Search
Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Buyer beware YT customer service

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-21, 05:14 PM
Rokcore

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Buyer beware YT customer service

TLDR: Bad paint, inaccurate exploded diagram and broken Parktool

I bought a YT Capra in March of 2019. From the very beginning the paint on the bike started chipping within the first couple months and not just in exposed areas. Paint was chipping in areas that would not be exposed to rocks (such as the top of the arm connecting the seat stay / front triangle). Not a huge deal...at first. After a year riding the bike the paint was at a point where many areas had paint chips. Down tube, chain stays, seat stays, and the small connecting arms were all affected. So I reached out to YT to get some touch up paint.

-----------------------------------
Hi,

I ordered a bike last year, order number -------, and have been having issues with the paint chipping in various spots on the frame. Is there any chance of purchasing a touch up paint kit? Or where to purchase something similar?

Thanks!

YT Response:
Hey _,

Thanks for reaching out to YT!

Unfortunately we do not have touch up paint available however you may be able to find a good match at a paint supply store using a touch up pen etc..

Shred safe out there,
_

It sucks but sure the paint isn't in warranty. I would understand this if the paint wasn't chipping from the very start, not very happy that they didn't have touch up paint or even paint codes for the bike. So I kept riding. Until recently I had no issues but there's now so many exposed areas that I don't want to risk having any more aluminum exposed. So I started the process of tearing down the bike to repaint or powder coat the frame (I understand this voids the warranty which would have been fine). I looked at the exploded drawings for the bike and determined the park tool suspension bearing kit would have no issues with removing these bearings. Wrong. The first few came out without issue and then I got to the seat stay bearings. On the exploded diagram the entire seat stay bearing hardware is shown going in from one side of the frame so a reasonable person could assume that hardware also comes out from the same side. So I put the park tool bearing kit to it, got a little tough but kept going based on the drawing information, and ended up breaking the tool (Shout out to park tools for no questions asked replacement). Even more paint cracked at this point which isn't a concern since that's the whole point of the tear down. I'm more concerned about the integrity of the aluminum now.

At this point I was very unhappy with the quality of the bike. So I contacted YT support again. Their response was that the bearings come out from either side of the seat stay.

Hey _,

Thanks for reaching out!

Sorry to hear that you are having difficulty removing these bearings.

I just want to confirm that you are trying to remove the bearings out of their own sides.

The bearings have to be pulled one at a time as there is a center lip that prohibits them from being pressed out of the same side.

Cheers,
__

I explained that the paint was now further cracked using a proper tool for the job (assuming the diagrams were right) which means any service to the bike would just crack more paint. It's one thing for paint to chip after a couple years out in the sun but I don't ride often enough for this to be an issue and the bike is always stored inside. I also said there's nothing in the diagram indicating these bearings are directional. So they responded again

__

Hey _,

I am presently using an Enduro bearing slide hammer in the workshop to remove bearings from our frames.

With this style extractor there is nothing that touches the frame so it is much easier to remove bearings without paint damage.

Sorry to hear about the paint damage that has happened.

Cheers,
___

Now I'm pissed off that they're implying the tool I chose is wrong. Anyone who has the SBK can say there's no issue with removing other bearings when pressed out from the correct sides.

___

_,

I don't see how this is useful for resolving the issue I am having. The frame paint wasn't done properly from the start and I shouldn't have to buy a new tool to service the bike because the paint was falling off right after buying it. I successfully removed the other back to back bearings on the bike and there's nothing on the diagram indicating these should be removed from opposite sides.

To be clear, I would like a replacement frame as this doesn't just affect working on the bearings. The paint wasn't properly done even before receiving the bike and attempting to fix this issue myself (because of a poor response to my paint request initially) has resulted in broken tools (thankfully park tools is replacing this via warranty) from a poor exploded diagram and even further damage to the paint. I don't expect a showroom finish but even in it's original state the paint would rattle off from a season of riding. I'm not an engineer but exposing the aluminum would be a safety issue for the bike which is the whole reason for fixing this in the first place.

Without a replacement frame I don't see this issue being resolved. There's plenty of bikes that have paint in good condition after 10 years of riding such as my previous bike and can be more easily serviced.

-__

___

At this point their warranty lead gets involved

____
Hello __,

I am __, the Warranty Lead here at YT USA.

I totally understand where you are coming from!

Unfortunately our warranty period does not cover paint defects or paint issues.

In this case we would be unable to provide a warranty case for you.

As far as the bearings go, they can be tough to remove, and that is why we typically advise utilizing a professional mechanic for this service.

In this case I do suggest that you run by a trusted bike shop to have those bearings swapped out for you.

Please let us know if you need any additional assistance.

Cheers,
_

_

Now they are suggesting that a routine service task should be done by a professional mechanic even though I have a quality tool to do so. I respond again

_,

If the exploded diagram for this model year indicated that the bearings be removed from either side it would not have been an issue and I could have selected the proper tool for removal instead of destroying my ParkTool SBK. A LBS mechanic could have easily made the same assumption given that the exploded diagram shows other parts going in from either side (See the arms connecting the seat stays to the front triangle). In the future I suggest a diagram that breaks the bike apart further, is accurate to which side all parts are installed and suggesting correct tools for removal. Suggesting a professional mechanic for routine service is not an answer for inaccurate diagrams; the very same diagrams a professional shop would reference for service.

-_

_

Hello ____,

The exploded diagram is primarily used for a visualization of the hardware to easier determine the correct order of installation.

In this case it shows where the bearings go, but isn't intended to provide instruction regarding removal.

Instructions like that would be best directed towards our service team so we can provide you with the best methods for removal.

Cheers,
____

_

____,

In that case the diagram is inaccurate and does not correctly show the placement of the seat stay bearings in relation to the frame.

If the frame cannot be replaced for cosmetic/potential structure damage then there is nothing else you can do for me and I don't want to waste any more of our time

-____

No offer to check the seat stays, replace the seat stays, no warranty, no touch up paint, and not an acknowledgement of the drawing indicating the wrong order of parts. I just cannot wrap my head around why this is incorrect since many CAD programs will automatically do exploded drawings for you. Don't get me wrong, the bike rides good, but good luck getting help once they have your money. I hope this prevents someone else from making the same mistake as I did and a hard lesson learned to look at manufacturer documentation prior to purchasing a bike. My previous bike, a 2010 Yeti 575, was 8 years old when I bought it but there were no paint chips despite scratches on the frame. My coworkers, who crash more often and harder than I do, also have zero issues with their frames ranging from Trek, Yeti, Pivot, and Scott frames. What gives YT?
Old 02-17-21, 05:24 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,545 Times in 7,329 Posts
Yes. Tl;dnr
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 02-17-21, 05:27 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,918 Posts
YouTube sells bicycles?
Old 02-17-21, 06:13 PM
Barry2 
LR÷P=HR

Bikes: 1981 Holdsworth Special, 1993 C-dale MT3000 & 1996 F700CAD3, 2018 Cervelo R3 & 2022 R5, JustGo Runt, Ridley Oval, Kickr Bike 8-)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 694 Posts
First off... Welcome to Bike Forums.

Secondly, it sounds like you tried to pull a bearing clean through a frame and not out the side that is closest.
I understand why you chose to believe the diagram, but it's a bit of a rookie move I'm afraid.

Thirdly, If your first post here is a long-ol-rant with no resulting question, you can expect to be goaded quite a bit.
Don't be put off... we're a friendly bunch really (ok, mostly).

Sorry to hear about your bike.

All the best

Barry
Old 02-17-21, 07:40 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1581 Post(s)
Liked 1,189 Times in 605 Posts
Teh Biek Forms > General Cycling Discussion > reductio ad absurdum.

Charitable construction: I blame it all on t'Covid.

That is all.
Likes For badger1:
Old 02-17-21, 07:53 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,963 Times in 4,688 Posts
You opened a bf account just to gripe about something called "YT"?

That would not be cool even if I knew what a YT is.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 02-17-21, 08:08 PM
phughes

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1034 Post(s)
Liked 1,290 Times in 743 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

The bike looks decent. Sounds like a mix of normal and operator error. I don't know any manufacturer that offers touch up paint. If it really got bad, before I stared tearing it down, I would have sent pictures of the damaged paint.

Probably this: https://us.yt-industries.com/detail/index/sArticle/2346

Likes For phughes:
Old 02-17-21, 08:12 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Rokcore
TLDR: Bad paint, inaccurate exploded diagram and broken Parktool

I bought a YT Capra in March of 2019. From the very beginning the paint on the bike started chipping within the first couple months and not just in exposed areas. Paint was chipping in areas that would not be exp

<SNIP>

our money. I hope this prevents someone else from making the same mistake as I did and a hard lesson learned to look at manufacturer documentation prior to purchasing a bike. My previous bike, a 2010 Yeti 575, was 8 years old when I bought it but there were no paint chips despite scratches on the frame. My coworkers, who crash more often and harder than I do, also have zero issues with their frames ranging from Trek, Yeti, Pivot, and Scott frames. What gives YT?
Can you post pictures of the paint damage. You will have to post some comments on other threads until you get your post count to ten, but then you will be able to post a picture. Either that, or provide a link to the pictures, in text, since you cannot yet post links either.

Thanks
Old 02-17-21, 08:14 PM
phughes

Here is an article in Bicycling about YT bikes. https://www.bicycling.com/bikes-gear...ustries-bikes/
Old 02-18-21, 06:52 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote

In fairness, they are a large, well known German brand of direct sales mountain bikes. If you ask a mountain biker, odds are they will be very familiar with this brand (I'm assuming you're not a mountain biker). Their bikes are generally well reviewed and seen as high quality, cutting edge bikes for a good price.
Likes For Hiro11:
Old 02-18-21, 07:18 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3674 Post(s)
Liked 5,431 Times in 2,759 Posts
Yeah, it's a bummer but most of us have made bonehead mechanical moves. In my case I'm usually out the cost of the part. You were lucky you broke the tool instead and that Park replaced it! IMO, not a chance they'll give you a replacement frame so get a nice powder coat and ride happy again. Maybe pay a shop to put the bike back together if you are still unsure.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 02-18-21, 12:37 PM
phughes

Originally Posted by Hiro11
In fairness, they are a large, well known German brand of direct sales mountain bikes. If you ask a mountain biker, odds are they will be very familiar with this brand (I'm assuming you're not a mountain biker). Their bikes are generally well reviewed and seen as high quality, cutting edge bikes for a good price.
Yeah, they really decent bikes. They are a great value, high quality for a fair price.