Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

which two locks would you buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

which two locks would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-21, 08:24 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
This method appears to be pretty safe. (Not staged. I actually saw this on a ride home from work once)

Likes For metz1295:
Old 02-09-21, 11:06 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
Originally Posted by pdlamb
Bike security is a matter of situational awareness and threat assessment.
We have a winner.

Hate to break it to some of you, but there isn't a thief lurking behind every light pole and pinus contorta.
Old 02-09-21, 11:39 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
there isn't a thief lurking behind every light pole and pinus contorta.
That's would; be a sad way to live.
Old 02-09-21, 12:20 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 1,198 Times in 690 Posts
Bike Lock

My lock is 6'4" in length and called "Steve".
Thread him through the frame and around a post and NOBODY is going to mess with my bike.
I do have a coffee shop option call "Matt", but nowhere near as formidable.

Else, the bike does not get left lying around.

Barry
Old 02-09-21, 01:49 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,814 Times in 1,054 Posts
Originally Posted by Kabuki12
I don’t lock my bike(s) because I don’t have to leave them unattended...I ride my bike for recreation and when I am done I put it away.
A surprising % of bike thefts are from sheds, garages and balconies. Yeah, I lock my bikes @ home.
Likes For tcs:
Old 02-09-21, 02:08 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by tcs
I'd look for a pair of locks that ... used different design lock cores to make picking a royal pain in the %$!*.
Best available information is that lock picking has been and remains a very rare avenue of bike theft. Hopefully, that will remain the case despite those Youtubers promoting this with 'how to' tutorials.
Likes For tcs:
Old 02-09-21, 02:24 PM
ggpepper

Bikes: Traitor & Nashbar

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 36 Posts

Get these guys, take them for a "run-behind" everyday and in nine months they'll protect your bike and you.
Old 02-09-21, 03:46 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I'd go with a G43X and I wouldn't need a second. Oh, wait. Locks? I thought you said Glocks. Never mind.
Old 02-09-21, 05:38 PM
UncleG

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
I had to use two locks on my commuter for many years. It sucked.
But there really isn’t much choice in NYC. Adopted the two lock method after losing multiple bikes to bike thieves.
Might still be doing it if I had gainful employment but I do not. So, I guess that’s like the one plus to being out of work during lockdown.
At one place I worked we were told not bring our bicycles inside the building... if you wanted to have a bicycle after the work day you would put your bicycle inside the building... and there were various places that people would stash their bicycles inside the building and the guards were generally looking the other way...

It seemed rather odd since bicycle space was never an issue. On a good day maybe 8 to 12 would ride.
Old 02-09-21, 08:34 PM
Aroyobob

Bikes: Trek 460, Trek 1420, Schwin High Sierra

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR
Some go around the lock.

I realize this is a stock image of a random bike somewhere but wondering why the owner didn't pass the lock through the rear wheel. Or, since the post is about two locks, one for the rear wheel to frame to immovable object and the other for the front wheel to frame and ideally, to immovable object. If the bike has quick release skewers then removing and bringing the front wheel might be OK for a place that won't allow the full bike inside.
Old 02-09-21, 08:50 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Aroyobob
I realize this is a stock image of a random bike somewhere but wondering why the owner didn't pass the lock through the rear wheel. Or, since the post is about two locks, one for the rear wheel to frame to immovable object and the other for the front wheel to frame and ideally, to immovable object. If the bike has quick release skewers then removing and bringing the front wheel might be OK for a place that won't allow the full bike inside.
If 2 are good then N+1000 will be better

And if they can't steal it they might just destroy it.
Old 02-09-21, 09:42 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Some go around the lock.

The thief left the frame, he could've cut the top tube in seconds with a hacksaw and taken the entire bike. The rear brake cable could be difficult though, but it's only 1 allen wrench apart.
Old 02-10-21, 07:43 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by Reynolds
The thief left the frame, he could've cut the top tube in seconds with a hacksaw and taken the entire bike. The rear brake cable could be difficult though, but it's only 1 allen wrench apart.
If they had a hacksaw they could cut the lock
Old 02-10-21, 08:22 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
The OP fails to give details like: where/what location, or duration (especially if overnight). So, many answers cannot apply.

My commute is onto a large Gov't installation that is quite safe (controlled entry points, guards, patrols, etc.) relative to a normal center of town or city. I still leave (permanently) a heavy chain and key lock at the bike rack outside of my building. It's been there for five years now. In my environment, this is likely overkill. I have seen bikes left unlocked and untouched there during work.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 02-10-21, 08:54 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

I don't know what lock was that, but if it was hardened he'd have a hard time cutting it with a hacksaw.
Old 02-10-21, 09:09 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
Again, it sucks to have to lock your bike up at all. But you gotta do what you gotta do.
If you’re lucky enough, like Phil, to work somewhere it’s pretty safe to leave your bike then you are one lucky son of a gun.
But if you’re like me and prefer commuting to work and pretty much everywhere else in New York City by bicycle, you had better reconcile yourself to locking up your bike. Or be okay with your bike potentially not being there when you get back.
There’s no way in heck an unlocked bike in NYC is still going to be there if you leave it lying around unattended.

Jersey ain’t so great either btw. Someone lifted a bike from me in Kearny NJ, where people insist to me it’s ok to leave your doors and windows unlocked.

Just try to gauge the threat level as accurately as possible and react accordingly.
In this case, OP asked which two locks he should buy so I am assuming he feels he needs that level of protection.
Old 02-10-21, 09:14 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

I don't know what lock was that, but if it was hardened he'd have a hard time cutting it with a hacksaw.
OK... we need more power.

Old 02-10-21, 10:23 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

There’s a YouTube video where Hal from Bicycle Habitat (great guy and mechanic) here in NYC takes an angle grinder to a bike lock. Think it was the same one I got, the Kryptonite NY forgetaboutit or whatever. He cuts right through it, no problem at all. Doesn’t take more’n a few minutes.
Gotta hope, tho, that the presence of passerby will deter that type of move.
But that also depends on where you are. Most places in NYC, most people won’t bat an eyelash.
Think only one person asked him what he was up to as he was trying to cut locks offa bikes on a busy Manhattan street.

Maybe take a look at that video, now I think about it.
Search “Hal Ruzal” on YouTube, if interested.
Old 02-10-21, 12:15 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4342 Post(s)
Liked 3,978 Times in 2,659 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
The OP fails to give details like: where/what location, or duration (especially if overnight). So, many answers cannot apply.

My commute is onto a large Gov't installation that is quite safe (controlled entry points, guards, patrols, etc.) relative to a normal center of town or city. I still leave (permanently) a heavy chain and key lock at the bike rack outside of my building. It's been there for five years now. In my environment, this is likely overkill. I have seen bikes left unlocked and untouched there during work.
I had someone at a military base get their bike stolen. Never assume anything. Granted his was not locked up at all but still guards and controlled entry points and all of that.
Old 02-10-21, 07:15 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Some go around the lock.

I see one huge mistake here - the rear wheel wasn't threaded by the lock inside the wheel rim and it easily could have been. Not saying the bike can't be stripped anyway but at least you would have your wheel(s). This usually happens if the bike is left someplace outside for days on end. And if you are locking at all, you always need two locks if you value your front wheel. Also, the above happens if you leave the bike overnight or some long time. In some places, even short time may be too long but in such a place, you need to find out how other people do it, or not lock bike there at all.

Fancy bikes should never be left unattended, only commuters should ponder how to lock and that means double locking always (both wheels locked to frame and best both lock to a rail if space permits), if you lock at all.
Old 02-10-21, 07:20 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by vane171
I see one huge mistake here - the rear wheel wasn't threaded by the lock inside the wheel rim and it easily could have been. Not saying the bike can't be stripped anyway but at least you would have your wheel(s). This usually happens if the bike is left someplace outside for days on end. And if you are locking at all, you always need two locks if you value your front wheel. Also, the above happens if you leave the bike overnight or some long time. In some places, even short time may be too long but in such a place, you need to find out how other people do it, or not lock bike there at all.

Fancy bikes should never be left unattended, only commuters should ponder how to lock and that means double locking always (both wheels locked to frame and best both lock to a rail if space permits), if you lock at all.
Yes, some people are not very good at using a cable lock correctly.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 02-10-21, 09:01 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6950 Post(s)
Liked 10,958 Times in 4,685 Posts
GlennR is correct. The lock in question could easily be cut with a hacksaw, though it would take a few minutes.

A very large bolt cutter, operated by a relatively strong person, could snap it in a few seconds.

I'm not a bike thief, but I've had cause to do both with some very strong u-bolt locks like the one pictured.
Old 02-10-21, 09:56 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Originally Posted by Koyote
GlennR is correct. The lock in question could easily be cut with a hacksaw, though it would take a few minutes.

A very large bolt cutter, operated by a relatively strong person, could snap it in a few seconds.

I'm not a bike thief, but I've had cause to do both with some very strong u-bolt locks like the one pictured.
Easier yet would be using a long - like 5'- pipe as a lever.
Old 02-10-21, 10:02 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Rage
There’s a YouTube video where Hal from Bicycle Habitat (great guy and mechanic) here in NYC takes an angle grinder to a bike lock. Think it was the same one I got, the Kryptonite NY forgetaboutit or whatever. He cuts right through it, no problem at all. Doesn’t take more’n a few minutes.
Yep, they make it look easy. That said, on those lock cutting videos they typically
1) use a quality high power angle grinder
2) use a quality new blade
3) start with a high capacity, fully charged battery
4) put the lock in a vice at a convenient height and angle

I was intrigued by this 'net sourced image. The caption said the bike was still locked in place when the owner returned. Apparently, the thief's battery pooped out before he completed the second cut!

Old 02-11-21, 06:39 AM
Rage
Space Ghost

I’ve always wanted to give that a try with the angle grinder but don’t have a spare kryptonite U lock to sacrifice.
I do have an old kryptonite chain with disc lock that an old roommate left behind. Lost the keys years ago and could sorta use the chain.
Maybe I’ll take a shot at cutting it off when the snow is gone and I can do it in the yard.
FWIW I think that a good chain and lock is harder to defeat than the U lock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.