Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Didn't realize how much difference a couple centimetres makes

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Didn't realize how much difference a couple centimetres makes

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 01:19 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 874 Post(s)
Liked 2,287 Times in 1,278 Posts
I was 6’1” and now just 6’ . My legs are still long for my height with a 35” inseam, all legs! I like a 63cm bike but will ride smaller , say 60cm. I don’t really notice too much difference once they are set up for my comfort level. The most important thing for me , other than frame size, is stem length. The reason I like racing bikes is mainly because the top tube is short so with a 90-100mm stem is my sweet spot on the right bike. My favorite bike is my Medici and it is a 60cm with a 90mm stem with the seatpost raised a bit , the bike is just right. I don’t think our legs get shorter as we age , it is our trunk. Shorter cockpit(top tube length) is what works for me .
Old 08-12-20, 07:30 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
I'll argue that as you get shorter, your back also loses flexibility, meaning that the racy drop from saddle to bars you had in your youth becomes less and less comfortable. A larger frame has a taller head tube, which makes it easier to raise bars, given only a fixed amount of stem rise before you hit the "min, insertion" line. I am 5'-10" with PBH ~38 cm, shrinking like everyone, but have ridden a 63 cm frame comfortably for years -- have used the same saddle-to-pedal height for all my adult cycling years, even when I had a too-short-for-me 57 cm frame. I can ride a 60-62, but have no problem with the 63. I do have a somewhat "toes down" pedaling preference, which means a taller saddle location than many folks. Standover is not a problem, nor stops without a dismount, though mount and dismount themselves are getting a bit more challenging (see reduction in flexibility above) -- but I do that only once per roll, and I pedal constantly -- it helps if I remember to rotate the bike sideways a bit when doing either. Yeah, a sloping top tube, I know . . . but that's not in my bike fascination vocabulary. YMMV.

How are bikes with sloping top tubes "measured" conventionally, anyway?
Old 08-12-20, 01:02 PM
rovis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tricky
Ugh, sorry you missed out on that bike! Keep an eye out here on the for sale forums for a bike you think will fit or pick up a used one locally and we'll help you fix it up.
I have the option to buy the current one for a friendly price. Sure, a shinny brand new bike would be nice, but this Bianchi is not bad. Just a little worried that some specs (saddle position), and overall size might be at the lower limit for myself.
I'm not (yet) attached to any particular brand, so Specialized or others, are fine with me. I kind of like the Orbea M20, Scott Addict 10, etc. Most important for me is that I don't want to jump over $3k (too much) in case I decide to get a new bike, and an entry level carbon bike is more than sufficient for my current level of experience.
Old 08-12-20, 01:22 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
dimensions matter too I am nearly 5'11' but I have the short legs of my 5' 8" brothers so I am all torso which means I usually get a 58 cm bike have zero stand-over but the top tube works and makes the bike work. the funny thing is I rode a 54 cm cannondale for a decade before realizing it was too small
Old 08-12-20, 03:16 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by rovis
Same here. Used to consider myself 6'1" until a couple days ago. So I went under the ruler and found out that I'm now actually 6ft. only.
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I resemble that...... kind of shocked when I got actually measured for height at dr. offices and the reduction in height.
I was always 5'7" or 5'8". (I have 5'7" on my driver's license) I assumed I was getting shorter and I was shocked a couple of months ago to measure at 5'8" again. I had them check a few times.

FWIW- I got my driver's license renewed last summer. I had that license for almost a full year. Then one day I looked at it and saw that I was listed as being 6'7". So either I wrote down 67" or they fat fingered 5'7".

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.