Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 03-11-21, 04:42 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by waterrockets
Moving from Defense software back to games..
Isn't that the same thing nowadays? We have a whole generation ready to fly drones or control first-person-shooter robots trained from video games.
Old 03-11-21, 08:24 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked 287 Times in 160 Posts
kensuf I'm actually considering the acura rdx. They're nicer cars than the v6 rav4 and are actually priced pretty well for the age and mileage especially compared to the premium for the rav4...

I think the v6 rav might be out because of how much it costs for the what it is. I guess people really want them now or something? A similar mileage car is only like 2-3k less than a 4 year newer rdx. Pretty silly.

I just want to get a car I don't have to give a **** about. That sounds more like the older rav though. Upkeep might be easier with an actual back for the car. My TLs trunk looks like shiza because I throw my snowboards on top of it all the time. I don't care about it because the body is already rusting so its not like any value is being lost.

I'll likely want to keep this till I start a big kid job. Even then it might make sense to keep it around as a hauler or mountain car that I don't have to stress about.
​​​​​
Old 03-11-21, 09:52 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Get a Toyota Sienna and remove the 3rd row. It'll fit a million bikes or skis, used you can get em for like 10k, it's a minivan so you won't mind beating the **** out of it, and since it's a Toyota you actually can beat the **** out of it.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-12-21, 03:39 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
I had a Sienna. No third row. We replaced it with a Gladiator, which I love. But that Sienna was the best vehicle I ever owned. I'd fit two bikes, two dogs, two weeks of gear. All inside.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-12-21, 08:00 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

BTW two flaws on the sienna

run flats and no spare - we flatted in Maine on a holiday weekend and the tire place was just outside the range of the run flat. We made it but just barely. We had to buy a regular tire since they didn’t have what we needed. Then because we had AWD we ended up replacing all the tires.

the second row seats don’t fold down but have to come out whole if you want to store them. They take up a lot of room and are heavy.
Old 03-12-21, 08:51 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Get a Toyota Sienna and remove the 3rd row. It'll fit a million bikes or skis, used you can get em for like 10k, it's a minivan so you won't mind beating the **** out of it, and since it's a Toyota you actually can beat the **** out of it.

no need to remove the third row. It folds into a cavity....the second row though needs to come out if you want to fit more than 1 bike. 1 bike will fit between the seats.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-12-21, 10:13 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I had a 2001 Sienna that I drove for 14 years and 185k miles, and I bought it used. Never a problem until right near the end, and then it was fairly minor things like some sort of sticky O2 valve if I remember right. I started to trust it a little less for long trips so that's when it was time to go. Had that loaded with bikes, ski gear, camping gear, etc.. many times, not to mention a family of 4 + dog. Even more space for everything when I put a Yakima box on top.

Edit - my Sienna did have a full size spare.

Last edited by cmh; 03-12-21 at 10:16 AM.
Old 03-12-21, 12:37 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
I'm still a tubular guy. For what I do it just makes sense. For the money 202 tubulars are still the lightest reasonably priced option. And since I'm only doing hill climbs, and I own them there's really no reason to switch. The thing is my twin TCRs could be the last bikes I own. Or the next bike I buy could be the last. In my mid 50s racing is a season to season thing. Hell, it might be a week to week thing. I really thought I was done after I got Covid last February. I live in a destination hiking locale, and once I started to mend I was pretty content with long hikes. The problem was my body didn't really like it as a singular pursuit. I was doing usually 40 miles over three days. In August I hurt my knee. In October I started riding in earnest and my knee started to get better. The long descents didn't agree with me. So now I'm on the cusp on another racing season. Granted it'll be 3 or maybe a half dozen hill climbs.

This is a minor interest of mine though, and I really long to have a lifestyle where I'm exercising simply for health and fun, and not drawn to competition. It's hard wired in me.

There's great mountain biking here. But it just doesn't inspire me to do it. I could build a religion around just riding whiteface the four months a year that's possible. And maybe that'll end up being my retirement plan.

I've long been fascinated by this Edward Abbey quote:

My own ambition, my deepest and truest ambition, is to find within myself someday, somehow, theability to do likewise, to do nothing - and find it enough.”

I'm not there. And I'm a guy who has devoted his life to meditative pursuits. I'm hoping I just continue to tip more and more in that direction, and an hour of exercise and traveling with my wife in the travel trailer will be enough. Maybe some birding again. I guess the 30-60 minutes I do of yoga a day and the three hours of silent meditation just isn't enough to wear away the competitive fires lol.
I don't remember if you ever knew Wayne or not. You have a lot in common with him. I remember you know Druber. Wayne and Druber were good frenemies. He's now 62 but was heavily racing through his 50's. Picked up a road national masters title in his early 50's. He started the buttonhole chamois cream company that I am now running. He moved out to Reno when the kids left college. Was working on some pursuit goal on the track with Curtis and the Texas Roadhouse crew but they gave up on that a few years back. Then he battled a lot of back issues and then hit the point where he had a procedure to try and solve it again and when he got back from the first ride he put the bike up and proceeded to sell every bike he had. He was always a rock climber, hiker, skier, etc. Now he's doing Kart racing and roller blading as well as immersing himself back again into skiing.

Super competitive but always trying to meditate and temper all of that and to keep his center. Fabulous guy and someone I consider part of my family. Sorry - just what you put out there seems eerily familiar. I respect the pursuit and believe I get it when it comes to the racing, etc. Respect.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-12-21, 02:24 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Our 2020 Odyssey also has some entertainment center issues. The biggest one seems to be somehow related to Android Auto. Switching back to FM sometimes just, doesn't. Other audio sources work, but the FM source sometimes just kinda gives up until you restart the car. Also have three recalls that I still haven't had done (nothing major, some sort of digital dash issue, an issue with the sliding doors freezing or something, and the backup camera getting water in the lens) because when I set it up the first time they didn't have parts, so I got pissed after driving all the way there and planning my day around it and haven't gone back.
We're on our second Odyssey. It's a 2014 that we got as a certified used from the dealer. It had been used as a customer shuttle for a year, so it was pristine and just getting broken in. It's been super-reliable. Beginning to show its age a little and the kids are going to be out of the house within 2 years, so I guess I'll have to trade it in for a mid-life crisis car.
Likes For caloso:
Old 03-12-21, 03:57 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
We're on our second Odyssey. It's a 2014 that we got as a certified used from the dealer. It had been used as a customer shuttle for a year, so it was pristine and just getting broken in. It's been super-reliable. Beginning to show its age a little and the kids are going to be out of the house within 2 years, so I guess I'll have to trade it in for a mid-life crisis car.
We're selling my hot hatch and keeping the more family friendly and useful crossover, but my wife has promised I can get a fun date night car again eventually. I'd love a Z4 or similar, I have a thing for roadsters. Alfa Romeo would be my first choice maybe but I dunno that I'd have the time. Maybe one of the new Jags, they're pretty sweet.

And our Odyssey has a spare. They got away from run flats a few years ago, and I'm glad. The tires are just plain worse at literally anything except driving without air in them.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-12-21, 04:46 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
We had a 2006 or 2008 that we took until it started to act weird and burn a lot of oil (blame me - I did the timing chain service and then 30-40k and the mileage dropped instantly then 30-40k later it was burning oil). She got a new 2019 or 2020. She loves it. I don't like it nearly as much. A lot of little electrical bugs that bother me. Engine runs way rougher than I am comfortable with but have been assured it's fine. I stay away form it. it's hers. I just drive my Element (last year of production 2011) and only have 103k on it. I have blown up the suspension components well by filling it every weekend to the top with race gear, tents, etc. but engine is fabulous and will run until the trans leaves me stranded. I never want to part with it and have been seriously thinking of filling a garage somewhere with solid Elements as they will end up being one of the more expensive collectible cars from the early 2000's. Such a huge following and for good reason honestly.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-12-21, 05:21 PM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Dad used to have an Odyssey... It was a tank and a half. Super dooper practical when my sister and I were going through school/college.
I can't see myself driving one as a daily. I'd consider it if I could have a second car just for hauling stuff and the mountains. I could probably sleep in the back of it with a tiny bit of doing if I really wanted to dirtbag it.

I can't picture myself driving one though... would rather have a wagon.

We're selling my hot hatch and keeping the more family friendly and useful crossover, but my wife has promised I can get a fun date night car again eventually. I'd love a Z4 or similar, I have a thing for roadsters. Alfa Romeo would be my first choice maybe but I dunno that I'd have the time. Maybe one of the new Jags, they're pretty sweet.

And our Odyssey has a spare. They got away from run flats a few years ago, and I'm glad. The tires are just plain worse at literally anything except driving without air in them.
Sounds like you two are getting miatas.
Old 03-12-21, 06:13 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by ridethecliche
Dad used to have an Odyssey... It was a tank and a half. Super dooper practical when my sister and I were going through school/college.
I can't see myself driving one as a daily. I'd consider it if I could have a second car just for hauling stuff and the mountains. I could probably sleep in the back of it with a tiny bit of doing if I really wanted to dirtbag it.

I can't picture myself driving one though... would rather have a wagon.

Sounds like you two are getting miatas.
I do love a miata, but I want something a little faster and fancier probably.
Old 03-12-21, 08:37 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8189 Post(s)
Liked 8,844 Times in 4,392 Posts

Last edited by big john; 03-12-21 at 09:02 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 03-12-21, 09:35 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Now those are mid life crisis cars.

I've always wanted an S2000 but I'm worried I'll never afford one the way prices are going. They're on a rocket, and by the time I want one they're gonna be air cooled Porsche levels of silly.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-12-21, 10:39 PM
big john

Now those are mid life crisis cars.

I've always wanted an S2000 but I'm worried I'll never afford one the way prices are going. They're on a rocket, and by the time I want one they're gonna be air cooled Porsche levels of silly.
Lots of S2000s on the web for 18-25K. That Porsche is a replica, lots of them under 30K. Corvettes from 1967-1972 are 20K and up, and I know how to work on them.
1997 and up Vettes are a possible turn-key midlife crisis car from 15K.
Old 03-13-21, 04:13 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Two bikes, one second row seat

I'm with the band.

One bike, two second row seats

One bike in. Third row folded. 1 seat in the second row out. We traveled with three adults at two big dogs

Last edited by gsteinb; 03-13-21 at 04:24 AM.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-13-21, 10:24 AM
ridethecliche
Batüwü Creakcreak

Woaaaahhhh
Old 03-13-21, 10:30 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Same seating setup a teammate of mine used with his! Fit 4 bikes, 2 passengers, and absurd amounts of gear. Ideal for stage races, ski trips, transporting instruments, clowns with extended families, moonlighting as a coyote, etc.
Likes For TheKillerPenguin:
Old 03-13-21, 10:40 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

I got a lot of money selling it with huge mileage, and it totally made sense. But I miss that thing. It probably wouldn't make a great tow vehicle for the trailer, but it sure was great for races.
Old 03-13-21, 11:09 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I don't remember if you ever knew Wayne or not. You have a lot in common with him. I remember you know Druber. Wayne and Druber were good frenemies. He's now 62 but was heavily racing through his 50's. Picked up a road national masters title in his early 50's. He started the buttonhole chamois cream company that I am now running. He moved out to Reno when the kids left college. Was working on some pursuit goal on the track with Curtis and the Texas Roadhouse crew but they gave up on that a few years back. Then he battled a lot of back issues and then hit the point where he had a procedure to try and solve it again and when he got back from the first ride he put the bike up and proceeded to sell every bike he had. He was always a rock climber, hiker, skier, etc. Now he's doing Kart racing and roller blading as well as immersing himself back again into skiing.

Super competitive but always trying to meditate and temper all of that and to keep his center. Fabulous guy and someone I consider part of my family. Sorry - just what you put out there seems eerily familiar. I respect the pursuit and believe I get it when it comes to the racing, etc. Respect.

After most of a lifetime viewing the universe through the lens of winning a competition it is challenging to shift towards something more like 'modest strenuous exercise to support health and well being.' People do it. Sure. Hell, people race and train without going all in. Some guys are so talented they can be awesome at lots of stuff and race at high levels without even fretting about all the stuff most serious racers hand wring over. Yes, it's all emblematic of the eventual stripping away of everything that everyone goes through. But still there's the reality that this thing that was important to me can't really be in the same way anymore. Lemond and Hinnault took up eating to replace the racing. I'm hoping for something else.

Last edited by gsteinb; 03-15-21 at 01:20 AM.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-13-21, 12:16 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
The two times we bought cars together since we've been married, I've started out saying a minivan sounded practical, but my wife's 2 absolute, uncrossable lines are no minivans and no station wagons. Not sure why.
Old 03-13-21, 01:55 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by himespau
The two times we bought cars together since we've been married, I've started out saying a minivan sounded practical, but my wife's 2 absolute, uncrossable lines are no minivans and no station wagons. Not sure why.
Those are probably my favorite two body styles. I wish they brought more wagons/estates from Europe but we don't buy them.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 03-13-21, 08:55 PM
big john

Those are probably my favorite two body styles. I wish they brought more wagons/estates from Europe but we don't buy them.
I had 2 station wagons, a Subaru Legacy that I leased when I lived in the mountains. I could put 2 bikes in there with the rear seat folded and the bikes on top of each other. And a 4wd Tercel which had a bike rack on the roof. With 4 bikes and 4 riders the thing would barely get out of it's own way, it was so gutless.

I had a 1980 Grand Wagoneer which was lifted and had big tires on it. I paid $1100 for it and used it to haul firewood and trash and have fun bashing around the woods. People would get out of my way when I was driving that thing.
Old 03-13-21, 10:44 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Originally Posted by big john
I had 2 station wagons, a Subaru Legacy that I leased when I lived in the mountains. I could put 2 bikes in there with the rear seat folded and the bikes on top of each other. And a 4wd Tercel which had a bike rack on the roof. With 4 bikes and 4 riders the thing would barely get out of it's own way, it was so gutless.

I had a 1980 Grand Wagoneer which was lifted and had big tires on it. I paid $1100 for it and used it to haul firewood and trash and have fun bashing around the woods. People would get out of my way when I was driving that thing.
I've only owned (for me, not my wife) 4 cars really (I had two others before I could drive but never really got to drive one except around the neighborhood, and never finished fixing the other, but neither was safe enough for my mom, an Opel GT and an Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce). 3 of them have been wagons or hatches. A 1986 Mercedes 300TD, a 1995 Volvo 940 Turbo wagon, and my Speed3. The only other was an Audi 90 sedan.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.