Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Ribble Endurance SLR vs Specialized Tarmac SL7 Pro

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-21, 07:14 PM
Rideaddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Appreciate the experience from the cycling community. So here is my question/dilemma (if you will).

I currently ride an Emonda SL6 2015, rim brakes, ultegra group set and Zipp carbon wheels. I have no complaints, love the bike, however you know when you get that itch especially with all the updates that have occurred in the last 6 years and I wanted to take a leap and upgrade to a newer bike

I am looking for Carbon, lightweight, the newer hybrid road w aero features, disk brakes and a Di2 groupset (not sure if SRAM Force is better but from I read the Di2 is better and more reliable). My original goal after doing a lot of searching was the Specialized Tarmac Sl7 Pro over the Emonda SLR7 disc, however as many of you know getting bikes today is a challenge due to all the backorders. I started looking at the Ribble Endurance SLR bikes and kind of like the ability to customize the bike without stepping up to the S-Works and higher cost bikes and do so for slightly less than the off the shelf unavailable Specialized Tarmac SL7 Pro.

So I have never used or seen a Ribble, however the reviews look pretty good, Because I am in the US I can't test ride.

So my question from more expert and experienced riders out there, do you see the Ribble Endurance SLR as an equal player in the Tarmac SL Pro world or am I taking major steps back?

Thoughts?
Old 01-30-21, 07:34 PM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Bikes: Trek Verve E bike, Felt Doctrine 4 XC, Opus Horizon Apex 1

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 163 Posts
Originally Posted by Rideaddy
Thoughts?
Youre looking into all these useless fancy features which serve zero purpose to benefit you in any way. What sort of frame fit will give you the best comfort and performance? What about crank arm length? Stem length?

You can't test ride, which will make things difficult. I'd suggest trying out some used bikes on the classifieds to get a better idea.

As for the frame itself, you need to figure out what sort of top tube length, stack and reach you need to make the most out of your potential. Once you have a good idea, then you can look into all those features you mentioned.

Youre already riding a good bike . Play around with different stem lengths and saddle positions on what you have now until you find the perfect fit. That will serve as your baseline for the future.
Old 01-30-21, 07:41 PM
Rideaddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great points re thinking more about the specifics re frame type, tube length, stack and reach. Will work on that as well riding some in classified makes sense.
Old 01-30-21, 08:24 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,962 Times in 4,688 Posts
You should ignore Moisture -- as do most of the rest of us. If your present bike fits well, you should definitely NOT fool around with saddle position and stem length and etc. That is the last thing you would want to do.

Regarding the bikes you are considering: As you noted, a Specialized may be difficult to find right now, so you may need to get on a waiting list with a dealer. But it does have the advantage of allowing (potentially, if you can find one) a test ride and dealer support -- both of which you will apparently NOT get with a Ribble. Only you can assess whether that is important to you.

Another online brand, which seems very popular in this forum, is Canyon -- you might want to check it out.

Regarding your "wish list" for a new bike: Di2 is quite nice, and very reliable; disc brakes are also quite nice - especially if you live in a very hilly area. Neither is essential, but they are certainly regarded as improvements by many riders. (And unlike Moisture , I have actually ridden extensively with this equipment.) Just one caveat: you may need to adjust your expectations a bit: a new bike with disc brakes and aero design may actually end up being a bit heavier than your present bike. Only you can decide if that tradeoff is worthwhile.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-30-21, 09:33 PM
Rideaddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Koyote Thanks lol. I did take some points from Moisture, however was more opinionated than expected, all good.

Totally hear you, have seen the aero and disk brakes will add weight, however seems like it makes up for it in power/performance. To your point, I can test ride an SL 7 Expert, which has the same frame as the Pro, just to see if I like the comfort. I do have some local dealers seeing if they can get the SL 7 Pro related to new store openings but think its a long shot.

I like Canyon as well, will spend some more time.

Yes, have to figure out, if not Canyon is it worth taking a shot on bikes I can't test.
Old 01-30-21, 11:33 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10958 Post(s)
Liked 7,487 Times in 4,188 Posts
I use a Ribble Endurance SLR on Zwift, so clearly I have extensive experience with the bike. Its smooth, fast, and corners on a dime.

All seriousness, everything I have read about the Ribble points to it being a really good bike for the money. The ability to customize is really nice and something that will hopefully continue to be adoted for consumer benefit.

Take the geometry of your current bike and compare it to the bikes you are considering. Stack height, reach, bottom bracket drop, chainstay length, and trail are 5 key measurements to compare. Seat tube angle and head tube angle are important but their effects are sort of baked into the first 5 measurement points I mentioned.
Since you like your current bike's geometry for fit and handling, heavily consider whatever will closely replicate it.

Oh, and ignore moist. He is a curious mix of bot, sealion, and parrot.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-31-21, 07:30 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
If I was to purchase a bike from overseas that I obviously couldn't test ride, I would pick Canyon because of their 30 return policy. I am unaware of the policy of Ribble so it might mean nothing.

Second the Ribble calls itself an Endurance bike which typically means more relaxed angles and longer head tube. You may not want something like this without trying it first. There will be a difference between what you are riding now and the Ribble. Third, I always look at re-sale value if I want to to sell the bike. How hard and what kind of return will I get on a Ribble if I live in America?

Because bike shortages are going to be your main problem, you might want to think about bikes like the Willier or Orbea. I have been watching YouTube videos on these bikes and they look very interesting. Though there is nothing wrong with the standard Trek, Giant and Specialized, they are just harder to get.

Di2 is a nice upgrade to what you have now but the SRAM is no slouch. Disc brakes, which I happen to love are almost a given because it is becoming harder and harder to find a new bike with caliper brakes.

The bikes in the price range you are looking will all be winners. One might just be marginally better than the others. Good luck in your search.
Likes For blakcloud:
Old 01-31-21, 08:58 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
Originally Posted by Moisture
Youre looking into all these useless fancy features which serve zero purpose to benefit you in any way. What sort of frame fit will give you the best comfort and performance? What about crank arm length? Stem length?

You can't test ride, which will make things difficult. I'd suggest trying out some used bikes on the classifieds to get a better idea.

As for the frame itself, you need to figure out what sort of top tube length, stack and reach you need to make the most out of your potential. Once you have a good idea, then you can look into all those features you mentioned.

Youre already riding a good bike . Play around with different stem lengths and saddle positions on what you have now until you find the perfect fit. That will serve as your baseline for the future.
How in the world did you take from the OP that there was any need for changing fit? The OP is clearly ready to drop coin. It’s our duty to encourage such expenditures! Pointing to Craigslist is madness! Madness, I say.

To the OP, I’ve wondered the same about the Ribble bike. I wouldn’t mind trying one. I have no experience with SRAM, but I will say DI2 Ultegra is very nice. My Creo has Dura-Ace DI2 and the shifting is absolutely flawless.

Last edited by MattTheHat; 01-31-21 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-31-21, 09:21 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Koyote
You should ignore Moisture -- as do most of the rest of us. If your present bike fits well, you should definitely NOT fool around with saddle position and stem length and etc. That is the last thing you would want to do.

Regarding the bikes you are considering: *insert more irrelevant information here,

Another online brand, which seems very popular in this forum, is Canyon -- you might want to check it out.

Blhablahblahblabbblhablah: Di2 is quite nice, and very reliable; disc brakes are also quite nice - especially if you live in a very hilly area. Neither is essential, but they are certainly regarded as improvements by many riders. (And unlike Moisture , blahblahblahblahblahblah
I am at a loss of weird as to why you wouldn't want to experiment with different stem lengths. It definetely wouldn't hurt to try.. worst case you go back to your original stem. Takes 5 minutes to swap and align everything.

OP could go from having a good fit, to a perfect fit with a simple experiment and have a better idea of what works for him. Suggesting that this isn't a good idea really has to be the most complete and utter nonsense I have ever read.
Old 01-31-21, 09:44 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
I am at a loss of weird as to why you wouldn't want to experiment with different stem lengths. It definetely wouldn't hurt to try.. worst case you go back to your original stem. Takes 5 minutes to swap and align everything.

OP could go from having a good fit, to a perfect fit with a simple experiment and have a better idea of what works for him. Suggesting that this isn't a good idea really has to be the most complete and utter nonsense I have ever read.
I presume the reason is that futzing with the OP's fit makes no sense, is because the OP has not indicated in any manner whatsoever that there's any fit issue at all with his current bike.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 01-31-21, 10:19 AM
Moisture
Drip, Drip.

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
I presume the reason is that futzing with the OP's fit makes no sense, is because the OP has not indicated in any manner whatsoever that there's any fit issue at all with his current bike.
He has also indicated that he knows nothing about fit, meaning he may or may not be riding a bike well suited to his proportions at the moment, and thst he's better off learning more on the topic before looking into other bikes.

Just because you don't see a problem, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

OP, these people advising you to take my opinion with a grain of salt are the same people who taught me to always prioritize fit and play around with stem lengths first before paying any attention to the features you think you need or want from a bike.

These are also the same people who criticize my ideas (which again, are largely gathered from the very same people, on this very same forum) not because I am right, or wrong, and not because they are right, or wrong, but simply because my opinions fail to directly coincide with theirs.

Typically, for a race oriented fit, the saddle should be above the handlebars. But past a certain point, this would hint towards a frame which is too small for you. However, you often must find the right balance, as a significantly larger frame will typically have a top tube and reach too long for your proportions. You can always compensate with a shorter stem, if need be.

Typically speaking, you want your saddle to be about level with your bars. But again, only you know what works best for you.
Old 01-31-21, 10:42 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,034 Times in 1,428 Posts
He has also indicated that he knows nothing about fit, meaning he may or may not be riding a bike well suited to his proportions at the moment,
Where did the OP indicate this?

You may as well have gone off on a tangent and made a recommendation on the proper saddle bag.
Likes For MattTheHat:
Old 01-31-21, 11:03 AM
Koyote

The OP has not expressed any problems with his present bike fit. That is not why the OP is considering a new bike purchase.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-31-21, 11:46 AM
Rideaddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Great advice! Yes, taking the measurements and comparing to make sure the fit is right, again great point. Also glad to hear from someone who has ridden the exact bike, helpful.

I think they have something with the customizations. Always thought paying for a bike then replacing wheels etc could be done more efficient for the money we spend.

Lol I can already see many with experience w Moist lol. All good.
Old 01-31-21, 11:54 AM
Rideaddy

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm taking points from this also, thanks. Getting great feedback! So from what I read in a few articles is the Endurance SLR is their road bike w aero features. They have another model that is endurance. When I take the measurements of my fit on my current bike and compare it should closely resemble however will be alert.

Yes, I've exhausted the Specialized, Trek and Cannondale routes for the bikes I'd want, however I do like what I am seeing with customization and something different, overseas brand and bike, will be first if I pull the trigger. I am going to look into Willier and Orbea, thanks for the recommendations.
Old 01-31-21, 12:15 PM
Koyote

Originally Posted by Rideaddy
Great advice! Yes, taking the measurements and comparing to make sure the fit is right, again great point. Also glad to hear from someone who has ridden the exact bike, helpful.

I think they have something with the customizations. Always thought paying for a bike then replacing wheels etc could be done more efficient for the money we spend.

Lol I can already see many with experience w Moist lol. All good.
In case you haven't seen it, the very first post in this thread helps explain why there is some skepticism about his advice, especially when it comes to bike fitting.

That photo also suggests that he may not have much experience with things like Di2, carbon fiber, and disc brakes.
Likes For Koyote: