Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why is steel out of favour?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why is steel out of favour?

Old 09-25-20, 09:04 AM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by LV2TNDM
Thyssenkrup is doing exactly this with steel:
https://bikerumor.com/2019/07/18/thy...tweight-steel/

And to say welding tubes together is outdated is simply wrong. Welding air hardening steels increases strength at the heat-affected zone, avoiding many of the shortcomings of previous steel tubes. Welding metals is far from something manufacturers don't do any more.

And hydroformed frames are STILL WELDED! Thyssendrup welds the two halves of the frames together. So much for "outdated" manufacturing processes!
That Thyssenkrup frame is interesting. It's not nearly as high strength steel as what is usually used on bike frames. I think they said 390MPa somewhere. Mid-range Columbus or Reynolds tubes are more like 800MPa. I guess they need something more ductile to be able to stamp out the shape like that. I doubt the finished frame is as nice as a regular steel frame.

And yes welding is certainly not outdated! Brazing with oxy-acetylene torches largely is outside the world of framebuilding however. But it still works very well especially on bikes.
​​
Old 09-25-20, 09:17 AM
guy153

Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
I didn't say welding is outdated. I said welding off the shelf tubes together is outdated. The link you had about Thyssenkrupp developing pressed/formed steel is exactly what I was talking about- this is the way forward for steel. Hopefully their technology will lead somewhere.

Meanwhile for today's craft steel frame makers, they should start doing more of this:
It's hard to beat cold-drawn seamless tubes for strength-to-weight ratio. This is why you see them used in roll-cages. What Thyssenkrupp are doing is a great way to mass-produce car bodies where strength to weight is important, especially as crash-testing and emissions-testing both become stricter, but not such a high priority. It is certainly impressive that they are now in the ballpark where they can make a bike frame but I doubt it's actually as good. All this stuff about how you can design the structure to be stiff where you need it etc. is something you say if your method of manufacture happens to allow that but I doubt it's significant enough to make up for the difference in wall thickness and weight.
Old 09-25-20, 10:33 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10244 Post(s)
Liked 11,596 Times in 5,943 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
I have a 13 year old Serotta that is my daily bike. It has Campy Chorus on it. I’ve been offered $3,700 for it. Not sure anyone would want a carbon bike that was 13 years old, just saying.
Perhaps, but a 13 year old, high end steel bike stands at nearly the pinnacle of steel frame development, whereas by comparison carbon fiber is a much newer technology that has changed considerably in the last 13 years. And of course there's a substantial amount of nostalgia for steel - see this thread for example - that doesn't exist for CF. Yet.

Note - I have two steel bikes and two CF. The two steels are in a three-way tie with one of the CFs for 'Favorite Bike'. Each one has the edge for favorite till I ride one of the others. The other CF bike? Close Fourth. But definitely fourth.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 09-25-20, 10:49 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Perhaps, but a 13 year old, high end steel bike stands at nearly the pinnacle of steel frame development, whereas by comparison carbon fiber is a much newer technology that has changed considerably in the last 13 years. And of course there's a substantial amount of nostalgia for steel - see this thread for example - that doesn't exist for CF. Yet.

Note - I have two steel bikes and two CF. The two steels are in a three-way tie with one of the CFs for 'Favorite Bike'. Each one has the edge for favorite till I ride one of the others. The other CF bike? Close Fourth. But definitely fourth.
13 years from now carbon bikes being sold today won’t be rideable because so many parts are non-standard and the main areas of stress are quite questionable IMO. But great wall art.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-25-20, 11:23 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
13 years from now carbon bikes being sold today won’t be rideable because so many parts are non-standard and the main areas of stress are quite questionable IMO. But great wall art.
Not so sure about that, bicycle history is littered with standards that are no longer supported; Italian bottom brackets, 120mm rear wheel spacing, freewheels, various seat post sizes, down-tube indexed shifters, etc. There are always workarounds and those will exist in the future for current technology.
Carbon bikes have been on the market for over 30 years and many of the mass-produced brands are still reliably on the road such as the classic Trek 5500. Lastly, since almost all of the current higher-end steel road bikes utilize carbon forks and other critical carbon components will you banish them to the wall as well in 13 years?
Old 09-25-20, 11:51 AM
Wileyone 

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 605 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
Not so sure about that, bicycle history is littered with standards that are no longer supported; Italian bottom brackets, 120mm rear wheel spacing, freewheels, various seat post sizes, down-tube indexed shifters, etc. There are always workarounds and those will exist in the future for current technology.
Carbon bikes have been on the market for over 30 years and many of the mass-produced brands are still reliably on the road such as the classic Trek 5500. Lastly, since almost all of the current higher-end steel road bikes utilize carbon forks and other critical carbon components will you banish them to the wall as well in 13 years?
Lots of Companies still make Italian BB also freewheels. Most high end bikes still use a 27.2 seat post size.

Not sure where you are getting your info from...
Old 09-25-20, 11:59 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
steel will never be out of favour, or favor
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 09-25-20, 12:17 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by velopig
I banished carbon forks years ago because of looks.

Most of the components will be fine just like most of the bikes probably will, the standards are a concern of mine also but we’ll see how it all washes in a couple years
Old 09-25-20, 12:49 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Steel has been around awhile. I don't think it is going out of favour anytime. I don't have an aluminum or carbon bike in my garage, there have been a couple pass through, but none have stuck around.
Old 09-25-20, 12:55 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1217 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 653 Posts
Originally Posted by Wileyone
Lots of Companies still make Italian BB also freewheels. Most high end bikes still use a 27.2 seat post size.

Not sure where you are getting your info from...
I think you missed my point trying to prove yours. There will always be workarounds for legacy technologies and this will continue going forward. Solutions to press-fit BB's or whatever items you are concerned do and will exist.
Old 09-25-20, 12:59 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts
Perhaps, but a 13 year old, high end steel bike stands at nearly the pinnacle of steel frame development, . .
I would disagree with that statement. I think the high end steel bikes being made now (think Battaglin) make steel bikes of 10 years ago look like junkers.
Likes For vespasianus:
Old 09-25-20, 01:09 PM
bcpriess

Bikes: Masi Giramondo, Trek 830 monstercross build, Raleigh Gran Sport, Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 12 Posts
I'm 40, and all the bikes I actually ride are steel. So steel is stylish in my household.
Likes For bcpriess:
Old 09-25-20, 01:26 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
I have a 13 year old Serotta that is my daily bike. It has Campy Chorus on it. I’ve been offered $3,700 for it. Not sure anyone would want a carbon bike that was 13 years old, just saying.
I'd love to see that bike!
Old 09-25-20, 01:27 PM
jadocs

Originally Posted by rsbob
Rode this bad boy today just for the helluvit. Not a round tube to be found. The cows liked it but wanted to know about the saddle. I told them synthetic.

After getting a new wheel set with Conti 5000s for the carbon, the Gatorskins will be going. Enjoy the differences between the bikes.

Is that a leather saddle?
Nice, you don't see too many Fondriests around. Matter of fact I can't remember the last time I saw one. I have a P4 that I use as a trainer bike.
Old 09-25-20, 01:31 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by jadocs
I'd love to see that bike!
here you go, getting ready for 7 times around Central Park as we speak.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-25-20, 01:39 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Apparently, it looks like a junker.

Originally Posted by vespasianus
I would disagree with that statement. I think the high end steel bikes being made now (think Battaglin) make steel bikes of 10 years ago look like junkers.
Not to me, of course, but as I mentioned I love my steel bikes, too, even though the youngest is twice as old as that sweet Serotta.

Old 09-25-20, 01:45 PM
jadocs

here you go, getting ready for 7 times around Central Park as we speak.
Beautiful!
Old 09-25-20, 01:53 PM
Mulberry20

Not to me, of course, but as I mentioned I love my steel bikes, too, even though the youngest is twice as old as that sweet Serotta.
At the park, I live across the street.

Old 09-25-20, 01:58 PM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

At the park, I live across the street.

Looks like the same generation of Chorus I used to build up my Battaglin.

Old 09-25-20, 02:22 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 6882 Post(s)
Liked 10,872 Times in 4,637 Posts
Originally Posted by vespasianus
Please explain. To my knowledge, the last ten years have brought no advancements in the metallurgy of bike frames nor in the methods used for assembling them.
Old 09-25-20, 02:51 PM
RockiesDad

Quoted: 220 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 17 Posts
I really like my modern steel bike. Here are some thoughts on design...

https://fairlightcycles.com/strael-c...v=79cba1185463

Last edited by RockiesDad; 09-25-20 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-25-20, 04:04 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1722 Post(s)
Liked 1,272 Times in 734 Posts

I am pretty happy with my GURU Sidero. 17 lbs. 12 oz and a joy to ride.
Old 09-25-20, 04:23 PM
Mulberry20

Originally Posted by Koyote
Please explain. To my knowledge, the last ten years have brought no advancements in the metallurgy of bike frames nor in the methods used for assembling them.
Not sure I would agree. The Columbus XCR tube set is fairly new. It is the only seamless, stainless steel tube set available and it is lighter and stronger than any metal tub set. Walls can be a thin as .4 mm. The Cicli Barco reviewd in the link is 17.7 lbs with Barco’s in house stainless fork. A carbon fork would probably bring it to flat 17. That bike is spec’d to the gills and came in at 12k. A new Trek Domane weighs 20lbs.

Honestly, would you pick a 12k Giant, Specialzed or Trek over that gorgeous, custom, handmade Italian beauty?

https://www.cyclist.co.uk/reviews/66...rco-xcr-review

Last edited by Mulberry20; 09-25-20 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-25-20, 04:28 PM
Mulberry20

[QUOTE=genejockey;21713443]Looks like the same generation of Chorus I used to build up my Battaglin.

[]

My group set has a lot carbon bits sprinkled throughout.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 09-25-20, 05:43 PM
vespasianus

Bikes: Turner 5-Spot Burner converted; IBIS Ripley, Specialized Crave, Tommasini Sintesi, Cinelli Superstar, Tommasini X-Fire Gravel

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked 376 Times in 210 Posts

No my point is that the peak of steel bike production (in terms of quality) was not 50, 20 or 10 years ago. The modern steel bikes that are being made are lighter, stiffer, more comfortable and I would argue more beautiful than ever.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.