Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What's your NEXT commuter bike build/purchase gonna be?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-11, 07:59 AM
steve-in-kville 
Warehouse Monkey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 2 Posts

Every late winter/spring I buy or build another bike, at least I aim to. Sometimes I buy one, sometimes I've aquired an old frame or complete bike that I make a winter project out of.

Like many here, I no more than finish one bike and get it road-worthy, and I am thinking about the next bike or build. And then I need to decide what role my previous ride will serve (I don't plan to sell any bikes right now...).

For me, I have a Schwinn early 90's MTB that was my younger brother's. My parents had it squirreled away and they gave it to me to fix up. Its gonna take a few parts (like a handlebar and maybe new brakes), as well as the usual accessories like fenders, lights, racks, etc.

So what is your next purchase or rebuild project gonna be?

Or maybe you're looking at your first ride.... what are looking at?

Last edited by steve-in-kville; 10-22-11 at 08:00 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-22-11, 09:29 AM
azesty
Hot in China

Bikes: Giant Lava

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just finished a major overhaul on my commuter, rear cassette, front and rear derailleurs, cranks, chain, cables, sheaths, shifters and brake handles, as well as a new pair of forks. It should be set to last me until June when I finish working here in China.

After that I will ride from here to Turkey. My touring bike, a Surly LHT, has everything it needs now, I think. And I have nearly all the gear...

So, I guess, nothing!

z

P.S. I cant decide if that is depressing or not!
Old 10-22-11, 09:45 AM
ChrisO
of Clan Nrubso

Bikes: Cannondale F400, Surly LHT,Motobecane Le Champion Ti, Novara Veloce

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For me, I'm wanting something in between my LHT and my Moto; so I'm leaning toward possibly a Surly Pacer-
https://surlybikes.com/bikes/pacer

But then the LBS got in one of these Raleigh Furleys which I thought was pretty slick too-
https://www.raleighusa.com/bikes/steel-road/furley-12/

Only problem with the Furley is that it comes as a single speed, which I'm not willing to deal with, but it has the drop out and cassette hub so you can convert it to derailleur.
Old 10-22-11, 09:58 AM
SurlyLaika

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I want a fixed gear, probably a Wabi.
Old 10-22-11, 04:04 PM
matimeo

Bikes: It's the motor, not the bike, right?

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
When I first got into cycling I would collect bikes, selling some along the way. This year I decided I was tired of collecting so many bikes and to downsize to just one. I bought a nice cyclocross bike that can meet varied needs and have gotten rid if all others e. My wife calls it my "forever bike" because when I bought it, to justify the expense, I told her this was going to be my one and only. No plans to collect anymore bikes for a long time. I actually like it better this way. Not to say there is anything wrong with the way the OP does it. I was the same for many years.
Old 10-22-11, 04:08 PM
phillybill

Bikes: paratrooper, bullhead, cdale bad boy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i am in the process of taking my winter Jamis Coda rebuild and making it an E-bike......
Old 10-22-11, 04:10 PM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Right now I commute on a hard tail Trek 4300 with skinny tires and bags and lights and everything - I'm looking at a three-speed to replace it with the internal hub shifter, it's a Schwinn IG3. But I need to look at it more, but it looks good on paper for a utilitarian/commuting device
Old 10-22-11, 04:15 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'm going to have track ends and canti bosses welded on my old Trek 660. I've only ever run it as a SSFG and this will let me race it as a SSCX during the fall and as a fendered FG commuter during the rest of the year.
Old 10-22-11, 04:27 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Don't know what the next one will be, just that it have clearance for wide tires w/fenders and chain stays long enough for me not to worry about heel strike ever again...
Old 10-22-11, 04:39 PM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
I have all the bikes I could ever want or need but am always tinkering and experimenting...

My Kuwahara Shasta has been my primary all season commuter for some years and this summer I changed the 3 speed dual drive and restored the 18 speed geared drive train and the bike could not get much better than it is... I liken it to an 80's version of the LHT and it is a far better frame and fork with a nice XT group.

Have pondered using an IGH like the Shimano 11 speed or maybe an 8 speed with the new Patterson dual drive crank... but am in no rush a I really like what I have here.

I sold my old commuter (a Trek 7500) to a friend that needed a great bike and because the Trek and the Kuwahara were set up to perform the same functions... I could ride either bike all day, take them anywhere, and handle some pretty intense utility usage and trailer towing.
Old 10-22-11, 04:40 PM
WestonP

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I've been putting 100+ miles a week on my Marin hybrid but it's pretty heavy. I ride mostly on paved trails and streets in Houston and I'd like something faster but no road bike could handle my shortcuts. I think a Cyclocross might be just the thing. Saving up for a C'dale or Specialized, these two are in my price range.

https://www.rei.com/product/827847/ca...dx-6-bike-2012
https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...name=Multi+Use

Last edited by WestonP; 10-22-11 at 05:37 PM.
Old 10-23-11, 03:50 AM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 123 Post(s)
Liked 528 Times in 246 Posts
Not planning to buy a new bike. However at my current rate of usage I'll probably want to replace the rear cassette and chain by next spring (around 10 000km total), so I was thinking of also replacing the derailleurs, crank, bottom bracket, and shifters with the Tiagra flat bar group for a good upgrade from the mix of Sora, Deore, and non-series components I'm running right now.
Old 10-23-11, 04:20 AM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12768 Post(s)
Liked 7,683 Times in 4,078 Posts
I'm gonna get this one together. 1989-ish MTB of some sort. I got a Suntour XC rear brake on since this pic. Going to grab a Novara Aspen donor bike for $5 tomorrow which should get me everything except seatpost and saddle (unless the Aspen's seatpost diameter miraculously matches this one).

2011-10-18_16-33-13_808.jpg by Lester Of Puppets, on Flickr
Old 10-23-11, 08:36 AM
horus11B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I recently got ahold of a mid 80's schwinn sprint. I plan on stripping it down to bare metal and running the bike through a full nitride process. This is the ultimate in corrosion resistance and luckily I can get it done for really cheap. Flat black with reprinted white graphics. I just purchased a set of 7 speed indexed bar end shifters to go in the ends of my newly purchased bullhorn bar that i'll wrap in white.

I also plan on attempting to refinish the rear and front derailler (actually all of the chrome) in a "black chrome" look which involves dipping the metal after polishing in a couple solutions. Should be a nice commuter when I get done.

Right now the trouble is finding a set of 27 inch wheels that are black. Although I guess I could always convert to 700c...

This is going to end up costing me too much money I think.
Old 10-23-11, 09:09 AM
Igo

Bikes: Giant Defy 2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute on a Giant Defy II. It was to stay my "slick/fast" bike but I evolved as a commuter and its ended up with racks and lights and the like. Now I am making sure it is all the Fred I need to be a strict viable means of transportation and am about to purchase what will stay my "slick/fast" bike. The commuter doesn't have low enough gears to deal with some of the fantastic grades we have around here but it's great for my commute and bopping around the city. The new bike will have 23/700 tires and a 32 teeth low rear sprocket is it will be both fast and will climb. That would be the Giant Composite Apex.
Old 10-23-11, 09:54 AM
Indigo Mule
Persist

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I had my "dream bike" built for my commuter, so won't be replacing it. I am rethinking the Alfine 11, though. I had to have the first one replaced, and if I have to do that again, I may downgrade to the more reliable Nexus 8. (Although I think about swapping it for a Rohloff...I love overkill.)
Old 10-23-11, 10:08 AM
MNBikeCommuter

Bikes: Cannondale '92 T600 '95 H600 '01 RT1000

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 82 Posts
I have no idea, although the Renovo Elwood looks intriguing. Pricey? Yeah, but I'm putting in 5k+ miles a year commuting. My current steed is my '92 Cannondale T600 touring bike with 85k miles on it. As components have worn out, it's been upgraded to the Ultegra/XTR/XT level and is still serving me very well.
Old 10-23-11, 11:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Tail-light re mounting , needs to be lower, than seat post,
so my rain cape wont cover it..

It's a Bike Friday, so sticking it on the mudguard , won't work ,
as the rear section folds ..

Take a cue from my Brompton on that , and the bracket they made
may be adopted.

Last edited by fietsbob; 10-23-11 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-23-11, 11:36 AM
BarracksSi
Bike ≠ Car ≠ Ped.

Bikes: Some bikes. Hell, they're all the same, ain't they?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Titanium frame with disc brake mounts and bosses for routing wiring from the dynohub to the lights, which will be on the fork crown and rear rack. Haven't decided on the drivetrain, though, but it'll have drop bars for sure. Fenders, too. Probably a Brooks saddle as well.

The Lynskey Cooper looks pretty close to a starting point.
Old 10-23-11, 01:10 PM
FunkyStickman
On a Mission from God

Bikes: '10 Surly LHT, Rat-rod Klunker, '82 Peugeot PH12 Centennial

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by azesty
My touring bike, a Surly LHT, has everything it needs now, I think. And I have nearly all the gear...

So, I guess, nothing!
This. My bike will go anywhere, any time, no questions. Don't need another bike. By the time I finish building my trike, I won't need it anymore.

I do need a new helmet, though... maybe another set of panniers. My last set of saddlebags got messed up.
Old 10-23-11, 03:03 PM
idc

Bikes: quite a few

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
"Rebuild" project - not really, just an upgrade. New disc compatible wheels and some front Avid BB7s to my MTB, and putting on Nokian tires (240 studs up front, 160 on the back). This will become my dedicated winter/wet bike. It's currently my main commuter but doesn't have disc brakes and runs on 26x1.25 slicks. One day I'll get a Surly 1x1 fork to replace the heavy stock Suntour front shock, and then after that I'll maybe even re-do the drivetrain to have wider gearing and no FD. Maybe 1x9 or 1x10.

New commuter bike - sometime in 2012 or beyond... a lightweight drop bar disc road bike. I'd want 105 or similar or better. Frame material undecided, but titanium is my preference right now. Must have enough tire clearance for 700c x 35 or wider and full fenders. I'm sick of my commuting choice being a 30 lb MTB or a 20 lb 700c x 23 aluminum bike, and I want to be able to ride light trails. Something like 50/34, 11-28 gearing.

Last edited by idc; 10-23-11 at 03:34 PM.
Old 10-23-11, 03:13 PM
SouthFLpix

Bikes: 2007 Giant Cypress DX, Windsor Tourist 2011

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'd like to try a Surly frame, maybe if they go on sale. I already have the components I would put on it.
Old 10-23-11, 04:14 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
Serious considering a commuter with 406 size wheels, perhaps in concept similar to a Raleigh 20 or SOMA mini velo - working on the components etc.
Perhaps Ti frame, Rohlof [or alfine 11] drive train, SON hub, ...

Last edited by martianone; 10-23-11 at 04:16 PM. Reason: etc.
Old 10-23-11, 04:35 PM
gear

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Heated grips
Old 10-23-11, 05:43 PM
roashru

Bikes: sport touring with small front back baskets. 17 mph

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
something cyclocross chromoly frame and fork.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.