Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

"Men's Road bike"

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

"Men's Road bike"

Old 03-03-21, 11:05 AM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 2,324 Times in 1,374 Posts
"Men's Road bike"

That's all ad says. Seems to be an English as a second language situation and I can't get seller to simply photo the head badge or the decals elsewhere on the bike. And yes, saw rust (or dirt on logo on fork crown)

Any ideas??

Old 03-03-21, 11:21 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked 1,018 Times in 664 Posts
It looks like a pantographed fork crown, but this is not giving much clues. The frame looks like a racing style frame. Then it has plastic pedals. I like plastic pedals on some bikes, but this makes me suspicious of a lesser quality bike. I don't believe it was originally that way, but the owner went cheap with pedals. Some of the other components look good. It is a one piece forged (I think) crank and spider for instance.

The front wheel has a schreader valve and the rear a presta. The front wheel has nuts. It is a parts bin bike, that someone cobbled together.

Since there is no chrome on the rear triangle I am also thinking that the fork is not original to the frame.

Last edited by Velo Mule; 03-03-21 at 11:30 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 11:30 AM
WGB 
WGB

Velo Mule
I'm just wondering on who made the frame. Stuck in my head that I know it but can't place it so going nuts!
Old 03-03-21, 11:42 AM
noobinsf 

Bikes: '82 Univega Competizione, '72 Motobecane Grand Record, '83 Mercian KOM Touring, '85 Univega Alpina Uno, '76 Eisentraut Limited

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1088 Post(s)
Liked 1,204 Times in 700 Posts
I think the head badge looks like an "R," but not the stylized R of a Rossin.

It does kinda look like the Rossi head badge from the bike in post #18 in this thread: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...an-design.html, but I can't get a good look at the lugs on the blue bike in that pic. My guess is that the one in your pic is not hi-ten based on the finish of the lugs, but just a guess...

Last edited by noobinsf; 03-03-21 at 11:47 AM.
Old 03-03-21, 11:50 AM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3801 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

head tube transfer appears to be a letter R

down tube transfer clearly reads ROSSI

so frame at least nominally ROSSI

top tube brake cable guides appear Gipiemme

fork crown marking may be a Columbus dove logo

does anyone recognize the chainset, i do not straightaway, thinking maybe a relatively minor marque such as Rino, someone will recognize the triangular symbol...

both wheels nutted. it may be that cycle had been wearing some nice round things which owner wishes to retain so they threw these discs in just for the sale...

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-03-21 at 11:58 AM. Reason: addition
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-03-21, 11:54 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5885 Post(s)
Liked 3,468 Times in 2,078 Posts
If the price is right, I'd grab the bike and ask questions later.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 03-03-21, 12:15 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
Crankset appears to be a Miche Competition. Derailleurs appear to be Campagnolo 990. Crown logo does appear to be the Columbus dove. It does appear to be a Rossi and looks like one of their Guvin sourced frames. I can't say for sure but the frame looks like it may be better than the eclectic mix of mainly entry level components.

Likes For T-Mar:
Old 03-03-21, 12:27 PM
WGB 
WGB

He's at $300, as in not $299.99 but only $300 plus he's 50 minutes each way. So either it drops or I'm not in. Besides, I just bought a Brooks Pro for my son, some jerseys on here, a set of Dura Ace dt shifters and now I'm being hustled on a Hozan truing stand so will have to hold my ground..
Old 03-03-21, 12:32 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by WGB
He's at $300, as in not $299.99 but only $300 plus he's 50 minutes each way. So either it drops or I'm not in. Besides, I just bought a Brooks Pro for my son, some jerseys on here, a set of Dura Ace dt shifters and now I'm being hustled on a Hozan truing stand so will have to hold my ground..
-----

for valuation purposes it would be best to think of cycle as being without wheels and proceeding from there...

big thanks to T-Mar for the always outstanding information!

-----
Old 03-03-21, 12:38 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 779 Posts
Just a long-shot based on a vague memory, but I recall that in one tour de force from Maurice Moss he had examples of some frames that featured the "Columbus Dove in Oval" forkcrown as this Rossi sports and MAYBE that was a hallmark of Vetta frames (not Vetta the components brand, but an Italian frame builder). Does anybody with better brain cells concur?
Old 03-03-21, 04:04 PM
WGB 
WGB

Then we must disturb MauriceMoss !

Better not be a valuable frame. I just paid $250 Cdn for a Hoznan truing stand and a part group set of golden arrow stuff so my discretionary funds are melting away.
Old 03-03-21, 05:46 PM
juvela

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Just a long-shot based on a vague memory, but I recall that in one tour de force from Maurice Moss he had examples of some frames that featured the "Columbus Dove in Oval" forkcrown as this Rossi sports and MAYBE that was a hallmark of Vetta frames (not Vetta the components brand, but an Italian frame builder). Does anybody with better brain cells concur?
-----

yes, also recall the post by DCI Maurice

we need to keep in mind regarding the A.L. Colombo marked crown that it is a piece available to all, much like the situation with the Cino marked shells and bridges...

it can be a helpful clue when found in conjunction with others

one clue to Vetta-ness would be a peek at the underside of the beast's shell

-----

Last edited by juvela; 03-03-21 at 06:23 PM. Reason: addition
Old 03-03-21, 06:33 PM
sovende

Bikes: TNTL (Too numerous to list)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 147 Times in 115 Posts
Would be nice if the pics had better resolution so we could zoom in on the drive train and brake set. (Not everyone has T-mar’s experienced eye ).
I’d definitely pass on $300 and might not even consider $200! Too many unknowns . Agree with juvela that it may have been a donor of some easily harvested parts and built back up with leftovers from other projects.
Old 03-03-21, 06:38 PM
oldlugs

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Look at the location of the brake pads and how close the tire is to the seat tube.
I'm thinking its a 700c frameset with a set of universal fit 27" replacement wheels from the local bike shop.
They likely walked into the local bike shop and bought the cheapest set of alloy wheels they had, thus the nutted hubs and straight gauge spokes.
My guess is either someone just drilled the one to take a schrader tube, or the rear has a presta in a schrader hole.

The bike look rough over all, rust on the fork chrome, decals rubbed off, mismatched parts all over, etc. Unless its cheap, I'd forget about it.
$300 isn't cheap. If the few good parts on that bike are in as bad of shape as the rest of the bike, then there's not much to be had there.

If the wheels are straight, then you'll likely get $75-$100 for them used to someone looking for cheap wheels, but looking at the condition of the rest of that thing, I wouldn't count on it.
Old 03-03-21, 06:46 PM
seedsbelize 
smelling the roses

Bikes: 79 Trek 930, 80 Trek 414, 84 Schwinn Letour Luxe (coupled), 92 Schwinn Paramount PDG 5

Mentioned: 104 Post(s)
Quoted: 7081 Post(s)
Liked 901 Times in 612 Posts
I see a wrinkled headtube, between the tpp tube and downtube. Am I the only one?

Old 03-03-21, 07:22 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,052 Times in 779 Posts
Originally Posted by seedsbelize
I see a wrinkled headtube, between the tpp tube and downtube. Am I the only one?
could be...warrants close inspection, IF the price comes down to "reasonable" territory.
Old 03-04-21, 08:29 AM
juvela

Originally Posted by seedsbelize
-----

good eye!

enlarged image to the maximum for a look-see

leaning to the idea that it is just an uneveness in the paint finish...but then am wrong a lot

while there noticed the "ghost image" of a downtube transfer which appears to have read something such as "MASI" or "MOSER"; the first character is pretty clearly an M rather than the R one would expect for ROSSI or ROSSIN

what do others think?

-----
Old 03-04-21, 10:42 AM
Steelman54 

Bikes: Allegro Model 77, Gitane Team Pro SLX, Waterford R2200

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 38 Posts
Is it me, but one photo seems to show the front wheel with a presta valve and another with a Schraeder valve? If so, makes me suspicious combined with seller won't shoot a phone pic of head tube badge. Easy pass, there is always another seller and bike or car or whatever.. Just my couple of cents worth of opinion.
Old 03-23-21, 03:25 PM
Reid_Fleming

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Rossi

I can add to this thread, since I bought this bike as a spring project. It is indeed a Rossi, from Scattolon Cycle in Hamilton.

Frame appears to be the same as this one, though in rougher shape. *Can't link, since I'm new: bikeforums . net / classic-vintage/820856-vintage-rossi-frame . html

​​​​​​Columbus frame / fork. No serial number on the BB, but there are two stamps: "AL" and "55", which I'm guessing is the size. Anyone have a lead on the AL?

Low-end campy derailleurs (I think T-Mar is right about the 990's), Miche crankset, Modolo Corsa brakes, Artciclo seatpost, Alps stem. Total Frankenstein.

RF
Likes For Reid_Fleming:
Old 03-24-21, 02:10 PM
juvela

-----

thanks very much for posting

have you been able to read how the downtube transfers read when they were yet present?

thanks for any information...

-----
Old 03-24-21, 02:34 PM
Reid_Fleming

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

thanks very much for posting

have you been able to read how the downtube transfers read when they were yet present?

thanks for any information...

-----
From what I can see on this frame (and from the images on the thread posted above), they just said Rossi. Not sure if there was another decal with the model name, but it's long gone now.

Any idea about the "AL" stamp on the bottom of the frame?