Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

What does your choice of bike say about you?

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

What does your choice of bike say about you?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-13, 03:12 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
When on allez: the guy is not poor but doesn't have much money. that's a pretty tired looking bike. Poor guy.
When on mares: that guy is practical and also cares about his bike. Not bad looking at all Nd very practical.
When on supersix: idk coz I never rode it but I'd imagine something like look at that fat but riding that expensive bike, can't even go too fast.
Old 11-14-13, 03:26 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
I am not fussed what people think. I will use the bike best suited to the job I want it to do. And I will wear the clothing that best suits that function. Like RaleighSport, my cycling wardrobe can be just about anything that is in my... wardrobe (well, on the floor at the moment, seeing I don't have a wardrobe).

I do like being different from others, too. So my next bike will likely be a home-built Xtracycle, then a folder and then maybe a two-wheel, high-wheel recumbent.

The most attention I have gotten is pulling a large trailer I built, toting bikes, or computer stuff or bike mechanics gear. That was something really unusual around here.

Last edited by Rowan; 11-14-13 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-14-13, 04:39 PM
mrodgers

Bikes: 2014 Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 289 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
All depends on how you define a POS bike.

IMO, you have a valuable bike, i.e. it has provided low cost trouble free service and has been quite a value.

In contrast, the ultra expensive ($11,000+) designer bike such as the the Hermes is unlikely to ever provide any value except to those whole value bloated price tags and eye candy over cycling service. To me the Hermes is an ultra expensive POS only bought by silly willies with lots of cash.
Tis true, it is valuable. For me it is 30 lb. so far and 375 triglycerides down to 208 triglycerides valuable . I have a Wellness check at work tomorrow and haven't been riding the bike for the last month as well as cheating a good bit on diet, so we'll see how the cholesterol and triglycerides are 13 hours from now.
Old 11-14-13, 09:31 PM
Rowan

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 1454 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 40 Posts
What I call a free tip bike -- a 1980s MTB with steel wheels from the local rubbish dump -- was my commuter for four or five years. I replaced the wheels with others that also came from the dump. It had a steel frame, crappy gears and shifters and not-so-good brakes. But it served its purpose very well, and I eventually returned it from whence it came (with a touch of sadness). It cost me all of about $30 over that time. I think I even got a pair of MTB tyres from the dump at one stage, although I forked out $18 once for another pair of slick-style tyre via a mail order.

I could very well have looked like a vagrant riding to and from work in work boots, stained jeans, and work top. It probably confused the hell out of the neighbours when I set off on weekend century rides on shiny clean road bikes and wearing "the kit".
Old 11-15-13, 01:01 AM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
This must be the only BF subforum where people brag about how cheap their bikes are instead of how expensive. I love it!

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-15-13, 08:14 AM
plustax

Bikes: 90's Campione,90's trek multitrack,2005 trek 3700

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hipster.
Old 11-15-13, 08:28 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Bikes: See my sig...

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 96 Posts
As a winter cyclist it does not matter what I ride for many people to think I am a lunatic... I think the folder will just add to that mystique.

Old 11-15-13, 08:39 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Sixty Fiver
As a winter cyclist it does not matter what I ride for many people to think I am a lunatic... I think the folder will just add to that mystique.

That's a 20 yes?
Old 11-15-13, 08:45 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Yep... 1973 model.

After selling my old winter bike, a Norco mtb with a 3 speed hub laced to 26 inch wheels, I felt that I still needed a 3 speed for some shorter winter trips so fitted the 20 inch Marathon winter tyres which makes for an extremely stable and sticky ride.

It is a bike anyone in our home can use now that the girls are taller.
Old 11-15-13, 09:01 AM
surreal

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
I think most ppl, including serious cyclists, will have difficulty translating what someone's cycle is "saying" about its owner. While one cyclist might look at a late-80s mtb fitted with slick tires, panniers, and fenders as "a practical bike", another might look at the same rig and think "this guy wasted time and effort on the wrong build", and still another might just think the owner is broke, or some sort of wild-eyed bikenerd. Non-cyclists may have trouble distinguishing the same bike from a high-end purpose-built touring bike.

I think, part of cycling's appeal is that there are so many possible interpretations. I think many of us (and I'm sometimes guilty, though I try not to be) tend to focus on derisive, snooty translations of a given bike's "message", but it's a lot more fun to be positive about stuff. Whenever I'm in Phila, which has far more commuters than South Jersey, I like to check out all of the various bikes locked up as I walk around. So many bicycle messages to consider.... (I also routinely check out the bikes locked up at the light rail station in my hometown; there are some really interesting ones there, too.)
Old 11-15-13, 09:07 AM
RaleighSport
Hogosha Sekai

Bikes: Leader 725, Centurion Turbo, Scwhinn Peloton, Schwinn Premis, GT Tequesta, Bridgestone CB-2,72' Centurion Lemans, 72 Raleigh Competition

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts
65er: looks great and practical to me! Even better the whole family can use it.
Old 11-15-13, 09:17 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
For Bill Cunningham, fashion photographer extraordinaire, it probably means the bike hasn't been stolen yet.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 11-15-13, 10:07 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Artkansas
For Bill Cunningham, fashion photographer extraordinaire, it probably means the bike hasn't been stolen yet.
Seems like Bill has a different bike in every photo and I seriously doubt he has what we would call a "stable" of bikes. Perhaps someone should buy him a good U-lock.
Old 11-15-13, 10:20 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Originally Posted by RaleighSport
65er: looks great and practical to me! Even better the whole family can use it.
This is for me... it is a practical and fun machine for our climate and works in all seasons.

Old 11-15-13, 10:32 AM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gerv
Seems like Bill has a different bike in every photo and I seriously doubt he has what we would call a "stable" of bikes. Perhaps someone should buy him a good U-lock.
Well, he lives in NYC. As I recall, he admits to having 27 bikes stolen in 50 years of being car-free. And no, he doesn't have a stable to my knowledge. The documentary about him is great. Check out the link.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.

Last edited by Artkansas; 11-15-13 at 10:35 AM.
Old 11-15-13, 02:50 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
I think most ppl, including serious cyclists, will have difficulty translating what someone's cycle is "saying" about its owner. While one cyclist might look at a late-80s mtb fitted with slick tires, panniers, and fenders as "a practical bike", another might look at the same rig and think "this guy wasted time and effort on the wrong build", and still another might just think the owner is broke, or some sort of wild-eyed bikenerd. Non-cyclists may have trouble distinguishing the same bike from a high-end purpose-built touring bike.

I think, part of cycling's appeal is that there are so many possible interpretations. I think many of us (and I'm sometimes guilty, though I try not to be) tend to focus on derisive, snooty translations of a given bike's "message", but it's a lot more fun to be positive about stuff. Whenever I'm in Phila, which has far more commuters than South Jersey, I like to check out all of the various bikes locked up as I walk around. So many bicycle messages to consider.... (I also routinely check out the bikes locked up at the light rail station in my hometown; there are some really interesting ones there, too.)
What exactly is the difference between a "late-80s mtb fitted with slick tires, panniers, and fenders" and a "high-end purpose-built touring bike"? Seriously, what is the difference? Anybody? I mean, not what is the difference in price or status, but what is the difference in functionality or the overall riding experience? I have never ridden the latter, so I don't know the difference, if there is any.

"Think Outside the Cage"
Old 11-15-13, 03:54 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Roody
What exactly is the difference between a "late-80s mtb fitted with slick tires, panniers, and fenders" and a "high-end purpose-built touring bike"? Seriously, what is the difference? Anybody? I mean, not what is the difference in price or status, but what is the difference in functionality or the overall riding experience? I have never ridden the latter, so I don't know the difference, if there is any.
Generally, geometry...especially the high BB on the mtb versus a low BB on the touring bike. Also, slightly longer TT on many of those mtbs. Further, a late-80s mtb is guaranteed to be 26", whereas most tourers are still being built with 700c wheels, but the smaller sizes (including 26"/559s) are becoming more popular. As far as riding experience, the touring bike will likely feel more stable, due to a lower COG and, often, slower steering. Of course, there is a lot of variability between examples of each genre.

But, I think in terms of "statement", the price, bling, and cachet of the high-end purpose built tour bike will say something different than the old repurposed mtb will.
Old 11-15-13, 03:55 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
PS- I've never rode a touring bike that was truly "high-end", but I used to rock a surly lht with a pretty nice component package. It was very nice, but not nice enough to make me get another versus repurposing an old mtb. I have a pretty sweet 88 Panasonic MC4500 getting all toured out... just need a crank and some wheels built.
Old 11-16-13, 09:32 PM
MikeRides

Bikes: Trek 1.1

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
To cyclists out there, my beloved bike probably makes me seem too cheap/poor for a road bike. (Especially when they see me riding it in regular clothes!)

To an average joe on the street, I probably look like someone who lost my license due to DWI or other ignored traffic violations.

OTOH, I was riding through town the other day, parked my bike in front of the store and went in for some milk and completely forgot I still had my helmet on until the store clerk asked how the weather was (clearly making small talk), and complimented me on not relying on foreign oil companies just to pick up some milk. Usually people around here would just stare, laugh, or just honk when they see me pedaling by so it felt nice to be appreciated for once. BTW I noticed today that that same store clerk rode her bike to work today, a Walmart special but hey at least it's not a gas guzzling machine.
Old 11-17-13, 12:26 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,538 Times in 1,047 Posts
Originally Posted by surreal
Whenever I'm in Phila, which has far more commuters than South Jersey, I like to check out all of the various bikes locked up as I walk around. So many bicycle messages to consider...
Ya mean like these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Philly Street2.jpg (85.6 KB, 16 views)
Philly Street1.jpg (84.4 KB, 17 views)
Philly Street3.jpg (95.2 KB, 16 views)
Philly Street4.jpg (72.6 KB, 13 views)
Old 11-23-13, 09:29 AM
howeeee
Banned.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I ride about 10 different bikes, probably says to most people, "whats wrong with that guy" lol
Attached Images
panther 002.jpg (64.1 KB, 6 views)
jag.jpg (79.1 KB, 5 views)
super 001.jpg (102.2 KB, 5 views)
pan3 001.jpg (67.4 KB, 4 views)
MTB 001.jpg (100.5 KB, 5 views)
fix.jpg (43.4 KB, 4 views)
cruiser 002.jpg (83.4 KB, 4 views)
Old 11-23-13, 09:34 AM
ka0use

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
mine (and my attire) screams homeless, filthy, stinky, poor, worthless, useless street person breathing MY air and stole the bike.
great camouflage!
Old 11-28-13, 12:04 AM
Solid_Spoke

Bikes: Bicycle!

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think that there is an image created by someone who chooses to ride a bicycle. It could be that they want to reduce their environmental footprint, to save themselves money, to recover from a sedentary lifestyle, etc. These motives, which do convey a partial image of a person, are extensive.

But what of the cyclist who rides a different bike each day? The interpretation of the image changes depending on who is asked. For the non-cyclist, perhaps there is no perceivable difference: all cyclists are the same. Maybe this is the most pure and innocent of interpretations, though I'm not sure. It would seem to me that larger numbers of interpretations are developed in the "community" that partakes in the activity. That is why OP decided to ask our opinions, and many of us now have shared them.

I believe we all take up an image, either consciously or subconsciously, when we pick one bike over another. Bicycle marketing even depends that we choose our image! We pick one color, type of bicycle, and brand over another for a reason.

For myself, I picked a Surly Crosscheck because I like the quality of the bike, the color, and of course the brand. Though not sure of how other cyclists interpret my choice, I do hope they see how much joy I'm having cruising around on such an awesome bike.

My other bike, a $6000 steel custom, is my other pride and joy. I saved and worked my butt off for such an amazing bike (amazing = ride quality, quality of frame and components, and made in USA). For the non-cyclist, I am sure my bike is "just a road bike like all the others", but cyclists will offer many more interpretations.
Old 11-28-13, 12:10 AM
Sixty Fiver
Bicycle Repair Man !!!

Probably homeless and crazy...

Old 11-28-13, 12:58 PM
surreal

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Solid_Spoke
For myself, I picked a Surly Crosscheck because I like the quality of the bike, the color, and of course the brand. Though not sure of how other cyclists interpret my choice, I do hope they see how much joy I'm having cruising around on such an awesome bike.
I think that a Cross-Check says that, despite having a desire for current-production bikes, the rider is an eminently practical cyclist who values versatility and durability. The Cross-Check is one of those true jack-of-all-trades bikes, and if I had to own one single bike without going crazy/custom, it'd be one of the few bikes I'd be considering. Possibly the only current-production bike on the list, although I'd be sorely tempted to get another 26"-wheeled LHT....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.