Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

New Team GB bike

Old 11-04-19, 02:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Thanks, @rustymongrel. @queerpunk, yeah, lol.

I think it would have been easier to simply put a "Cervelo" sticker on Katsanis' bikes (I didn't know the designer's name until now)

I think that whole fiasco illustrates that making a bike for Powerlifters (or athletes as strong as powerlifters) isn't easy.
Old 11-04-19, 03:15 PM
rustymongrel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Well I mean there was a bit more work on Cervélos end than that but yeah. The British manufacturer thing was some sort of caveat with the money British cycling gets from the lottery if I recall correctly. They weren’t even a bike manufacturer, as far as I know the T5 is the only bike they’ve ever made. The feeling from Cervélo engineers was that it could have been an even better bike if they weren’t stuck using a manufacturer that they’d never dealt with before. It did beat the old UKSI bikes in stiffness and aero by a large margin though.

Something that raised my eyebrows about this new 2020 bike is that Lotus is involved. The engineer at Cervélo that headed the T5 project works at Lotus now. Somehow I doubt that’s a coincidence.
Old 11-04-19, 03:23 PM
carleton
Elitist

Oh, I forgot to mention this regarding the T5 sales: I think Cervelo may have expected poor sales. Did they even try to sell the bikes? Usually when top tier bikes like these (L96, R96, BT Stealth/Edge, etc...), somebody will buy them and show up at Masters or Elite Nationals. Did even that much happen with T5s?

Maybe Cervelo was in it for advertising only all-along. Like Nike making shoes for Cav, but not having sold cycling shoes to the general public in over 15 years. I think he's on Specialized shoes now, but he was a Nike guy for a long time.

https://cvndsh.com/nike/
Old 11-04-19, 04:46 PM
rustymongrel

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
As far as I’m aware not a single one was sold to the public. I think that had more to do with British cycling not wanting them sold than anything else.

I was was told to tell anyone that asked that it would be 100,000 GBP for the frameset and then you had to go buy your special bars and whatever else from UKSI.
Likes For rustymongrel:
Old 11-05-19, 08:47 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
ha
not surprised.
that was basically what they did with the UKSI bikes, too. "Sure, we sell them, we just price them so high and with such a long or unspecified production time that it's clear to anybody with a brain in their box that we're not going to sell them."
Old 11-06-19, 12:02 AM
brawlo

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 288 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 57 Posts
Theo Bos had a vid on his insta feed of him trying to buy one of the Lotus bikes with no result
Old 11-06-19, 09:47 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Dumb question about that Argon. WTF is up with the choice of steerer tube? The steerer tube diameter in that style is usually just a little metal spindle.

I can see it on a TT bike, but a sprint bike? Where you rack around on those bars?

Just dumb question I guess. I can't imagine I'd ever choose to do a standing start racking on the bars on my Felt DA.
Old 11-06-19, 04:52 PM
rustymongrel

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
Dumb question about that Argon. WTF is up with the choice of steerer tube? The steerer tube diameter in that style is usually just a little metal spindle.

I can see it on a TT bike, but a sprint bike? Where you rack around on those bars?

Just dumb question I guess. I can't imagine I'd ever choose to do a standing start racking on the bars on my Felt DA.
In that type of design the metal bar is just to tension the headset. The structural role the steerer tube plays in a conventional set up is replaced by the external “steerer tube” in front of the headtube. External steerer designs can be much much stiffer than a conventional design with the same frontal area.
Old 11-06-19, 09:06 PM
pierrej

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
Theo Bos had a vid on his insta feed of him trying to buy one of the Lotus bikes with no result
Only need to be available by Jan 1 2020

Originally Posted by burnthesheep

Looks like this, worked well enough for last years world champ

Old 11-06-19, 10:01 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by brawlo
Originally Posted by pierrej
Only need to be available by Jan 1 2020
lol I bet that gave them a heart attack. A guy with a team budget to afford it, the legs to ride it, and skills enough to beat the team that sponsored it
Old 11-06-19, 10:10 PM
pierrej

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
lol I bet that gave them a heart attack. A guy with a team budget to afford it, the legs to ride it, and skills enough to beat the team that sponsored it
He's only kinda sorta on the Dutch team now I think and I think buys his own bikes, like the argon/avanti/look/bt etc that he's used.

Also if they follow the uksi bike pricing strategy, no team can afford one.

Might ask what ti stuff runs locally just to see how unobtanium it all is.
Old 11-07-19, 12:08 AM
carleton
Elitist

He's only kinda sorta on the Dutch team now I think and I think buys his own bikes, like the argon/avanti/look/bt etc that he's used.

Rusty reports that the list price for the T5 was 100,000 GBP.

Let's say that's the price for this bike (for conversation's sake). That's not an impossible sum for Bos, the Dutch team, and Bos' sponsors to come up with. Unlikely? Yes. Impossible? No.

It would be an incredible feat of gamesmanship and would rattle the cages of the GB sprinters.
Old 11-07-19, 12:29 AM
carleton
Elitist

The purpose of the UCI requiring that all equipment be available to the public was to keep teams from doing this very thing: Spending millions to sponsor development of gear that provides a competitive advantage and the sport devolving into a pay-to-win system that rewards the teams with money.

Unfortunately, that hasn't really worked out yet.

The only superbike that's somewhat reasonably obtainable is the LOOK.
Old 11-07-19, 12:50 AM
pierrej

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
The purpose of the UCI requiring that all equipment be available to the public was to keep teams from doing this very thing: Spending millions to sponsor development of gear that provides a competitive advantage and the sport devolving into a pay-to-win system that rewards the teams with money.

Unfortunately, that hasn't really worked out yet.

The only superbike that's somewhat reasonably obtainable is the LOOK.
I remember the whole kerfuffle about the uksi bike and it went a bit further than the whole 100k, 100k handlebars and 25k helmet. It wasn't just the cost but the unspecified leadtimes as well.

Uk go the furthest, but they're not alone. Can't buy any of he German bikes/wheels. Can buy the NZ Avanti, but not the handlebars. Can buy the US felt but you'll need 25k and the bars are made for you. Can you get the new Anchor or Koga yet?

You could and still can buy the Aus bike, like the Look, but the development goodies aren't quite for sale.
Old 11-07-19, 02:29 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Can anyone post this vid of Bos trying to buy the new GB bike? I can't find it on his Instagram. And I agree that he's a bike nerd, and just buys the cool bikes and rides them. I see current photos of him on a number of different bikes, while the full-time Dutch team guys (Lavreisen and Hoogland) will only be seen on the Koga.
Old 11-07-19, 04:43 AM
ruudlaff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I believe the UCI is cracking down on this element of 'pricing' out. I can't remember where I heard the price so wouldn't want to say it publicly, but let's just say the one I've heard is more 'achievable'
Old 11-07-19, 06:49 AM
Dalai

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Can't buy any of he German bikes/wheels.
Probably a tall story, but one that was going around about the FES bikes was you could only order a bike at an odd hour once a year from an undisclosed location in Germany. Then if you somehow was there at the right hour and place, the quoted price was astromical and lead time to actually get a frameset was years in the future!

Pity if true as I have always fancied a FES bike!
Old 11-07-19, 07:26 AM
FinkFloyd

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Based on the article here, they're quoting a price of £15,000 for the complete bike (just shy of $20,000 at current exchange rates), with the frame going for £5,000 and wheels £4,000. Not exactly sure what's included in the definition of 'frame', but given that there's a difference of £6,000 between those two things and the full bike, I'm guessing that the fancy-dan titanium bits are (a) not included, and (b) not cheap.

The fact that there are prices, and that those prices are broadly in line with something like an R96 or a BT Ultra, suggests that this isn't going to be quite as unobtainium as the previous iterations though. I would laugh if Theo Bos bought one...
Old 11-12-19, 02:36 AM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Did anyone notice if this bike had been used at Glasgow at all? I saw that one of the GB riders racing the scratch or points race on it, with kind of, middle of the pack results? Curious to see how much they're going to test the bike in competition before Tokyo.
Old 11-12-19, 02:58 AM
ruudlaff

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Milly Tanner rode it in position 1 of the Female TS I believe too
Old 11-13-19, 10:06 AM
FinkFloyd

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Minion1
Did anyone notice if this bike had been used at Glasgow at all? I saw that one of the GB riders racing the scratch or points race on it, with kind of, middle of the pack results? Curious to see how much they're going to test the bike in competition before Tokyo.

This is pretty standard British Cycling stuff though - launch things at a (comparatively) low-key event, where it won't be necessary for them to win and where they can make sure that nobody wins first time out on it or anything. What they will have done is make very careful notes when the commissaires pass it as legal. That's what they did with Boardman's Lotus bike (who makes this new one, again?) - gave it to a solid but unspectacular pro who raced it at a track meet at Leicester and where the new design got passed without any real quibbles, whereas they might have met a bit more resistance if Boardman had debuted it at the Worlds. It's all about setting the precedents and making it more difficult for the UCI to backslide on approving it.
Old 11-14-19, 04:12 AM
Minion1

Instagram clip of Philip Hindes practicing starts on the new bike...

Theo Bos is in the comments to the original insta post as well

Last edited by Minion1; 11-14-19 at 04:15 AM.
Old 11-14-19, 12:27 PM
carleton
Elitist

The comments are hilarious. Hoy is in there, too.

Bos notes that Hindes' knee gets really close to or touches the fork's shoulder. That would suck if that happens.
Old 11-19-19, 04:13 PM
Minion1

https://cyclingtips.com/2019/11/a-de...EBsdlfcBZ96ZwA

Tour of the Hope factory that made the frame, couple of interesting points - a Hope Factory employee states they started making GB bikes for the 2008 Olympics, so that's probably who made the Cervelos. Secondly, they mention a few times that they cure the bikes in house, which is also interesting since the Lotus bikes Boardman used apparently weren't cured properly, and went soft after a short period of time.
Old 11-23-19, 04:20 PM
rustymongrel

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
They did not make the Cervelos, no idea if they made UKSI bikes though.

Like I said earlier in the thread the company that made the T5GB is not associated with cycling in any way.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.