Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

My first bike

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-20, 09:24 PM
Brave99Heart

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first bike

Hello everybody,
I want you to help me choose between these two bikes as my first entry-level alloy-frame bike.
The first one is Scott speedster 20 disc bike 2021 and the other one is Kross Vento 4.0. Which is the bang for buck? Which one has better specs and is future proof? Thanks in advance for your valuable contributions.

https://www.scott-sports.com/us/en/p...icle=280641023
https://kross.eu/en/bikes/road/road/...urgundy-glossy
Also for my race bike, I am thinking of BMC Teammachine ALR one 2021. Is it a good bike?

https://us-en.bmc-switzerland.com/te...e-alr-one.html

Last edited by Brave99Heart; 09-21-20 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-21-20, 10:08 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1559 Post(s)
Liked 1,733 Times in 973 Posts
So you are looking to buy 2 bikes? One ‘race bike’ and one ‘non race bike’?
Why not just buy one carbon fiber bike instead of two similar aluminum bikes?
Old 09-21-20, 10:12 PM
Brave99Heart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
So you are looking to buy 2 bikes? One ‘race bike’ and one ‘non race bike’?
Why not just buy one carbon fiber bike instead of two similar aluminum bikes?
Any suggestions? The roads in my hometown are not well suited for a carbon frame; however, I am open to suggestions.
Old 09-21-20, 10:12 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
The Scott and Kross look to be almost identical. Compare the geometry charts. Compare the specs. Could be identical frames with almost the same parts groups. At some point, it comes down to which looks better, or which one has a local dealer so you can do a test ride, or which one your local shop sells, which could be handy if you find after a few days that you got the wrong size frame and want to trade it out..

I didn't look up the Canyon. They have the reputation of making sound, solid bicycles, as does Scott. I have not heard of Kross but they could be a big brand in your country, or even your country's outlet brand for a global distributor which sells under different badges indifferent countries. You can do your own comparisons of specs and geometry for the Canyon, but as far as I know, Canyon is 100 percent mail-order. If you guess the wrong size you are out of luck.

I have a similar bike, a 2017 Fuji Sportif, which i ride quite a bit. A real workhorse, for anything from quick rides to long rides to getting a huge load of groceries. Tons of fun.

Any of those bikes should last the rest of your life if you take good care of them. I don't think you could go wrong with any of them if you get the right size.
Old 09-22-20, 04:05 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 853 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
It is your bike, your decision. Depending on one's perspective, no bike is "future proof", all bikes are "future proof". I tend to look at it from the latter. I do not have a need to keep up with the latest/greatest. However, I do like having nice bikes and components, and am certainly sometimes guilty of making "upgrades" just to satisfy an itch. Nothing wrong with that per se, but it often really does not accomplish much other than to lighten my pockets. I wish you well in your endeavors towards acquiring a bike, or bikes. Try to get what you perceive to be the best you can afford, and get the proper fit, just my opinion.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 09-26-20, 08:07 PM
Brave99Heart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I will buy Rose SL Pro. What do you think?
Old 09-26-20, 08:28 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Brave99Heart
I think you've made a decision. Never heard of that bike.
Old 09-26-20, 08:30 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 492 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 201 Posts
Any suggestions? The roads in my hometown are not well suited for a carbon frame; however, I am open to suggestions.
I don't know about the two bikes in which you are interested, but I can speak to the carbon bike issue. If the frame is built robustly, rough rutted gravel is not an issue. The width of the tire it will accommodate is the issue. My road/gravel bike will run tires up to 700x40, and I run that size tire on pavement and occasional gravel. I have another bike, aluminum frame, that is built for 29x3 inch tires, and I use it for gravel exclusively and can run occasional singletrack. A bike in between might run 29x2.4 or 29x2.1, and thus be able to do both. The frame material is not the crucial factor. My carbon and aluminum bikes weigh close enough to be the same.
Old 10-10-20, 06:25 AM
steve198

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Scott speedster I can go with
Old 10-10-20, 02:29 PM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
looks clean no wires exposed. Buy it and start riding