Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Am I crazy spending $2.5k on my first real bike?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Am I crazy spending $2.5k on my first real bike?

Old 08-11-20, 10:51 PM
y2zipper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
That sounds like a perfectly reasonable budget for a road bike that should be step (or two) above entry-level. When I was bike shopping a few months ago, the difference between a $1500 vs $2500 road bike was the frame and wheels in almost all cases. The more expensive bike should have a carbon frame and will probably have 105 components with disc brakes, and wheels that are tubeless ready. The less expensive bike will likely be an aluminum frame with rim brake wheels, although some will have disc brakes. Since your aim is to go fast, buy the carbon frame bike, since it will be more aerodynamic (and slightly lighter).

If it matters to you, all of the road bikes I found in the $2000-$3000 range only came with a compact (50/34) crankset, except for Canyon. If you think you need bigger gears, you will likely have to pay for bigger chainrings at some point.

Edit: I missed the part where you said you were planning to buy used. Don't do that just yet. Look online and see what is available new; there will be plenty of options for your price range. Specialized, Canyon, Trek, Cannondale, and Giant all have new, 105-equipped carbon road bikes in the $2500-$3000 range.
I agree here. I looked new when I wanted to go up from my entry level. For example, 3k gets you on a brand new canyon ultimate that's CF with Ultegra. I ended up settling on the 4k price point.
Old 08-12-20, 01:07 AM
Jumpski

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito CV disk, and rim brake

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 89 Times in 60 Posts
No, you’re not crazy. It’s an investment in your health!
Old 08-12-20, 06:05 AM
probe1957

Bikes: 2020 Scott Speedster 10 Disc

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by kingston
I always advise people to get an aluminium frame w/105 for their first bike. It's good enough that it won't hold you back for the first couple of seasons. If you're still into cycling an a couple of years, you'll probably want a different bike anyway. If you decide it's not for you, then you still have a decent bike that you can take out from time-to-time but haven't spent thousands of dollars on something you don't use.
That's exactly what I did and I am happy. Probably will be happy next year too. Easily doable within the OP's budget too. With all the needed accessories INCLUDING clothing I came in around $2k total.
Old 08-12-20, 06:12 AM
cycology

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Sure, sounds like your getting a racing bike, better question is what race are you intending? Tour de France, Flanders, Kanza, Paris-Brest-Paris? Some would say getting a racing bike is like wanting a faster car so buying a formula 1. I disagree but it helps to find out what kind are used for above and match that to your riding intent (e.g., some say a comfortable bike is faster and recommend randonneurs)
Likes For cycology:
Old 08-12-20, 06:14 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1363 Post(s)
Liked 1,675 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by wannabespeedy
I'm upgrading from a Citibike membership...
If you live in or around Manhattan and don't have a car you're pouring money into, then your proposed purchase price is not crazy.
Old 08-12-20, 06:18 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by probe1957
That's exactly what I did and I am happy...
It's exactly what I did for my wife several years ago when she thought she wanted to get back into cycling after about 15 years off. We found a good deal and spent under $1k. I'd guess she's ridden it under 500 miles total. Glad I didn't get her one of the $3k+ bikes we were looking at.
Old 08-12-20, 08:07 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Looking to pick up my first road bike. I'm upgrading from a Citibike membership and want something that's actually fast, which would make longer rides way more enjoyable. I'm also interested in Zwifting during the winter. I've biked for a long while but have always rented/owned cheap bikes and would like to make an investment. I would like something that isn't 50lbs and that I can actually ride on the road fast enough.... looking at a sick Diverge Comp which would be great for the rough tracks.

Am I crazy to want to buy a nicer bike with a budget of $2.5-3k as my first real bike? Should I start with something cheaper and work my way up? I feel like I know what I want out of a road bike and have had the opportunity to test different brands and frame sizes. I would be buying used locally and would try the bike out before purchase. My thoughts are that if I get a nicer bike initially I would save money down the road by not needing to upgrade, but is a $3000 bike built that much better than a $1500 bike?

This purchase would be just for fun, not commuting regularly. Worth investing in for savings down the line or should I initially go for less?
If you feel like you know what you want, and you try different bikes and appreciate the $2.5-3K bike more than the $2k or $1K options, then no, it is not crazy to spend that much if you can afford it. In fact, it is probably better to get it now rather than buying twice.

There is a point of diminishing returns, but it varies by individual. . For ME, on a road/gravel bike, that starts to kick in over $2K But road is not my first love. For a mountain bike, its around $5K for me.

For others it is higher or lower.

So no, $2.5-3K is not crazy if you really like it.
Old 08-12-20, 09:57 AM
John Foster

Bikes: '16 Scott CR1 '82 Norco MagnumII

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts
Not Crazy

Not crazy to buy as long as it works for you.

Years ago I was shopping for my first road bike, I could have afforded a new bike then, but I was clueless as to what I should look for. I found an old Norco Magnum SE on Kijiji for $20.00, I bought it figuring that it would give me a starting point in figuring out what I needed in a new bike and ended up riding it for about 10 years. I have recently purchased a used bike(CF, DI2, high end rims etc.) for about the same money you are talking about. As people here frequently say "It is the engine, not the bike" which is very true in my case. I am a slow wobbly old grandfather, I did not buy this bike because it was fast, I bought it because it is easy and enjoyable to ride. You are also presumably buying quality which lasts. I still maintain my old Norco and have done upgrades on it and the people at the LBS have never rolled their eyes at it., My son-in-law has a newer big box store bike, and every time he brings it into the LBS they ask him when he is going to get a real bike..
Old 08-12-20, 01:10 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Count another in the 'No' camp.
Some things to consider, perhaps.
Is it the bike you want to be seen arriving on?
Will it bring you joy when you daydream about it during a boring meeting?
Will it inspire you to get it out and ride?
Will you enjoy it when you do get out and ride?
Once upon a time (1992) I bought a bike for $1500.00. I am still riding it, it does all of the above.
As someone mentioned above, used bikes are available for far below replacement value.
Good luck
Old 08-12-20, 01:16 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
Count another in the 'No' camp.
Some things to consider, perhaps.
Is it the bike you want to be seen arriving on?
Will it bring you joy when you daydream about it during a boring meeting?
Will it inspire you to get it out and ride?
Will you enjoy it when you do get out and ride?
Once upon a time (1992) I bought a bike for $1500.00. I am still riding it, it does all of the above.
As someone mentioned above, used bikes are available for far below replacement value.
Good luck
$1500 in 1992 = $2750 in 2020 dollars. Which is right in line with what the OP is planning to spend. Sounds like an argument for yes, rather than no.
Old 08-12-20, 04:33 PM
Pratt

Quoted: 414 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
Sorry to be unclear, I meant 'Not, you're not crazy'
Likes For Pratt:
Old 08-12-20, 05:19 PM
Stormsedge

Bikes: 2017 Trek Domane SL6 Disc, 1990 Schwinn Crosscut Frankenroadbike, 2015 KHS Team 29 FS, 2000 Gary Fisher Tassajara--gone but not forgotten

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 30 Posts
Nope. Not crazy. By comparison, I spent $1000 upgrading my old bike to ride a 100 miler...then spent $3500 two months later on a carbon road bike. Coulda been $4500 . Try them all, get the one that feels the best.
Old 08-12-20, 06:16 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
Looking to pick up my first road bike. I'm upgrading from a Citibike membership and want something that's actually fast, which would make longer rides way more enjoyable. I'm also interested in Zwifting during the winter. I've biked for a long while but have always rented/owned cheap bikes and would like to make an investment. I would like something that isn't 50lbs and that I can actually ride on the road fast enough.... looking at a sick Diverge Comp which would be great for the rough tracks.

Am I crazy to want to buy a nicer bike with a budget of $2.5-3k as my first real bike? Should I start with something cheaper and work my way up? I feel like I know what I want out of a road bike and have had the opportunity to test different brands and frame sizes. I would be buying used locally and would try the bike out before purchase. My thoughts are that if I get a nicer bike initially I would save money down the road by not needing to upgrade, but is a $3000 bike built that much better than a $1500 bike?

This purchase would be just for fun, not commuting regularly. Worth investing in for savings down the line or should I initially go for less?
sometimes you pay that actual 2 to 3k on the group set , sometimes you actually get a worse bike with a better group , they love to play tricks , 2 to 3 k is a decent budget but you really have to start from the purpose of the bike , a diverge is an adventure bike so its made to go on and off road somewhat , it wont give the most road efficiency compared to an emonda or tarmac as an example , which would be purely for the road , after you figure out your purpose , go for the best frame and just use lower grade group sets , sram rival or shimmy 105 are just as good as any red or dura ace parts , and you can always upgrade over time, but the frame will not be as easy to upgrade , wheels too , make sure the wheels are exactly what you need and not what they want to sell you !!!!
Old 08-12-20, 09:59 PM
vgmightyp

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Tarmac Disc Sport, 2020 CAADX 105, 2018 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Specialized Sirrus Disc, 1997 Mongoose Maneuver

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 9 Posts
Do you have time to ride?
Where are you going to ride? Central Park, 9W, pallisades, etc
Get the bike that's going to take you to the places you want to go and ride with the people you want to ride with.
Likes For vgmightyp:
Old 08-13-20, 12:14 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Great responses. But do you think there is a better chance of the OP getting to 10 posts or getting a $2.5k bike?

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-13-20, 08:28 AM
GAtkins

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane SLR7 Project One 62cm- 2010 Specialized Allez 61cm

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Great responses. But do you think there is a better chance of the OP getting to 10 posts or getting a $2.5k bike?

John
A very astute observation. We're just talking to ourselves, aren't we?

Glenn
Old 08-13-20, 09:11 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 600 Post(s)
Liked 778 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by CAT7RDR
Whatever gets you out on the road. Truth be told, you could get two amazing vintage steel bikes for that amount of coin if you knew bikes. Since you likely do not, overpay for that shiny carbon piece that's calling you. Not crazy, but I was one who overpaid on a $2,000 bike when I am much more satisfied with a used steel bike.
Agree and list the candidate bike and/or ask for suggestions and this group can really help you make a good buy decision.
Old 08-13-20, 09:12 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

But it is a very valid and age old question that applies to more than just bikes.

Regardless of sports equipment or musical instruments or whatever activity/pastime/hobby it is always the same question and response.

In my opinion it all comes down to the individual and his/her commitment to a well thought out activity.

For someone who has a garage/closet full of previous failed, or interest lost, endeavors the answer is obvious. Yes it is stupid to spend the money because there is a high probability that the bike will not be used down the road.

For someone who has a number of interests, but makes sure it is not just a frivolous purchase, and sticks with them and enjoys them, it might be a wise move. Even if the time spent sometimes wanes. It is not crazy, especially if that person appreciates a quality product and maintains it.

The other oddity is asking a forum of passionate people dedicated to an activity. Even if the advice is to not spend it, regardless of what it is, the underlying theme is that in the long run quality trumps everything else, except for limited funds.

John
Old 08-13-20, 09:41 AM
70sSanO

I will add that the most universal response to someone starting out, regardless if it is a guitar or golf clubs, or even a bike, is to buy good used.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 08-13-20, 09:48 AM
capt_velo

Bikes: 1988 Gitane Team Replica, 2022 Trek Top Fuel 9.8

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Buy it so I can buy it off you used in a year or two when you've stopped riding.

Pace yourself. There's a huge difference between those Citi bikes and a racing style bike. Pick up something used/cheap and try it for a while.
Old 08-13-20, 10:03 AM
spoofer

Bikes: Trek Domane, Raleigh Technium MB

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
So Speedy...I decided a month ago I was going to buy a new road bike. Hadn't rode in 25 yrs. Did research, narrowed down the Bike Shop, and down to 2 models. A Cannonade or Trek. I went in willing to spend up to 2k. Wanted Hydr. Brakes and Shimano 105's. Sales guy kinda slowed me down and recommended the Trek Domane at $1250. Said it was probably 4 times better than anything I ever rode and he's probably right. Been very happy with it so far. Spent the extra $ on a rack, mirror,lights etc. Put about 120 miles on it in the last 10 days.
Likes For spoofer:
Old 08-13-20, 11:23 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO

John
Zero chance of either.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 08-13-20, 11:31 AM
xraydog

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by retro grouch
"buy nice or buy twice."
amen!
Old 08-13-20, 10:50 PM
tankist

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 157 Times in 55 Posts
It's a simple rule: if you like cycling you should buy the best bike you can afford.
Old 08-14-20, 04:44 AM
spoofer

Bikes: Trek Domane, Raleigh Technium MB

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
I tried.... the sales person talked me down.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.