Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

shifting issue

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

shifting issue

Old 11-25-20, 07:56 PM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
shifting issue

so i picked a new bike the other day...everything is working well except one thing. I have an mechanical 11 speed, when im in the 11 cog occasionally the chain skips like it maybe trying to shift gears.the indexing seems to be very crisp and precise so i dont think that is the issue but what do i know....any ideas? lol please dont tell me to take it back to the shop, im sure this is a very easy fix and its more of a hassle to go back there!😂
Old 11-25-20, 11:52 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
Originally Posted by Billy1111
so i picked a new bike the other day...everything is working well except one thing. I have an mechanical 11 speed, when im in the 11 cog occasionally the chain skips like it maybe trying to shift gears.the indexing seems to be very crisp and precise so i dont think that is the issue but what do i know....any ideas? lol please dont tell me to take it back to the shop, im sure this is a very easy fix and its more of a hassle to go back there!😂
sounds like the chain is trying to pull itself up onto the next largest sprocket, ie, your RD cable tension is too high. I would try screwing the RD barrel adjuster in (clockwise) a half turn and take it for a spin. This adjustment shortens the effective length of the RD cable housing, thereby reducing cable tension. If you have a stand, best thing to do is to put the RD through it’s paces on the stand. The half-turn adjustment will potentially affect shifting on all the gears. If you find that shifting to larger sprockets becomes a little hesitant across the board, then back the barrel adjuster out (counter clockwise) 1/4 turn and try again. Adjusting shifting is a compromise - you adjust until you get the best result across the whole range. If your shifting is currently perfect except for this occasional issue with the 11t only, another possibility is that your RD high limit screw is in too far, and it’s not allowing the chain to sit squarely on the 11t sprocket, the result being that the chain is half heartedly trying to climb up onto the next largest sprocket. Back out the high limit screw 1/4 turn and see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited by Litespud; 11-25-20 at 11:59 PM.
Old 11-26-20, 12:01 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
What bike is it? If you don't want to go back to the shop where you bought it, at least tell people what you are dealing with
Likes For alcjphil:
Old 11-26-20, 12:43 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
sounds like the chain is trying to pull itself up onto the next largest sprocket, ie, your RD cable tension is too high. I would try screwing the RD barrel adjuster in (clockwise) a half turn and take it for a spin. This adjustment shortens the effective length of the RD cable housing, thereby reducing cable tension. If you have a stand, best thing to do is to put the RD through it’s paces on the stand. The half-turn adjustment will potentially affect shifting on all the gears. If you find that shifting to larger sprockets becomes a little hesitant across the board, then back the barrel adjuster out (counter clockwise) 1/4 turn and try again. Adjusting shifting is a compromise - you adjust until you get the best result across the whole range. If your shifting is currently perfect except for this occasional issue with the 11t only, another possibility is that your RD high limit screw is in too far, and it’s not allowing the chain to sit squarely on the 11t sprocket, the result being that the chain is half heartedly trying to climb up onto the next largest sprocket. Back out the high limit screw 1/4 turn and see if that fixes the problem.
If it's only happening on the 11T and the other gears work fine, it's the limit screw.
Likes For Amt0571:
Old 11-26-20, 01:09 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2428 Post(s)
Liked 2,883 Times in 1,645 Posts
"picked a new bike" --- "new" as in purchased brand new from a bike shop or as in used but new to you?

If new from a dealer, bring the bike back to have the problem fixed.

If used but new to you, the most likely source of the problem is a worn cassette sprocket or chain or both. (Nine times out of ten, threads that describe a chain skipping on the smallest one or two or three sprockets go on for a number of pages of guesses and end with the OP replacing the cassette or chain or---usually---both and thus fixing the problem.)

Next most likely: misaligned dropout derailleur mounting tab. Any bike store can check the alignment of the dropout. Simple check, takes just a couple of minutes to correct the problem. If the mechanic finds that the alignment is OK and the chain and sprocket(s) do not show excessive wear, other checks can be done to diagnose the problem.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 11-26-20, 01:14 AM
Amt0571

Bikes: Canyon Grand Canyon AL SL 8.0, Triban RC520 Gravel Ltd, Btwin Ultra 520 AF GF, Triban Road 7, Benotto 850

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 402 Post(s)
Liked 215 Times in 137 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
"picked a new bike" --- "new" as in purchased brand new from a bike shop or as in used but new to you?

If used but new to you, the most likely source of the problem is a worn cassette sprocket or chain or both. (Nine times out of ten, threads that describe a chain skipping on the smallest one or two or three sprockets go on for a number of pages of guesses and end with the OP replacing the cassette or chain or---usually---both and thus fixing the problem.)

Next most likely: misaligned dropout derailleur mounting tab. Any bike store can check the alignment of the dropout. Simple check, takes just a couple of minutes to correct the problem. If the mechanic finds that the alignment is OK and the chain and sprocket(s) do not show excessive wear, other checks can be done to diagnose the problem.
Why are you overcomplicating this to such an extent? He only has issues with the 11T. It's probably the limit screw and it's not worth bringing the bike to a shop to slightly loosen a screw.

In any case, it's way easier to check the screw before doing anything else and not confuse the OP. If that fails, then we can start looking for more complex issues.
Old 11-26-20, 06:28 AM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Amt0571
If it's only happening on the 11T and the other gears work fine, it's the limit screw.
yes shifting it very nice ...imma check the limit screw and report back ...thx guys
Old 11-26-20, 07:44 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
yes shifting it very nice ...imma check the limit screw and report back ...thx guys
Make the adjustments a little bit at a time, say 1/4 turn, and see how the shifting responds. Keep track of where you started so you can go back if needed. Do not twirl it a lot as small changes have a big effect.
Old 11-26-20, 10:52 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak

If it only happens in the 11 it's 99% NOT the derailleur hanger. It is nearly for certain the high limit. If it were happening on all cogs it would be cable tension. If it started to get progressively worse going to larger cogs it would most likely be the hanger.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-21-21, 12:15 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hey guys so i have adjusted the high limit and it still was happening, i took the bike back to the place and they said they had adjusted the limits some more, its still happening.....they are telling me to change a basically brand new dura ace chain.....what are your thoughts on this??
Old 01-21-21, 02:30 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
hey guys so i have adjusted the high limit and it still was happening, i took the bike back to the place and they said they had adjusted the limits some more, its still happening.....they are telling me to change a basically brand new dura ace chain.....what are your thoughts on this??
Tell them fixit or refund.
Old 01-21-21, 02:57 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 421 Posts
Might you reveal for us if the bike is brand new.. or new used? And what bike? What components?
Old 01-21-21, 03:05 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,731 Times in 3,261 Posts
While the limit screw might be something to check in this instance, I would say the limit screw is not the likely cause. I'd have turned the barrel screw on the rear DR in a turn or so if it had that range of adjustment left. Or moved the cable in the hold fast a millimeter or two.

There are other reasons you might not get into the 11 cog. How new is this bike? And "the place" is a shop that's business is selling bikes and not a small part of a store that deals in many other things?
Old 01-21-21, 03:05 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
Might you reveal for us if the bike is brand new.. or new used? And what bike? What components?
its a new colnago all dura ace mechanical
Old 01-21-21, 04:22 PM
cxwrench

Ok...even though I said it most likely wasn't the hanger, stand behind the bike and have a look at it. Obviously it should be vertical and not angled in towards the spokes. After that put it in a work stand and undo the cable. Pedal it. If it shifts down to the 11 it was a cable tension or cable/housing problem. If it doesn't go down it's probably a limit screw issue. Pull on the cable and make sure the shifter is in the high gear position. Attach the cable and all should be good.
Which D/A is it? 9000? 9100? Rear derailleurs are silly easy to adjust and most problems (if looked at in a logical fashion) are easy to figure out. Don't always try to adjust right away...have a look and try to figure out what's not happening and why. Never be shy about going back to step 1 and redoing everything.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 01-21-21, 04:27 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Gonna be a stupid one but pull the wheel and check the lock ring. There are 12sp lock rings and if some dope put one on there it will sit just at the bottom of each valley but in the process will keep the chain from properly seating and will feel like its trying to shift but really its skipping. Shifting will feel perfect in the stand, only with decent leg pressure will it shop up.
If it isn't that then the shop needs to deal with it.
Old 01-21-21, 08:13 PM
Billy1111

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Ok...even though I said it most likely wasn't the hanger, stand behind the bike and have a look at it. Obviously it should be vertical and not angled in towards the spokes. After that put it in a work stand and undo the cable. Pedal it. If it shifts down to the 11 it was a cable tension or cable/housing problem. If it doesn't go down it's probably a limit screw issue. Pull on the cable and make sure the shifter is in the high gear position. Attach the cable and all should be good.
Which D/A is it? 9000? 9100? Rear derailleurs are silly easy to adjust and most problems (if looked at in a logical fashion) are easy to figure out. Don't always try to adjust right away...have a look and try to figure out what's not happening and why. Never be shy about going back to step 1 and redoing everything.

9100, it goes into the 11 just skips once and while under load (never leaves the 11 completely)
Old 01-21-21, 09:45 PM
cxwrench

9100, it goes into the 11 just skips once and while under load (never leaves the 11 completely)
Ok...it's one of the following:
Limit screw.
Chain problem.
Lockring problem (highly unlikely on a new bike)
The only other thing I can think of is that the 11 cog isn't positioned on the splines correctly but that would be crazy obvious.