Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Frame building as a business

Search
Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Frame building as a business

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-12, 01:27 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4224 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,803 Posts
Originally Posted by Cassave
Ha! I met Bruce Gordon at his shop in Eugene back in late '79 and he told me the same thing. Great way to starve.
He said pretty much the same thing to Velouria of Lovely Bicycle when she met him at interbike this year.

Old 10-10-12, 04:54 PM
MassiveD

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Gordon does drop in here from time to time, the site anyway. The problem with this biz is that if you are unsuccessful, well, you know. And if you are successful, the upside, even if you become Trek, is pretty much capped. There are a lot of folks that would be happy with gordon's success, but for the person living it, what could they have done in another field of endeavour. One can at least have those thoughts if one loses touch with the reasons one was initially taken with bike building.

I was in Toronto yesterday, and I have to admit that there were a dramatic number of bikes even compared to half a year ago. Nothing like 6 buck gas. I don't know that these people who are escaping the pump are a sure bet for a custom builder, but it has to help, and help build new cyclists who will deal with custom builders.
Old 07-07-20, 04:26 PM
Boluker

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Documents are needed for this. I myself want to start such a business, but I would be glad if someone would tell me people who could help me
Old 07-07-20, 05:47 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,687 Times in 2,510 Posts
Boluker: welcome to the forum, where do you live?
Old 07-07-20, 08:44 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
There are people all over that can offer advise. But having done my own many years ago (LBS, not framebuilding) I found the local community's resources to be most valuable. Being able to pick up the phone and talk with a person who knows more than you do is worth a lot.

A lawyer and tax man are first. Understanding what you are required to record and report is very important not only in the avoidance of penalty but of saving much time and frustration later on as you grow and learn about running a business. To further make my point. Our society makes running a business both a right and a responsibility. Stuff like insurance, resale tax collection and it's deposit with your state, local building and health regs, are what all workers and our customers expect, rightfully so. To base a business of sliding around these obligations is just wrong and will usually result in a failed long term existence.

Contact the various suppliers that you will buy raw materials/components from and find out their requirements and how they do their business. (Billing, shipping, insurance, business, and more).

Contact your banker. You do have a relationship with a bank, don't you?

Have you looked into the location aspects yet? Many home/apartment insurance or building code restrictions prevent the joining tooling we need. Handshake deals are great till something goes wrong.

Have you considered the marketing aspects yet? In year two or three? Having a 5 year business plan is essential for both your control of growth and other's being confident in investing in you.

Note that none of this has anything to do with mitering, fitting, painting or actually making a frame. because what you are proposing is nit making a frame but a business. There's a huge difference. The frame making should be the easy and quick part of all this. Andy