Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you get enough protein?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-20, 06:51 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
He said he can produce his own protein.
We can recombine protein from amino acids from protein. But the protein has to be ingested to begin with. Even the animals we eat got all the protein from the plants they ate. Plants produce protein. Very little, that's why a cow eats a huge amount all day long. The animals we eat basically just concentrated the protein, didn't make it.

If you only eat food with little protein, you won't have enough. We don't produce protein.

Stick to we need to eat protein. Everything else in that post is incorrect. Humans produce 11 amino acids. Microbes produce others, and some are produced by plants. Protein synthesis requires amino acids, some of which we need to obtain through diet. But your terminology and description of protein synthesis is all wrong.

We're not disagreeing about the dietary need for protein, but you're way over your skis when you try to explain why. Humans and animals are not just concentrating proteins, they're synthesizing proteins that aren't found in plants. For some reason, you're confounding synthesizing amino acids with synthesizing proteins. Amino acids aren't themselves proteins, they're precursors. The post you were supposedly correcting was not wrong when it said that we synthesize our own proteins, and it specifically referred to one very good vegetable source of amino acids.

If all you want to say is that you can't get all the essential amino acids on a diet consisting entirely of carbs and fats, fine. But you really don't need to make false claims to support that.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-17-20, 07:24 AM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Has anyone mentioned riding with your mouth open to catch the bugs?
Likes For phughes:
Old 10-17-20, 07:39 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
Originally Posted by phughes
Has anyone mentioned riding with your mouth open to catch the bugs?
I was stung once on the upper gum by a bee. Learned my lesson about free protein while riding.
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 10-17-20, 07:48 AM
aclinjury

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 497 Post(s)
Liked 170 Times in 128 Posts
been on a "mostly" vegan diet for almost a decade now. I say "mostly" because about 3-4 times a month, i'll go out with friends/relatives and sometimes it's hard to order food that's completly vegan, so I'll order a small portion of fish/seafood pasta and order extra pasta to fill me up. Haven't chicken, goat, pork, beef, turkey for a decade, and frankly I can't their smell anymore, and my body can't process those meat anymore because of down-regulation of the enzymes involved in meat metabolism.

Let's just say i'm more ripped than all the guys eating meat that I know. I'm also stronger then all of them on the bike, including both aerobic and anaerobic power. And of course I'm also lighter than all of them (5'7, 123 lbs). I have been hearing the sentence "you need protein" or "where do you get your protein" for the last decade now. It's gotten to the point that if anyone ask me these questions, I'll challenge them to a "body weight" weightlifting session and an "endurance" challenge (be it cycling or running). If they can beat me in all those, then I'll consider ditching my vegan diet, if they can't then they shut up asking me about protein.

To date, none have succeeded. In fact, a few of them even asked me for advice about a balance vegan diet because they want to change. Go figure eh. Nothing like clean blood flowing like a teenager. Nothing like getting an erection for the whole night on a daily that your gf is scared to go to bed with you. You don't get that sort of erection unless you're a 20something stallion, or on roids, or your blood vessels are clean.

Last edited by aclinjury; 10-17-20 at 07:52 AM.
Likes For aclinjury:
Old 10-17-20, 08:14 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Wooly Mammoth burgers!
Any idea where I can get some ??….I heard there is some mammoths buried under the arctic ice in Siberia. Maybe one day science will be able to clone some and then we can all have some mammoth burgers.
Old 10-17-20, 08:17 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Any idea where I can get some ??….I heard there is some mammoths buried under the arctic ice in Siberia. Maybe one day science will be able to clone some and then we can all have some mammoth burgers.
Try Hot Springs, SD. It may have some stashed away. Payed a visit during a bike tour in the Black Hills area.

https://www.mammothsite.org/
Old 10-17-20, 08:24 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Digger Goreman
Another long-time vegetarian here in the peak of health.

Eat lentils and bread: your body has every thing it needs to produce its own proteins. Eat fruits and green leaf veggies. No probs, no suffering (your's or others), gross environmental impact of growing meat decreases, food can be grown for people and not slaughter animals, famines can be lessened, hot-house gasses reduced....

A well balanced plant based diet creates the one wealth no one can take away, your health
In my experience, eating a lot of lentils results in a significant increase in greenhouse gas emissions, at least locally.
Likes For caloso:
Old 10-17-20, 08:41 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by surak
The idea of needing a protein drink after a ride is probably promulgated by pros needing something convenient to get needed nutrients...
Maybe. Another possibility is the idea of needing a protein drink after a ride is probably promulgated by pros needing something convenient to get easy cash into their pocket.
Likes For I-Like-To-Bike:
Old 10-17-20, 10:52 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10424 Post(s)
Liked 11,886 Times in 6,090 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
In my experience, eating a lot of lentils results in a significant increase in greenhouse gas emissions, at least locally.
But it's not Fossil Fuel, unless you're real old.

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Old 10-17-20, 12:43 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
The argument about whether we create our own proteins or not reminds me of a similar one about organic manure and fertilizer salts in Horticulture college back when organic was being introduced as a marketing ploy. Basically, the plant does not care what source the NPK comes from. It's all absorbed by the plant as an ionic compound.

Similarly, our bodies do not care where the amino acids come from - plant or animal product. The body makes no distinction either way.

In digestion all sources are all broken down into amino acids that are then synthesized into human proteins at the cellular level. Once it passes the gut barrier it is neither animal or plant protein.

The only benefit eating animal based protein allows is that all essential amino acids (to the resultant process of human protein creation) are present in one package. That is all.

In some cases, two or more plant sources must be combined to provide all the essential amino acids. Hence, beans and rice, lentils and rice etc... However, both soy and whey contain all the amino acids needed for protein synthesis.

When you understand this, and given that if you choose a vegetarian, rather than vegan diet, the availability of complete amino acid sources goes way up (milk, eggs, cheese) the argument that one needs to either eat vast quantities of plant based foods or meat based proteins for athletic performance falls flat. It's truly a non issue.

Societal, spiritual and environmental influences aside:
If you are primarily plant based, your concerns are eating enough sources of complete amino acids aka complete proteins.
If you are primarily meat based, your concerns are accumulated heavy metal toxicity, hormone or antibiotic additives, heart and bowel disease.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 10-17-20 at 12:52 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 10-17-20, 04:32 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Ninety-seven percent of Americans eat the recommended amount of protein, while Just 5% of Americans eat enough fiber.

It seems the far more relevant question is "How do you get enough fiber?"

https://www.realclearscience.com/blo...ican_diet.html
Likes For AlmostTrick:
Old 10-17-20, 04:52 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Protein deficiency doesn't exist, I never heard of anybody developing health problems because of not eating enough protein. I blame the fitness industry especially the bodybuilding culture for promoting protein supplements and for spreading lies and misinformation on how much protein we should be eating.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 10-17-20, 06:18 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
maybe vegetarians don't get enough?
Old 10-17-20, 06:33 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 614 Post(s)
Liked 565 Times in 429 Posts
At least two basic meals daily, often three; and at least a couple of protein-rich "snacks" in between (mini-meals). Four to five smaller meals/snacks, altogether, and generally 25-30gr protein in them.

At each sitting, there's a decent amount of protein in what I consume, along with moderate amounts of fat. Whey protein, whole-milk yogurt, legumes, beans, cheese, nuts/seeds, fish, some meats. Myself, I shoot for ~120gr+/daily, for protein. The fats/proteins (of course) provide longer-lasting fuels, and the more carb-rich a given meal or snack is where it works better for harder-intensity activities. (What carbs I do tend to be lots of vegetables, some fruits, and "complex" carbs; little to no manufactured/added sugar to speak of, other than dairy and the rare mfd/packaged ingredient I use.)

Though, I'm near 'senior' status and, with old injuries to boot, as such don't seem to push higher-intensity stints much. Might not work for others, but it works fairly well for me.

One go-to for me: a "blend" consisting of avocado, walnuts or almonds, chia seeds and/or flax seeds, whey powder, whole-milk yogurt, pomegranate juice, mixed berries or blueberries, "nut" milk, blended smooth. (Makes several servings.) Works out to about ~300-400cals and 30-40gr protein per serving, depending on ingredients, dialing-up the carbs for higher-intensity activities and dialing-down for when I want protein+fat heavy for longer-lasting fuel. A "light" meal, but works nicely.

Last edited by Clyde1820; 10-17-20 at 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling
Likes For Clyde1820:
Old 10-17-20, 07:58 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,967 Times in 1,916 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Ninety-seven percent of Americans eat the recommended amount of protein, while Just 5% of Americans eat enough fiber.

It seems the far more relevant question is "How do you get enough fiber?"

https://www.realclearscience.com/blo...ican_diet.html
by buying more carbon products.
Old 10-17-20, 08:50 PM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
Protein deficiency doesn't exist, I never heard of anybody developing health problems because of not eating enough protein. I blame the fitness industry especially the bodybuilding culture for promoting protein supplements and for spreading lies and misinformation on how much protein we should be eating.
I am more concerned with the type and mix of amino acids. That is the whole point not just the level of crude protein that is consumed.
Likes For Mulberry20:
Old 10-18-20, 05:54 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,535 Times in 1,045 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
I am more concerned with the type and mix of amino acids. That is the whole point not just the level of crude protein that is consumed.
I heard that there is a special type and mix of amino acids for those cyclists concerned about such issues. It is found only in a special powder formulated by Old World foodie artisans and brewed in a laboratory in a small Italian village by wizened old craftsman using techniques known only to them.
Old 10-18-20, 06:23 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
All endurance sports require a regular intake of protein for muscle and general health. What do you eat to make sure you are getting enough?
Recreational cycling is not an endurance sport by definition.
I highly doubt anyone on BF is in danger of not getting enough proteins based solely upon the intensity of their cycling.
Any reason you decided to post this here?
Old 10-18-20, 06:46 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
Recreational cycling is not an endurance sport by definition.

Uh, no, not by definition. One can definitely engage in endurance sport recreationally. I'm pretty sure that's a really good description of my riding, actually. You have a very odd dictionary.

I do need extra protein as a result, but I have no problem obtaining it through diet.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 10-18-20, 07:57 AM
Mulberry20

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I heard that there is a special type and mix of amino acids for those cyclists concerned about such issues. It is found only in a special powder formulated by Old World foodie artisans and brewed in a laboratory in a small Italian village by wizened old craftsman using techniques known only to them.
You are learning.....
Old 10-18-20, 11:43 PM
downhillmaster

Originally Posted by livedarklions
Uh, no, not by definition. One can definitely engage in endurance sport recreationally. I'm pretty sure that's a really good description of my riding, actually. You have a very odd dictionary.

I do need extra protein as a result, but I have no problem obtaining it through diet.
That’s good to know that you ride so hard that you are in danger of not getting enough proteins
Old 10-19-20, 02:58 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by downhillmaster
That’s good to know that you ride so hard that you are in danger of not getting enough proteins
A. I'm 59 years old, there's a natural tendency towards muscle loss as we age.

B. I ride more than 200 miles a week for much of the year. Most of that riding is, as you say, hard.

C. If I ate protein at "normal" RDA levels doing that at my age, I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to sustain that level of riding over those kind of distances as I would likely lose muscle mass doing so.

D. I'm quite sure you know absolutely nothing about that kind of riding.
Old 10-19-20, 04:15 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I ride more than 200 miles a week for much of the year. Most of that riding is, as you say, hard.
Pretty sure that goes well beyond what most people would call, "recreational."

That's essentially riding all three Grands Tours in a season..... seems to stretch the definition .... (https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/recreation) recreation :
rec·​re·​a·​tion | \ ˌre-krē-ˈā-shən \
refreshment of strength and spirits after work

Seems to me you're doing a lot of work and would need a lot of refreshment of strength and spirits after that much "recreational" riding.

In any case, I'd say you've earned your extra ration of amino acid compounds.
Old 10-19-20, 04:16 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
You are learning.....
There is an ignore list feature on this site. Might want to save yourself some time and use it. Then again, you would miss some entertainment.
Old 10-19-20, 04:27 AM
downhillmaster

A. I'm 59 years old, there's a natural tendency towards muscle loss as we age.

B. I ride more than 200 miles a week for much of the year. Most of that riding is, as you say, hard.

C. If I ate protein at "normal" RDA levels doing that at my age, I'm quite sure I wouldn't be able to sustain that level of riding over those kind of distances as I would likely lose muscle mass doing so.

D. I'm quite sure you know absolutely nothing about that kind of riding.
You are able to find the time to ride 200 miles per week.
That’s very cool and makes you special.
I mix my limited off time with riding and playing hockey. I am 55 and ran hard for 2.5 hours yesterday playing street hockey with mostly 30 year olds.
I eat a normal amount of proteins, do not lose muscle mass, and am pretty sure you know nothing about that.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.