Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Benotto

Old 05-08-20, 10:08 AM
sodbuster72

Bikes: '85 Bianchi Sport SS, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Benotto

Benotto. What do you all think of this? I don't know anything about Benotto, so I need some help. What exactly is this? https://amarillo.craigslist.org/bik/d/amarillo-benotto-road-bike/7113116899.html
Old 05-08-20, 10:42 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 462 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 211 Posts
That looks like a pretty nice frame, good condition and decent components. I'd say good price for someone over 6ft tall.
Old 05-08-20, 10:58 AM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 478 Times in 258 Posts
To me that looks like (based on the head tube) a BIG frame, like 61cm or 63cm, with a tall stem too. You'd want to be quite tall for it to fit you properly.

Otherwise, the components look to match, the blue hoods are interesting (rare?), the matching frame pump... seems like a great deal to me, the previous owner obviously cared about these things so I'd expect the bike to be in great shape.

But again, it'd depend on the size for you. A big frame might be hard to sell, hence the price.
Likes For ridelikeaturtle:
Old 05-08-20, 11:23 AM
sodbuster72

Bikes: '85 Bianchi Sport SS, '76 Motobecane Grand Jubile

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 6'6", so I always have to hunt for 63cms. I havent gone to look at it to see if it's a 61 or 63. If it's a 61 it will likely be too small. Just didn't know what "level" Benotto this was. I have bought some '80s Bianchis and Peugeots for me and kids, and so know a little about their models. Just don't know anything abt Benotto. I.e., in early '80s Peugs, they had a Course, a Competition, and a Super Comp. Both of the latter are good bikes, but the Super has a lot of really nice components. Nothing wrong with the Course, it's just a 50-100 dollar bike.

Last edited by sodbuster72; 05-08-20 at 08:42 PM.
Likes For sodbuster72:
Old 05-08-20, 11:38 AM
steve sumner

Bikes: '68 Masi Special road, Grail bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 58 Posts
if it's a Benotto 3000 it's as good as anything ever made in Italy, some were even made
by DeRosa. if it's a lower numbered model it was made in Mexico with a huge drop in
value even though some of the Mex ones are quite nice. most Benottos are full race design
meaning quite stiff and unforgiving.
Likes For steve sumner:
Old 05-08-20, 11:43 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Based on the components I would say this is one of the mid levels models made in Mexiico. Fairly nice bike and the price is fair considering condition.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 05-08-20, 05:23 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
That's definitely an eclectic component mix but there's not a dog in the bunch; Campagnolo Record shift levers and brakeset, Campagnolo Gran Sport hubs, Shimano 600EX crankset and SunTour MK II derailleurs. The frame itself has a Columbus SL/SP decal and given the frame size I'd expect SP. Given the frame's attributes of Campagnolo Portacatena dropouts, sculpted investment cast seat lug and investment cast bridge bridge with recessed nuts, I have no reason to doubt it's a higher grade frame. You can verify it's full Columbus SL/SP by removing the front wheel and checking inside the bottom of the fork's steerer tube for the five helical ridges that are indicative of a Columbus steerer tube (see attached pic). If the fork's not Columbus but it has a 27.2mm seat post, it's almost certainly tretubi Columbus SP, with SP used only in the main tubes. I'd place this frame circa 1980-1983. It appears to be a fair to good price. I'd definitely be paying a visit for further inspection and confirmation of the tubing.

Last edited by T-Mar; 05-08-20 at 05:26 PM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 05-11-20, 08:43 AM
Dolanarc1

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 17 Posts
Here's an neat little story about Mr. Benotto when he lived in Mexico City.
At the time Benotto cycles was the largest importer/exporter of bike parts ( particularly Campagnolo) into N. America.
I think he had some Scam going with duty and taxes. Anyways the stuff was cheap and we all bought it by mail order. Pre-Amazon.

Oct 9-10th 1980, I had booked the Velodrome in Mexico City to break three World Records, 200m-500m-1000m , see Wiki for results.
On October 8th, I was at the track trying out equipment and running some short efforts. When this little old Italian man came by and asked.
"What are you doing here ?" I replied, tomorrow I plan to break the three WR's. I believe he thought to himself, silly Canadian how are YOU going to do that !.
Anyways, polite as he was a Gentleman. He said " If you use my handlebar tape I'll pay you $500 U.S. per record" We shook hands and he left.
Oct 10th after breaking the last 1000m WR my coach and I jumped into a cab from the Velodrome and went to Benotto Cycles downtown.
From memory, it was a three story square building. When we walked in the place was filled wall to wall with inventory. Mr. Benotto greeted us and took us upstairs to his office.
He offered us a coffee, opened up his safe and graciously paid me $1500 U.S. in cash. At the time as I was flat broke this was like $10K to me.

I said thank you very much, he got his photo's and we left.
You can see from the photo the vinyl Benotto handlebar tape.lol
Likes For Dolanarc1:
Old 05-11-20, 09:39 PM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Wow, thanks for the anecdote!!