Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Are these wheels toast ?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Are these wheels toast ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-20, 11:42 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
How can you not agree? The OP says it's a 280. I've provided photos of 280s. There is no wear indicator. Other members have posted that there were no indicators on these rims. Why are you so stubborn?

ETA: The production of these stopped sometime in the late 80's. They were replaced w/ the Open series. In the 90's these rims were welded together and machined (SUP). It was another 10 years or so before they ever had a groove machined as a wear indicator.

Last edited by cxwrench; 09-23-20 at 11:55 AM.
Old 09-23-20, 12:03 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 2,563 Times in 1,577 Posts
Paging @Tomm Willians . We need pictures of your rim labels, another sidewall, and your brake pads.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-23-20, 12:26 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 264 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
While I disagree with cxwrench...and with you...about the model of the rim, I do agree with him that what you are seeing is “oil canning”. The eyelets area is resists bending while between the eyelets is somewhat softer. The rim bends slightly as the brake slides over the spaces between the eyelets then flares out again. The result is a slight pulsation of the brakes that you likely won’t feel but it results in an odd wear pattern. There’s nothing really wrong with it. Check the rims occasionally for straight walls by putting a straight edge on them. If they cup, replace them. Otherwise just ride.

There is a sticker on the rim with the model number I gave so I’m assuming it’s correct.
Old 09-23-20, 01:09 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
How can you not agree? The OP says it's a 280. I've provided photos of 280s. There is no wear indicator. Other members have posted that there were no indicators on these rims. Why are you so stubborn?

ETA: The production of these stopped sometime in the late 80's. They were replaced w/ the Open series. In the 90's these rims were welded together and machined (SUP). It was another 10 years or so before they ever had a groove machined as a wear indicator.
Yes, there is no wear indicator on the pictures you provided. There is obviously a wear indicator line in the pictures Tomm Williams provided. Nothing imbedded in a brake track would make such a consistently regular line for that long at exactly the half way point between the rim edge and the spoke bed. Look at the other scratches on the rim. None of them are as long nor as deep. If the rim were worn and that were a crack, it wouldn’t be that regular. There may be something hinky going on with the model of the rim but it is obvious to others as well as myself that the line is a wear indicator line.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 09-23-20, 01:34 PM
cxwrench

Yes, there is no wear indicator on the pictures you provided. There is obviously a wear indicator line in the pictures Tomm Williams provided. Nothing imbedded in a brake track would make such a consistently regular line for that long at exactly the half way point between the rim edge and the spoke bed. Look at the other scratches on the rim. None of them are as long nor as deep. If the rim were worn and that were a crack, it wouldn’t be that regular. There may be something hinky going on with the model of the rim but it is obvious to others as well as myself that the line is a wear indicator line.
For the last time...NO...it is not an indicator. These rims were made from 60's(maybe70's) through the 80's. Mavic didn't mill brake tracks til the mid-late 90's. They didn't even start with indicators until the 2000's. I promise you that this is most definitely NOT a machined groove. A small rock could easily get imbedded in the pad and cause this. I don't have the time or the energy to argue w/ stubborn know-nots any more today, I need to get back to my day job...which for the last 25 years has been a bike mechanic. I'll never understand people that can't admit they're wrong because they 'think' they're right.
Old 09-23-20, 01:35 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

It's a "grain of sand got embedded in the middle of the brake pad" indicator line, dude.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-23-20, 02:03 PM
Tomm Willians

Bikes: Subject to change at any given moment but currently is...... Colnago Mapei, Colnago C40, Wilier Triestina Carbon, Wilier Triestina Ramato, Follis 472, Peugeot PX60, Razesa, Orbea Terra, Soma Pescadero and 1/2 owner of a Santana tandem.

What other model would my rims be if they are not actually GEL 280’s as marked ? Was mismarking products a known issue with Mavic ? Would there be any other identification features on the rims that would resolve identifying them ?
Old 09-23-20, 03:36 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by Tomm Willians
What other model would my rims be if they are not actually GEL 280’s as marked ? Was mismarking products a known issue with Mavic ? Would there be any other identification features on the rims that would resolve identifying them ?
No, they did not mismark rims. The only other thing they could be is the GL330, the heavier version of the 280. The SSC was a different color. Once they stopped making those rims the tubular were the same shape as the clinchers. Trust me, you have either a 280 or a 330. Trust me, they did NOT have wear indicators. Trust me, they did not have machined brack tracks. There is nothing wrong w/ your wheels, they have completely normal wear but are totally rideable.
Old 09-23-20, 03:49 PM
blamester
Blamester

Bikes: Peugeot teamline

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 101 Posts
Actually the rims do look pretty worn. But they are probably alright for another while. I have run gp4s down till they started to crack at the bend. Not the same rim but very similar construction.
And there was no anodizing left anywhere on the braking surface. I felt pulsing in the brake lever and I had a good look at them. Front went first obviously.
So I would give them a good clean and inspect. You should get plenty of warning if they are on the way out. No harm to look.
How deep is the abrasion on the surface?
Old 09-23-20, 05:29 PM
cyccommute 

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Originally Posted by cxwrench
For the last time...NO...it is not an indicator. These rims were made from 60's(maybe70's) through the 80's. Mavic didn't mill brake tracks til the mid-late 90's. They didn't even start with indicators until the 2000's. I promise you that this is most definitely NOT a machined groove. A small rock could easily get imbedded in the pad and cause this. I don't have the time or the energy to argue w/ stubborn know-nots any more today, I need to get back to my day job...which for the last 25 years has been a bike mechanic. I'll never understand people that can't admit they're wrong because they 'think' they're right.
If it is not a machined groove it is the rotuitous gouge in history. It just happens to follow in a perfect arc along about 20% of the rim in exactly the same place and about the same depth as indicator grooves have been placed on rims. I find that very hard to believe.

On the other hand, if it “just a gouge”, it’s an incredible deep one and the rim is certainly ruined. Never mind the discoloration, a gouge like that is a sure sign that the rim has a significant stress riser on it and will likely break before too long. I have never been a fan of the machined wear grooves because they are stress risers but an uncontrolled gouge...if we are to believe your scenario... of this size is even worse and of immediate concern.

I don’t happen to subscribe to that wild scenario.
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-23-20, 05:37 PM
cyccommute 

Does the “gouge” go all the way around the rim? How deep does it look? From the picture it looks exactly like a wear indicator. If it goes all the way around the rim, it is a wear indicator. If it is only a “scratch” like cxwrench contents, the it looks very deep and it is very, very long for a simple “scratch”. It is a gouge that indicates serious damage to the brake track and is likely to crack in the future. If it does crack, it probably won’t cause you to crash but it might end up in a walk of shame.

Old 09-23-20, 05:46 PM
blamester
Blamester

Does the “gouge” go all the way around the rim? How deep does it look? From the picture it looks exactly like a wear indicator. If it goes all the way around the rim, it is a wear indicator. If it is only a “scratch” like cxwrench contents, the it looks very deep and it is very, very long for a simple “scratch”. It is a gouge that indicates serious damage to the brake track and is likely to crack in the future. If it does crack, it probably won’t cause you to crash but it might end up in a walk of shame.
It's not a wear indicator but it is wear from a something in the brake pad or a badly worn one.
​​​​​​A pic of the other side will prove it.
The o.p. was concerned enough to question it and he was right. I would be seeking a replacement if I was doing a lot of miles on it.
It's on the way out. It's needs a good clean and inspection.
Old 09-23-20, 05:52 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
On one hand, I'd be amazed to see a hardox rim with wear indicators.

On the other, that looks very much like a wear indicator and nothing else.

Weird.
Likes For Kimmo:
Old 09-23-20, 05:57 PM
Tomm Willians

Took some additional pics of just one side of the front rim after wiping it down, hopefully these resolve any debate? I will take a few of the other side in just a moment

Old 09-23-20, 06:24 PM
cyccommute 

Took some additional pics of just one side of the front rim after wiping it down, hopefully these resolve any debate? I will take a few of the other side in just a moment

I willing to admit when I’m wrong and that’s the case here. On the other hand, gouges that deep are cause for concern. The sidewalls of the rim are compromised not because of the “tin canning” between the spokes but because of the deep scratches. The wheels are seriously worn.

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 09-23-20, 06:38 PM
Tomm Willians

I willing to admit when I’m wrong and that’s the case here. On the other hand, gouges that deep are cause for concern. The sidewalls of the rim are compromised not because of the “tin canning” between the spokes but because of the deep scratches. The wheels are seriously worn.
Thanks for the reply, so my next question is....... these came on a 1985 Wilier Triestena Ramata that I just acquired. If you were to replace these with clinchers but keep the vintage vibe, what would you choose ?
Old 09-23-20, 07:00 PM
blamester
Blamester

H plus son tb14
Old 09-23-20, 07:27 PM
cxwrench

Good on ya for that

Originally Posted by blamester
H plus son tb14
Excellent choice.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 09-23-20, 08:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Two other rims to consider:

Sun M13-II: much like a Rigida 1320, ~$25-35 (these used to be much cheaper!)
Pacenti Brevet: looks sort of like a 50's Mavic but for the machined sidewalls, wider but still lightweight, ~$80
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 09-23-20 at 08:15 PM.
Likes For ThermionicScott:
Old 09-23-20, 08:50 PM
well biked

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 89 Posts
I see a whole bunch of wear indicators on that rim. At least a couple of them indicate the rim is worn out.

You say the bike is a vintage Wilier? Does it have the cromovelato finish? The first time I saw one of those I was stunned by how beautiful it was.
Old 09-23-20, 09:00 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease Carbon Deore 11, 2020 Salsa Warbird GRX 600, 2020 Canyon Ultimate CF SLX disc 9.0 Di2, 2020 Catrike Eola, 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011, Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4367 Post(s)
Liked 3,001 Times in 1,854 Posts
Originally Posted by sweeks
If your rim produces a "thumping" sound or feeling when the brake is applied, it's time to get a new rim.
I had a rim that did that. Something (a rock?), had put a little divot in the rim, and left a small crater and surrounding that, a little bit of deformed metal sticking up. I removed it with some fine emery and steel wool (took a long time) and the wheels lasted for quite a while more before other unrelated problems arose.
Old 09-23-20, 09:11 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by well biked
I see a whole bunch of wear indicators on that rim. At least a couple of them indicate the rim is worn out.

You say the bike is a vintage Wilier? Does it have the cromovelato finish? The first time I saw one of those I was stunned by how beautiful it was.
Yes, here it is
Likes For Tomm Willians:
Old 09-23-20, 09:16 PM
Tomm Willians

Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Two other rims to consider:

Sun M13-II: much like a Rigida 1320, ~$25-35 (these used to be much cheaper!)
Pacenti Brevet: looks sort of like a 50's Mavic but for the machined sidewalls, wider but still lightweight, ~$80
I’d like to move to clinchers and it looks like the Pacenti are tubulars?
Old 09-23-20, 09:26 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

I’d like to move to clinchers and it looks like the Pacenti are tubulars?
They're tubeless-compatible clincher rims. You can run regular clincher tires on them if you wish.
RUSA #7498
Old 09-24-20, 04:27 AM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 580 Times in 398 Posts
Originally Posted by MinnMan
I had a rim that did that. Something (a rock?), had put a little divot in the rim...
Yes, a rim that is deformed by an impact can cause a "thump" when the brakes are applied. This is more of an annoyance than anything else. However, when the brake wear on the rim walls makes them thin enough to begin to flex outward under the air pressure in the tire, it's a potential serious issue. The rim can fail suddenly; if this happens on a front wheel at any speed or in traffic, very bad things could happen.

This rim is toast!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.