Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

why don't they sell these in the US?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 02-12-15, 10:02 AM
jsohn

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert for the road, EBS skovcykel for visitors, and a Trek ST720 and a Cube Travel SL for commuting

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so I just got a new commuter bike to replace the bike I brought from the US...it just couldn't handle the daily use and abuse of Copenhagen commuting. here's a link to it: ST720 - Trek Bicycle

it is part of the trek Scandinavian city-bike project.

I added a rear-rack and a magnet dynamo back light (https://www.reelight.com/dk/produkte...il-sandelpind/) that i also haven't seen in the US...

so my question is: why doesn't a market like Portland or New York or San Francisco, etc. support the sale of this type of bike in the US?
Old 02-12-15, 10:06 AM
Leebo

Bikes: Kona Dawg, Surly 1x1, Karate Monkey, Rockhopper, Crosscheck , Burley Runabout,

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 66 Posts
They do.
Old 02-12-15, 10:12 AM
jsohn

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Expert for the road, EBS skovcykel for visitors, and a Trek ST720 and a Cube Travel SL for commuting

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
where? I was trying to find them on the trek website for my brother in law, but I couldn't find them with internal gears and dynamo hubs in the US store...
Old 02-12-15, 10:17 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jsohn
where? I was trying to find them on the trek website for my brother in law, but I couldn't find them with internal gears and dynamo hubs in the US store...
https://www.reelight.com/dk/distributorer/
Old 02-12-15, 10:21 AM
jsohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
sweet...I didn't realize qbp distributed reelight...but as for the trek...that was the bigger issue...what I was really looking for...
Old 02-12-15, 10:28 AM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
....so my question is: why doesn't a market like Portland or New York or San Francisco, etc. support the sale of this type of bike in the US?
I'm in New York City and they have bikes like that; they're called Citbikes - the bike share system.

Me, I'm happy with my Brompton S6L-X folding bike; steel/titanium, reflective stripe on the wheels,
hub gears, SRAM/Brompton gears with 6 speed and my own powerful battery operated lights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G74...IoDLA&index=14
Old 02-12-15, 10:41 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
sweet...I didn't realize qbp distributed reelight...but as for the trek...that was the bigger issue...what I was really looking for...
because igh bikes don't sell in the usa. for example, trek heavily promoted the soho for years and discontinued it due to a profound lack of interest.

2013 Soho Deluxe - Bike Archive - Trek Bicycle

FAIL!

i should note that i tested the soho and was completely unimpressed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
31AQB5wQADL._SY300_.jpg (5.0 KB, 43 views)
Old 02-12-15, 10:42 AM
jsohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am sure you love your brompton and I would too, but at about 4x the price of the trek, it really isn't in the same league. And the SOHO was the same problem...expensive belt drive system that never caught on.

I guess...when it gets down to it, I'm looking for an affordable (sub $700 ish) ready to go off the shelf (add fenders or a rack maybe and that's it) bike that has internal gears, dynamo hubs, and isn't a classic or dutch-style bike. It seems like a lot of people on this forum essentially build the trek st720, so why wouldn't they sell it in the US market ready to go...since the bike is already in production here?
Old 02-12-15, 10:45 AM
spare_wheel

Bikes: NA

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
I'm in New York City and they have bikes like that; they're called Citbikes - the bike share system.

Me, I'm happy with my Brompton S6L-X folding bike; steel/titanium, reflective stripe on the wheels,
hub gears, SRAM/Brompton gears with 6 speed and my own powerful battery operated lights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_G74...IoDLA&index=14
Folders are classic city bikes in asia and the UK but somehow I never see people from these nations troll bike forums about their bike preference.
Old 02-12-15, 10:48 AM
TroN0074
Unracer Cyclist

Bikes: Huffy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am just curious what bike did you take from the USA and why didnt handle the commute in Copenhagen.
Old 02-12-15, 10:52 AM
jsohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just looking for a bike that like the one trek makes for here in denmark...since I happen to like it and my brother in law wanted something similar...and when we went to look, we couldn't find it on the shelves anywhere...there are plenty of folding bikes on the US market, but they are expensive...and that just isn't an option for some of us...

so, has anyone seen anything on the normal market that is similar to the ST720 - Trek Bicycle on the US market...we just don't have the disposable cash to build up something from a new bike or the time to bring something old back to life.
Old 02-12-15, 10:55 AM
jsohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TroN0074
I am just curious what bike did you take from the USA and why didnt handle the commute in Copenhagen.
I brought a giant via 1, the frame and components (particularly the brakes) couldn't handle the sort of water and salt torture that is normal every-day for bikes during a Copenhagen winter. The drop outs started to fail after only a couple months and the brakes were on the way out...the bike I got here has had no such issues with the same use...though they did say that the metal of the frame has been treated with something to make it more resistant...
Old 02-12-15, 10:56 AM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Have you looked at Bikesdirect.com? They have this one for $549:
City Bikes Save up to 60% off new Motobecane Bistro 8V Deluxe Aluminum City Bikes from bikesdirect.com

They also have a few others along those lines. Disclaimer: I've never bought from them. There is plenty of pro/con discussion of them on this forum. But I do notice that a lot of the bike pictures on this forum are bikesdirect bikes.
Old 02-12-15, 10:57 AM
PennyTheDog
Fork and spoon operator

Bikes: 2013 Surly Crosscheck, 1990 Schwinn Impact, 1973 Schwinn Continental

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
... here's another similar one for $499:
Save Up to 60% Off Town Bikes | Classic, Stylish Eight Speed City Bikes | Urban Bikes | Commuter Road Bikes | Windsor Kensington 8 from bikesdirect.com
Old 02-12-15, 11:09 AM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
I am sure you love your brompton and I would too, but at about 4x the price of the trek, it really isn't in the same league. And the SOHO was the same problem...expensive belt drive system that never caught on.

I guess...when it gets down to it, I'm looking for an affordable (sub $700 ish) ready to go off the shelf (add fenders or a rack maybe and that's it) bike that has internal gears, dynamo hubs, and isn't a classic or dutch-style bike. It seems like a lot of people on this forum essentially build the trek st720, so why wouldn't they sell it in the US market ready to go...since the bike is already in production here?
Because the folks on BF who build that kind of bike represent a tiny fraction of the US market. Maybe that will change in a few years.
Old 02-12-15, 11:13 AM
bmthom.gis

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon 4 Rival; 2014 Cannondale Trail 7 29; 1972 Schwinn Suburban, 1996 Proflex 756, 1987(?) Peugeot, Dahon Speed P8; 1979 Raleigh Competition GS; 1995 Stumpjumper M2 FS, 1978 Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Prologue

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
This is kind of close, if you can handle belt drives
Raleigh Bicycles - Mesika 4.0 i8
Raleigh Bicycles - Misceo 4.0 i8
Old 02-12-15, 11:50 AM
velocity
Dart Board

Bikes: 13 Super Six EVO Red, 2005 Six13, 2015 CAADX

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll stick with my Cannondales and not move to Europe. Although I would love to visit Ireland, Scotland and England in that order someday. Glad you got a good bike.

V
Old 02-12-15, 11:58 AM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
I think Breezer makes bikes like that.
Old 02-12-15, 12:00 PM
Coluber42

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There are a number of brands smaller than Trek that offer bikes in the USA that come with racks and fenders, IGH, and in some cases dyno hubs and lighting. Breezer comes to mind, as well as some others. Places like Portland, Seattle, even Boston have shops that make a point of seeking them out and importing if they have to. My gut impression is that while it's not yet a big segment of the market in the US, it is growing.
Old 02-12-15, 01:14 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
I brought a giant via 1, the frame and components (particularly the brakes) couldn't handle the sort of water and salt torture that is normal every-day for bikes during a Copenhagen winter. The drop outs started to fail after only a couple months and the brakes were on the way out...the bike I got here has had no such issues with the same use...though they did say that the metal of the frame has been treated with something to make it more resistant...
I believe. The cobblestones at my flat chewed up the bike!
Old 02-12-15, 01:19 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
The Factory in Taiwan ships around the world, different country distributors have different specifications ..

One sells , out of the box, fully kitted out bikes for More money ,
another prefers a stripped down bike they can sell for less, then consumers pick their own Accessories..

You are asking consumers, at the wrong end of the supply chain , call Trek Corporate HQ and ask there.
Old 02-12-15, 02:39 PM
jsohn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The breezer bikes look really good...this one Breezer Bikes - Finesse - Bike Overview looks just about perfect...just about double the budget though...The windsors look pretty similar to the giant via 1 that I had...

I still find it strange that IGH have all but disappeared on the US market...they just work so well...anyway, I'll keep looking...
Old 02-12-15, 02:53 PM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
The breezer bikes look really good...this one Breezer Bikes - Finesse - Bike Overview looks just about perfect...just about double the budget though...The windsors look pretty similar to the giant via 1 that I had...

I still find it strange that IGH have all but disappeared on the US market...they just work so well...anyway, I'll keep looking...
They have. No one buys them. No idea why as they're great bikes
Old 02-12-15, 02:57 PM
CrankyOne

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
There are a number of IGH city bikes available in the US: Workcycles, Azor, Batavus, Bobbin, Breezer, Pashley, and others. Check near the bottom for manufacturers and dealers: City Bikes | LocalMile
Old 02-12-15, 03:08 PM
kickstart

Bikes: 2005 Gazelle Golfo, 1935 Raleigh Sport, 1970 Robin Hood sport, 1974 Schwinn Continental, 1984 Ross MTB/porteur, 2013 Flying Piegon path racer, 2014 Gazelle Toer Populair T8

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

They are out there and demand is growing. Personally I now consider derailleur shifting, and rim brakes as totally unacceptable and won't even consider a bike that has them.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.