Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

The Newest and Most Improved Hot or Not

Old 12-28-20, 02:32 PM
gofastdontcrash
#gofastdontcrash

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL7 Sagan, S-Works Venge, Specialized Stumjumper Pro Carbon, Beach Cruiser, NS Zircus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
First off, its a flat bar. Have some pride and get a damn drop bar on there.
Secondly, 2" tires with tread?!?! This is the road hot or not- 32mm slicks or dont even try.
Third, yeah of course a different saddle is needed. You should have bought a Meld custom carbon saddle weeks ago. Not sure how easily one creates a Meld saddle around a diaper, but it needs to be done.
All valid points!

Once I get the little man comfortable with the flat bar, will throw some drops on there... maybe some Aerofly II's? The tires are already on order (he only rides this thing on the road). The saddle is tricky... I'm worried about the saddle fit will change with his diaper size going up month after month.
Old 12-28-20, 02:48 PM
gofastdontcrash
#gofastdontcrash

Bikes: S-Works Tarmac SL7 Sagan, S-Works Venge, Specialized Stumjumper Pro Carbon, Beach Cruiser, NS Zircus

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 7 Posts
New (to me) Venge

Likes For gofastdontcrash:
Old 12-28-20, 02:53 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10944 Post(s)
Liked 7,469 Times in 4,179 Posts
Originally Posted by gofastdontcrash
All valid points!

Once I get the little man comfortable with the flat bar, will throw some drops on there... maybe some Aerofly II's? The tires are already on order (he only rides this thing on the road). The saddle is tricky... I'm worried about the saddle fit will change with his diaper size going up month after month.
I blame Specialized for not addressing the diaper issue before release. They need to introduce a saddle as you grow program. Exchange one out for the next to ensure proper fit.
Innovate or Die, Specialized!
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 12-28-20, 02:56 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11386 Post(s)
Liked 4,711 Times in 2,747 Posts
Originally Posted by gofastdontcrash
New (to me) Venge

Yeah man. Of course, I like black bikes.
Old 12-28-20, 02:59 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Eric F

EDIT: Pic replaced with un-filtered version WhyFi
I like the stem, I think black tape really is the hot ticket. The red bike down below screams red, this one doesn't need to scream blue. I like the fade.
Old 12-28-20, 03:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4914 Post(s)
Liked 8,016 Times in 3,792 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I like the stem, I think black tape really is the hot ticket. The red bike down below screams red, this one doesn't need to scream blue. I like the fade.
A black stem/handlebar is on the way (the current one isn't quite the right fit for me), and black cables will be installed at the same time. Not sure why, exactly, but I dislike black bar tape.
Old 12-28-20, 03:04 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by zatopek
Seypat,
It’s a Storck. Of course it’s hot! Here’s mine.

Hot. An out front mount would be more pleasing on that bike.
Old 12-28-20, 04:10 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by Falcon900EX

Hot, simply because it looks classy.
Old 12-28-20, 04:12 PM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by downtube42
My COVID build brevet bike. The ultimate goal for this bike is PBP 2023. HOT was not a consideration, but I'm pleased with the aesthetics. Just a couple things I'd change.

Still tweaking fit.

So much black these days.

France in 2023

Admittedly the name was a draw.

Fenders are functional, as is the buddy flap. But they don't have to be ugly afterthoughts.

Lighting is part of the build.
Not the typical hot or not candidate, and for that, you get a hot.

I can't imagine riding it 1200k. I hope you get it done in 2023!
Old 12-28-20, 04:33 PM
Falcon900EX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 5 Posts
My COVID build brevet bike. The ultimate goal for this bike is PBP 2023. HOT was not a consideration, but I'm pleased with the aesthetics. Just a couple things I'd change.

Still tweaking fit.

France in 2023

Fenders are functional, as is the buddy flap. But they don't have to be ugly afterthoughts.

Smoking hot!! Did you cross shifter cables under the downtube? Cable routing looks super clean!!
Old 12-28-20, 04:52 PM
robbyville

Bikes: Speedvagen Steel

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked 248 Times in 156 Posts
A tale of two steels

The Speedvagen has been in this thread a few times already and although vintage don’t generally feel the love when it comes to hot or not I still felt like I should post.

The frame and fork were bought back in ‘92 or so by me and new. Used a mush mash of parts for years then sent to a friend who had it for the last 15 years. I got it back and have built it with a Campy Chorus 8 speed that is in amazing condition. Coupled with my extra set of Industry Nine wheels set tubeless (of course). The bike rides incredibly well albeit must be in the 21lb range, maybe a bit lighter. Will be a fun change every now and again from the SV!

Likes For robbyville:
Old 12-28-20, 04:58 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Quoted: 890 Post(s)
Liked 2,047 Times in 1,072 Posts
Originally Posted by Falcon900EX
Smoking hot!! Did you cross shifter cables under the downtube? Cable routing looks super clean!!
You know I did

Thanks.
Old 12-28-20, 06:09 PM
Falcon900EX

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fox Farm
Although the chocolate color saddle and bar tape is nice, it is introducing a 4th color which makes things busy. If both were black, the red accents would really pop out. Now they are fighting with the other colors. Just my opinion on what is a very nice looking bike
Thanks! Seems to be consensus on the black bar tape.
Old 12-28-20, 06:32 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Originally Posted by LAJ
Not the typical hot or not candidate, and for that, you get a hot.

I can't imagine riding it 1200k. I hope you get it done in 2023!
Thanks!

I've done five 1200k brevets and one 1500, but all on a recumbent. This is another level of challenge. I'm good up to 200k at this point.
Old 12-29-20, 07:00 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3240 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts

Still tweaking fit.

France in 2023

I had to take another look at this one. It should be a sticky at the top of the page on how you put a build together. The perfect balance between the main color and the contrasting white, black and silver. The lights are awesome. They're the right ones for this build. The overall look is definitely a head turner.

Last edited by seypat; 12-29-20 at 07:03 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 08:51 AM
LAJ
So it is

Originally Posted by seypat
I had to take another look at this one. It should be a sticky at the top of the page on how you put a build together. The perfect balance between the main color and the contrasting white, black and silver. The lights are awesome. They're the right ones for this build. The overall look is definitely a head turner.
I agree with this.

Thanks!

I've done five 1200k brevets and one 1500, but all on a recumbent. This is another level of challenge. I'm good up to 200k at this point.
Plus, you do get to ride with the Seattle International Randonneurs, simply because of the mud flap. Because it's a mud flap, not because of the SIR on it. If I showed up to one their rides on my Rando bike, they wouldn't let me hang out with them.
Old 12-29-20, 09:54 AM
downtube42

Originally Posted by seypat
Wow, thanks.

I still struggle with the black/silver balance. For example, I wish I'd gone with:
- Silver headset. I bought the headset right after the frame, to get the build going. I didn't have the color scheme figured out yet.
- Silver bars. Mostly covered by tape but silver stem and silver bars with black tape is a classic look. Funny enough, I had no intention of building a bike, but I bought these from a guy who'd done a flatbar conversion. So then I started looking at frames and here we are.

I'd like to see how it would look with:
- Silver Rims. As-is, they blend with the tires, which is okay. Maybe if/when I build a 650b wheelset.
- Silver Brake calipers. Again, I'd like to see how it looks.

I think all of that would be too much.

Finally, this one I would definitely have preferred, but I wanted fenders to be easily removable:
- Tail light: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting...d-red/?geoc=US
Old 12-29-20, 10:09 AM
downtube42

Originally Posted by LAJ
I agree with this.

Plus, you do get to ride with the Seattle International Randonneurs, simply because of the mud flap. Because it's a mud flap, not because of the SIR on it. If I showed up to one their rides on my Rando bike, they wouldn't let me hang out with them.
Thanks.

SIR is a super welcoming bunch; if wet (it doesn't always rain in Seattle) they'd most likely eye your setup then relegate you to the back. Increased familiarity would lead to increased harassment. I did a 1000k with SIR the fall of 2019, which of course turned into a rain-fest. There were one or two fenderless bikes, out of five. They mostly stayed on the back so nobody had to eat their spray.

I need to get up there and ride with them more.
Old 12-29-20, 10:17 AM
seypat

Wow, thanks.

I still struggle with the black/silver balance. For example, I wish I'd gone with:
- Silver headset. I bought the headset right after the frame, to get the build going. I didn't have the color scheme figured out yet.
- Silver bars. Mostly covered by tape but silver stem and silver bars with black tape is a classic look. Funny enough, I had no intention of building a bike, but I bought these from a guy who'd done a flatbar conversion. So then I started looking at frames and here we are.

I'd like to see how it would look with:
- Silver Rims. As-is, they blend with the tires, which is okay. Maybe if/when I build a 650b wheelset.
- Silver Brake calipers. Again, I'd like to see how it looks.

I think all of that would be too much.

Finally, this one I would definitely have preferred, but I wanted fenders to be easily removable:
- Tail light: https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/lighting...d-red/?geoc=US
You'd be fine going this route as well. I think the key is that the headset is not a different color than the other colors. What gets me here is that the disc brakes are almost invisible.(as they should be) The background in the photo helps. The vintage looking fluted crank really helps also. It's not a Stronglight or TA, but it's close. It's almost a copy of an early Stronglight 99. I don't know that a modern crank in either color would add to the aesthetic.

https://velobase.com/ViewComponent.as...3-02197cb84b54

Last edited by seypat; 12-29-20 at 10:25 AM.
Old 12-29-20, 12:04 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

1977 Nishiki ONP w/ Suntour Superbe. Bars and stem updated since original post. Frame was originally purchased by my dad, and was his daily commuter for many years, but had just collected dust in my garage since he passed in '94. The recent rebuild was my COVID-lockdown project earlier this year. She rides very sweet - smooth and agile.
Old 12-29-20, 12:34 PM
primov8

Bikes: State Bicycle Co. Undefeated Track SS/FG, Lynskey Helix-Bronze

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 95 Posts
1977 Nishiki ONP w/ Suntour Superbe. Bars and stem updated since original post. Frame was originally purchased by my dad, and was his daily commuter for many years, but had just collected dust in my garage since he passed in '94. The recent rebuild was my COVID-lockdown project earlier this year. She rides very sweet - smooth and agile.
Although I'm not one to ever build up or ride a classic, vintage bike, I have to give credit where credit is due. Definitely a HOT c&v bike.
Likes For primov8:
Old 12-29-20, 12:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by primov8
Although I'm not one to ever build up or ride a classic, vintage bike, I have to give credit where credit is due. Definitely a HOT c&v bike.
Thanks. My Storck is my ride of choice, but I do enjoy taking this old girl out for the occasional roll in the sunshine. The connection with my dad - and our shared passion for cycling - made this a special project for me.
Old 12-29-20, 12:56 PM
seypat

Hot. You can't beat Superbe. It's the pinnacle of C & V drivetrains. Same for the Turbo. I can take one out of the box and do a century on it. No break in needed.
Likes For seypat:
Old 12-29-20, 01:00 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Thanks. My Storck is my ride of choice, but I do enjoy taking this old girl out for the occasional roll in the sunshine. The connection with my dad - and our shared passion for cycling - made this a special project for me.
Eric, I remember your post looking for suggestions on rebuilding this bike. You did a wonderful job. Ride and enjoy it, think of your Dad and be grateful.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 12-29-20, 02:26 PM
Het Volk

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 192 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 78 Posts
My custom JameFrames Cross Bike in Tomato Red. It is quite similar I think to the Marin Nicasio now that I think of it.

Custom built JamesFrames cross bike built to the geometry of my old Redline cross bike I drive into the garage. I wanted tomato 🍅 red as something different and a little nostalgic for the late 1970’s colors. Little did I know it would turn the logo badge almost a pinkish/peach color. Use it as my gravel bike and trainer bike mostly right now, as it is really built like an old school rock hopper.

Last edited by Het Volk; 12-29-20 at 02:54 PM.
Likes For Het Volk:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.