Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Where Would you live ?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Where Would you live ?

Old 02-23-20, 07:27 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Thanks for mentioning the OBX, which is just a day's cycling and a ferry ride from where I live. We plan to make it a fall excursion. For everyday rides, though, the Inner Banks have many days of relatively mild winter. We're looking to do some week long-ish trips though, so where in VA do you recommend? Shenandoah county?
I would look in the regional forums that include Virginia, The one that really interests me it the Virginia Creeper Trail. Welcome to the Virginia Creeper Trail - a National Rail-to-Recreation Trail - https://www.vacreepertrail.org/

It seems to be a good fit for many types of bikes. From my time in that area, do NOT depend on cell service coverage, no matter which carrier. Yours may work OR it may not..
Old 02-23-20, 07:38 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2668 Post(s)
Liked 1,144 Times in 869 Posts
i would live happily ever after in an 800sf house situated app 1.5 miles from a cannabis shop and app 1.5 miles from the local organic market & local post office
Old 02-23-20, 07:44 PM
Theycallmegio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
I’m torn - Either San Francisco/Sausalito Ca or Boulder Co

currently in Chicago -_-
Old 02-23-20, 07:53 PM
Digger Goreman
Quidam Bike Super Hero

Bikes: 1995 Trek 800 Sport, aka, "CamelTrek"

Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by jack pot
i would live happily ever after in an 800sf house situated app 1.5 miles from a cannabis shop and app 1.5 miles from the local organic market & local post office
Let's all move in with Jack! (You can keep the cannabis)

For me, retirement is either the Loire Valley of France, or winters in Brownsville, TX... summers in Minneapolis, MN... and riding in between. Hellmans, I'd consider it in 10 years if I wasn't married! Right now I'm bound to Atlanta by career. *shrug*
Likes For Digger Goreman:
Old 02-23-20, 08:10 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Well, no need to rub our noses. Recall as well that -20f is not an unheard of temperatures and sometimes it goes from near that to black fly season in about a week it seems. Black flies are good though, you get in shape as you discover they can’t do 20mph.
For similar reasons, I keep bug spray in my tire repair kit during the summer in Wisconsin.
Old 02-23-20, 10:56 PM
Fredo_Adagio

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 53 Posts
I've been trying to talk my wife into the area around Loutraki in Greece. There is a great beach and mountains to either side, and the traffic isn't bad once you get out of town.

Likes For Fredo_Adagio:
Old 02-23-20, 11:15 PM
Batstar

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 175 Times in 79 Posts
I would choose to stay in Canada - specifically, Vancouver Island, BC where I can spend time cycling the Galloping Goose Trail and doing the other thing that I’m passionate about.

Last edited by Batstar; 02-25-20 at 10:12 PM.
Likes For Batstar:
Old 02-24-20, 05:17 AM
tim24k

Bikes: To many to list. I like them all!

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 32 Posts
Mackinac Island, MI it's my kind of pace and you don't have to deal with getting run over by motorists.
Old 02-24-20, 05:47 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by one4smoke
Florida, for the obvious reasons.
Please expound. I live in North Central Florida, been a nice ‘winter’ for riding. About late March into October will be so rainy and hot I will struggle on when and how much to ride.
Old 02-24-20, 06:41 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
Missoula, MT.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-24-20, 08:06 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Bikes: Orbea

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 917 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by Just Mark
I just got home an hour ago from the OBX. I have a house down there that we spend time at when I can. I did a couple of great rides this weekend. My solution to the summer crowds is to fat bike on the beach and up on Jockey's Ridge really early. You can still road bike in the summer if it is not the weekend.
I have not seen any fat bikes on Jockeys Ridge. Is the sand solid enough for good fat biking? I really do love that location on the Outer Banks.
Old 02-24-20, 08:10 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10899 Post(s)
Liked 7,390 Times in 4,148 Posts
If the place I moved to still had all the 'bad' about it, then I struggle to think of a place I would want to move to for cycling.

Santa Rosa CA would be awesome due to the elevation, natural scenery, weather, and mix of paved and unpaved. It would suck due to the cost of housing, cost of living, fires, and gang/crime activity. Oh, and Pacific timezone is lame.
Somewhere in TN/MS would be great from a rural road dirt/gravel riding perspective and be good cost of living. It would suck due to the insufferable heat/humidity in the summer, and the socioeconomic struggles that hold the region back.
Bozeman MT or somewhere like that would be so great...except for the weather for much of the year.

If I had my life, but Santa Rosa's cycling benefits- thatd be awesome.

But since that isnt possible, I am happy to take a few months in total off of frequent riding and do other things with my time.
Old 02-24-20, 08:11 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

First of all I would not live somewhere in a cold climate. Second of all I think the best option might be to have 2 places to live.

I would pick Moab for the summer time and Northwest Arkansas for my second house in the summer. Both places are at the top as far as biking facilities. Moab is crowded would be the negative but its not as crowded as some of the other really popular spots like Ashville, NC.

I also need gravel/dirt roads. As many miles as possible.

I also want good healthcare so I can actually choose what doctor I can go to if I crash and get hurt.
Likes For Rajflyboy:
Old 02-24-20, 08:55 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3875 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
With the only consideration cycling?
Santa Cruz, CA
Or maybe another location on the Monterey Bay.
I don't tolerate heat well.

Lived there, left about 2 decades ago. I'm probably priced out of the housing market now. Besides my kids are close here in PNW, so I'm staying put.

I'm a left coaster in my genes. Ocean, mountains, temperate climate and liberal humans suit me best.
Old 02-24-20, 08:59 AM
guachi

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Missoula, MT.
I grew up in Montana and I loved it so much I'd put up with the cold weather to live there again.
Old 02-24-20, 09:36 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 15,284 Times in 7,226 Posts
Originally Posted by guachi
I grew up in Montana and I loved it so much I'd put up with the cold weather to live there again.
I will be starting/ending another tour there in June. I have basically lived in Philly all my life. I am getting sick of the very large population, but I still want to have some semblance of city living. Variety of places to go out to. Convenient services that I can walk, ride or take public transit to. (My vehicle is almost 44 months old and just went over 9,900 miles last week.) But also a place that is surrounded closely by nice places to recreate. From downtown Missoula I can ride 22 miles to the start of Rock Creek Rd. and keep heading up into the forest along a blue ribbon trout stream to one of several Forest Service Campgrounds. That's just one example. I would love to be able to spend my weekends like that. There are also other opportunities that require only relatively short drives.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-24-20, 10:22 AM
honcho

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
Hmmm, I've been thinking about cycling friendly communities from a slightly different viewpoint. I'd like to be able to access many/most of dail needs by cycling (and walking) in addition to having great recreational road and off-road riding. So in addition to an acceptable community cycling infrastructure:
1. Reasonable housing costs (say median detached single family home price no more than $300k)
2. Local economy not dominated by one industry (don't want to pick on tourism, but definitely don't want an economy dependent on tourists)
3. Stratified population demographics
4. Middle-of-the-road politics (though I'm not sure this exists any more)

The list is incomplete but I'm not sure there's any place in the USA that meets them. My personal experience is limited, but as for cycling infrastructure and cycling in general, I can comment on several places. The area around Northampton, MA seems nice as it has a lot of colleges in the area and plenty of routes for road cycling. The youthful population of college towns seems to go with cycling. Memphis isn't great and I own property near the Natchez Trace Parkway in Mississippi which has pretty good rural riding but there's not much of an economy there. Anchorage, Alaska is almost completely accessible by bike, at least during the summer months. I've visited and biked around suburban Austin and enjoyed the riding but not really knowledgeable about the greater landscape there. Bend, Oregon seems to have a lot to offer for cyclists, especially if you like hills but, again, my knowledge is limited due to my short stay there.

I'm interested in seeing what other respondents to this thread have to offer for locations.
Old 02-24-20, 10:54 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
from reading posts on this forum, the only place I would not want to live is New Orleans
Old 02-24-20, 11:10 AM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Colorado Springs. Quick access to climbs, and not too far away from the flat plains. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by friday1970; 02-28-20 at 03:55 PM.
Likes For friday1970:
Old 02-24-20, 11:11 AM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Amazing how each person wants something different. Its not the same 3 or 4 locations for everyone.
Old 02-24-20, 11:32 AM
Andrey
Senior Guest

Bikes: Jamis Endura, Cannondale CAAD, Raleigh Cross, Fausto Coppi.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 31 Posts
I live in upstate NY and love riding where I live. Beautiful empty low traffic roads, enough climbing, tons of gravel and parks, options to ride with fast of slow groups or alone.
I also rode in many other states in Northeast and Canada. I prefer smoother roads of NY state that other states in Northeast, less potholes, better maintenance, wider shoulder than in Canada. Winter could be rough with snow and ice, but there is always fat biking and Zwift. Also sometimes(winter) I need to take a break from cycling and hit the gym. I also can not ride when it gets too hot or humid.
Old 02-24-20, 11:39 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Sorry, but if I were choosing a location based on cycling, it would not be in the USA
Fair enough. Where in the world would you want to live? There are lots of places on my list of places I'd like to try for a month or two but I'm not sure any ONE spot would make me happy for long.
Old 02-24-20, 01:54 PM
vinfix
Steel80's

Bikes: Breezer Venturi, Breezer Lightning Pro, Schwinn Peloton

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
I have been considering relocating out of south coastal Delaware. I have been checking out a lot of southern Tennessee areas. I think I need to make a trip to check them out in person. I like the temperate climate, reasonable housing, really good bicycling, etc.
Is that part of Delaware not good for cycling? I thought it was pretty flat, like eastern shore MD. My buddy just moved to Milton, I owe him a visit. Me, I like the Brandywine area, but haven't cycled there.
Old 02-24-20, 02:03 PM
Just Mark

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Roubaix Comp, 2019 Cannondale Synopse 105 SE, 2015 Cannondale Quick 5, 2019 Specialized Fatboy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Rajflyboy
I have not seen any fat bikes on Jockeys Ridge. Is the sand solid enough for good fat biking? I really do love that location on the Outer Banks.
I can usually find a path.The dunes change quite a bit week to week. This last weekend, I was up on the dunes with my dog and the south side of the two bigger dunes was 10 degrees off of vertical and very soft. I had to change my route to get to the top and slid down on the return while sinking in up to my knees. After a good rain and low winds, I can make it across from East to West entering at Kitty Hawk Kites and exiting at the beach parking lot with only one or two falls. Most of my fall are from stalls on the climbs or catching a pedal while trying to zig-zag up the dunes. I'm just a few years away from retirement and this is where I want to be when I retire.
Old 02-24-20, 02:06 PM
Rajflyboy
Banned.

Originally Posted by Just Mark
I can usually find a path.The dunes change quite a bit week to week. This last weekend, I was up on the dunes with my dog and the south side of the two bigger dunes was 10 degrees off of vertical and very soft. I had to change my route to get to the top and slid down on the return while sinking in up to my knees. After a good rain and low winds, I can make it across from East to West entering at Kitty Hawk Kites and exiting at the beach parking lot with only one or two falls. Most of my fall are from stalls on the climbs or catching a pedal while trying to zig-zag up the dunes. I'm just a few years away from retirement and this is where I want to be when I retire.
i love it too

Especially the Grave Digger monster truck shop. The kids love it 👍

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.