Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Still amazes me using Barkeepers Friend for rust removal

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Still amazes me using Barkeepers Friend for rust removal

Old 08-10-20, 02:26 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Gonzobuster
What happened if I may ask?
I used a too-high concentration (since I didn't know) in an unventilated space. I coughed. Maybe my eyes burned. I didn't really suffer, but hearing about it later, I might have taken some years off my life. That was a few years ago, and I'm still OK so maybe I will be OK. But no one should do what I did.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-10-20, 03:00 PM
Swampthing 
Old and rusty

Bikes: 1983 Lotus, 1989 Haro Escape, Quax muni, KHS?, Nishiki Olympic 12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 64 Posts
Oxalate stones

Oxalate stones are beautiful.
but look like they wood be extremely painful.
move had a couple of stones, not an experience I’d risk again.
But you would have to drink it to risk them.
Old 08-10-20, 11:50 PM
Gonzobuster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I used a too-high concentration (since I didn't know) in an unventilated space. I coughed. Maybe my eyes burned. I didn't really suffer, but hearing about it later, I might have taken some years off my life. That was a few years ago, and I'm still OK so maybe I will be OK. But no one should do what I did.
Thanks for the warning. Only outside then, maybe I am even going to wear gloves.
Old 08-11-20, 02:32 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
Please handle oxalic acid carefully.....it has long-term health risks. .... Our bodies never flush it, and it accumulates with each exposure.
Where did you hear that?

Asked a biochemist friend. Said she’d never heard about it when used as a cleaner.
Oxalic acid - when consumed - can react with calcium ions in the blood and form calcium oxalate kidney stones. This can be bad news if you’re in the habit of bingeing on rhubarbs.
But even those are merely described as ”slow to dissolve”.
Looked up an industrial cleaner based on oxalic acid.
The Safety Data Sheet on that said explicitly that ”it degrades easily”, and ”bioaccumulation unlikely”.
While the SDS prescribed gloves for working with the industrial strength stuff, occasional exposure didn’t merit any sterner warning than ”wash hands prior to having a meal”.
Likes For dabac:
Old 08-11-20, 04:43 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 6,634 Times in 2,599 Posts
Tom, I’m sure you were exposed to far more carcinogens living in New Jersey than from the consequence of a sniff of oxalic acid.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 08-11-20, 08:33 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Originally Posted by dabac
Where did you hear that?

Asked a biochemist friend. Said she’d never heard about it when used as a cleaner.
Oxalic acid - when consumed - can react with calcium ions in the blood and form calcium oxalate kidney stones. This can be bad news if you’re in the habit of bingeing on rhubarbs.
But even those are merely described as ”slow to dissolve”.
Looked up an industrial cleaner based on oxalic acid.
The Safety Data Sheet on that said explicitly that ”it degrades easily”, and ”bioaccumulation unlikely”.
While the SDS prescribed gloves for working with the industrial strength stuff, occasional exposure didn’t merit any sterner warning than ”wash hands prior to having a meal”.
Originally Posted by nlerner
Tom, I’m sure you were exposed to far more carcinogens living in New Jersey than from the consequence of a sniff of oxalic acid.
@dabac, interesting. I heard it from a pharmacist friend. Maybe I don't need to be so cautious, but I will try to be reasonable.

Good point, @nlerner, and I also live in NYC (when there isn't a pandemic) which is also toxic.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 08-11-20, 10:39 PM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
@dabac, interesting. I heard it from a pharmacist friend. Maybe I don't need to be so cautious, but I will try to be reasonable.
Cautious is fine, particularly if using industrial strength stuff.
Or using commercial stuff hours daily.
But as far as I can tell, the danger lies in getting it INTO you, not onto you.
So keep being cautious, but let go of your worry from years before.
Over here, the only generally known concern regarding oxalic acid relates to preparing food items high in oxalic acid in aluminium cooking vessels. Not b/c of the oxalic acid, but b/c of the aluminium they dissolve.
Old 08-12-20, 05:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

@dabac, thanks. That's assuring. Of course, it was stupid of me not to look up how much strength to use. I had the industrial stuff, and the fumes made me cough, so I was over some limit, but I won't be doing it again. So if I have the industrial stuff in granulated form, how much of that to how much water should I use?

Old 08-12-20, 10:53 PM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
People say to remove rust stains from wood, you'd add 1oz of the solid acid to 1pt water. I've seen guides with similar concentrations for metal as well, but measured in tablespoons per gallon which is a little less quantitative. As a scientist I had to do the calculation to get to concentration units I understand. That represents roughly a 0.5M solution. That seems reasonable. We clean things in the lab with 1M HCl (a much stronger acid) and that won't hardly burn your skin and really doesn't fume much at all.

The fumes from any acid will irritate your lungs and bronchi and cause you to cough, but the damage should be short-lived as long as you don't go breathing it regularly.
Old 10-22-20, 04:06 AM
Gonzobuster

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by GMS
I let this soak over night in a container of water and a little Barkeeper Friend that has oxalic acid in it.Quick wipe down and it looks pretty good.

Does it only work when letting the parts SOAK in it for a longer time or can you also "apply" it with a brush or something similar (while such part may still stay attached to the bike)?
Old 10-22-20, 05:17 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts
I've used it in liquid form on a rag to clean up rusty spokes, handlebars, ect. Spokes I follow up with Never Dull wadding.
Old 10-22-20, 05:42 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
I had some bird crap on my car that had dried on, so I quickly grabbed a scouring pad and a water hose to clean it off. Unfortunately, said scouring pad had just been used to clean some stainless steel pots with, you guessed it, Barkeeper's Friend.

Wrecked the otherwise perfect paint job on my car. It may buff out, but that's taking a lot of work.
Old 10-22-20, 05:48 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Hmm, rhubarb.

Pie
Crunch
Strudel
rhubarb-strawberry preserves

If I can figure out how to use it to clean bikes....

Bacon grease as a chain lube just doesn’t last.
Old 10-22-20, 04:12 PM
GMS 
Bike Dealer since 1972

Bikes: Some of the bikes I've collected: Raleighs ( about 20), Trek ( oldest 1978 770 Columbus tubes), Mercian, Condor, Bob Jackson, Falcon, Holdsworth, Jacques Anquetil, Bianchi, LeMond, Cannondale, Schwinn, Iver Johnson, Dunelt

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 29 Posts
The acid in the cleaner needs to be on there wet for a while. I tried wrapping wet paper towels around but it does not work like soaking. Not sure what you are trying to get rust off but I thought these rod brakes were going to take a lot of time. Just a few minutes rubbing with ball of aluminum foil made a good start.