Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why no major German bikes?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Why no major German bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-21, 12:41 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1660 Post(s)
Liked 1,808 Times in 1,053 Posts
Originally Posted by icemilkcoffee
Amazing that Portugal tops the list when it comes to bicycle production.
Manufacturing costs. Amazing is the large numbers of cycles manufactured in Germany, not considered a low-cost country.

Note: the EU protects its native bicycle industry with tariffs.
Old 03-01-21, 12:42 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
cant compete with Chinas output.
Old 03-01-21, 12:48 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
Originally Posted by TakingMyTime
Storck
I love my Storck! However, I also love that there's not many of them around my parts. Tons of Canyons, though.
Old 03-01-21, 12:50 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6944 Post(s)
Liked 10,944 Times in 4,677 Posts
Originally Posted by unterhausen
I think German companies generally have more profitable things to make. Same with the U.S.
Like dyno lighting systems and Rohloff hubs.
Old 03-01-21, 01:01 PM
tcs
Palmer

Originally Posted by Troul
can't compete with China's output.
While I was impressed with Giant Bicycle's robotic layup of CAD-designed carbon fiber frames, bicycle manufacture is at its heart 1890s technology. Even China is getting too advanced for bicycle production (they've gone to the Moon and Mars, after all.) Large scale bicycle manufacture is moving to Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, & etc.
Old 03-01-21, 01:19 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by tcs
While I was impressed with Giant Bicycle's robotic layup of CAD-designed carbon fiber frames, bicycle manufacture is at its heart 1890s technology. Even China is getting too advanced for bicycle production (they've gone to the Moon and Mars, after all.) Large scale bicycle manufacture is moving to Vietnam, Cambodia, Indonesia, Malaysia, & etc.
I'd expect German quality to not be on the same expectations of those countries. German & China can spit out a consistent quality, but China just has the ability to be of higher production. Those other countries have a little work to do in order to achieve Chinas capability.
Old 03-01-21, 01:30 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
Originally Posted by chancelucky
It seems like most of the major European countries have some sort of bicycling tradition: France, Italy, England, Spain, the Netherlands. It's strange to me that there's no bike maker or bike style associated with Germany, especially.
This has to do with the bicycle sport as such in the respective countries. If you look at the history of the sport, in movie documentaries, magazines, newspaper coverage of races, Germany simply doesn't figure.

I recall that in one of the last few TDF races, there was some talk about German riders, if they are successful, it might lead to having their own country team with German sponsor(s), which I take it, they don't have and didn't so far. It all has to do with overall German population enthusiasm for the bike sport.

Sure, some stellar performance of German riders in European races, best on home turf in Germany might or would lead to some rise of bicycling sport there, but all the same, it is doubtful that sporting base of a country could rest on such successes that of necessity come and go, are fleeting. In Italy, France, even if their riders sometimes don't figure in front positions too often, or even for extended period, it doesn't affect the general public enthusiasm for the sport. They are taken by the suffering, the heroism, no matter if the riders are not wining, they have respect for them all. It is simply not like that in Germany.
Likes For vane171:
Old 03-01-21, 01:42 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
Any Chinese trekking frame would be 100% better bike when fitted with a Rohloff Speedhub 14 speed IGH.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-01-21, 01:54 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
It seems like most of the major European countries have some sort of bicycling tradition: France, Italy, England, Spain, the Netherlands. It's strange to me that there's no bike maker or bike style associated with Germany, especially
since virtually any other sort of high end manufacturing would include at least one German brand name. Am I simply missing something or is there a reason? Of course, Bosch and Brose make a large percentage of e-bike motors, but even
then they don't brand their own bikes.
You missing something, or many things
Likes For Germany_chris:
Old 03-01-21, 01:59 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3129 Post(s)
Liked 1,698 Times in 1,026 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
This has to do with the bicycle sport as such in the respective countries. If you look at the history of the sport, in movie documentaries, magazines, newspaper coverage of races, Germany simply doesn't figure.
“Bicycle sport as such” includes UCI sanctioned Artistic Cycling, which German men and women have absolutely owned since the 1960s: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UCI_In..._Championships

Viola Brand, the reigning EU singles champ, has been blowing up on social media the past couple of years, too, and is legit celebrity enough to have been on the Ellen show!

Old 03-01-21, 02:26 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4929 Post(s)
Liked 8,062 Times in 3,811 Posts
I recall that in one of the last few TDF races, there was some talk about German riders, if they are successful, it might lead to having their own country team with German sponsor(s), which I take it, they don't have and didn't so far.
Not at all true.

There are currently 12 pro cycling teams based in Germany (and have been many others over many years), including current World Tour teams Bora-Hansgrohe and Team DSM. There are currently 34 German riders on World Tour teams, including notable names like Andre Greipel, Tony Martin, and John Degenkolb. Jan Ulrich won the Tour de France while riding for Telekom - German rider on a German team.
Old 03-01-21, 02:30 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Don't forget the most German brand of all: FES.
Old 03-01-21, 04:59 PM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,280 Times in 740 Posts
Canyon, Focus, Storck, Cube .... pretty nice bikes IMO.
Old 03-01-21, 08:59 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
My newest bike which I ordered is mega German like super German. Riese and Müller with a Bosch motor(batteries and display...), Rohloff hub, Abus Locks, Supernova Lights, Ergon Grips, SKS fenders, Schwalbe Tires, Magura Brakes, Acros Headset, Ergotec Mirror and bars (though those are getting swapped to Koga Denham). I will also probably have a Topeak saddle bag on there. (Addendum: will still have the bag as they make great stuff but after looking it up for chaadster I am realizing not a German company which I had been told in the past by a few folks)

Germany has loads of cycle companies amongst stuff mentioned here and more stuff as well. Kettler, Rose Bikes, Bergamont, FIXIE Inc., Fahrradmanfaktur, Biria, Drössiger, Winora, Stevens, Rotwild, KHE Bikes, Diamant, Prophete, Ruff Cycles...

Plus a whole host of customer frame builders (taken from theframebuilders.com)Also Tune components, Trick Stuff, Schmolke, Lightweight, Bike Ahead, Beast, THM, Continental and probably a bunch of others not mentioned.

Germany makes a ton of great parts and bikes. They are no slouches in that department

Last edited by veganbikes; 03-01-21 at 10:08 PM. Reason: made a mistake
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-01-21, 09:36 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
The story of the US bike industry prior to 1971 was department store bikes and Schwinn, and after that is production moving to the cheapest place as fast as possible, with a slight peppering of brands that started here and moved offshore too. Germany doesn’t really figure in here. I’m sure they have their own story, but it doesn’t get told here.
Old 03-01-21, 09:57 PM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Originally Posted by veganbikes
My newest bike which I ordered is mega German like super German. Riese and Müller with a Bosch motor(batteries and display...), Rohloff hub, Abus Locks, Supernova Lights, Ergon Grips, SKS fenders, Schwalbe Tires, Magura Brakes, Acros Headset, Ergotec Mirror and bars (though those are getting swapped to Koga Denham). I will also probably have a Topeak saddle bag on there.

Germany has loads of cycle companies amongst stuff mentioned here and more stuff as well. Kettler, Rose Bikes, Bergamont, FIXIE Inc., Fahrradmanfaktur, Biria, Drössiger, Winora, Stevens, Rotwild, KHE Bikes, Diamant, Prophete, Ruff Cycles...

Plus a whole host of customer frame builders (taken from theframebuilders.com)Also Tune components, Trick Stuff, Schmolke, Lightweight, Bike Ahead, Beast, THM, Continental and probably a bunch of others not mentioned.

Germany makes a ton of great parts and bikes. They are no slouches in that department
I didn’t realize Topeak is German!
Likes For chaadster:
Old 03-01-21, 10:06 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Originally Posted by chaadster
I didn’t realize Topeak is German!
You know I was double checking that because I had always heard it and am starting to realize maybe not so German. Shoot. Apparently a group of rouge Giant employees in Taiwan. Welp, If you don't know now you know, I guess.
Old 03-02-21, 12:03 AM
sincos

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 127 Times in 74 Posts

They're good in, um,
. That's got to count for something ...
Old 03-02-21, 05:43 AM
Troul 

isn't WAHOO German as well?

Wahoo & Topeak might be related if that is true...
Old 03-02-21, 06:48 AM
Dan Burkhart 

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 370 Posts
My newest bike which I ordered is mega German like super German. Riese and Müller with a Bosch motor(batteries and display...), Rohloff hub, Abus Locks, Supernova Lights, Ergon Grips, SKS fenders, Schwalbe Tires, Magura Brakes, Acros Headset, Ergotec Mirror and bars (though those are getting swapped to Koga Denham). I will also probably have a Topeak saddle bag on there. (Addendum: will still have the bag as they make great stuff but after looking it up for chaadster I am realizing not a German company which I had been told in the past by a few folks)

I recently did a build for a guy who wanted every component possible to be of German origin. He had inherited the bike from his father in law, and evidently he inherited a bunch of cash too, because cost was no object.
The parts list included, a Rohloff hub, SON dynohub, Magura brakes, Busch and Muller lighting, and Schwalbe tires. Had to go North American for crank and rims (Race Face and Velocity) due to availability, but he would have preferred those to be German as well.
Oh yeah, almost forgot, Connex chain.
Old 03-02-21, 07:25 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

You know I was double checking that because I had always heard it and am starting to realize maybe not so German. Shoot. Apparently a group of rouge Giant employees in Taiwan. Welp, If you don't know now you know, I guess.
Ah, okay, but nonethless the point stands that Germany is no slouch in the bike department!
Old 03-02-21, 07:25 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Germans don't do bikes? Get your head out of the sand.
Old 03-02-21, 07:34 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by sincos
They're good in, um, Radball. That's got to count for something ...
it might even be said that when it comes to fixed-gear bicycle sport, the Germans rule the category!
Old 03-02-21, 08:48 AM
tcs
Palmer

It seems like most of the major European countries have some sort of bicycling tradition: France, Italy, England, Spain, the Netherlands. It's strange to me that there's no bike maker or bike style associated with Germany, especially
since virtually any other sort of high-end manufacturing would include at least one German brand name. Am I simply missing something or is there a reason?
As an American club rider in the late 1970s, I asked the same question. Where was the West German equivalent to Raleigh, Peugeot, Motobecane, Gitane, Puch, ALAN, Colnago, Panasonic, Fuji, Paramount?
Old 03-02-21, 10:01 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Originally Posted by tcs
As an American club rider in the late 1970s, I asked the same question. Where was the West German equivalent to Raleigh, Peugeot, Motobecane, Gitane, Puch, ALAN, Colnago, Panasonic, Fuji, Paramount?
There are different types of questions mixed up here, starting with the OP and carrying through to responses. We’ve established that there is German cycling tradition, that there are German high-end brands and manufacturing, and that there are strongly German bike styles. The question you’re raising is something different, and I think largely has to do with the war, the division of Germany, and its post-war industrial development.

The war itself was crippling to companies; most industrial activity was deployed for the war effort, of course, but the loss of equipment and livelihoods meant some bike companies ceased during the war and never restarted. Many of the pre-war bike brands, like NSU, Wanderer, Express, and Steyr, were in what become Soviet controlled East Germany, and shut off from the western, capitalist inputs which drove the development of other EU and American brands. Germany’s economic recovery was not really in effect until the Wirtschaftwunder period of the 1960s, at which time those bike companies which did restart did so working in a country half the size it was, and were effectively decades behind other countries’ bike industries. The Marshall Plan was designed to rebuild European and West German industry, but there was not unfettered growth and some industries were not supported, or were restricted, and key supply industries were, in some cases, on the other side of the Iron Curtain creating crippling shortages.

In short, the WW2 was devastating, and the post-war development meant it was almost impossible for the German bike business to grow in the same way it did in the USA or other parts of Europe.
Likes For chaadster:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.