Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Shades of Grey...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Shades of Grey...

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-21, 12:45 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Shades of Grey...

Except for road tuning, this puppy is, pretty much good to go. Though I have shared the build process, I thought to show the done deal without color...

Old 02-14-21, 01:00 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
Just stunning Randy!
Old 02-14-21, 04:30 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,022 Times in 665 Posts
I like that steel cottered crank. It look right on that bike. The foil decal look great. So do the other ones, but the foil decal is a period correct look and more difficult to do correctly. Did you highlight how you did the foil artwork? The red lines on the top and bottom of the foil and the transition from chrome to paint, are they paint or tape? I like the fenders, they came out great as well. It is more paint but the result is classy.

That's a real corncob freewheel.

Nice job. Great attention to detail.
Old 02-14-21, 05:23 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,690 Times in 2,610 Posts
I like everything except that fender line.
Old 02-14-21, 06:25 PM
tyler_fred

Bikes: American, Italian, and Japanese.. in no particular order.

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 128 Posts
Quick fix...
Untrue your rims a bit, and the fender line goes unnoticed.. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Old 02-14-21, 07:16 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 965 Post(s)
Liked 1,629 Times in 1,045 Posts
Clean!!!
Old 02-16-21, 05:22 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,751 Times in 938 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I like that steel cottered crank. It look right on that bike. The foil decal look great. So do the other ones, but the foil decal is a period correct look and more difficult to do correctly. Did you highlight how you did the foil artwork? The red lines on the top and bottom of the foil and the transition from chrome to paint, are they paint or tape? I like the fenders, they came out great as well. It is more paint but the result is classy.

That's a real corncob freewheel.

Nice job. Great attention to detail.
I love the look of a decent cottered crank and the one fitted is original issue...

The foil decal was so easy to create. I bought it and stuck it to the head tube (thank you Velocals)...

When I took this pic more edge cleaning was in order. Looks much better now but hard to take decent pictures in minus 30 degree temperatures...

The foil artwork is really windows in the head tube lug and painted, with a brush by hand. In fact, I painted the whole frame/fork with a brush...

I tried tape for the chrome/paint transition on the seat tube, fork and stays but it worked poorly (tape was too old and did not adhere well so I did them by hand). I shold add that the chrome panel on the seat tube was original issue. The next level up of this era Torpado featured a fully polished chrome frame and fork set...

The fender line sucks and it too much for the 700c x 25 tires but the issue will be addressed when my 700c x 28 gumwalls arrive (end of March and much cheaper if I wait - no worries, riding in minus 30 degree weather is NOT fun)! There is more than adequate room to set a visually satisfying and functional fender fit...

When it comes to the freewheel, corncob almost and not for this old guys damaged knees and worn out body. This old Torpado will never see big ring use by me...

As for the painted fender comment, I had little choice as the chrome on the fenders was not good enough to leave unaddressed. To that add that I do like the look of color matched fenders, such as these on an old Legnano that fell prey to my restoration process...

Last edited by randyjawa; 02-16-21 at 05:25 AM.
Likes For randyjawa: