Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Kickstand sizing question for touring bike

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 07-28-20, 05:37 PM
David78

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a 97' schwinn passage in frame size L and am going to install a rear mounted kickstand to the front non-drive side chain stay. I am running 28 x 700c pasela protite tires. The brand I am looking at is Greenfield. They offer 2 sizes. 285 mm or 305 mm. I know I could get the larger and always cut it if needed but would prefer not if I can correctly size it before purchasing. What kickstand would be more appropriate? (Greenfields website offers no insight into sizing kickstand based on wheel sizes. )
Old 07-28-20, 06:10 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
We cut them in the shop. they're marked (in the mold the aluminum is poured into)
with a number corresponding to your BB height with the bike standing vertically.

Esge 2 legged kickstands are popular with touring bike owners..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-28-20, 08:19 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
I buy the 305mm ones and trim them. Local bike police use them also.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 07-28-20, 09:44 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 788 Post(s)
Liked 688 Times in 367 Posts
As Bob says- they're one size fitzall. Install- if it's too long, cut off a bit. Try again. Keep cutting off a bit at time until the bike is stable.

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 07-29-20, 02:39 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 316 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 191 Posts
The Greenfield is a great kick stand, The are meant to be cut/trimmed to the needed length

Last edited by JoeTBM; 07-30-20 at 12:43 AM.
Likes For JoeTBM:
Old 07-29-20, 05:11 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
Thought I would share what I recently did. I have a LHT and modified a Greenfield Rear mount to work. And I add a Tubus Front Kickstand to my front pannier rack.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 07-29-20, 09:45 AM
David78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
Thought I would share what I recently did. I have a LHT and modified a Greenfield Rear mount to work. And I add a Tubus Front Kickstand to my front pannier rack.
This is an interesting idea. So the Greenfield rear was not adequate? What specifically was the issue for you? I ask because I too have a front low rider rack as an access point for a front kickstand. I generally dont have more than 12 lbs up front split btwn both panniers. Thanks!
Old 07-29-20, 09:50 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Longtime kickstand user here, usually the mid-mount Greenfield or older ESGE but I've also been using rear-mounts for a while. I discovered on the last touring setup with four panniers that neither the mid- nor the rear-mount stands would work to keep the front from flopping and making the bike fall. The mid-mount Twin stand worked better but sometimes required a wheel strap to the downtube for parking stability. YMMV.

Cutting hint: We would measure vertically from the bottom of the chainstay to the floor (with the bike vertical), then subtract 5mm from that measurement and then trim the kickstand at that marking to get the proper lean, and were seldom wrong.

285mm kickstands were the standard for years until mountain bikes with their higher bottom brackets came out, and that's when the 305mm stands appeared on the market.

Last edited by thumpism; 07-29-20 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-29-20, 09:56 AM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I will see if I can find a pic of what I did.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 07-29-20, 10:05 AM
David78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I will see if I can find a pic of what I did.
Out of curiosity how much weight (roughly) in the front did u have when you had front stability issues? I'm trying to figure out if the single mounted Greenfield will work or if I should try a more centrally mounted double kickstand or your solution of front and rear...
Old 07-29-20, 10:09 AM
David78

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Longtime kickstand user here, usually the mid-mount Greenfield or older ESGE but I've also been using rear-mounts for a while. I discovered on the last touring setup with four panniers that neither the mid- nor the rear-mount stands would work to keep the front from flopping and making the bike fall. The mid-mount Twin stand worked better but sometimes required a wheel strap to the downtube for parking stability. YMMV.

Cutting hint: We would measure vertically from the bottom of the chainstay to the floor (with the bike vertical), then subtract 5mm from that measurement and then trim the kickstand at that marking to get the proper lean, and were seldom wrong.

285mm kickstands were the standard for years until mountain bikes with their higher bottom brackets came out, and that's when the 305mm stands appeared on the market.
Great advice. For the purposes of installing a kickstand I'm on a ride bike with 700c x 28 tires. (Touring setup but frame is chromoly road frame and wider road tires) Does this mean i will likely only need a 285?
Old 07-29-20, 07:13 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Originally Posted by David78
Great advice. For the purposes of installing a kickstand I'm on a ride bike with 700c x 28 tires. (Touring setup but frame is chromoly road frame and wider road tires) Does this mean i will likely only need a 285?
I'd say yes but it really depends on the BB height. Measure under the chainstays, as directed above, and buy accordingly. You can always cut more off a 305 to fit. As my Aunt Maisie used to say about wool sweaters, "You can make 'em smaller, but you can't hardly make 'em bigger."
Likes For thumpism: