Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Bike Computer Repair

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Bike Computer Repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-21, 07:21 AM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Bike Computer Repair

When I retired in 2016 my kids bought me a Garmin 1000. It was a lot more bike computer than what I needed but I really appreciated what they did. I had been using Garmin 705 and was very comfortable with them. In fact I had two of them, one as a backup. I had even replaced the battery in both units and they seemed bomb proof.

I didn’t start using the 1000 right away. In fact, when I rode across the US not long after, I used the 705’s. At the time I didn’t want to put something new into play for the trip. But when I returned I started using the 1000.

The 1000 has a larger screen plus its touchscreen. I was skeptical of the touchscreen and thought it was probably something that would just cause trouble long term. However after using it for 4 years I didn’t realize how much I enjoyed using the touchscreen plus the larger screen.

However about 6 months ago the rubber power button on the 1000 disintegrated and broke off. It’s just a cheap poor design. I was able to keep using it by poking a small screwdriver inside the unit to power it up and down. However it wasn’t waterproof any more. Not long after the charging port starting acting up and sometimes it wouldn’t recharge.

I contacted Garmin and they no longer repairs nor carry more 1000’s. So I bought a Garmin 530. It does what I need but it’s a smaller screen and not touchscreen. While it has a lot of features The tiny buttons on the sides are hard to use while riding with gloves on. I sure missed my 1000.

After a little more research, I found a replacement back cover on eBay that had a new battery plus a new charging port. It was from China but worth the $50 risk. It also had the rubber power button. Fortunately the back cover was screwed on. And the screws were tiny T6 screws. Another $6 for a screwdriver set.

The cover arrived yesterday and the cover replacement only took 15 minutes. The biggest chases getting the rubber gasket reseated but I did it.

Anyway it powered up and all my data is there. I’m tickled to have my 1000 back up and running. I went ahead and bought another back plate for next time.

Last edited by jppe; 03-09-21 at 08:59 AM.
Likes For jppe:
Old 03-09-21, 08:03 AM
mpath
Recusant Iconoclast

Bikes: Look 695, Wilier Izoard

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 29 Posts
Great story! I'm not surprised that companies plan for obsolescence much quicker today and no longer support them, with the hope that you'd simply buy a replacement.

Speaking of T6 screws, years ago when I was changing brake discs on Saab (after GM bought them), one of the Torx screws GM decided to use was an in-between size that only their dealers had. Screw them (pun intended)! I searched everywhere for it (as a matter of principle, lol), but eventually found it.
Likes For mpath:
Old 03-09-21, 09:01 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1019 Post(s)
Liked 785 Times in 414 Posts
That’s cool. I love being able to repair things back to a usable state. But be prepared. Someday you may have to part with it. In the meantime...enjoy.

Dan
Old 03-09-21, 09:26 AM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
That’s great!
Support right-to-repair and hopefully we can keep our devices working longer and out of the landfill.