Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Cycling on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-21, 02:13 AM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
I very rarely watch bike racing. It's not zero but I'd be surprised if I average more than a few days of watching racing a year.
Old 01-24-21, 10:50 AM
one4smoke

Bikes: 2020 Specialized Roubaix Comp SC - 2016 Specialized Roubaix SL4 - 2015 Giant Roam 2 Disc

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 639 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 224 Posts
Don't race, but I watch. Not boring to me at all. Like the scenery and photography of the telecasts as well. The strategies of the racers and teams are also very intriguing.
Likes For one4smoke:
Old 01-24-21, 11:03 AM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,969 Times in 1,918 Posts
Indoors; Aat times, I'll watch TV while cycling. When cycling outside, & should an event occur, I'll watch others compete while I ride from afar.

Watching tour de riding just hasn't done much for me. If I can time TV to cycling just right for a hyped up UFC "show", then the miles are racking up while those being televised are wracked up.
Old 01-24-21, 01:23 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Several years ago I hired my grandson to record all the stages of the TdF for me. I did not have a chance to look at the videos after we got home from a long bike tour. However, I did manage to tear a retina in my left eye. After the surgery to repair it, the surgeon put a nitrogen bubble in my eye to press the retina to the back of my eye during healing. The catch was I had to keep my head down several hours a day, and sleep on my stomach.

The cure was to place my laptop on the floor in the kneehole of my desk, insert a DVD into the drive, lean my head face down, with a rolled towel to pad my forehead, on the edge of my desk, and watch the Tour. I watched every video my grandson recorded, and sent him a little bonus in appreciation for his effort. I didn't feel a bit guilty about taking that much time watching bike racing.

P.S. I have not had a TV for 30 years, so I hope watching the races on my computer counts.

Last edited by Doug64; 01-24-21 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-24-21, 11:45 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Quoted: 2581 Post(s)
Liked 5,637 Times in 2,921 Posts
Have watched TdF for decades. The scenery, villages and mountains are gorgeous and remind us of our trips. Really enjoy the breakaways which succeed and the mtn stages.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 01-25-21, 04:17 AM
Herzlos

Bikes: Way too many

Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 606 Times in 363 Posts
The only sports I watch on TV are snooker and Worlds Strongest Man, because I can't do either of them and they are quite fascinating.
Other sports I'd rather play (badly) than watch.
Old 01-25-21, 08:08 AM
redcon1

Bikes: Focus Arriba, Specialized Roubaix Expert, Bianchi Impulso Allroad

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 53 Posts
Originally Posted by bikehoco
I’m curious what the percentage of people here watch cycling on tv?

People ride for all sorts of reasons (competition, exercise, entertainment, etc). I’ve been riding for decades but it never led to watching it on tv.

I suspect the same same group of people who dress up like pros to go ride are the same ones who watch.
I love to watch bicycle racing, especially the one-day classics and the grand tours. I cycle for fitness and fun, and have never raced except against my own PRs.. but I love to see the pros at the top echelon of our sport.
I would much rather watch a Grand Tour stage than an NFL, NBA, or MLB game.

IMO, If you cycle and can't appreciate professional cycling, then you aren't riding for Sport (performance & improvement), but rather for Transportation or just Enjoyment (and you might wear basketball shorts while doing so ). And there is nothing wrong with that.
OTOH, If you can appreciate professional cycling, it makes sense to follow it on via televised events, the internet, etc.
Old 01-25-21, 09:01 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
FYI...NBC, which I believe is the major outlet for bicycling races here in USA on their NBC Sports Network (NBCSN), announced this weekend they are shutting down NBCSN at the end of 2021. Some of the sports events will go to USA network, but no mention was made of bicycling races in articles I read (which were mostly auto racing related articles). My guess is a lot of the bicycle racing coverage with go to the NBC Gold "Cycling Pass" pay streaming. TDF will probably still find some kind of OTA coverage though.
Old 01-25-21, 10:18 AM
OnTheTarmac

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by wolfchild
A lot of cyclists do " imaginary races"...Chasing down random strangers, passing them and then claiming victory for winning a race.
Is there any other way to ride a bike? Bonus points if they are dressed like they're on the Tour but cruising <15mph.
Likes For OnTheTarmac:
Old 01-25-21, 10:49 AM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
It's fun to see a Pro race live, then go home and re-watch the national broadcast and try to find myself. There I am (with the sunglasses on top)!!! (Obvious Hint: It's a lot easier to find yourself if you're at the Finish Line, standing across from Bob Roll)
Likes For Riveting:
Old 01-25-21, 12:03 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
For the past 20+ years, I have spent every July, except 2020, engulfed in the traveling spectacle that is the Tour de France. I watch other events throughout spring and summer but the TdF is my favorite. We cut the cord this year so I bought the NBC Sports Cycling Pass and watched EVERYTING!! It was my first time watching the World Championships and the Vuelta. I became entranced with the scenery from Spain and would like to visit some day. I was planning a major trip to the Alps of France to ride all the major climbs of the TdF, but after watching the Vuelta, I've been thinking about hitting the Pyranese instead.
Old 01-25-21, 12:09 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Riveting
It's fun to see a Pro race live, then go home and re-watch the national broadcast and try to find myself. There I am (with the sunglasses on top)!!! (Obvious Hint: It's a lot easier to find yourself if you're at the Finish Line, standing across from Bob Roll)
It was a sad day that they announced the end of the Tour of California, which always included a stage that finished at the Capitol, just up the street from my office.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-25-21, 12:12 PM
Snotrub

Bikes: 2012 Cannondale Carbon Flash 2; 2017 Cannondale CAADX 105; 2021 Trek Domane SL6; 2021 Trek Top Fuel 9.7

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
It was a sad day that they announced the end of the Tour of California, which always included a stage that finished at the Capitol, just up the street from my office.
I liked the Tour of California and was bummed it was cancelled. I also like the US Pro Challenge in Colorado. My riding buddies and I would make an annual trip to CO to watch a few stages.
Likes For Snotrub:
Old 01-25-21, 12:22 PM
Litho dbh
El Rayo X

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 15 Posts
I'm not a competitive rider, never much paid attention to cycle races. But while researching a new commuter bike on youtube. I was directed to other videos that were cycle racing. One of them was Stars and Watercarriers. Pretty interesting. Then I was exposed to the Lanterne Rouge channel. He's racing enthusiast. He'll post short videos with his commentary on particularly interesting stages of important races. His knowledge and enthusiasm is contagious. 2 big thumbs up. I'm now a bike racing fan. If there's superior commentary.
Likes For Litho dbh:
Old 01-25-21, 12:35 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

One of the great things about having a world-level tour in your own back yard was to see the pros on your own training routes, and to hear the commentary from Paul and Bobke Roll. There's a section of the local Tuesday Night River Ride that every local racer knows has a wicked crosswind and sketchy pavement. It's a levee road, which means that there's no opportunity to echelon, and the strong riders will go to the gutter to drill it and try to shatter the field. There's a water tower that the NorCal Ferrari Club painted its logo on, so everybody knows it as Ferrari Tower. And everybody who's ever done the Tuesday Night ride knows how critical it is to hang with the group till Ferrari Tower when the road goes into some sheltering trees. A real thrill to see that from the helicopter.
Likes For caloso:
Old 01-25-21, 12:44 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18413 Post(s)
Liked 15,536 Times in 7,328 Posts
One of the great things about having a world-level tour in your own back yard was to see the pros on your own training routes,
As mentioned above in post #21, I got to ride "with" 7-11 and Coors Lite one Saturday before the US pro road racing championship, which was held in my home town of Philadelphia for many years. We rode on roads I routinely used.

Many years later I was fixing a mechanical along side an MUP that I often used when Armstrong and the rest of the Motorola squad came cam cruising by. I was made at my LBS because the mechainical was caused by it failing to tighten a part sufficiently after working on the bike.

Race day itself was always a party.

Last edited by indyfabz; 01-25-21 at 12:48 PM.
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 01-25-21, 12:54 PM
ZHVelo

Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked 230 Times in 161 Posts
I don’t know what the percentage of BF members who watch cycling, but everyone I know who races also watches racing on TV. Same as I’d imagine everyone who plays soccer competitively watches soccer on TV.

If your riding is transportational or for exercise but not competitive, I could see why the sporting aspect of bike racing wouldn’t appeal.
I have seen some documentaries about footballers and some of them watch every ****ty game they can find. Absolutely beyond me. I could understand your own league, but these are top division players watching some random games in the third division or some other country at a far lower level.
Old 01-25-21, 12:58 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
I love to watch the Tour

would watch other races if I could find them on directv

never dress up to ride, just regular clothes
Likes For Flip Flop Rider:
Old 01-25-21, 01:28 PM
caloso

Originally Posted by ZHVelo
I have seen some documentaries about footballers and some of them watch every ****ty game they can find. Absolutely beyond me. I could understand your own league, but these are top division players watching some random games in the third division or some other country at a far lower level.
I dunno. Maybe they just love football. Crazy, huh?
Old 01-25-21, 02:52 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
These are some "crazy footballers" . It was a great crowd in France during the 2018 World Cup. I actually got into it, as did my wife and daughters. We spent two months riding in Europe and tried to catch as many games as we could. We were rooting for France. I spent about an hour with these folks, photographing the festivities.

Last edited by Doug64; 01-25-21 at 03:14 PM.
Likes For Doug64: