Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

2020-1 Size 56 & 58 Specialized Roubaix handlebar height

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-21, 04:00 AM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts

I'm trying to find the vertical height from the ground to the top of the handlebar tops of a stock 2020 or 2021 model Specialized Roubaix, with the taller of the two FutureShock spacers installed, in both size 56 and 58. The geometry charts appear to be identical for all models, so any model is ok.

Ideally I could just drop by a local bike shop and measure for myself, but bikes this size where I am (Japan) are practically non-existent, so if someone on BikeForums has a 2020 or 2021 Specialized Roubaix in size 56 or 58 and some time to measure their bike, can I trouble you to measure the handlebar height for me and post the measurement here? Thanks!
Old 01-18-21, 11:05 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6191 Post(s)
Liked 4,807 Times in 3,316 Posts
Charts generally are only showing the measurements to the top of the head tube, maybe headset. So figure the bike will probably come with 30 or so millimeters worth of spacers. But you can call a shop that carries Specialized bikes and I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you over the phone how many spacers that particular model normally comes with when new.
Old 01-18-21, 11:07 AM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,524 Times in 550 Posts
Just curious but why is the height from the ground important?
Likes For Ogsarg:
Old 01-18-21, 11:10 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Yeah, I wondered too but forgot while getting wrapped up in my answer. Does seem odd, but maybe that's how the OP is comparing to another bike they might have.
Old 01-18-21, 11:17 AM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Also curious but wouldn't the handlebar height change depending on the stem +/- angle?
Old 01-18-21, 02:50 PM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
2020 Roubaix Expert (FutureShock 2.0) in 56cm measures 38.5” or 978mm from the top of the bars to the ground with 32mm tires. I have no idea which FutureShock spacer is installed, though.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 01-18-21, 05:54 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by Iride01
Charts generally are only showing the measurements to the top of the head tube, maybe headset.
Yes, I'm aware of that.

So figure the bike will probably come with 30 or so millimeters worth of spacers. But you can call a shop that carries Specialized bikes and I'm sure they'd be happy to tell you over the phone how many spacers that particular model normally comes with when new.
The current Roubaix does not use the standard spacers you're thinking of. Watch the following video from the 8 minute mark, and you'll see there's two spacer options. I think the taller spacer option is fitted as standard, and the other option is used if you want to slam your stem.

Old 01-18-21, 05:54 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by Ogsarg
Yeah, I wondered too but forgot while getting wrapped up in my answer. Does seem odd, but maybe that's how the OP is comparing to another bike they might have.
Comparing to another bike I have.

Originally Posted by bOsscO
Also curious but wouldn't the handlebar height change depending on the stem +/- angle?
I'm assuming the bike is standard, but you can easily calculate how much of a difference changing the stem would make using the calculator below.

https://yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php
Old 01-18-21, 06:10 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by MattTheHat
2020 Roubaix Expert (FutureShock 2.0) in 56cm measures 38.5” or 978mm from the top of the bars to the ground with 32mm tires. I have no idea which FutureShock spacer is installed, though.
Thanks!! That's exactly what I wanted to know! It's about 5-10mm lower than I expected (i.e. more bar drop than I expected). If you haven't made any changes to your bike, it most likely has the larger of the two spacers installed. I think the spacers are the same for both the FutureShock 1.5 and 2.0. You can check which is which at the 8 minute mark in the following video.

Edit: The FutureShock manual on Specialized's website states that up to 15mm of spacers can be added above the duck-billed spacer (diagram 4 on page 3 - link below). That's a nice surprise, and while I could ride either size with a few adjustments, it makes the 56 a more attractive option than the 58 for me.

https://media.specialized.com/suppor...0000134022.pdf

Last edited by Kabuto; 01-18-21 at 08:16 PM.
Old 01-18-21, 06:11 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuto
Comparing to another bike I have.
I'm assuming the bike is standard, but you can easily calculate how much of a difference changing the stem would make using the calculator below.
Stem Comparison Tool | yojimg.net
Cool. My LBS is a Big-S dealer. They're closed today but if I can I'll stop in tomorrow or Wednesday to see if they have a 56 or 58 Roubaix I can measure.
Old 01-18-21, 06:15 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by bOsscO
Cool. My LBS is a Big-S dealer. They're closed today but if I can I'll stop in tomorrow or Wednesday to see if they have a 56 or 58 Roubaix I can measure.
That would be awesome! Thanks a lot!!
Old 01-19-21, 01:35 AM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
Aside from spacers it will depend on stem length, angle, which way it is flipped. There is also the Specialized "hover bar" which can add some height if required.
Old 01-19-21, 01:49 AM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by Dean V
Aside from spacers it will depend on stem length, angle, which way it is flipped. There is also the Specialized "hover bar" which can add some height if required.
OP here.
I doubt many Roubaix owners know its even possible to add actual spacers to their 2020 or 2021 Roubaix. They're going to have either the short or tall duck-billed spacer only installed (see above).
The measurement with the stock stem is easiest to work with, but its straightforward to calculate any differences a non-stock or flipped stem will make.
I'm pretty sure all 2020 and 2021 Roubaixs come with a Specialized "hover bar" as standard.

Last edited by Kabuto; 01-19-21 at 01:53 AM.
Old 01-20-21, 08:56 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Comparing handlebar height from the ground from one bike to another is not a great way to measure things. BB height, tire size, fork length, HT angle, spacers, and stem length and angle all factor into the height of the bars, and you could very easily have two bikes with bars at the same height from the ground that fit very differently.
Old 01-20-21, 09:06 AM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by topflightpro
Comparing handlebar height from the ground from one bike to another is not a great way to measure things. BB height, tire size, fork length, HT angle, spacers, and stem length and angle all factor into the height of the bars, and you could very easily have two bikes with bars at the same height from the ground that fit very differently.
Yeah I know. But I'm asking about one specific bike (the 2020 or 2021 Roubaix) in its standard form (if any mods have been made please note them) in two specific sizes (56 and 58) with almost identical geometry to the bike I have now (the bike I'm comparing them with). I just want to know if the bar height of a stock Roubaix is going to be the same (or more/or less) than what I've got now.

Really hard to get a straight answer to a simple question on this forum...
Old 01-20-21, 10:35 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Kabuto
Really hard to get a straight answer to a simple question on this forum...
Because your simple answer really makes no sense. Handlebar height to the ground ignores everything else about a bike that can make it fit entirely different.

Also, the question you are asking requires someone that has a 2020-1 Size 56 & 58 Specialized Roubaix to see this thread and be interested enough to answer.
Old 01-20-21, 12:59 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Why not just compare the stack and reach of the frames? If it is identical, or close, to your existing frame, then you should be able to get your bars in about the same place/height.
Old 01-20-21, 01:34 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1067 Post(s)
Liked 259 Times in 153 Posts
I find it to be quite a good way for a quick comparison when you have the bike at hand to measure.
Bar height is really only relevant to saddle height so you can get the saddle/bar drop you want.
So BB height is the only other factor that you mentioned which effects it.
Old 01-20-21, 05:50 PM
Kabuto

Because your simple answer really makes no sense. Handlebar height to the ground ignores everything else about a bike that can make it fit entirely different.
May not make sense to you, but it makes sense to me. I already know the stack, reach and other measurements from the geometry charts.

Also, the question you are asking requires someone that has a 2020-1 Size 56 & 58 Specialized Roubaix to see this thread and be interested enough to answer.
Very observant there! You may have noticed that a poster above with a 2020 size 56 Roubaix DID reply with a measurement. That data point is very helpful (thank you MatTheHat!).

Why not just compare the stack and reach of the frames? If it is identical, or close, to your existing frame, then you should be able to get your bars in about the same place/height.
Already have. That gets you close. I want exact measurements.

Originally Posted by Dean V
I find it to be quite a good way for a quick comparison when you have the bike at hand to measure.
Bar height is really only relevant to saddle height so you can get the saddle/bar drop you want.
So BB height is the only other factor that you mentioned which effects it.
Bingo!!!!!!!! Exactly!!!!!!! How much saddle/bar drop I will get is precisely what I want to know.
I know the saddle to BB distance I require, the angle of the seatpost, BB drop, wheel diameter, tire size etc. so can calculate exactly how high from the ground the top of the saddle will be. But I don't exactly where the handlebar will be, so don't know exactly how much saddle/bar drop I will get. Stack only gives an approximate.
Old 01-20-21, 07:50 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Stack is pretty accurate, not really approximate. The 58 is 25mm taller. So whatever set up you have, if they're the same...there ya go. You now know the bar height of the 56, sooooo...
Old 01-20-21, 08:00 PM
Kabuto

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Stack is pretty accurate, not really approximate. The 58 is 25mm taller. So whatever set up you have, if they're the same...there ya go. You now know the bar height of the 56, sooooo...
Yep, thanks. Already calculated that. Another bar height data point or two would be nice to have as confirmation though...