Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Anyone using the generators built into the front hubs ?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-20, 08:19 PM
preventec47

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 28 Posts

I read up on two different brands today for around $300 and you get 3 watts of juice. I dont really know what you can do with 3 watts but todays LED lights
dont need much electricity at all. Would be nice to strap my boom box on the rear rack and pedal uphill to disco music and downhill to blues.........
Old 10-25-20, 08:31 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
You could put music on your phone and save $300....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 10-25-20, 08:34 PM
preventec47

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
You could put music on your phone and save $300....
But you cant really entertain a crowd like you can with the boom box. Besides on the trails they can hear you coming from far away
and it becomes a safety strategy.
Old 10-25-20, 10:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by preventec47
But you cant really entertain a crowd like you can with the boom box. Besides on the trails they can hear you coming from far away
If the crowd wants to be entertained, great. Otherwise, you are just being obnoxious and forcing everyone to listen to Whitesnake and Warrant.

You don't need a dynamo hub to play a speaker- just buy a bluetooth speaker on amazon thst fits in a bottle cage. They are $25-75 and can last a full day of play on a charge.

...or I guess you could ride around with your boombox. That'd be cool.***
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 10-25-20, 11:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
If there was a way to recharge bike light batteries and a cell phone, that would be wonderful. Probably should talk to an electrical engineer that likes a challenge.

Old 10-26-20, 12:21 AM
yamsyamsyams

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 20 Posts
On the trails people are usually looking to relax and get away, and I’ve found that they generally react negatively to those who have loud music blaring while on trail.
Likes For yamsyamsyams:
Old 10-26-20, 12:29 AM
totheDude

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Agree. I don’t understand those people who need to take their music to the outdoors.
Let me be very clear: when I go outdoors, I most definitely do not care for YOUR music. To me, that’s sound pollution and it should be prohibited.
Likes For totheDude:
Old 10-26-20, 02:27 AM
preventec47

Originally Posted by rsbob
If there was a way to recharge bike light batteries and a cell phone, that would be wonderful. Probably should talk to an electrical engineer that likes a challenge.
I was hoping someone here already had it all figured out but if we have to figure it out, I think the best plan would include a battery that is catching all the generated electricity and then can give us back a specific voltage and current that we can use with our toys. That is what they do with solar power in RVs and in homes using solar panels.

Actually the reason it first occurred to me is that I was searching for a wheel hub to build out a spare front wheel for a tandem bike
with 48 holes to match my rims and it appears that one of the hub dynamos with 48 holes would cost the same as an "apparently" exotic specialized
tandem hub. So in a way the generator would be free. Here is a wild thought... Say in the winter time, you could hook up to heated
gloves or heated socks etc.

Last edited by preventec47; 10-26-20 at 02:35 AM.
Old 10-26-20, 02:40 AM
preventec47

Originally Posted by totheDude
Agree. I don’t understand those people who need to take their music to the outdoors.
Let me be very clear: when I go outdoors, I most definitely do not care for YOUR music. To me, that’s sound pollution and it should be prohibited.
Yea I am with you all the way.... i was just trying to inject a little humor which apparently wasnt so obvious. So how about letting the stoker
watch a mini TV ? ? ? or with an inverter connected to a battery that is being charged with the generator output, could charge up about anything.
Old 10-26-20, 05:57 AM
Bryan C. 
nothing to see here

Quoted: 218 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
The dynamo hub seems versatile enough to be used by bikepackers and commuters to charge their phones and bike lights. I would assume a power bank of some sort would be charged while riding and then that would be used to charge whatever was needed while off the bike. Maybe someone who likes long night rides while using bright lights would benefit as well.

Outside of those examples, it's hard to find a meaningful use for a charging port on your bike.
Old 10-26-20, 06:16 AM
skier

Bikes: Performer X-Low, Catrike Trail, Windcheetah Club Sport, HPV Grasshopper, FAW+ Velomobile (under construction)

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 17 Posts
I was hoping someone here already had it all figured out but if we have to figure it out, I think the best plan would include a battery that is catching all the generated electricity and then can give us back a specific voltage and current that we can use with our toys. That is what they do with solar power in RVs and in homes using solar panels.

Actually the reason it first occurred to me is that I was searching for a wheel hub to build out a spare front wheel for a tandem bike
with 48 holes to match my rims and it appears that one of the hub dynamos with 48 holes would cost the same as an "apparently" exotic specialized
tandem hub. So in a way the generator would be free. Here is a wild thought... Say in the winter time, you could hook up to heated
look at what Velomobile riders do. I believe some of them have hub-driven electrical systems on their rides. I believe they have systems for charging phones/powering lights/ etc. and you may be able to get their wiring diagrams. This may be a good question for those over on the bentrider forum where there are more of those folks.
Old 10-26-20, 06:22 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
There is a way- its being discussed in this thread.
Charge a battery pack/power bank with the dynamo wheel. Use that to charge whatever electronics you use. This is done because the power continually fluctuates on a dynamo and is sometimes under the needed amount to charge a phone. Also, the power needs to convert from AC at the hub to DC at the phone.
Another option is to use a Plug III or Plug V which is a stem cap mounted USB charging device. It does all the stuff needed to safely direct charge a phone while powering lights.
Old 10-26-20, 06:23 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Seriously? You would intentionally destroy the contemplative peace of other trail users by this pathological attempt to draw attention to yourself? Life does not need a sound track, mate.
Old 10-26-20, 06:33 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Bikes: Omnium Cargo Ti with Rohloff, Bullitt Milk Plus, Dahon Smooth Hound

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 199 Posts
Oh, great - a bicycle version of the loud-pipes-saves-lives brigade

Edited to add:
Buy a bell - either a manual for various shared paths and in traffic, and/or a bear bell that rings constantly. I prefer a spurcycle manual one myself to ring when it is needed. It's clear and loud (and bright in tone), making it more obvious to other people. It also rings for a long time, so it is easier for people to hear where it comes from after they notice it.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-26-20 at 06:41 AM.
Old 10-26-20, 06:44 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

The dynamo/battery combination already exists. You can buy them ready-made if you're interesting in charging your phone in addition to running lights.

Heated gear takes a whole lot more power than 3-5 watts. And you're on a bicycle. Dress for the weather and push harder if you're cold. It's not like a motorcycle where you sit still and get really cold travelling at 40-80 mph. Heated gear on a bicycle is completely unnecessary. Also keep in mind that 3-5 watts is the very maximum the dynamo hub can put out. You will most often put out much, much less.

Last edited by CargoDane; 10-26-20 at 06:48 AM.
Old 10-26-20, 06:50 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
The dynamo/battery combination already exists. You can buy them ready-made if you're interesting in charging your phone in addition to running lights.

Heated gear takes a whole lot more power than 3-5 watts. And you're on a bicycle. Dress for the weather and push harder if you're cold. It's not like a motorcycle where you sit still and get really cold. Heated gear on a bicycle is completely unnecessary.
If you have an ebike you might have enough extra juice to heat your gloves.

Tons of discussion of the dynamo/battery topic in the touring forum.
Likes For skookum:
Old 10-26-20, 06:53 AM
Trevtassie

Bikes: A steel framed 26" off road tourer from a manufacturer who thinks they are cool. Giant Anthem. Trek 720 Multiroad pub bike. 10 kids bikes all under 20". Assorted waifs and unfinished projects.

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1188 Post(s)
Liked 1,154 Times in 640 Posts
The absolute most you can get out of a dynamo hub is 10W, and that is with a bunch of electronics incorporated in something like a Forumslader dynamo to USB charger. It'll change phones and such like, definitely not run anything in the boom box category other than something like a bluetooth speaker like a UE Boom. It might run a set of heated gloves, but only if you rode fast constantly, otherwise you'd just be sucking charge out of the storage battery..
Likes For Trevtassie:
Old 10-26-20, 06:53 AM
CargoDane
Not a newbie to cycling

Originally Posted by skookum
If you have an ebike you might have enough extra juice to heat your gloves.

Tons of discussion of the dynamo/battery topic in the touring forum.
That's very true. But the OP was talking about adding a dynamo hub to his bike to add power, so I doubt he has an ebike. I mean, what would be the point of adding a dynamo hub to an ebike, lol.
Old 10-26-20, 08:02 AM
skookum
cyclotourist

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 205 Times in 130 Posts
Originally Posted by CargoDane
That's very true. But the OP was talking about adding a dynamo hub to his bike to add power, so I doubt he has an ebike. I mean, what would be the point of adding a dynamo hub to an ebike, lol.
The OP is trolling, just look at all the other stupid threads he started.

I agree adding a dynohub to an ebike is redundant, but there is a how-to video from Shutter Precision that shows exactly that.

Maybe if somebody was primarily interested in running a boom box or heated gloves, that would be a valid, but somewhat unusual, reason for getting an ebike.
Likes For skookum:
Old 10-26-20, 08:22 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Or you could type three words into google search...

hub dynamo charger
Likes For subgrade:
Old 10-26-20, 09:34 AM
Milton Keynes

Bikes: Trek 1100 road bike, Roadmaster gravel/commuter/beater mountain bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 2281 Post(s)
Liked 1,710 Times in 936 Posts
Likes For Milton Keynes:
Old 10-26-20, 10:11 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2567 Post(s)
Liked 5,599 Times in 2,906 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Or you could type three words into google search...

hub dynamo charger
you would be 100% if I had ever encountered the phrase before. Please don’t assume everyone has your level of knowledge but thanks for the link. Now I know. Much appreciated

Old 10-26-20, 10:21 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3654 Post(s)
Liked 5,392 Times in 2,737 Posts
Originally Posted by skookum
The OP is trolling, just look at all the other stupid threads he started.
Many similar threads between pervtec and arsbob....

Last edited by shelbyfv; 10-26-20 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-26-20, 11:11 AM
royphotog

Bikes: 1979 Centurion Omega, 95(?) Rocky Mountain Sherpa

Quoted: 50 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 28 Posts
You can make the safety argument, now the entertainment argument is a little bit harder, especially with the disco.
Old 10-26-20, 05:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,957 Times in 2,645 Posts
I do like dynamos I have two set up at the moment and a third just waiting for me to get the wheel built and wire the thing up which I have been slacking on. I think anyone who isn't racing and who might ride at night or is concerned about safety should get one. Having lighting front and rear that is powered by your front wheel moving is pretty awesome and if you want to charge up your phone you can get lights or separate chargers for that as well.

I do sometimes ride with my little boombotix speaker but I am not blasting it especially where I have it pointed up at my face and if I am planning on riding on MUPs or things like that I generally don't bring it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.