Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Does biking help with pull ups?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 05:30 PM
burritos

Bikes: 2021 Polygon Siskiu D7, 2008 Lemond Tourmalet

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 178 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 56 Posts

I have a pull up bar in my office. I do them intermittently. I also do some gym rock wall climbing. But since I've been biking more, I feel like that has improved my pull up count the most.(even more than rock climbing). Or is it just placebo?
Old 02-18-21, 05:33 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
Are you doing pull ups with your legs?
Old 02-18-21, 05:46 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
How much weight has the OP dropped from cycling? Is he using a handcycle or pedaling with his arms? So many questions, so few valid reasons to ask them...
Likes For AdkMtnMonster:
Old 02-18-21, 05:56 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by AdkMtnMonster
How much weight has the OP dropped from cycling? Is he using a handcycle or pedaling with his arms? So many questions, so few valid reasons to ask them...
Since I started bike commuting I've actually gained 1 lb from 129ish to 130ish. I hope it's muscle. My legs do look slightly bigger. Regular road bike with weekend mountain biking, but no hand pedaling.
Likes For burritos:
Old 02-18-21, 06:14 PM
boxrick

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am not sure I have noticed it ever help me to be honest
Old 02-18-21, 06:26 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,944 Times in 1,906 Posts
it'll help with pulling the stuck in seat post, maybe? I wouldn't know as I haven't had the real struggle I suppose.
Old 02-18-21, 10:46 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4332 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
Eating fewer burritos might help Not saying I would ever do that but...

Cycling is not a major upper body sport. You see a lot of jacked quads and legs but our upper bodies not so much (though people do upper body work and it is not to say we are all the same).

Granted I hate pull ups and push ups and sit ups and sometimes UPS (but usually because they forget to come back to pick up the package they didn't have space for ) Now burrito curls and competitive napping I can get down with.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 02-19-21, 01:30 AM
homelessjoe

Bikes: miyata 83 1000,84 1000,83 610,88 ridge runner ,Schwinn 84 high sierra,88 Cimmeron,86 Passage,84 Stumplumper ,83 Mt Whitney,83 Trek 850,Merckx Century,PX10, RB1,XO 1 XO 4,bunch of stuff like that

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 42 Posts
upper body

You use your upper body to balance yourself.You really notice this effect if you have your touring bike overloaded and climbing a hill you will start to snake up the hill at slow speeds .When you are snaking down the road you have to constantly pull up on the bars to balance yourself and that wears you out big time in a hurry .Touring bikes have longer wheel bases to keep you in a straight line for this reason.You will notice bikes with racing geometries will snake down the road at slow speeds but become more stable when you get up to speed.Racers who drive aggressively and fast do not notice this because the bike is always balanced
Old 02-19-21, 04:54 AM
Outrider1

Bikes: Trek Emonda ALR 5

Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Liked 301 Times in 140 Posts
Overall fitness and strength have increased, so yes, it could.
Old 02-19-21, 06:19 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2479 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,673 Posts
Unlikely. The riders who do the most mileage---professional road racing cyclists---don't appear to gain much muscle.

Last edited by Trakhak; 02-19-21 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-19-21, 06:50 AM
Vismund B

Bikes: An old Panasonic Sport

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 19 Posts
In my experience, I have gained some upper arm strength from riding everyday. I am riding over a bridge everyday, twice a day, plus many other hilly sections. I carry a pannier on one side that I usually have pretty loaded so it definitely adds some significant weight to the bike that I have to pull up the hills.
Old 02-19-21, 08:33 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
Cyclists arent traditionally known to have the most developed of upper bodies.

And 1 pound of weight difference?...thats just daily variation.
Old 02-19-21, 08:45 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Cyclists arent traditionally known to have the most developed of upper bodies.

And 1 pound of weight difference?...thats just daily variation.
As someone who is OCD I check my weight daily after I return from work. Yes there is variation, especially after I binge on the weekend. But weight always zeroes out to 130 as the week goes by. Where as a year ago before bike commuting I would consistently zero out at 129. And this year I haven’t been ordering as much as we generally over order so I primarily work on leftovers.
Old 02-19-21, 08:47 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by Trakhak
Unlikely. The riders who do the most mileage---professional road racing cyclists---don't appear to gain much muscle.

I this someone famous?
Old 02-19-21, 12:03 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Cycling does improve your core strength which is your abs and back muscles. In fact doing core training is also a good way to improve your cycling. And I know BMX is very upper body intensive with lifting up to do bike jumps etc so I imagine MTB is the same way. I think the combination of the two is helping your pull ups.
Old 02-19-21, 01:12 PM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
Originally Posted by burritos
I this someone famous?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michae...ussen_(cyclist)
Old 02-19-21, 01:56 PM
burritos

Thanks. He was a beast in this clip. I'm not sure if he could do a ton of pull ups, but he certainly could fly up a mountain compared to the best of the best.
Old 02-20-21, 01:28 AM
jay4usc
Live Healthy

Bikes: Wabi Classic

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 92 Posts
I have a pull up bar in my office. I do them intermittently. I also do some gym rock wall climbing. But since I've been biking more, I feel like that has improved my pull up count the most.(even more than rock climbing). Or is it just placebo?

your core has probably gotten stronger.
Old 02-20-21, 06:34 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by cubewheels

If you're pulling a lot on the handle bar because you're doing lots of very steep climbs or doing climbs in high gear / sprinting a lot. Then YES, you could improve your pull ups with cycling.
NO it doesn`t...Cycling and pull ups are a completely different exercise, different movement pattern. Pulling on a bicycle handlebars is not the same as pulling your entire bodyweight up on a pull up bar...The only way to get better at pull ups is to do train pull ups more often.
Old 02-20-21, 08:35 PM
burritos

Originally Posted by wolfchild
NO it doesn`t...Cycling and pull ups are a completely different exercise, different movement pattern. Pulling on a bicycle handlebars is not the same as pulling your entire bodyweight up on a pull up bar...The only way to get better at pull ups is to do train pull ups more often.
So when I was in high school I could do a max of 25. 30 years later, I get a pull up bar for my kids. I do mini competitions with them. On the best day I could throw up 14 and I would literally feel like throwing up after the attempt. Despite doing indoor bouldering and occasional pull ups for a year, that max doesn't budge. I stop bouldering/pullups after getting a left frozen shoulder. COVID hits. I did PT home band exercises for 6 months. More importantly, I also pick up commute cycling(20 mi rt per day). Shoulder is better. Restarted pullups 4 months ago with 5-7 reps of 5-7 pullups. The interval is scattered throughout the day depending how busy it is at work. Last week I attempted a max. 22. I can see adding 2 maybe 3 to my previous max, but not 8. My conclusion is it has to be the biking.
Old 02-20-21, 11:01 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
So when I was in high school I could do a max of 25. 30 years later, I get a pull up bar for my kids. I do mini competitions with them. On the best day I could throw up 14 and I would literally feel like throwing up after the attempt. Despite doing indoor bouldering and occasional pull ups for a year, that max doesn't budge. I stop bouldering/pullups after getting a left frozen shoulder. COVID hits. I did PT home band exercises for 6 months. More importantly, I also pick up commute cycling(20 mi rt per day). Shoulder is better. Restarted pullups 4 months ago with 5-7 reps of 5-7 pullups. The interval is scattered throughout the day depending how busy it is at work. Last week I attempted a max. 22. I can see adding 2 maybe 3 to my previous max, but not 8. My conclusion is it has to be the biking.
Certainly something is helping that specific fitness, but you'd have to explain how cycling works the lats in any meaningful way. I can't imagine it. Biceps, maybe (but not much). But there's no lats involved no matter how much you pull on the handlebars from a sitting or standing position.

What are your PT band exercises?

And you don't think your DAILY MULTIPLE SETS of pull ups aren't what's causing your max to increase???

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're looking at the wrong place for your improvement.
Old 02-20-21, 11:10 PM
Toespeas

Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 41 Posts
yes if you loose weight , but direct muscle use i highly doubt it , maybe it increases your ability to absorb the pain and move the lactic acid around , i do think that pull ups will allow you to create a more solid upper body position on the bike allowing you to loose less watts when you are thrashing the bike during high efforts !
Old 02-21-21, 12:16 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by Toespeas
yes if you loose weight , but direct muscle use i highly doubt it , maybe it increases your ability to absorb the pain and move the lactic acid around , i do think that pull ups will allow you to create a more solid upper body position on the bike allowing you to loose less watts when you are thrashing the bike during high efforts !
I didn't lose weight, but I think you hit the nail on the head with regards to lactate. I think biking has improved my ability to convert lactate back to glucose:

I believe when muscle failure happens, it's not because of the build up of lactic acid. It's because it's run out of ATP. But if the liver with biking has increased the biochemical machinery to convert serum lactate back to glucose, this glucose can then be readily available for more pull ups. So when I get to 14-15, my biceps, traps, and lats fatigue. I can hold on and rest in between each of the last 8 till my grip can no longer be maintained. I'm convinced this is due to biking. Before the biking, I did similar reps(plus more climbing) which did not move the needle on the max#.
Old 02-21-21, 01:21 AM
cjenrick

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
if you put a pull-up bar on your bike you could save time.

if you saw off one side of your handlebars, you will be able to do one handed pull-ups like John Bacher.

Last edited by cjenrick; 02-21-21 at 01:31 AM.
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 02-21-21, 01:21 AM
burritos

Originally Posted by Camilo
Certainly something is helping that specific fitness, but you'd have to explain how cycling works the lats in any meaningful way. I can't imagine it. Biceps, maybe (but not much). But there's no lats involved no matter how much you pull on the handlebars from a sitting or standing position.

What are your PT band exercises?

And you don't think your DAILY MULTIPLE SETS of pull ups aren't what's causing your max to increase???

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're looking at the wrong place for your improvement.
Band exercises were just eccentric internal and external rotation. Not much adding of weight. The multiple sets is something that was unchanged before and after the spike in biking.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.