Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Spray.Bike Tinted Clear

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Spray.Bike Tinted Clear

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-21, 09:25 PM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 95 Posts
Spray.Bike Tinted Clear

I've got a 1979-ish Austro-Daimler Vent Noir II project. Originally, these bikes had a beautiful "smoked chrome" finish, which looks like a tinted chrome. Unfortunately, my bike was previously scrubbed down to just the chrome, and I've pretty much finished removing any trace of the noir in cleaning up the frame. So, I've looked around for something like a translucent paint suitable for laying over chrome, or a tinted clearcoat. Either way, the goal is to return the finish to its orignial beauty.

Here's the bike in its current chrome finish.

Spray.Bike makes an interesting tinted clearcoat called Blackfriars Clear: https://spraybike.us/collections/poc...rs-clear-200ml

Does anyone have experience with this, or with Spray.Bike regular clear? There are plenty of sponsored videos out there that get good results with their products, but my proposed use is not typical. I would hope to lay down 2-3 coats of this tinted clear in the hope of ending up with a darkened, glossy chrome finish that is durable. I'm just not sure how it would do over chrome or whether their clear is even very durable.

Or any other ideas? Truthfully, the bike will be pretty with replacement decals in gold and a good wax on top, but they are so pretty in the smoked chrome finish, I'd like to try to get there.
Likes For dbhouston:
Old 02-16-21, 09:50 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,703 Times in 937 Posts
I wish you luck- I have a Black Chrome Schwinn that's looking kinda rough- but I love that Black Chrome.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 02-17-21, 03:58 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts
Originally Posted by dbhouston
So, I've looked around for something like a translucent paint suitable for laying over chrome, or a tinted clearcoat. Either way, the goal is to return the finish to its orignial beauty.

Does anyone have experience with this, or with Spray.Bike regular clear? There are plenty of sponsored videos out there that get good results with their products, but my proposed use is not typical. I would hope to lay down 2-3 coats of this tinted clear in the hope of ending up with a darkened, glossy chrome finish that is durable. I'm just not sure how it would do over chrome or whether their clear is even very durable.
I've been playing with this idea a few times. With a rattle-can tinted clear over chrome I found it needed about 15-20 coats, each extremely thin, to get a nice even colour with no sags. I haven't used this brand of paint but suspect you may have a similar experience. I was trying for a deep colour, it may be that you won't need that many.

Get a bit of chrome-plated tubing (shower-rail?) and experiment. If in the end it does not work you have a simple strip to a nice finish anyway.
Old 02-17-21, 09:40 AM
dbhouston 

Bikes: 2005 Orbea Spirit + 2018 Specialized Diverge + 1974 Raleigh Competition + 1983 Centurion Pro Tour 15

Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered three cans of the stuff - awfully expensive for what it is - and will experiment before trying on the frame. I'll let you know how it works out.
Likes For dbhouston:
Old 02-17-21, 10:23 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,183 Posts
Op,
There was a recent thread here about this do-it-yourself Cromovelato but I can't find it., another member used a tinted clear from Duplicolor or maybe a stained glass paint on a few frames and it seemed to work well.
I believe any high-quality color-tinted clear would work.
Be sure to wipe the frame clean of any oils before painting...paint will have a difficult time adhering to chrome unless prepped properly.
Here is a link: https://www.duplicolor.com/product/m...omotive-paint/
There are many other "candy" paints out there, find one you like and do the prep.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 02-17-21, 10:35 AM
b2bstam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
worth paint a bicycle with spraybike?
Old 02-17-21, 11:01 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 590 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by b2bstam
worth paint a bicycle with spraybike?
Friend is Search

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ght=spray.bike

Old 02-17-21, 11:07 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
spray.bike paints are advertised as "acrylic" and said to be "softer" than such very hard resins such as 2-pack urethanes (such as Imron). Most any clear will exhibit poor adhesion to polished surfaces such as chrome plating and spray.bike's website warns that their paint (all sorts) will not adhere well to titanium. They want all surfaces to be cleaned with rubbing alcohol (and they warn multiple times to NOT USE acetone so they must mean it!) My guess is this will not be the same as original "smoked chrome" and maybe about as durable over shiny chrome as lacquers (the trad "cromovelato" finish) which is to say NOT very durable. But if you decide to try it please report back on the results, short and long term.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 02-17-21, 11:34 AM
dbhouston 

Thanks! And, yeah, to be clear, I'm not talking about repainting anything, though I do kind of want to find another project where I can mess with the whole spray.bike system someday.

This project calls for a translucent coat of some sort, and a tinted clear feels like the safest option. The spray.bike one I've ordered is basically their clear, tinted black. The only reviews I've found of their clear are in the context of using it over their paint, which provides it's own unusually textured surface.

I did read/watch about the Dupli-Color product specifically marketed for darkening chrome (this one: https://www.duplicolor.com/product/s...k-out-coating/) and it doesn't appear to be very durable.

oneclick, what brands of tinted clear did you use on your projects? I have seen your pictures, and that effect is certainly getting into the neighborhood of what the Vent Noir wants to look like.

Anyway, I'll do some experimenting with the stuff when it arrives and let y'all know.
Old 02-17-21, 11:42 AM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 1,328 Times in 784 Posts

oneclick, what brands of tinted clear did you use on your projects? I have seen your pictures, and that effect is certainly getting into the neighborhood of what the Vent Noir wants to look like.
Testors for the Cinelli (not available anymore but I have a few cans squirreled away), Krylon for the Torpados, and there's a can I just saw in the auto paint racks that promises a nice dark blue tint, will be trying that on the next CV CV project. There is a grafitti paint supplier that also has some interesting transparent colours but I can't remember who they are, shipping was eye-watering.
Old 02-17-21, 12:49 PM
guy153

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 321 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 212 Posts
I don't know about chromovelato but I can get a pretty nice sprizzosplattato finish with spray.bike.
Old 02-17-21, 01:08 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26424 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered three cans of the stuff - awfully expensive for what it is - and will experiment before trying on the frame. I'll let you know how it works out.

...for what they charge for Spraybike paints, my own opinion is that for the use you propose (a sort of chromovelato finish, but in black), your best bet would be to spray it out in a transparent enamel in the shade you want ( like this one from Testors), and overcoat that and the decals with a 2 part urethane finish, like Spraymax.

Personally, I would experiment with roughing the chrome slightly on something else that doesn't matter to you, like an old steel seat post or bar, and see if that gives you an acceptable appearance. But the Spraymax has a limited pot life, once mixed, so you need to do your experimenting right before you want to paint.

The main problem with all the old chromovelato finishes (as already stated), is their fugitive nature. The lacquers used often fade over time, and the adhesion to polished chrome was terrible.

Don't rough the chrome until you are certain that you can get an acceptable final result from your testing. My own projects have turned out well doing this, because the overcoating of the 2K clear coat provides so much depth and gloss. With a thinner paint layer, that might not prove to be the case.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 02-17-21, 02:00 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 788 Posts
The other big brands for "Graffiti Art" spray cans are Montana and Molotow, they seem almost interchangeable, similar packaging/marketing and both are AFAIK produced in the EU as is Spray.bikes paint. (Greece versus Germany and "somewhere in Europe"). They almost all are some form of acrylic, when they disclose their formulas. The upside is the ENORMOSE color range and choice of spray nozzle/caps. Downside is most are not glossy finish, if that's something you need. Last comment: I only painted one frame with "grafitti" paint and was not expecting much durability even after a good cure-time it seemed soft. The "customer" liked this semi-matte finish (he picked the color/brand) but no idea how it has held up cause that bike went far way (to Spain) and lost track.

Last edited by unworthy1; 02-17-21 at 02:13 PM.
Old 02-17-21, 02:40 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
Ive used their clear and also a couple of their keirin sparkle clears. They have both lasted multiple years now and the regular clear is on one of my kids' MTBs so its not like its been babied.
Likes For mstateglfr: