Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Caadx

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-14, 09:39 AM
jsmil4901

Bikes: Roubaix elite,Bontrager Race

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Caadx

Picked up a new closeout 2014 Caadx this weekend. I'll be using it mostly on the road with having the option for off road if needed. Bike rides nice and the price was right. It is a bit heavy and the disk brakes are not the best but I like it.
Old 10-06-14, 10:38 AM
headloss 
Lost at sea...

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount (match), Trek 520, random bits and pieces...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Funny how things are relative... I've always thought of the CAADX as a light bike (granted, I haven't tested the disc brake version).
Old 10-06-14, 11:59 AM
ddeand 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 102 Times in 46 Posts
I have a CAADX with discs - it's a very nice bike and is the one I put most of the miles on. I thought the brakes were just so-so until I had about 250 miles on the bike - then they bedded in and are working very well. I also think that most disc brakes come with adequate but not great pads and could be greatly improved by swapping in a set of Kool Stop pads. Enjoy the bike!
Old 10-07-14, 12:18 PM
jsmil4901

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ddeand
I have a CAADX with discs - it's a very nice bike and is the one I put most of the miles on. I thought the brakes were just so-so until I had about 250 miles on the bike - then they bedded in and are working very well. I also think that most disc brakes come with adequate but not great pads and could be greatly improved by swapping in a set of Kool Stop pads. Enjoy the bike!
Maybe that will be the case with the mechanical disk brakes. My XT brakes on my MTB really work well and bedded in very quickly. On my first test ride at the shop on the Caadx,they didn't work well at all. I worked on bedding them in and now they are better.
Old 10-16-14, 05:47 AM
swekarl

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10 2012

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jsmil4901
I'll be using it mostly on the road with having the option for off road if needed.
I have a Caad10 and will probably complement it with a 2015 Caadx 105 because I'm curious about cyclocross bikes and think the caadx could work as my winter/everyday bike. I was wondering what you think of the 46/36 chainrings. My Caad10 has 50/39, which is almost too little in the flat area where I live. I'm not gonna grind any gravel with the Caadx (or is that fun?), but rather use it "mostly on the road" as you. So was thinking of having the same setup on both bikes.
Old 10-16-14, 11:20 AM
jsmil4901

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where I live 46/36 is ok on the road in Northern California bay area. In fact sometimes it is too tough on some of the steep hills. I plan on riding some dirt trails so 50/39 would not work for that. As an everyday bike I think it is a great value.
Old 11-07-14, 12:39 AM
Tiglath

Bikes: Paramount Series 3, Shimano RX-100; Cannondale CAADX, Shimano 105; Cinelli SuperCorsa, SRAM Red; Pinarello Dogma F8, Shimano Dura-Ace Di 2; Firefly Custom Titanium Sram 1x

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had it for a month and I am totally over the moon about it. Superb handling and comfort. It rides better than many much more expensive bikes. When it comes to ride quality I thought no bike would separate me from my Cinelli Supercorsa, but I ride the CAADX just as much.
Old 11-07-14, 12:47 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Congrats... cool bike. I eyed up a couple of those at my LBS.

I bought a Focus Mares. Excuse my terminology: it doesn't have the regular CX type rim brakes (cantilever?) but has more road-like ones. Also it has a road cassette and the great thing is no toe-overlap! My previous CX bike, a tricross, had brakes that made the fork shudder, the cassette ratio was too wide for road use, and I didn't like the handlebars sharp corner near the hood.

Mine came with Conti CX tires which rolled surprisingly well on tarmac but punctured too often so they got swapped out with Schwalbe Marathon Supreme 35mm. Also added full size sks fenders and a topeak rack. I gotta say the bikes look much nicer without fenders and rack but far more practical.

Still a monirity, but I def see more CX bikes out on the commute these days. Anyway, good bike, have fun!
Old 11-07-14, 12:51 AM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by swekarl
I have a Caad10 and will probably complement it with a 2015 Caadx 105 because I'm curious about cyclocross bikes and think the caadx could work as my winter/everyday bike. I was wondering what you think of the 46/36 chainrings. My Caad10 has 50/39, which is almost too little in the flat area where I live. I'm not gonna grind any gravel with the Caadx (or is that fun?), but rather use it "mostly on the road" as you. So was thinking of having the same setup on both bikes.
I grind the gravel and take the bike into muddy areas. Those mudguards REALLY help (on my mtb I slow right down coz I'm not a fan of mud). My next CX bike (I kinda stopped calling it a cx bike, coz to me its really a road bike with old-school support for wider tires) will have disk brakes like you guys have.

The CX (I still gotta call it cx to clarify though ) bike is my daily rider and general go-to bike.