Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Is the fully integrated cockpit inevitable?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Is the fully integrated cockpit inevitable?

Old 02-25-21, 10:19 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by seypat
We haven't even talked about the trends and fads that come and go. Did I read somewhere that narrow handlebars are back to being in vogue? How are you going to experiment with that if you have an integrated setup? The system WiFi mentions seems to be a lot better. I would always be in favor of a modular system over an all in one.
Yes they are coming back into style. *looks for vomit emoji and is disappointed*

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-25-21, 10:22 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20804 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Integrated stem/bar on all bikes just sounds terrible. Its a solution to a problem that only exists for like 1% of cyclists- those who feel the need to make it seem like their bike doesnt use cables/hoses and/or those who ride electronic shifting.

The easiest reason not to is- what if I dont want a 120mm stem and 42mm bars? What if I want 44mm bars and a 100mm stem? Oh great- I need to pay $200-400 for a new bar/stem combo.
Meanwhile, if I want a new stem currently, I pay $25 for a Kalloy Uno 7 and have a reliable stem that is lighter than most anything else. And if I want new bars, I can spend $40-100 and get the exact width, reach, drop, and bend that I want.
You're underestimating vanity. I think that I'm a pretty practical guy, but I'll make concessions for a bit of bling, now and then, particularly on my flagship bike. If I'm reasonably confident that my fit needs would be met for the near term, let's say 3+ years, I'd be willing to pay for something that ostensibly improves aero efficiency but effectively just looks badass.

Again, I'm not arguing that this is going to become ubiquitous, but I do think that modular integrated cockpits will become more common on enthusiast level bikes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-25-21, 10:23 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

What do you think is controlling most of the autos people drive now? Maybe not in the cheap ones, but certainly a big part of the industry.
Yeah whole industry is leaving brake boosters behind. My co worker's husband owns a metal stamping company that mainly supplies brake parts to the auto industry and has been working overtime to re tool and perfect new contract processes on the electronic system components. Everytime he talks about it I can't help but think of this....

Old 02-25-21, 10:24 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
Do cars no longer have emergency brake levers? I'm aware of regenerative braking, obviously, but I assume there's quite a bit redundancy in there, the weight and complexity of which is allowable and expected in an automobile. In the road bike form, I would think there would be heavy opposition to those types of systems, unless it was for e-bikes and the brake systems were for regenerative purposes.
They do, but not all of the emergency brake levers have mechanical linkage systems now. Electronic emergency brakes have been around for a decade or two. Same for gas pedals, transmissions, etc. The linkages are not mechanical wires/cables anymore.(in a big part of the industry)

Last edited by seypat; 02-25-21 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-25-21, 10:24 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Yes they are coming back into style. *looks for vomit emoji and is disappointed*
The really narrow set-ups do look gross, particularly with the flared drops and levers angled. Horrendous.
Old 02-25-21, 10:26 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Some are going more extreme than others, but yeah - aero concerns have more people looking at narrower options. I think that guys running 36cm are going to be outliers, but people nudging down and making 38-40 more common probably isn't a bad bet. I recently moved from 44 to 42cm, and think that I could certainly go a little narrower without ill effect.
Bike I built last year I ended up having to narrow down to 42 form 44. I haven't gotten smaller so I am not sure why other than maybe something has changed as I have gotten older. That said we have always run narrower bars at the track. The pro ranks are pushing ridiculously narrow bars and the elimination of the IAB position by the UCI will simply lead to more of these flexible and death wish prone 20 something racers wanting to push the narrow bar look.

Think of them as the handlebar bags of the pro peloton.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-25-21, 10:26 AM
WhyFi

They do, but not all of the emergency brake levers have mechanical linkage systems now. Electronic emergency brakes have been around for a decade or 2 now. Same for gas pedals, transmissions, etc. The linkages are not mechanical wires/cables anymore.
Cool, but I stand by the part that the form factor and logistics that allow it in vehicles isn't going to fly on performance-oriented and fully self-propelled bikes.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-25-21, 10:58 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
You're underestimating vanity. I think that I'm a pretty practical guy, but I'll make concessions for a bit of bling, now and then, particularly on my flagship bike. If I'm reasonably confident that my fit needs would be met for the near term, let's say 3+ years, I'd be willing to pay for something that ostensibly improves aero efficiency but effectively just looks badass.

Again, I'm not arguing that this is going to become ubiquitous, but I do think that modular integrated cockpits will become more common on enthusiast level bikes.
Yeah, part of my response was based on what I hope to see vs what most likely will happen.
To be clear, I think the look of integrated cockpits is great. They are slick as hell for sure. If someone knows what they need for fit, then cool get em- more money is spent on worse things all the time. I dont like the idea that someone buys a bike and needs to then buy a new bar/stem combo for a good bit of $ in order to have the bike fit. Compare that to typically just a stem swap is needed with separate components.

If I were building up a road bike frame that was worthy of an integrated cockpit, I could see considering one since I would know what I want for fit(most likely, there is always a wild card) since they look neat. Its just annoying that some are forced to accept what is on the current bike and then buy another. Really, I continue to think of Canyon with this annoyance, but thats consumer direct and maybe 'the price you pay' for going direct.
Old 02-25-21, 10:59 AM
seypat

Yeah whole industry is leaving brake boosters behind. My co worker's husband owns a metal stamping company that mainly supplies brake parts to the auto industry and has been working overtime to re tool and perfect new contract processes on the electronic system components. Everytime he talks about it I can't help but think of this....

https://youtu.be/Dug-G9xVdVs
The people at Simplex must have watched the movie and took his advice. Big mistake.

Edit: The first Simplex Delrin derailleur came out in 1962 before the movie. They made their decision on their own.

Last edited by seypat; 02-25-21 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-25-21, 11:00 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Rocket-Sauce
Not if mechanics have any say.
I dont think in the history of engineers have they ever been to concerned with the dude fixing the junk or building the junk.
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 02-25-21, 11:20 AM
Branko D

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 338 Post(s)
Liked 408 Times in 252 Posts
I love the idea, but only if I can specify the length / width of it when ordering the bike, rather than having to order and pay for those 36cm bars, having to install them and painstakingly angle the shifters inward.

It’s probably going to happen at the higher end of road bike spectrum because it just looks awesome.
Old 02-25-21, 11:44 AM
Rocket-Sauce 
Port

Bikes: 2022 Soma Fog Cutter, 2021 Calfee Draqonfly 44, 1984 Peter Mooney, 2017 Soma Stanyan, 1990 Fuji Ace, 1990 Bridgestone RB-1, 1995 Independent Fabrications Track, 2003 Calfee Dragonfly Pro

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 979 Post(s)
Liked 1,840 Times in 1,052 Posts
https://www.speeco.tech/

Old 02-25-21, 11:47 AM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Some are going more extreme than others, but yeah - aero concerns have more people looking at narrower options. I think that guys running 36cm are going to be outliers, but people nudging down and making 38-40 more common probably isn't a bad bet. I recently moved from 44 to 42cm, and think that I could certainly go a little narrower without ill effect.
I have noticed a lot of track guys going to narrow (36-38) bars. I ride 44 on the road and 38 on the track. I am 6’1”. I am not sure I would ride less than maybe 42 on the road because I am not willing to give up the leverage a wider bar provides in certain situations, out of the saddle climbing for example.
Old 02-25-21, 12:16 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by colnago62
I have noticed a lot of track guys going to narrow (36-38) bars. I ride 44 on the road and 38 on the track. I am 6’1”. I am not sure I would ride less than maybe 42 on the road because I am not willing to give up the leverage a wider bar provides in certain situations, out of the saddle climbing for example.
track has always been narrow. Like the old 3T scatto was only available in like a 36 and a 38 width IIRC.

Old 02-25-21, 12:32 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
track has always been narrow. Like the old 3T scatto was only available in like a 36 and a 38 width IIRC.
The track has always been more narrow than the road, but over the past 10 or so years, riders have even gone more so. I saw a Dutch sprinter riding Hellyer bars that looked like 33’s.
Likes For colnago62:
Old 02-25-21, 12:42 PM
ericcox
Trying to keep up

Bikes: Pinarello Prince, Orbea Onix, Ridley Fenix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 79 Posts
Yes and no.

At the very high end, I think that there will always be room for something very slick like one-piece bar/stems.

For the enthusiasts, I think that we'll see more of the approach taken by the likes of Trek, with individual components that can be swapped for size/shape needs/preference. Routing may not be completely internal, but they'll make a point of cleaning up the cockpit, for both visual and aero concerns, and getting the cabling/brake lines in to the frame more quickly than before. Whereas things usually snake in to the frame on the inside of the downtube, I expect we'll start to see them entering in/around the headtube.
My 2021 Prince takes an interesting approach in that the Di2 wires and brake hoses are completely hidden; they run through the stem / headtube. The handlebar, however, is swappable (as is the stem). The handlebar clamp is standard, and I can even use my regular out front Garmin mount. So hidden wires / hoses but easier adjustability than a purely integrated set up.
Likes For ericcox:
Old 02-25-21, 01:02 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Yeah that's a good point - I don't really like the bar angle that most others do. Can't change that with integrated.

Really I have always seen these as the same as a seat mast. A nice feature on a high end bike but not really feasible for fitting the masses.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 02-25-21, 01:06 PM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
I dont like the idea that someone buys a bike and needs to then buy a new bar/stem combo for a good bit of $ in order to have the bike fit. Compare that to typically just a stem swap is needed with separate components.
I 100% feel that any bike that comes with a one-piece bar/stem needs to have a free swap to a unit with the width/reach of the customer's choice (within reason) - I think that it just makes too much sense from a customer service standpoint. Not only would that head off any resentment at the feeling of being nickel-and-dimed (not a phrase that seems appropriate at these prices, but you get the gist), but that would also be a little more proactive in ensuring that your highest-paying customers are fit to the bike at least well enough that (hopefully) they wouldn't have glaring issues causing immediate ill will because of the experience. Besides, having worked in sales, I know that it can be very lucrative to follow up with customers post-purchase; show some genuine concern that they're getting along well with their stuff and then see if they need anything else - they frequently do.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-25-21, 01:15 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Can't remember where I saw it, but they already thought up the variable width handlebar and length stem issue with integrated cockpits for road bikes. Ahh, the Canyon Aeroad. Not stem length, but IMHO that's a thing you should get a bike fit first. Then order the bike per your fit coordinates. Not the other way around, buying bikes then buying more junk to adjust the fit.

With TT bikes integrated cockpits already adjust up, down, pad width, pad tilt.

It will just take a while for the tech to trickle down cost wise.

Again though, the process is:
-get bike fit
-take coordinates to order a bike to those fit coordinates
-ride bike

The process is NOT:
-buy bike
-ride bike
-hate bike
-buy new random stem or bars for bike
-ride bike
-hate bike
-finally get a fit
-buy right stuff
-ride
Old 02-25-21, 01:18 PM
WhyFi

Yeah that's a good point - I don't really like the bar angle that most others do. Can't change that with integrated.
The (what I would call) modular integrated cockpit on the current Madone SLRs has that freedom - you can change out the bars, rotate the bars (within reason), and go to different stem lengths. I would assume that it's still just as much of a pain in the ass to install (if not more so) as the one piece jobbers, but at least you've got some flexibility.

Old 02-25-21, 01:23 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Ah...yes. Haven't run into them yet. Nice idea....a modular bar and stem setup. I wish someone would have thought of that before.

Old 02-25-21, 01:47 PM
WhyFi

Ah...yes. Haven't run into them yet. Nice idea....a modular bar and stem setup. I wish someone would have thought of that before.
Hey! Stop being deliberately obtuse! When it comes to completely internal routing, it's pretty sweet and should have been done sooner (though I'd be just as happy with external routing that's nicely tucked).
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-25-21, 01:54 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep
With TT bikes integrated cockpits already adjust up, down, pad width, pad tilt.
And fore aft. Even though people sometimes get fitted before buying TT bikes, they generally still buy bikes where you can make X adjustments to the main contact points without replacing the entire cockpit.

These adjustments are made possible because the pads and extensions generally are generally mounted through a second mechanism, which isn't a feature of drop-bar road bikes.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 02-25-21, 02:06 PM
seypat

The (what I would call) modular integrated cockpit on the current Madone SLRs has that freedom - you can change out the bars, rotate the bars (within reason), and go to different stem lengths. I would assume that it's still just as much of a pain in the ass to install (if not more so) as the one piece jobbers, but at least you've got some flexibility.

Whew, that setup is bulky looking! But, the paint is sweet enough so it's not really noticeable.
Old 02-25-21, 02:31 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Whew, that setup is bulky looking! But, the paint is sweet enough so it's not really noticeable.
It begs the question... why not just stick with what we have

Likes For Psimet2001:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.