Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Is this a realio, trulio Riggio?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-20, 04:25 AM
Insidious C. 

Bikes: One of everything and three of everything French

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 463 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 213 Posts

The frame in this bay listing looks a little different than the examples of Riggio I find online, but maybe it's just an older model. The decals look kinda fresh. What do you think- is it legit?

Old 12-20-20, 02:01 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Agree that Bianchigirll will know best, but really doubt that a counterfeiter would try to pass off a "fake" with Tretubi tubing decal and a brand (Riggio) that's pretty much unknown (except to the handful of the folks who read this forum!). That said the combo of what appears to be top-of BB and TT cable guides, one set WB bosses and eyelets on the (my guess) GPM dropouts and forkends, nutted brakes but NO shifter bosses? Very odd! But besides that oddity the rest strikes me as legit...but I think this is over-priced, especially when you add the shipping!
Old 12-20-20, 03:24 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,326 Times in 782 Posts
Originally Posted by Insidious C.
The frame in this bay listing looks a little different than the examples of Riggio I find online, but maybe it's just an older model. The decals look kinda fresh. What do you think- is it legit?
I'd be asking for a photo of the top tube showing the right side. That's a funny looking light reflection just past the first guide. The ad listing shows the tube from the *other* side, it look good there.
Old 12-20-20, 04:18 PM
Insidious C. 

There is already pic of the right side in the listing, but I did ask the seller to add a pic of the lug windowing, which is conspicuously absent among the 11 pics provided.

As noted the combination of frame details is very odd, and there is more oddness. The seat stay top is actually a swage as is visible in 2nd pic in the listing. The fork end joint is, shall we say, simple.

This bike caught my eye because I just acquired a nearly identical frame/fork (four slots in BB shell vs. two). All oddness mentioned is present in both frames. My frame arrived with no decals or other brand-identifying marks, hence my keen interest in the Riggio if that is in fact what it is. Below pic shows the window of my lower head lug. I have seen this window profile before and I think it was in a BF post which of course I cannot now find.

Old 12-21-20, 02:39 AM
Insidious C. 

Following the BF breadcrumbs, I have concluded my frame is a ~1980 Viner "Special Tourist." Either the red one was somebodies near miss ID and a re-sticker or maybe an identical twin under the Riggio brand. To add to the oddity list: Columbus SL main tubes and 27" wheels.
Old 01-21-21, 02:03 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

discovered that member bulgie hath preserved a Riggio brochure within his archive

subject frameset appears to be the model termed Americana

[brochure carries no date]

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 01-21-21, 03:17 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Nice going, Juvela! so it IS both legit and as-advertised by the decal: a Tre-Tubi with SL for 3 mains and Falck for the remaining, and it has a name! They seem to spell Falck without the "c" and could be bought as full bicycle built up with 3 different gruppos.
Old 01-21-21, 05:04 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,336 Times in 2,176 Posts
-----

wrt Falk/Falck tubing -

evidently both exist and transfers to respectively identify them

here is a FALK transfer on a Carabela machine from ACER-MEX dated by its owner as 1974:

-----
Old 01-21-21, 05:34 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

True enough and seems like a common misspelling (or contraction) but the company Founder and 4 generations of offspring who made the stuff spelled it "Falck".
This article has a short history and 6 examples of tubing decals with the "c":
ITALIAN CYCLING JOURNAL: Falck Steel, The Other Italian Steel

"on a Legnano"
Old 01-21-21, 07:08 PM
Insidious C. 

The Americana in the Riggio brochure has a different fork crown than the ebay bike (and my bike). I think it is just due to a different model year and parallels the Viners. It's interesting how many SL tretubi models Riggio offered. The Americana and Special Tourist are probably one and the same. Viner used different shaped lug windows on each model. I asked the seller to add a pic of the window and it is a match for my bike and the Special Tourist in the Viner catalog. Notice the Riggio catalog says double slotted BB shell, which is typical of a Viner too. As luck would have it, my bike has four slots in the shell.