Search
Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Sweet Home Alabama...

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-06, 05:54 AM
Tmax1
... .

Bikes: IF, Litespeed, Bianchi, Fisher, Dahon, Schwinn, Burley

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by af2nr
Haunted 100, group rides
How'd you like that one? Which groups?

We just moved to the Indian Springs area. Good riding out the door.

BamaCross in Montgomery Sunday 12/3- https://bamacross.blogspot.com
Old 11-28-06, 12:17 PM
af2nr
Ride First, Work Later!!!

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Trek Superfly, Raleigh Rush Hour

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tmax1
How'd you like that one? Which groups?

We just moved to the Indian Springs area. Good riding out the door.

BamaCross in Montgomery Sunday 12/3- https://bamacross.blogspot.com
It was pretty rough as I am still getting used to the hills here but overall a good ride and well supported. I have done a couple "group" rides from Cahaba Cycles Cahaba store, from Birmingham Bike Company and night rides with a couple of GC/Bike Link people. I have went and watched a couple of the cross events in Leeds. I am hoping to find a home with good riding otd soon...
Old 11-29-06, 04:45 AM
Tmax1
... .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
watched a couple of the cross events in Leeds. ...
Well, then we have crossed paths. See you out there some where...maybe at CC some Saturday morning.

~jg
Old 12-01-06, 10:23 PM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=Tmax1]There's a few of us out here...

~jg

just found this list and joined today. pretty new to biking (3 months) got bad knees and discovered biking. rode 6 miles today (500 ft up and down) but it was tough at 40 F. I ride otd but I have to go about a mile up the road and return back past the house to leave the dogs behind...I think they are getting in shape faster than me.

Coy Boy
Old 12-03-06, 07:18 PM
cartecs3

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale System Six , 2007 Gary Fisher Rig

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foulmouthfool
I'm not sure about Chewacla, I've never been there. I ride off road and heard that there was less than a mile of off road trail there so I've never checked it out. I should swing by there myself. I don't know how you guys ride wire road, I'm almost scared to drive it. I live down wire right past the lee/macon county line and ride TNF almost daily, weather permitting.

Auburn is a pretty nice town.
I used to ride out at TNF--the trail that runs through Taska Picnic area almost every day about 2 years ago when I was still in school at Auburn. It used to be pretty well maintained but I only ever saw like 3 people out there when I rode it so I dunno where all the maintainers came from. I got to know one of the Rangers pretty well since I also ran and hiked/wandered around out there too (mostly on Bartram Trail) and he said they never did much/anything to the MTB Trail (wasn't it called Pleasant Hill trail or something?)

How's the trail now? They expand on it or build any other MTB accesible trails or open up the half of Bartram that got closed to MTBs?
Old 12-05-06, 06:43 PM
Tmax1
... .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coyboy
dogs...I think they are getting in shape faster than me.

Coy Boy
yup. they're like that them dogs.

welcome.

~jg
Old 12-05-06, 10:22 PM
coyboy

Bikes: Easy Racer Tour Easy, Bumblebeast (off road recumbent), Trek 5.2 Pilot, Rans Dynamik, Rans Alterra Ti

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
yup. they're like that them dogs.

welcome.

~jg
I rode about 13 miles today but the first 4 were just to leave Freckles (the dog) behind. I rode the mile out to the top of the mountain then back and a mile the other way then back. It was cold and I had on lots of clothes and I was hot by the time I was able to slow down and just enjoy the ride. Both times I met Nellie Sweat Pee (the other dog) at about the 1/2 mile mark. She is smarter than Freckles...

The coast down the mountain was cool and I do mean cool. But coming back up was hot as usual. I really need to get a rear rack to keep my jacket, tying it around my waist is not the best solution.

Coy Boy
Old 12-06-06, 05:17 AM
Tmax1
... .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where the heck is Grant?

Nellie Sweet Pee and Freckles are getting their exercise too, eh?

Be care-full if you get a rack to also get a rack trunk / bag so you can put you're jacket in it.

A stray jacket sleeve can play havoc in the spokes and quite possibly land you off that mountain with Nellie Sweet Pee trying to wake you up.

~jg
Old 12-06-06, 10:42 AM
coyboy

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
[QUOTE=Tmax1]Where the heck is Grant?

Northeast Al. sleepy little town between Huntsville and Guntersville

https://www.grantalabama.com/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grant,_Alabama

Coy Boy
Old 12-07-06, 02:17 PM
Tmax1
... .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been to Guntersville. Have relatives in Boaz. Visit us down in the 'ham sometime. ~jg
Old 12-12-06, 09:17 PM
Wheels4

Bikes: Cannondale, Trek, Cervelo and Santana

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 14 Posts
hey guys... i'm in alabaster(just south of birmingham) too. I've been wanting to do group rides for a very long time... i guess i need to bite the bullet and just do one. currently, i'm commuting more than i am any other kind of riding.

Tmax, i think we've spoken before... not in person, but on here.
Old 12-15-06, 05:10 AM
Tmax1
... .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wheels4
i think we've spoken before... not in person, but on here.
You might be right...Hello. ~jg
Old 01-25-07, 09:00 PM
roadCruiser76

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Expert Disc, Orbea Aletta, Fuji Transonic,Specialized Sequoia

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 3 Posts
No one here from Montgomery, I notice. I'll be moving down there when my house in the DC area sells. Markets are slow both up here and in Alabama, apparently. I guess I'll be driving up to Birmingham a lot for organized bike rides.
Old 01-30-07, 10:50 PM
Wheels4

anyone in Decatur? My wife and I relocating there and it would nice to have some riding buddies...
Old 02-03-07, 07:34 AM
Tmax1
... .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
To the above posters:

You will find organized rides in both Montgomery and Decatur. Decatur is close enough to Huntsville and Spring City Cycling Club. Montgomery has Montgomery Bike Club. Both of which are active and viable with strong riders.
Old 02-03-07, 05:18 PM
Wheels4

thanks for the link Tmax... I appreciate it.
Old 02-05-07, 06:15 AM
Tmax1
... .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once you get settled come on up to Birmingham if you get a chance.

Birmingham Bike Club

~jerry
Old 02-23-07, 09:43 PM
af2nr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the Huntsville/Shoals area has lots of great rides, at least the SCCC rides I have been on have been good. Also anyone on here doing any racing? I plan to give that a go this year and do lots more organized rides as well...
Old 02-23-07, 11:09 PM
Tmax1
... .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might race a little with GCC. I'm trying to get a bike built up for cross season...gathering parts. Looking for a frame I have stuck in my head a frame. You know one of those gotta have things.

GS Montagna training race on Sunday check this link for more info:

poke around for race flyer on the right of the page
Old 02-25-07, 09:47 AM
af2nr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I might race a little with GCC. I'm trying to get a bike built up for cross season...gathering parts. Looking for a frame I have stuck in my head a frame. You know one of those gotta have things.

GS Montagna training race on Sunday check this link for more info:

poke around for race flyer on the right of the page
Yeah that is actually where I am about to head out to. I plan to do these as well as some of the Spring City ones. The end of March is the Tour de Tuscaloosa and April 7th there is a race out at Barber's as well. Maybe I'll see you around, I'm Scott on the Scott...
Old 03-01-07, 08:01 AM
Tmax1
... .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah that is actually where I am about to head out to. I plan to do these as well as some of the Spring City ones. The end of March is the Tour de Tuscaloosa and April 7th there is a race out at Barber's as well. Maybe I'll see you around, I'm Scott on the Scott...
Cool. I'm Jerry on one of them bikes...probably the IF...but may be the single speed with the green chainring.
Old 03-01-07, 09:54 AM
KrautFed
cars are fun

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
B'ham here, actually the 280 area. Just moved back here in August after separating from the Air Force. Lots of good riding so far, LiveStrong and Haunted 100 for organized rides here to date, and lots of group rides as well. Currently looking for a home that is convienent to good riding out the door, right now I have to load up to get anywhere to ride.
Long time no talk. I started changing my workout to build muscle end of '06 but ended up pulling a hamstring. I was leary of getting stranded somewhere because I mostly cycle solo during weird hours, so I've honestly been off the bike since then (Octoberish). I hit the weights and put on 20 lbs in all the right places, but it has probably slowed me way down on a cycle. I have been staying in check on a stationary/spinner, but I can only take 15-20 minutes straight before my brain starts shutting down from boredom.

I'm in Birmingham. When I did ride, I commuted from Irondale to Downtown, which is an extremely enjoyable commute. When I left off in October I was trying to beat my car commute time with my bike commute time (which was within ~7 minute difference), and I'm POSITIVE I could do it now becuase I'm now in a closer parking deck. It is closer, but my parking spot is on 8th floor which takes forever to get to in the deck traffic by car... I lock up the bike on the 1st floor.

I went to see my father last night in Gardendale and he was telling me that some guys up there are looking to start doing group rides north of the city, which is a change from the Mountain Brook/Homewood weekly rides and the south of town rides. He has also lost a bunch of weight, and wants to ride with me some which I will definitely take him up on his offer.

See you guys around. Doesnt look like I'll be making the Whistlestop this year like I wanted to. My feet are really messed up.
Old 03-03-07, 06:38 AM
Tmax1
... .

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As unofficial moderator of this thread I welcome you KrautFed. I can only imagine the source of your screen name.

I know of one guy who lives in Morris, up 31 from G'dale and puts together rides up there. We, our little group, often ride in the Brookside area also north and west of there. March 17th i believe it is, there is the Brookside Festival with an organized road ride,the "Frenchie Negron Classic", a MTB race, a 5K run and a Little Miss Brookside Pageant.

Maybe I'll see you there. (If you're up for a hilly ride.)

Tmax1 AKA Jerry
Old 03-04-07, 04:30 PM
apeter
not a hipster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by foulmouthfool
I'm not sure about Chewacla, I've never been there. I ride off road and heard that there was less than a mile of off road trail there so I've never checked it out. I should swing by there myself. I don't know how you guys ride wire road, I'm almost scared to drive it. I live down wire right past the lee/macon county line and ride TNF almost daily, weather permitting.

Auburn is a pretty nice town.
I'm in auburn as well. Chewacla is pretty nice. I don't do anything off road so I don't know about the trails, but its a nice place to go for a short hike or just be outside on a weekend. I know, outside in your freetime without being on your bike sounds like a silly idea, but if you HAVE to there are worse places to be than Chewacla.

You're most likely to see me on campus, bright blue 84 peugeot!
Old 03-04-07, 05:55 PM
apeter
not a hipster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by teambhultima
OOPS - Sorry. No offense intended. I grew up in Auburn. 1st grade... Auburn High... Auburn Univ.
Is Chewacla Park still a nice place to ride? We used to ride out Moore's Mill Rd (or was it Grant's Mill?) and then up to the top of Chewacla, throw the Frisbee and climb the rocks, then ride back. Other memorable rides included Wire Rd out to Tuskegee National Forest (across the Interstate) to play Ultimate Frisbee on the grass farm and the best was riding out Hwy 14 to Tallassee on the weekend to eat the lunch buffet at Hotel Tallasee. For a fun road course with great curves, good hills and minimal traffic, ride around Cary Drive off of N. College. It's about 2 miles around. That's where I grew up.
I definatly rode down Cary Drive two days ago, I'm going to buy a place in the area. It made a nice quick ride. Cool neighborhood. And I've had some fun dimes camping in Tuskegee and out at Chewacla.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.