Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Flat; Big Mistake

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Flat; Big Mistake

Old 05-26-20, 05:57 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
Flat; Big Mistake

I went out for my evening ride yesterday that has a 1 mile section of wood trail. I got a flat up front. No problem, right.?? I had tools and a pump, patch kit. The Maxxis tire has a wire bead. Looking back on this I've never dealt with a wire bead tire. I made a huge mistake by inverting the tire to look for a thorn or whatever poked through to the tube. Oh man, the bead 'rolled up' on me. I couldn't get the tire back to round. After fighting it for 15+ minutes, I gave up. Man, I learned something. Big mistake by taking the tire off the rim and inverting it. I turned it inside out. When I did that, I was screwed.

I walked out with the handlebars high and rolling on the back tire. Got a ride 2 miles back to the house. Question.... Is the tire spoiled.?? I think yes. I'll call the shop this morning.
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 05-26-20, 08:04 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Which Maxxis tires are they, never happened to me before. Next time put some cotton balls in you tool kit to check for thorns.
Old 05-26-20, 08:50 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by qclabrat
Which Maxxis tires are they, never happened to me before. Next time put some cotton balls in you tool kit to check for thorns.
Maxxis IKON's. 29" that came stock on a Giant Talon 3.

Thanks for the tip. It's a good one. Have you actually turned a wire bead tire inside out.?? I will never do that again and I don't recommend you do it, either. You can get screwed in about 3 minutes flat.!! I'm actually glad it happened. I learned a lot about a tire and safety. I ride alone. I could have been deep into the woods. Or in a desert. Not cool. Be prepared for the worst.
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs:
Old 05-26-20, 03:50 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Huh. I never heard of this, but then again I don't think I have every turned a wire bead tire inside out.

Can you post a pic?

Now you have me curious and I am going to have to try this on an old wire bead tire.
Old 05-27-20, 09:29 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Huh. I never heard of this, but then again I don't think I have every turned a wire bead tire inside out.

Can you post a pic?

Now you have me curious and I am going to have to try this on an old wire bead tire.
I spoiled the tire. Shop guy said he had seen it one other time. Mad at myself for not taking a picture. I feel now that I should have for the forum. If I was in the desert it could have been a tragedy. I.ll call the shop. They might still have it.??
Old 05-27-20, 09:35 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,577 Times in 2,341 Posts
not possible to mount the tire inside-out to limp home?
Old 05-27-20, 09:48 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
I spoiled the tire. Shop guy said he had seen it one other time. Mad at myself for not taking a picture. I feel now that I should have for the forum. If I was in the desert it could have been a tragedy. I.ll call the shop. They might still have it.??
Seriously, man. Think of others.

Likes For Kapusta:
Old 05-27-20, 02:09 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by BirdsBikeBinocs
is that considered a defect? I have an old Kenda beaded 29r I'm going to try tonight
And I won't forget to share...
Old 05-27-20, 07:58 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by Kapusta
Seriously, man. Think of others.

Just to be clear, when I said "I could have been in the desert. It could have been a tragedy." Please know, that wasn't self pity. Honestly, what I should have said is this.... "If that happened to someone in the desert, that could be a tragedy." Now, I'm just not sure what you mean in the quoted post above. With all due respect. Being the receiver, I hope I cleared it up here. However, I could take those 5 words and write a chapter. lol. In other words.... I WAS thinking of others. That's why I said I should have taken a picture for the forum to understand it better. And, that was the basis for the thread. I've explained it in words. No pic. Sorry.

Once I got the tire inside-out, the wire bead rolled right up to the inside of, an inverted tire. The wire bead rolled right inward right over the MAXXIS logo. That logo was the weed inside a joint. Ha.!! True. And I was screwed.

Now this, I've had the word desert stuck in my mind for the past 3 months. I have made the choice to move far away from western New York, a place I love. (that says a lot.having lived my first 50 years in Maine). I am going to camp across the heartland up into Spearfish, SD. I plan being there for a month before I move on to Bozeman, Montana. Hang out there for a month. Then, drop down into the Denver area and spend some time there and decide where I want to spend the rest of my life. Sorry to make it about me again BUT, I learned a big lesson when that stupid tire went into a coil. Ya, if I did that where I'm heading, it could have been a Personal tragedy. Ha.!! Oh ya, when I'm in Denver I'm going to scoot over to the Canyonlands and The Arches, Utah. That will be like a 4 day trip or so.

Kapusta… You add a lot to this forum. Thanks man. I've got a lot to learn. Now, did you find an old wire bead tire to invert for yourself.?? I'll NEVER do that again.!!!! I dunno me. Me, I dunno.

Last edited by BirdsBikeBinocs; 05-29-20 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-27-20, 08:11 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

is that considered a defect? I have an old Kenda beaded 29r I'm going to try tonight
That's awesome Q.!! Thanks for giving that a go.!! Right on.

That's a good question q. ^^^^ I mentioned the brand above but I'm not going to cause a stink. I blame myself. We need to take care of our tires because we can't pack an extra.(though some do I bet. folding tire.) How common is it for someone to flip a tire inside out.?? Looking for a thorn of some sort.?? Can someone answer, maybe.?? I'd love to hear the answer to that. Because, if it is common knowledge to do that, I blame brand X. Period. This is the first wire bead tire I've ever dealt. Maybe that's a BIG nono . I dunno.

At this point no, I don't blame the brand for what happened.
Old 05-27-20, 08:12 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 892 Post(s)
Liked 2,050 Times in 1,072 Posts
I turned a road tire inside out once, same reason. I was a long long way from home, so I spent an hour and got it back outside out. It was fine, eventually.

Not a good use of time.
Old 05-27-20, 08:15 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
not possible to mount the tire inside-out to limp home?
No. I've explained it a little better just above.^^^^^^^^^ The tire immediately took to a form that was entirely un-workable. I don't think 8 hands could have got the job done. I was screwed right then and there. Doink. Dun.

I appreciate the replies everyone. I'm the OP reporting back so see my posts above.
Old 05-27-20, 08:19 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Double post. Deleted.
Old 05-29-20, 12:00 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Did you flip it.?? Inside- Out.?? Anxiously awaiting.
Old 05-29-20, 05:09 PM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Originally Posted by downtube42
I turned a road tire inside out once, same reason. I was a long long way from home, so I spent an hour and got it back outside out. It was fine, eventually.

Not a good use of time.
Right. Sun was going down on me. Relatively close to home though. Interesting that you had the same problem. It's weird. Congrats for getting it back to form.!! I couldn't.