Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

How remove brake studs

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

How remove brake studs

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 02:39 PM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
How remove brake studs

I'm modifying my old 96ish Trek 830 XC into a gravel like Geezer Bike. It now has 700 wheels with a 8x cassette and drop bars. I want to remove the brake studs [posts] from the forks and seat stays, but there are no wrench flats on the posts. How do I do it? I hate to scar the posts up with Vice Grips in case I want to use them again. I hope I'm using the correct terminology here. See the attached pnoto.

I don't mind having the brazed on bases.

Old 02-10-21, 03:45 PM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
My guess is that if there are no wrench flats, the entire post is one piece that is brazed on.

The tool to remove them is a torch, but then you need to repaint.
Old 02-10-21, 03:51 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
If they are threaded you can do 2 jam nuts and wrenches on the bolt.
Old 02-10-21, 04:05 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
I would use an angle grinder. Cut as much off with a cutting disk as you feel safe doing without the disk touching anything you want to keep. Then switch to a flap disk and get as close as you safely can to the surface of the fork which should be almost the whole way. A little bit of 80 grit emery tape by hand at the end. Repaint and you won't know the posts were there.
Old 02-10-21, 04:07 PM
guy153

Originally Posted by aggiegrads
My guess is that if there are no wrench flats, the entire post is one piece that is brazed on.

They look like they're actually welded on. So a torch would be no use as the whole fork would melt at the same temperature as the welds.
Likes For guy153:
Old 02-10-21, 04:35 PM
aggiegrads

Quoted: 336 Post(s)
Liked 309 Times in 180 Posts
Originally Posted by guy153
They look like they're actually welded on. So a torch would be no use as the whole fork would melt at the same temperature as the welds.
Yes. Looking closer, you are absolutely right. You can't melt a weld.
Old 02-10-21, 05:15 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
I would just leave them alone. Cut a short piece of tubing to protect the stud. In 2 weeks you'll forget all about them.
Old 02-10-21, 05:30 PM
Blues

Bikes: Some vintage and all projects. Geezer road, road, cruise, some gravel, not much mountain.

Thanks for the responses.

I'll put tubing over the shafts and not worry about them.

Thanks,

Fred
Likes For Blues:
Old 02-10-21, 06:41 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Do you really want them gone permanently and what type of brake are you going to replace them with? Be certain The world is full of bikes that have been permanently altered and then, after it's too late, owner then decides they should have left the (fill in the blank) in place as they really want to go back to the old configuration.
Old 02-10-21, 07:03 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 933 Posts
Not that I'm one for Porteur racks, but the idea of having extra/redundant/unnecessary components does rub me the wrong way. Combine that with the need to always carry more water & or more food or a more complete fix-it kit for long days 30 miles from civilization or cell coverage...Leads me to this: Sunlite brake boss mounted front rack.

I have one. It's small, lightweight, & would fit a small trunk bag or a pair or water bottles secured with a bungie cord. It may not be much, but at least the studs would have a purpose.

Car dependency is a tax.
Likes For base2:
Old 02-10-21, 08:21 PM
Blues

Originally Posted by base2
Not that I'm one for Porteur racks, but the idea of having extra/redundant/unnecessary components does rub me the wrong way. Combine that with the need to always carry more water & or more food or a more complete fix-it kit for long days 30 miles from civilization or cell coverage...Leads me to this: Sunlite brake boss mounted front rack.

I have one. It's small, lightweight, & would fit a small trunk bag or a pair or water bottles secured with a bungie cord. It may not be much, but at least the studs would have a purpose.
Thank you!

This is a great idea makes me start thinking of other uses.
Old 02-10-21, 09:29 PM
JW in AK

Bikes: 2012 Marin Pioneer Trail, 2019 Twin Six Standard Rando

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Blues
I want to remove the brake studs [posts] from the forks and seat stays, but there are no wrench flats on the posts. How do I do it?
Can you post a picture of the posts head-on, from the front of the bike? Your original shot looks like the head might take an allen wrench. My mountain bike takes a 5mm to remove the posts, which look just like yours, with no wrench flats.

Originally Posted by aggiegrads

Are you talking about the non-painted part? If that was welded/brazed in place and not removable, there'd be no way to mount the brakes.
Old 02-11-21, 12:38 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I too am not clear on what you want removed.

The painted parts are unlikely to come off - where else on the bike does that happen? The unpainted section simply needs removing with a hexagon/torx key and then something fitted into the threaded holes to stop them filling with dirt, like short mushroom headed bolts or plastic inserts.
Old 02-11-21, 02:32 AM
guy153

Originally Posted by Geepig
I too am not clear on what you want removed.

The painted parts are unlikely to come off - where else on the bike does that happen? The unpainted section simply needs removing with a hexagon/torx key and then something fitted into the threaded holes to stop them filling with dirt, like short mushroom headed bolts or plastic inserts.
The unpainted bits don't come off either. They're only not painted because you're supposed to put grease on them followed by a brake arm. Everything except the bolt that's already screwed in there is a single casting welded onto the fork and needs to be sawn and then sanded off.
Old 02-11-21, 03:42 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
The unpainted bits don't come off either. They're only not painted because you're supposed to put grease on them followed by a brake arm. Everything except the bolt that's already screwed in there is a single casting welded onto the fork and needs to be sawn and then sanded off.
Oh I see, I never really progressed to those brakes. I just went down and looked at an old frame I had buried away and indeed those studs are fixed.

If they cannot be removed, then maybe the answer is to make them a feature, such as by painting them a cream colour?
Old 02-11-21, 09:00 AM
guy153

Originally Posted by Geepig
Oh I see, I never really progressed to those brakes. I just went down and looked at an old frame I had buried away and indeed those studs are fixed.

If they cannot be removed, then maybe the answer is to make them a feature, such as by painting them a cream colour?
Good idea. I was thinking mount something on them and thought of a custom rack. Apparently reading the rest of the thread these are already a thing and you can actually get them. You could also mount lights on them.
Old 02-11-21, 09:17 AM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Good idea. I was thinking mount something on them and thought of a custom rack. Apparently reading the rest of the thread these are already a thing and you can actually get them. You could also mount lights on them.
I was just going to say that you could cut off the studs and thread the mounts to take threaded bosses later on if needed. A little work and needs to be done accurately so everything is straight but it's another option.
Likes For Crankycrank:
Old 02-11-21, 10:25 AM
Blues

I now think the painted part, I'll call the stud, is one piece and is welded to the fork. The weld puddles can be seen in the attached front view. The 5mm hex head screw that holds on the brake arm is threaded into the stud. The screw was not removed in the previous photo.

If I need some extra work sometime I may cut the studs off and thread them for removable brake studs, but that's way down a list I'll probably never finish. I'm not sure it's really on the list. I do not want to destroy the mounting for the 26" wheels. I may want to go back to them some day.

I like the idea of attaching the fore mentioned rack or fastening lights or reflectors on the studs.

The studs would be a great place for a pair of front reflectors.

Thanks for all the brain storming. It always helps with new ideas.

Fred
Likes For Blues: