Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Perfecting my Tracking Skills.

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Old 05-16-20, 07:12 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 869 Times in 443 Posts

Since being laid-off from work I'm out around mid morning instead of an early afternoon ride after work. That has made my tracking of Roger a game that I've gotten good at. Roger is another rider who ventures out into the deeper trails in the area like me. At one point I tracked him down on 5 of the 6 rides I did, and all in different locations. We have over 100+ miles of trails so Roger was beginning to think I had a tracking device on his bike. So today I pick up signs of fresh activity on a trail and start do track where it would lead me. About an hour after spotting the first sign of activity and also taking 3 different trails I find the Target. Just having fun out in my backyard on a nice Spring day.
Likes For ZIPP2001:
Old 05-20-20, 01:58 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Thanks Zipp. If I had more extensive trails anywhere near me, I might own a mountain bike. Not really worth it to ride the same winding 2 miles shoehorned into the park all the time.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-21-20, 12:33 PM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Bikes: Zipp2001 Carbon Belt Drive SS, Kestrel RT900SL, Kestrel KM40 Airfoil 1x10, Orbea Occam H30, Trek Stache 5 29 Plus, Giant Yukon 2 Fat Bike

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Thanks Zipp. If I had more extensive trails anywhere near me, I might own a mountain bike. Not really worth it to ride the same winding 2 miles shoehorned into the park all the time.
Thanks BlazingPedals ! I can't complain with my backyard and the fun that it offer me. Been moving to the trails instead of the road more and more.
Old 05-22-20, 03:12 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
The trails in your vids remind me of a lot of fire trails up in Yooperland (Michigan's Upper Peninsula.) Those were a blast to ride, back in my younger days when the whole family would go there for vacation.
Likes For BlazingPedals:
Old 05-23-20, 07:19 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,576 Times in 2,340 Posts
Originally Posted by ZIPP2001
Since being laid-off from work ...
oh man sorry to hear that. if things don't change by August I'll be in the same boat. the guy I work for is running the company on fumes. I can't believe this won't end, so I'll hope this is congratulations on some extra time off & more riding! don't bust nuthin! 2 pple at our company broke legs, one falling on steps at home & one got rear ended on a motorcycle! I'ts bad now, let's not make it worse. hang in their buddy, you're not alone. wow, nice long ride. nice big fast flowy trails today. still amazed you seem to know where the heck you are.

Last edited by rumrunn6; 05-23-20 at 07:29 AM.
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 05-23-20, 07:28 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Trail riding/MTB single tracks are a blast. Glad you can get out more but not so glad to hear of your work situation. @blazing Pedals is right about the Yooper trails, some are world class.
Likes For OldsCOOL:
Old 05-23-20, 08:35 AM
ZIPP2001
Life Is Good

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
oh man sorry to hear that. if things don't change by August I'll be in the same boat. the guy I work for is running the company on fumes. I can't believe this won't end, so I'll hope this is congratulations on some extra time off & more riding! don't bust nuthin! 2 pple at our company broke legs, one falling on steps at home & one got rear ended on a motorcycle! I'ts bad now, let's not make it worse. hang in their buddy, you're not alone. wow, nice long ride. nice big fast flowy trails today. still amazed you seem to know where the heck you are.
It's all good rumrunn6 been getting the house all in order, because we might be putting it on the market in the Fall. I've been able to get more riding in also which is a big win for me. I stay in touch with the owner and he's looking at maybe re-opening in early June.
Likes For ZIPP2001: