Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

removing flat spot in vintage Super Champion rim

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-21, 11:49 PM
capnjonny 

Bikes: Miyata 610(66cm), GT Vantara Hybrid (64cm), Nishiki International (64cm), Peugeot rat rod (62 cm), Trek 800 Burning Man helicopter bike, Bob Jackson frame (to be restored?) plus a never ending stream of neglected waifs from the Bike exchange.

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 229 Posts

I have been trying to true an old Super Champion rim off of a early 80's Peugeot. I am a novice at wheel work so maybe I am missing something but there is a flat spot on the rim and even though I have completely loosened the spokes around the flat area the flat spot remains.
If I de tensioned all the spokes completely would the rim regain its original round shape?
The thought occurred to me that there might be a tool that would push the rim back in shape. Has anyone ever seen such a tool?
If I removed all the spokes is there any way to remove the flat spot? My guess is that the aluminum is fairly soft and should be malleable.
At what point is such a rim no longer usable?
Old 03-08-21, 07:06 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
If you have released the tension of the spokes in the are and the flat spot remains then the only choices left are to find some way of removing that flat spot or replacing the rim. The aluminium has a certain pliability, such as to absorb whatever impact created your flat spot, but I don't know how safe your wheel is today at around 40 years old.
Old 03-08-21, 07:19 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,398 Times in 1,932 Posts
Overland used to offer a tool to help with this. Results are seldom perfect, but may be an improvement. Perhaps an established shop in your area might have one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
overland-rim-true.jpg (64.6 KB, 90 views)
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 03-08-21, 07:39 AM
Geepig

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Overland used to offer a tool to help with this. Results are seldom perfect, but may be an improvement. Perhaps an established shop in your area might have one?
A bargain at $26!

I tend to saw up some old chipboard to create a positive and negative form, and use my vise and an incantation (wifie calls it swearing, but I insist).
Likes For Geepig:
Old 03-08-21, 07:49 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
A bargain at $26!

I tend to saw up some old chipboard to create a positive and negative form, and use my vise and an incantation (wifie calls it swearing, but I insist).
"Chipboard?" Like medium density fiberboard (MDF)?
Old 03-08-21, 07:54 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
The only issue with aluminum and bending cycles is fatigue and introducing brittleness with work. If the flat spot is severe enough to risk destroying the rim, go for it. Sheldon Brown posted a roadside wheel fix involving a pole, a hank of rope, and a spoke wrench. He did specify that it's not an ideal fix, but enough to get to a bike shop, or home.
Old 03-08-21, 08:27 AM
dabac

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1074 Post(s)
Liked 295 Times in 222 Posts
I think a previous member(FB-something?) said that some old rims were so soft that you could unlace the flat-spotted section, insert your foot and simply pull the rim out into round(ish).
I’ve never had any luck with that, but I have gotten good results using a wooden cradle and a C-clamp.
Old 03-08-21, 02:45 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...in case you are interested, there are still a couple of tools being made and sold to the European market that will help you work on flat spots in a rim. Back when I bought them, you had to order from a Euro supplier, like Hollandbikeshop.com We had a number of tools to work on older rims at the co-op here. From my experiences doing that over there and at home, it's pretty difficult to work out a flat spot in a box section rim...easier in a single wall rim.

If it's a Super Champion rim, make sure it has a bead hook before you waste any time on it.

At this point in my life, a rim needs to be pretty special to waste much time straightening it. It's almost always quicker to just build with a new rim, and the new rims are usually lighter and stronger.

https://hollandbikeshop.com/fietsger...slag-werktuig/
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-09-21, 02:58 AM
Geepig

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
"Chipboard?" Like medium density fiberboard (MDF)?
I suppose MDF would do, I just have a free and limitless supply of chipboard, AKA particle board
Old 03-10-21, 08:24 PM
KJK

Bikes: 2022 Trek Domane SLR 7, 2017 Ridley Fenix SL Disc, 1982 Bianchi Super Leggera

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Geepig
I've used the same method on an old Mavic rim. i didn't even take the tire off. A C-clamp provided the necessary motivation.
Likes For KJK:
Old 03-11-21, 01:24 AM
LV2TNDM

Bikes: Cannondale tandems: '92 Road, '97 Mtn. Mongoose 10.9 Ti, Kelly Deluxe, Tommaso Chorus, Cdale MT2000, Schwinn Deluxe Cruiser, Torker Unicycle, among others.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 279 Post(s)
Liked 207 Times in 129 Posts
I flat-spotted a single-wall Sun rim "back in the day." (I hadn't learned the importance of avoiding 'target fixation' yet!)

Anyway, I had the same issue, so I figured since the rim's considered "toast" at that point, why not get creative?

So I removed about six spokes from around the flat spot and grabbed some wooden blocks and a hammer. I supported the rim on the floor with wood blocks on either end of the flat spot. Then placed a block over the worst part of the flat spot and hammered it back to round. Tensioned up the spokes, trued the wheel and it was like new. (It obviously wasn't.) So I rode that wheel for about five years thereafter. Never had problems or broke a spoke. But a frame failure and subsequent warranty necessitated a new rear wheel, so it has been in storage ever since.

Given your description, I'd use the tool suggested. Can't believe I've never seen that one before. (learn something new every day) But be careful, I assume that rim's aluminum is VERY soft. Bend with care! But I'm guessing you'll fix it just fine. If you do use wooden blocks, I'd shape them to fit the curvature of the rim (on both axes) to ensure you don't just end up denting the rim locally and not actually pushing out the flat spot.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-21, 11:37 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
There's also the old belt trick. You loosen the spokes and you grab a old belt and sling it over a strong rafter and then tie up the belt over the flat spot. Then you simply pull down. I've also seen people use a post and tie it up and pull on it /pull down. Tie down straps also work good like this.
Old 03-11-21, 02:31 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
1. English wood vise.
2. Blocks of wood.
3. Use English wood vise as a hydraulic press.

That's what I do now...works like a charm.

=8-)

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Old 03-12-21, 01:35 PM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Cyclus makes another tool for pushing out flat spots
https://www.bike24.com/p292610.html