Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

which two locks would you buy?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

which two locks would you buy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-21, 09:13 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
I only ever lock up my bike for a few minutes, like a stop at a convenience store or Walgreens to get water and food. For that type of stop, I either leave the bike where I can see it, bring it in to the store, or use a lightweight cable lock.

I don't leave bikes unattended for long periods of time in any public areas. We have prolific bike thieves throughout our metro area.
Old 02-11-21, 10:43 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
tcs' hot tip: use good locking protocol.

Machiavelli's hot tip: lock up next to a nicer bike secured less well.
Old 02-11-21, 11:05 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18404 Post(s)
Liked 15,495 Times in 7,317 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs
tcs' hot tip: use good locking protocol.

Machiavelli's hot tip: lock up next to a nicer bike secured less well.
Several years ago a woman and I locked our bikes next to each other’s at the same time. I used a Kryptonite u lock and thick cable to secure my LHT. She used a cheap chain and padlock to secure her Trek road bike. She went into the market. I went to get a paper. As I was returning to the market I saw a tweeker looking guy speeding the wrong way down the street on her bike, small duffel bag over his shoulder. Hadn’t even been 10 min. More like 5. My bike was untouched.
Old 02-11-21, 11:21 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

And if they can't steal it they might just destroy it.
That's the kind of lock I use, but with a heavier hardened chain. I'd rather have my rear wheel smashed than my whole bike taken off!
Old 02-13-21, 10:30 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1125 Post(s)
Liked 249 Times in 200 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
thanks for the info!
If you want an angle grinder almost proof lock then see this video: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2730139000581573 As you can tell it's a huge lock, not very portable, but for a storage shed it would work great if you have something to lock it to. In the video, it would have been a lot more effective to cut the bike rack, take the bike and lock home and work at it at home.
Old 02-14-21, 02:45 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by rekmeyata
If you want an angle grinder almost proof lock then see this video: https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2730139000581573 As you can tell it's a huge lock, not very portable, but for a storage shed it would work great if you have something to lock it to. In the video, it would have been a lot more effective to cut the bike rack, take the bike and lock home and work at it at home.
I don't much go for the gimmicks and while this one actually can do it's job of being tough to cut with angle grinders, it is so big and goofy it is hard to use except at the house and then what am I locking to that wouldn't be easier to hack off. Granted LPL did make it clear it is tough to get into which is a good thing for a lock.
Old 02-14-21, 08:48 AM
UncleG

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 950 Single-Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jpjuggler
going with the idea that two locks are better than one, even though your locked bike still isn't safe from thieves/angle grinder, but is more of a hassle to steal than the other bikes nearby locked only once...

Which two locks would you buy in order to lock up your bike? Given that the top of the line Kryptonite can still be cut through fairly quickly, I"m thinking in order to save some weight and money to buy midrange Kryptonite or Abus, and then lock the bike twice.

Your thoughts?
Battery powered tools have changed the criminal tactics.
Why breach a door, and a possible alarm, when you can easily saw through the side of a house to gain entry...

The same saws and grinders can cut any practical bike lock.
Old 02-14-21, 08:58 AM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by UncleG
Battery powered tools have changed the criminal tactics...

The same saws and grinders can cut any practical bike lock.
Hence the idea behind the design of the Skunk Lock™ I referenced in post number 10.
Old 02-14-21, 09:10 AM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
Milwaukee M18 lithium battery grinder + Milwaukee cutoff wheel vs. 5/8" rebar (non-hardened). Less than 15 seconds, grinder 1, rebar 0. Cutoff wheels burn and abrade, they will go right through steel too hard for a saw or file. My guess less than a minute if the steel was hardened, prob 30 seconds.
Old 02-14-21, 11:27 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
People are stealing catalytic converters so a bicycle lock is a piece of cake.
Old 02-14-21, 05:21 PM
rekmeyata

Bikes: 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c; 2013 Lynskey Peloton; 1992 Giant Rincon; 1989 Dawes needs parts; 1985 Trek 660; 1985 Fuji Club; 1984 Schwinn Voyager; 1984 Miyata 612; 1977 Raleigh Competition GS

Originally Posted by veganbikes
I don't much go for the gimmicks and while this one actually can do it's job of being tough to cut with angle grinders, it is so big and goofy it is hard to use except at the house and then what am I locking to that wouldn't be easier to hack off. Granted LPL did make it clear it is tough to get into which is a good thing for a lock.
That lock has been around for at least a year, and it's not a gimmick, just extremely impractical to carry around on your bike, actually impractical even at home, where is there a place at home you could lock that thing too? I don't have anything in my house I could shackle that too. I'm kind of surprised the company is still in business because I can't figure out who would buy such a monster of a lock. Like I said, it would be easier to cut whatever the lock is attached to then take the lock and the bike home and cut away at the lock unnoticed.

Speaking of locked bikes being carried away with locks intact, a university I once attended had bike racks for us students to park our bikes and lock them up. Great, right? Well, not so great, a group of 4 guys drove onto the school property in a flatbed pickup truck, they went to one of the racks that were loaded with bikes, I can't remember if they cut the bolts or unbolted the bike rack from the concrete, then they lifted the rack with all the bikes attached and put it on the back of the flatbed and took off. People were wondering about never thought anything of it?! They got away with 18 bikes in one fell swoop. Thank God my bike wasn't on that rack!
Old 02-14-21, 05:53 PM
tcs
Palmer

... it would be easier to cut whatever the lock is attached to then take the lock and the bike home and cut away at the lock unnoticed.
Actually, it would be far, far easier to steal another, less-well secured bike. That's the point.

Speaking of locked bikes being carried away with locks intact, a university I once attended had bike racks for us students to park our bikes and lock them up. Great, right? Well, not so great, a group of 4 guys drove onto the school property in a flatbed pickup truck, they went to one of the racks that were loaded with bikes, I can't remember if they cut the bolts or unbolted the bike rack from the concrete, then they lifted the rack with all the bikes attached and put it on the back of the flatbed and took off. People were wondering about never thought anything of it?! They got away with 18 bikes in one fell swoop.
I've heard variations of that story for 40+ years, with locations indicated all over the world. 18 bikes @ ~25# ea + the weight of a 20+ bike bikerack in mild steel is going to be on the order of 700 pounds - each of the four guys is going to be lifting ~175 pounds up into the back of a flatbed truck with the bikes flopping and snagging all the way. Hmm. Don't suppose your student newspaper covered this story with pictures?
Old 02-14-21, 06:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
That lock has been around for at least a year, and it's not a gimmick, just extremely impractical to carry around on your bike, actually impractical even at home, where is there a place at home you could lock that thing too? I don't have anything in my house I could shackle that too. I'm kind of surprised the company is still in business because I can't figure out who would buy such a monster of a lock. Like I said, it would be easier to cut whatever the lock is attached to then take the lock and the bike home and cut away at the lock unnoticed.

Speaking of locked bikes being carried away with locks intact, a university I once attended had bike racks for us students to park our bikes and lock them up. Great, right? Well, not so great, a group of 4 guys drove onto the school property in a flatbed pickup truck, they went to one of the racks that were loaded with bikes, I can't remember if they cut the bolts or unbolted the bike rack from the concrete, then they lifted the rack with all the bikes attached and put it on the back of the flatbed and took off. People were wondering about never thought anything of it?! They got away with 18 bikes in one fell swoop. Thank God my bike wasn't on that rack!
It is gimmicky. It works for its intended purpose but still gimmicky. It isn't practical, it isn't really useable in most situations, it looks goofy but again it does what it is designed to do. However generally the thing you are locking too is going to be the weakest link in the equation which is not good.

I had a co-worker who was out to lunch with his wife and saw thieves doing the exact same. Thieves will do whatever they can to steal in some cases.
Old 02-14-21, 06:18 PM
tcs
Palmer

Okay, so you're worried that you're being stalked by a bike thief who is planning to break into your locked garage and steal your double-locked Hetchings Curly Magnum Opus with gold-plated lugwork fitted with first-year Nuovo Record components? Add this to your arsenal: https://www.kryptonitelock.com/en/pr...ey/330202.html
Old 02-14-21, 06:30 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
If you bring a bike into the bathroom with you because you don’t want to ride with the extra weight of a cable/lock, please punch yourself in the face right after you read this. Everyone else in your life will be better off for it
Old 02-14-21, 06:32 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by downhillmaster
If you bring a bike into the bathroom with you because you don’t want to ride with the extra weight of a cable/lock, please punch yourself in the face right after you read this. Everyone else in your life will be better off for it
I generally don't carry a lock, but on long rides, 50+ miles, I will.

So i will bring my bike in the bathroom or the supermarket if I do stop. And no one has ever made a comment.
Old 02-15-21, 12:44 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
Tigr blue carbon steel. Almost unpickable and incutable.
Old 02-15-21, 02:08 PM
greeniearts

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Sidebar comment

I used to live in the Woolworth Bldg on Broadway in NYC. They had a very large bike corral in the rear of the building with an exit door to a side street. At the time, I had a Colnago that I loved more than life--no way was I leaving it in the corral (besides, the rear door didn't always close completely, rendering the bikes vulnerable). I became friends with the doorman, and he allowed me two privileges: 1. I was able to walk my bike thru the side door, avoiding the carousel doors, and 2. I was able to take my bike up the elevator and to my apartment. Not sure what the rules are today. [I heard that they are converting apartments to condos, with 7-figure prices for measly footage.]

No locks for me.
Likes For greeniearts:
Old 02-15-21, 02:13 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
I grew up just a couple streets over!
Old 02-15-21, 05:31 PM
greeniearts

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Rage
I grew up just a couple streets over!
Cool! I was there for school. I miss NYC terribly. There is an Indian restaurant around the corner from the Woolworth bldg.--the name escapes me at the moment--but the food is unforgettable.
Likes For greeniearts:
Old 02-15-21, 07:25 PM
Rage
Space Ghost

Bikes: Bridgestone, Fuji, Iro, Jamis, Gary Fisher, GT, Scott, Specialized and more

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 318 Posts
There are actually a couple decent Indian restaurants right behind there. That was the spot for all the cab and livery drivers to eat, or was, anyway, before lockdown. Who knows what the area is gonna be like after this.

Were you there before or after J and R went under? Where ‘re you now? And did you ever have a bike swiped from you when you lived here? Because it was pretty bad as far as bike theft is concerned in lower Manhattan. I once had someone lift a back wheel off one of my bikes as I enjoyed a meal in gee whiz diner on Greenwich lol.

Miss the old NYC terribly, as well. Hiding out all along the Jersey shore, Staten Island and North Jersey atm. Nothing like NYC, but starting to get used to it...
Likes For Rage:
Old 02-15-21, 07:50 PM
rekmeyata

Originally Posted by tcs
Actually, it would be far, far easier to steal another, less-well secured bike. That's the point.

I've heard variations of that story for 40+ years, with locations indicated all over the world. 18 bikes @ ~25# ea + the weight of a 20+ bike bikerack in mild steel is going to be on the order of 700 pounds - each of the four guys is going to be lifting ~175 pounds up into the back of a flatbed truck with the bikes flopping and snagging all the way. Hmm. Don't suppose your student newspaper covered this story with pictures?
It was covered in the Student paper, and the college went and put some sort of bolts in that could not be undone with commonly found tools. I know this happened, I was attending the college when it happened, I read about it in the paper, and because the guy got busted about a 3 months later, and they found over 100 stolen bikes in his barn, he had been selling stolen bikes for years before he got caught. The really weird thing is he only served 5 years in jail, and when he got out he opened a bike shop?!

Last edited by rekmeyata; 02-16-21 at 10:37 AM.
Likes For rekmeyata:
Old 02-16-21, 05:26 AM
BikeLite

Quoted: 381 Post(s)
Liked 145 Times in 93 Posts
u lock and cable lock
Old 02-16-21, 09:39 AM
Retfor

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
For my bike, which is more expensive, I have the kryptonite series 4 10mm integrated chain. Luckily I don't need to leave it in any super high theft areas for very long. If I were, I might pair it with the kryptonite fuhgeddaboutit u lock. Or possibly the one I think someone mentioned above that's grinder resistant. Also, I have a skewer lock on the front wheel and swapped the quick release for a regular bolt on the seat. It's electric, though, so it's no big deal to carry heavy locks in my basket.

My wife's and daughter's bikes (also electric), which aren't as expensive, have the kryptonite keeper 785. Could probably be cut with a good pair of bolt cutters, but so far that hasn't happened, even with my wife locking hers up outside overnight at work. It's a somewhat protected area by the building though, with other bikes in plainer sight. She does usually pair it with a u lock, though, the kryptonite fuhgeddaboutit.
Old 02-16-21, 01:29 PM
greeniearts

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I miss restaurants the most! The food scene was amazing. I rode a lot just to keep the weight off. Even the food trucks/carts served up tasty dishes.

When I graduated, J&R was still open. It's where I loved browsing the aisles. Got all my music CDs from J&R.

Fortunately, I never had a bike stolen, either in LA or NYC. I was pretty paranoid about someone stealing my bike in NYC, and I'm still careful in LA. I keep my most prized bikes in the house, rather than in the garage.
Likes For greeniearts:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.