Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

All Things FUJI

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

All Things FUJI

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-21, 10:39 AM
jamesdak 

Bikes: Paletti,Pinarello Monviso,Duell Vienna,Giordana XL Super,Lemond Maillot Juane.& custom,PDG Paramount,Fuji Opus III,Davidson Impulse,Pashley Guv'nor,Evans,Fishlips,Y-Foil,Softride, Tetra Pro, CAAD8 Optimo,

Mentioned: 156 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2323 Post(s)
Liked 4,935 Times in 1,763 Posts
Originally Posted by wschellen

Opus III
Very, very nice! I take it that's the original saddle, housing, bar tape, etc? Mine came all original too except for the saddle and wheels.

I'll share a pic of mine again as I just shot this to show the new tubular setup I just put on it. Original bar tape still under the leather wrap.

Old 02-20-22, 03:34 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
'88 Fuji Ace, sort of

This Fuji Ace frameset was given to me a couple of years ago. By default, it became my experiment bike and has been changed many times since I first built it. I really went in a totally different direction with it recently. I stripped and repainted it with rattle can Rustoleum Gloss Enamel Smoky Grey. I put mustache bars on it with mountain bike brake levers and DA 7700 bar ends. The right shifter I could get to work for a while, then something happens internally that prevents it from operating properly in either friction or indexed. I finally quit messing with it and am now using a 105 8 speed DT lever for the right bar end. It works great in friction.

I like the way the build finished, but I still am not sure about mostly black components, or going with more silver and gum/brown wall tires. The only thing original on this bike are the materials used for the frameset. It is on the heavy side, very comfortable, versatile and fun to ride. I have some decals coming, OLD SCHOOL FUJI, that will be on the top, seat and down tubes.

Pretty sure I like the mostly blacked out better.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-21-22, 08:57 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,052 Posts
Originally Posted by delbiker1
This Fuji Ace frameset was given to me a couple of years ago. By default, it became my experiment bike and has been changed many times since I first built it. I really went in a totally different direction with it recently. I stripped and repainted it with rattle can Rustoleum Gloss Enamel Smoky Grey. I put mustache bars on it with mountain bike brake levers and DA 7700 bar ends. The right shifter I could get to work for a while, then something happens internally that prevents it from operating properly in either friction or indexed. I finally quit messing with it and am now using a 105 8 speed DT lever for the right bar end. It works great in friction.

I like the way the build finished, but I still am not sure about mostly black components, or going with more silver and gum/brown wall tires. The only thing original on this bike are the materials used for the frameset. It is on the heavy side, very comfortable, versatile and fun to ride. I have some decals coming, OLD SCHOOL FUJI, that will be on the top, seat and down tubes.

Pretty sure I like the mostly blacked out better.
Those ACE frames are very nice. I don't think they made them in '88 however. There was no ACE model in the 1988 lineup. I believe yours is a '89 (unicorn fork). I had a 1990 which came with a semi sloping lugged fork. I built mine up with a mishmash of Shimano (105, Dura Ace, and Ultegra) and Sram (cranks).
It rides very well.

I've posted here before, but what the hell...

Old 02-21-22, 10:42 AM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 852 Post(s)
Liked 1,433 Times in 815 Posts
Rocket-Sauce , thanks for the reply. I have seen the pictures of your Ace, very nice. I believe you are right about mine being an '89. I wanted something different, that is what I came up with, in the end. It is a fine riding frameset, a bit on the heavy side and I don't care. Sometimes I think about how I can lower the weight, but I always get back to leaving that alone as it does not matter. The whole bike has been done with the only concern that I wind up with a decent looking bike that rides well. The reality is that I could have left the frameset with the original finish and just restored it as much a could be done, including fixing some areas of surface rust. It has been both a fun and a frustrating project, the frustration all directed at me.

In the end, I wound up with a bike that is really close to as I envisioned it. I am pretty sure the mostly blacked out components are going to stay. I had not used bar end shifters in close to 35 years. They work well, friction, and just make sense on this particular set up. I sure like them better than the DT levers.
Likes For delbiker1:
Old 02-21-22, 11:48 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Those ACE frames are very nice. I don't think they made them in '88 however. There was no ACE model in the 1988 lineup. I believe yours is a '89 (unicorn fork). I had a 1990 which came with a semi sloping lugged fork. I built mine up with a mishmash of Shimano (105, Dura Ace, and Ultegra) and Sram (cranks).
It rides very well.

I've posted here before, but what the hell...

The Saratoga touring model in the same color and similar decal designs. One of my favorite Fujis, but a bit heavy.
Likes For cycleheimer:
Old 06-17-22, 08:10 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
I didn't have a purple bike...

...so how could I not jump on this beautiful '87 Roubaix? Almost complete 105 6-speed group, which is in fantastic condition. It got fresh consumables all around. After a minor wheel truing, it'll be ready for the road.

Last edited by BFisher; 06-17-22 at 08:14 AM.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 06-17-22, 11:21 AM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by BFisher
...so how could I not jump on this beautiful '87 Roubaix? Almost complete 105 6-speed group, which is in fantastic condition. It got fresh consumables all around. After a minor wheel truing, it'll be ready for the road.

NICE!! Looks like new too.
Old 06-17-22, 11:40 AM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 78 Posts
Nice! Yours has the VALite "Si 45" channeled tubing. Similar in some ways to Miyata's splined tubing and Columbus SLX, except that it is not spiraled.

Old 06-17-22, 01:35 PM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Interesting thing, I noticed the catalog specs SR hubs, but this bike has 105s. I failed to remember that I have the matching 105 headset until after I'd cleaned and repacked the original Hatta. I even have the pedals, but one of the clips is cracked.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 06-17-22, 03:13 PM
casanewt

Bikes: Wow, where to start? A collection of 1980's and early 90's road, touring, and MTBs from the likes of Trek, Schwinn, Cannondale, Fuji, Miyata, Univega, Panasonic, and GT. It has gotten rather out of control.

Interesting thing, I noticed the catalog specs SR hubs, but this bike has 105s. I failed to remember that I have the matching 105 headset until after I'd cleaned and repacked the original Hatta. I even have the pedals, but one of the clips is cracked.
Makes sense that the spec sheet may be incorrect. This was right around the time when Shimano was pretty much demanding manufacturers use their full group if they spec'd their drivetrain.
Old 06-24-22, 06:49 PM
casanewt

Heads up in this region...sad condition though https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...ok_story_share
Old 07-04-22, 05:14 AM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1391 Post(s)
Liked 1,852 Times in 1,066 Posts

nice looking Fuji at a flea market this past weekend
Likes For t2p:
Old 10-06-22, 03:18 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,088 Times in 637 Posts
Originally Posted by scale
Any early 70s The Finest owners out there .....what is your seat post size? Mine has a 26.4 in it but it is tight around the clamp area and im thinking the seatube clamp area where it inserts into the frame has been deformed a bit. I know some of the later ones....were 26.8.
This is specifically a low number K6 serial numbered frameset. Any K6 owners do me a favor and measure your seat post size or check it for me i would appreciate it.
I have what I believe is a 1972 Finest. Seatpost is 26.6.
Old 10-20-22, 09:24 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1441 Post(s)
Liked 1,386 Times in 758 Posts
I just bought (most of) what I think is a '74-ish The Finest. (I haven't actually seen in person it yet. It's at my son's house in Portland.)

Somewhere along the way its 27-inch wheels were swapped out in favor of tubulars (maybe some better hubs as well?). Trying to figure out what I should look for in the way of a crank, I checked the '74 Fuji catalog scan on Velobase. It doesn't list specific vendors or model names for anything though. Any idea what would have been delivered during the mid-70s?

(FWIW, I converted the multiple JPEG files in the Velobase scan into a multi-page PDF: Fuji74.pdf should anyone be interested in that sort of thing.)
Old 10-20-22, 09:58 AM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Originally Posted by smontanaro
I just bought (most of) what I think is a '74-ish The Finest. (I haven't actually seen in person it yet. It's at my son's house in Portland.)

Somewhere along the way its 27-inch wheels were swapped out in favor of tubulars (maybe some better hubs as well?). Trying to figure out what I should look for in the way of a crank, I checked the '74 Fuji catalog scan on Velobase. It doesn't list specific vendors or model names for anything though. Any idea what would have been delivered during the mid-70s?

(FWIW, I converted the multiple JPEG files in the Velobase scan into a multi-page PDF: Fuji74.pdf should anyone be interested in that sort of thing.)
The boom era Finest typically came with a Sugino Mighty crankset. They also came with a tubular wheelset, so those wheels could be OEM. Get the serial number from your son and we'll know the year.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-20-22, 12:47 PM
smontanaro 

Originally Posted by T-Mar
The boom era Finest typically came with a Sugino Mighty crankset. They also came with a tubular wheelset, so those wheels could be OEM. Get the serial number from your son and we'll know the year.
Thanks T-Mar. I might even have a Mighty in the bin. Interesting about the tubular wheels. That '74 catalog says 27-inch rims. Of course, if it's not a '74 I imagine it could be anything.

Chris said the serial number was hard to read, but he suggested "5610593". Looking at the pic he sent, I suspect the second character is "G," but that doesn't line up with the description of the Fuji serial number decoder. It is kind of hard-to-read:

Old 10-20-22, 03:27 PM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by smontanaro
Thanks T-Mar. I might even have a Mighty in the bin. Interesting about the tubular wheels. That '74 catalog says 27-inch rims. Of course, if it's not a '74 I imagine it could be anything.

Chris said the serial number was hard to read, but he suggested "5610593". Looking at the pic he sent, I suspect the second character is "G," but that doesn't line up with the description of the Fuji serial number decoder. It is kind of hard-to-read:

I suspect the letter prefix was poorly struck and it's ?6G10583. That would make July of Showa 46, which is 1971. That makes sense after having a closer look at the frame. First, it has the round track blades used only on the very early Finest models. Second, the front derailleur appears to be a Spirt, which is what was spec'd in 1971. In 1972 it was upgraded to the Compe-V.

As for the wheelset, it was fairly common to describe tubulars as being 27" during the early 1970s bicycle boom. Some even stated 27" on the label. The USA just couldn't get their head wrapped around non-Imperial tyre sizing. If you look at the old Fuji catalogues, it actually says "tubular" for the Finest, while the lower models say "W/O" (wired-on). Or you can look at the valves. The Finest is equipped with Presta and the lower models use Schraeder. High performance 700C wired-on wouldn't hit the markets until 1976, so when you see Presta in earlier catalogues they are almost invariably tubular.

Last edited by T-Mar; 10-20-22 at 03:30 PM.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-20-22, 05:40 PM
smontanaro 

I suspect the letter prefix was poorly struck and it's ?6G10583. That would make July of Showa 46, which is 1971.
Ooh, neat...
Old 10-22-22, 07:05 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
The one in our showroom back then had Sunshine hubs and foam-filled Nisi tubular rims.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 10-23-22, 06:46 AM
T-Mar

Originally Posted by thumpism
The one in our showroom back then had Sunshine hubs and foam-filled Nisi tubular rims.
The Sunshine hubs are correct but I remember the rims being Ukai, not Nisi. The core was filled with a plastic or foam material to increase rigidity. The tubular tyres were Toyo brand, later transitioning to Fuji branding.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 10-23-22, 11:08 AM
smontanaro 

Thanks for the rim/hub updates. Now I'm really interested to get this bike home and check it all out. My son said the seller was the former owner of the Portland Bicycle Emporium. I wonder what other bits he still has stashed away...
Old 10-24-22, 05:14 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
The Sunshine hubs are correct but I remember the rims being Ukai, not Nisi.
Probably correct. It's been a looong time.
Old 10-25-22, 05:35 AM
Triplecrank92

Bikes: '93 Cannondale R500; '88 Centurion Ironman Expert, '97 Cannondale R900, '95 Serotta CSI, '83 Trek 700, '97 Lemond Zurich, '89 Bianchi Giro, '87 Schwinn Prologue, '83 Fuji TSIV + one perturbed wife

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 58 Posts
'83 tsiv

Likes For Triplecrank92:
Old 04-17-23, 02:52 PM
r0ckh0und 

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 222 Times in 104 Posts
78 America

I started a separate thread on this bike to chart any progress I make and for easy reference. Serial #78C50061 Sugino Mighty triple, 700c wheelset, Superbe/Mountech derailleurs. Appears to be mostly original, I suspect the pedals and saddle may be replacements. I'm not 100% sure but I think 77 to 78 may have been when the America model transitioned to a triple crankset and 700c wheels. Pictured as found this morning.

Old 04-17-23, 03:08 PM
casanewt

Originally Posted by r0ckh0und
I started a separate thread on this bike to chart any progress I make and for easy reference. Serial #78C50061 Sugino Mighty triple, 700c wheelset, Superbe/Mountech derailleurs. Appears to be mostly original, I suspect the pedals and saddle may be replacements. I'm not 100% sure but I think 77 to 78 may have been when the America model transitioned to a triple crankset and 700c wheels. Pictured as found this morning.
That Superbe Tech is definitely an upgrade. Fantastic bike. looks like 77-80 had the cable clamps on the top tube, then went to cable bosses in 81.

https://classicfuji.posthaven.com/19...-no-10-edition

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.