Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Specialized Zertz and Z-seatstay Buzz Kill?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-14, 03:31 PM
KAH
Unsafe at Any Speed

Bikes: Bikes: 2015 Volagi Viaje XL, 85 Specialized Rockhopper w/drops, 81 Miyata 912, gone but not forgotten late 60s Coast To Coast Sting-Ray(J38 knockoff), Schwinn Typhoon, 75 Sekine GS, 81 Trek 412, 85 Trek 720 Touring.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts

Looking at the endurance type bikes and the Specialized Secteurs have caught my eye.

Fishing for opinions on these Specialized designs (Zertz and Z-seatstay) to dampen the aluminum ride.
Old 07-16-14, 04:04 PM
Black wallnut 

Bikes: Schwinn Broadway, Specialized Secteur Sport(crashed) Spec. Roubaix Sport, Spec. Crux

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 84 Posts
Take a test ride.
Old 07-16-14, 04:19 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
I dont understand how zertz works. Theres a clear plastic insert inside metal. I understand the plastic is soft so allows flexibility, but surely the metal around it will stop this movement/flexibility.

Anyway, I gotta ask: how much research and development can you do with a bunch of tubes?
Old 07-16-14, 04:21 PM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22607 Post(s)
Liked 8,929 Times in 4,161 Posts
A little. More benefit from wider tires.
Old 07-16-14, 04:54 PM
alexaschwanden
Bike rider

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh Clubman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
A soft saddle would be more comfortable.
Old 07-16-14, 05:10 PM
hueyhoolihan

Bikes: 8 ss bikes, 1 5-speed touring bike

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
i've got a bunch (too many) bikes with a lot of different tire sizes. when i'm thinking about having an easy and comfortable ride, i'm always taking the one with the widest and tallest tires with the least pounds per square inch in them.
Old 07-16-14, 05:12 PM
grolby

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang1
I dont understand how zertz works. Theres a clear plastic insert inside metal. I understand the plastic is soft so allows flexibility, but surely the metal around it will stop this movement/flexibility.

Anyway, I gotta ask: how much research and development can you do with a bunch of tubes?
It's not about flexibility. It's like touching your hand to a vibrating object: your body will absorb high-frequency, low amplitude vibrations and damp them out. That's the idea behind the Zertz inserts. I can't really vouch for how well they work to improve comfort in practice. They're based around the idea that high-frequency vibration is a major element of frame comfort and that the inserts have enough damping capacity to reduce that vibration noticably. No idea if either of those are true, but the basic concept isn't just made up.

As for the amount of R&D that can go into tubes: plenty. Both design and manufacturing processes that allow more sophisticated tube shapes (e.g. hydroforming, etc) have advanced considerably over the last few decades. Today's aluminum frames are much better than they were in the 80's, better even than they were 10 years ago.
Old 07-16-14, 08:20 PM
aluminumb

Bikes: 2014 Detroit Bikes A Type, 2011 Specialized Secteur, 2014 Framed Minnesota 2.0

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've owned a Secteur with zertz for three years and put about 2,300 miles on it. I love the bike, and it's taken me from novice rides of five miles through to completing multiple century rides and performing very respectably in a major gran fondo. The ride quality is still stiff, even with zertz, and you will definitely get rattled around, especially if the roads are sketchy. On 35+ mile rides I've experienced some occasional hand numbness. I tend to think that's more about my tendency to grip the handlebars too tightly. A change to the drops or a quick shake usually fixes it.

It's my first and only aluminum bike so far, so I can't draw a meaningful comparison with zertz vs. no zertz. Everyone will tell you to test a bunch of bikes, and that's great advice. I would say determine if aluminum ride quality fits you -- if it doesn't, no amount of plastic in the fork will change that fact. I like it just fine.
Old 07-16-14, 08:24 PM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
i have the 2014 sectuer compact and love it. i use it for everything from commuting (11.5 miles one way) to metric centuries to dipping my toes into a TT. i even used it for a true century a couple weeks ago. never had a single comfort issue. at 6'-3", 215 comfort on a long ride is important as my upper body can start to get heavy over time. i don't have much of a history with other forks or road bike geometries and i know much about nothing for the technology talked about above, but i will back this bike as long as it serves as well as it has for my first 2 months of ownership.

Last edited by metz1295; 07-16-14 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-16-14, 08:49 PM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by aluminumb
The ride quality is still stiff, even with zertz, and you will definitely get rattled around, especially if the roads are sketchy.
if you look at the design of the rear stay of the new sectuer, you'll see a slight difference from the older models. the guy at my LBS told me he felt specialized hurt themselves a little with this design in that it kept customers from buying their higher, more stable models. it also helped my decision that they now have a carbon fork on the base model sectuer. i was going to buy an allez. these changes in the base model sectuer saved me at least $400.

Last edited by metz1295; 07-16-14 at 09:00 PM.
Old 07-17-14, 11:26 AM
KAH
Unsafe at Any Speed

Bikes: Bikes: 2015 Volagi Viaje XL, 85 Specialized Rockhopper w/drops, 81 Miyata 912, gone but not forgotten late 60s Coast To Coast Sting-Ray(J38 knockoff), Schwinn Typhoon, 75 Sekine GS, 81 Trek 412, 85 Trek 720 Touring.

Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Thanks for the input every one.
On my local craigslist is a 2012 Secteur Compact base model.

2012 Specialized Secteur Compact - BikePedia

The price seems good @ $400 and it seems the right size for me 58cm I’m 6’1.5” 33” inseam but it is lacking the Z-seatstays and I like the idea of disc brakes giving wider tire options. so maybe I want new but if new every major bike co. has a set of endurance bikes to choose from. Overwhelmed by my choices and as I tend to ride my bikes for decades choosing wisely will have long lasting consequences.

I have only ridden steel not sure I’ll be quick to notice the differences I will care about 30 to 300 miles down the road as the STI shifting will be new to me heck even index shifting will be new to me.

Sorry I’m rambling off topic,
sounds like the Secteur owners like the bike and the Specialized vibration dampening tech helps somewhat.
Old 07-17-14, 11:47 AM
svtmike

Bikes: S-Works Roubaix SL2^H4, Secteur Sport, TriCross, Kaffenback, Lurcher 29er

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KAH
Thanks for the input every one.
On my local craigslist is a 2012 Secteur Compact base model.

2012 Specialized Secteur Compact - BikePedia

The price seems good @ $400 and it seems the right size for me 58cm I’m 6’1.5” 33” inseam but it is lacking the Z-seatstays and I like the idea of disc brakes giving wider tire options. so maybe I want new but if new every major bike co. has a set of endurance bikes to choose from. Overwhelmed by my choices and as I tend to ride my bikes for decades choosing wisely will have long lasting consequences.

I have only ridden steel not sure I’ll be quick to notice the differences I will care about 30 to 300 miles down the road as the STI shifting will be new to me heck even index shifting will be new to me.

Sorry I’m rambling off topic,
sounds like the Secteur owners like the bike and the Specialized vibration dampening tech helps somewhat.
I have a 2010 Secteur as my secondary road bike (well, it was until my S-Works Roubaix and I were sent flying by a car). It's nearly the equal of the Roubaix in the vibration damping department (same seatposts on each, but carbon bars on the Roubaix). I think the fork is the main player in damping the vibrations to the hands. If the ride characteristics float your boat, it's a comfortable bike even without the Roubaix-style seat stays.