Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Good Cycling Magazine?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Good Cycling Magazine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-20, 09:28 AM
oldwinger14

Bikes: 2022 Pinarello Paris Di2, 2016 Orbea Avant Ultegra mounted on a Wahoo Kickr Core

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 89 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 75 Posts
Good Cycling Magazine?

While online is the best place to find info on any topic you desire, I still like paging thru a magazine and reading articles and ads that interest me. What cycling magazine do you read? i am mostly interested in new technology, bike reviews, new accessories, etc.. rather than rehashing completed pro races, and other past news.
Old 09-29-20, 09:57 AM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Bicycle Quarterly.

You get what you pay for.
Likes For Cyclist0108:
Old 09-29-20, 10:45 AM
GreatDane84

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldwinger14
While online is the best place to find info on any topic you desire, I still like paging thru a magazine and reading articles and ads that interest me. What cycling magazine do you read? i am mostly interested in new technology, bike reviews, new accessories, etc.. rather than rehashing completed pro races, and other past news.
Road Bike Action magazine. Best magazine focused on bikes and equipment.
Likes For GreatDane84:
Old 09-29-20, 09:21 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4350 Post(s)
Liked 3,989 Times in 2,663 Posts
I don't really do magazines but I do read Jan Heines stuff and it is always great and I have read some of the BQs and I would subscribe if it made sense for me. Roleur was interesting when I saw it at a shop in Tejas but I didn't actually buy it and haven't looked a copy much since but seemed to have some cool enough stuff along with plenty of lovely hipster fun that makes modern cycling kind of interesting.

I generally check out TheRadavist.com most of the time, always great content and free. Also loads of stories on Lael Wilcox and her partner Rugile going on awesome adventures and such which are super inspiring plus the new readers rides segment they do is always awesome. Some people have some pretty rad bikes.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 09-30-20, 07:08 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,928 Times in 1,210 Posts
Tough question. Many specialty magazines have, by their very nature, only a limited pot of topics to cover. After that, it's reruns, sometimes the same plots (like TV episodes) with different writers. Bicycling, the magazine, for instance, has between one and two years' material; after that you'll be reading and suddenly think, "Haven't I read this before?" (Yes, you have.) Go to a newsstand and look at an issue once or twice a year to see what the latest ads are for after you've gone through a subscription.

Bicycle Quarterly has handled that by diversifying into what I think of as "Mountain Dew commercial" types of ride reports. Solo hike-a-bike rides on remote, rocky, mountainous routes, where a serious injury could mean death. No, thank you. I'm only subscribed now because I unwittingly re-up'ed for two years while I still had a year left on my subscription. But there's some good stuff in some of the back issues. Just remember Heine views bicycles through a filter of "the world's best bicycles were built by Rene' Herse between 1945 and 1960."

I'm "subscribed" (through membership) to a couple other periodicals, Adventure Cyclist and American Randonneurs (adventurecycling.org and rusa.org, respectively). Honestly, both seem to be struggling right now. AC has something that I really enjoy about once every three issues -- but then I'm an older white man, so I'm not particularly oppressed, nor am I impressed by stupid things I survived kinds of stories. I've admitted that I'll probably never ride PBP, but some of the randonneur ride reports are interesting and draw me in; but writing skills are uneven and they're suffering from COVID-induced shortages of new group rides for material.
Old 09-30-20, 07:27 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I love magazines, and at one time was subscribed to at least a dozen. But over the years sadly they have become little more that picture books with no substance at all.
Old 09-30-20, 11:54 AM
jrg1244

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale CAAD 5 Potenza 66cm, 1984 Basso Gap Nuovo Record 65cm, 1989 Cannondale ST Racing Triple 27", 1974 Schwinn Paramount Nuovo Record 26", 198? Scapin MKII 66cm Victory, 1994 Havnoonian Chorus 8sp 27"

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 44 Posts
I subscribe to Peloton magazine, it's honestly a good read most of the time. I find it's a good mix of bikes, gear, travel and generally interesting cycling and racing history. I think you can download a free copy of the current version to try it out on their website.
Old 09-30-20, 12:33 PM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
None. Just like with all other zines for whatever you're into. It's all too late and mostly crap.

You can get more up to date and better content scouring through comments and forums or on social media.

All the new technology in bike magazines is one long ad. Fine if you're into that. As soon as a new bike comes out (Specialized SL7 recently) you can get more info, more pertinent, and quicker by checking out Twitter (yech), YouTube and Instagram.

Magazines are too slow and need to make money (nothing wrong with that) but they cater to people on the other side of the magazine (hint: the ones paying the bills..i.e the companies that advertise in them...your $11.99 yearly subscription is **** to them).
Old 10-08-20, 06:40 AM
steve198

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Road Bike Action magazine is pretty good.
Old 10-08-20, 06:43 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
Just bear in mind that most magazines are mostly funded through ad sales -- which means that they exist to sell things.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 10-08-20, 08:22 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Just bear in mind that most magazines are mostly funded through ad sales -- which means that they exist to sell things.
Or in the case of some Internet Sites, they are funded through through ad sales AND selling information about their readers/clickers to the advertisers.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-08-20, 09:46 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
I'm "subscribed" (through membership) to a couple of other periodicals, Adventure Cyclist and American Randonneurs (adventurecycling.org and rusa.org, respectively). Honestly, both seem to be struggling right now. AC has something that I really enjoy about once every three issues -- but then I'm an older white man, so I'm not particularly oppressed, nor am I impressed by stupid things I survived kinds of stories.
AC disconnected me when, in answer to members' complaints, the editor retorted that if you didn't like what he chose to put in the magazine you should subscribe to Bicycling.
Old 10-08-20, 09:50 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1666 Post(s)
Liked 1,818 Times in 1,057 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Or in the case of some Internet Sites, they are funded through ad sales AND selling information about their readers/clickers to the advertisers.
Oh, to be sure, magazines sell their subscriber's names and mailing addresses.

Back decades ago when magazines were a thing I would subscribe with a bogus middle initial so I could track who sold my info to whom.
Likes For tcs:
Old 10-11-20, 08:38 AM
rydabent
Banned

I recently joined Adventure Cycling, and get their magazine. It seems to have some pretty good articles in it.

Their content follows the aim of their organization, and even usually has a report on some form of touring bike.

Last edited by rydabent; 10-19-20 at 07:16 PM.
Old 10-11-20, 06:15 PM
Duo
Banned.

Bikes: The Good Book of bicycling

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 535 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
AC disconnected me when, in answer to members' complaints, the editor retorted that if you didn't like what he chose to put in the magazine you should subscribe to Bicycling.
bicycling mag used to be my go to. anyone think they may return to greatness again?
Old 10-11-20, 06:33 PM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
I like Cycling Weekly and VeloNews.
Old 10-13-20, 10:40 AM
rydabent
Banned

Originally Posted by Duo
bicycling mag used to be my go to. anyone think they may return to greatness again?
Back in the 80s they were great. But sadly they are one of the magazine that have become mainly a picture book, and vehicle for their advertisers.

Last edited by rydabent; 10-19-20 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-13-20, 02:13 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 224 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
American Randonnuer is the only mag I read. Only because nothing else comes to my mailbox.

I did like their article about the anime "Long Riders" which did inspire me to do overnight 200k rides
Old 10-19-20, 10:45 AM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
A quick thread-bump, for anyone with a genuine interest in and fondness for print-based magazines. Sadly, Bike magazine (and its associated website, which doesn't matter to me) is no more, at least "for now": https://www.bikemag.com/news/goodbye-for-now/

As far as mtb was concerned, Bike was the best U.S. magazine out there for a very long time, especially under Brice Minnigh's editorial guidance: superb photography, usually integrated with very, very well-written features, and a strong focus on 'riding' bikes rather than on bike fetishism.

The print mag had been going downhill the last couple of years -- something which coincided with Minnigh's departure and with its going quarterly and increasing reliance on parallel 'web' content.

Fortunately, Minnigh is now editor-in-chief of Freehub, a large-format quarterly that is rapidly improving its editorial content. So there is that.

Last edited by badger1; 10-19-20 at 12:09 PM.
Old 10-19-20, 11:01 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,536 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by badger1
As far as mtb was concerned, Bike was the best U.S. magazine out there for a very long time, especially under Brice Minnigh's editorial guidance: superb photography, usually integrated with very, very well-written features, and a strong focus on 'riding' bikes rather than on bike fetishism.
"Bike Fetishism," I like that term.

Is that a condition characterized by drooling over bicycle products with the appropriate labels, paint schemes and eye watering price tags?
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-19-20, 12:21 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
"Bike Fetishism," I like that term.

Is that a condition characterized by drooling over bicycle products with the appropriate labels, paint schemes and eye watering price tags?
Sadly, I can't take credit for the term. The concept is long-standing -- not unrelated to poseur, for example-- but that particular coinage comes from BSNYC. Weiss may not have been the first to use it, but that's where I first came across the term years ago.

And yes, the affliction could be characterized by drooling over 'objects' as you describe.