Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Don't Be a Jerk on the Bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Don't Be a Jerk on the Bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-21, 08:36 PM
silversurfer531

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
stop signs

where I live I avoid traffic lights. I do however ride a lot of streets that have 4 way stop signs. I usually slow down and check for traffic and go on thru. not feasible to come to a complete stop when 4 ways are every other block.
Likes For silversurfer531:
Old 03-13-21, 07:20 PM
LisaG71

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Your point seems to be that we should appease motorists. I don't see any reason to.
NO ONE is above the law. The road LAWS apply to EVERYONE using them.. cyclists included.

Thinking otherwise is just plain Ignorant.
Old 03-13-21, 07:31 PM
LisaG71

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Your point seems to be that we should appease motorists. I don't see any reason to.
NO ONE is above the law. The road LAWS apply to EVERYONE using them.. cyclists included.

Old 03-13-21, 07:38 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
Originally Posted by LisaG71

So at a trail crossing do you wait for the cars to stop or do you step out and assume they will since they are required to stop when someone is in the crosswalk?

There's such a crossing that I ride at and it has a manually activated blinking yellow light. If you wat for them to stop you'll be there for an hour.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-13-21, 08:32 PM
blue192

Bikes: Norco Scene 1, Khs Westwood, Jamis Allegro 3x

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 47 Posts
Okies I promise to not be a jerk on the bike. Off the bike however I shall endeavour to continue sending angry letters to my government.
Old 03-13-21, 09:07 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by rgppgr
My 4 grand daughters and I were riding to a play date when we came to a three way all stop intersection. We were stopped and I saw another solo rider approaching. Older gentleman in full dress coming fast. He gave me one look and never slowed down. I told the girls to go ahead and they took off. This guy grabbed both brakes and ground to a stop as the girls went in front of him. I looked at him again, He looked put out that he had to yield. Like from a fellow cyclist I was supposed to follow the law and let him slide. I loved it. And it was a good lesson for the girls. Keep your eyes on the surroundings. You never know when someone is going to cause a problem. Keep your head up.
except that you sent your granddaughters into essentially on coming traffic. what if he did not stop? or were unable to do so in time? my 16 year old daughter is currently getting driving experience before her test. when she is first in line at a red light i always tell her to wait for the red light runners to finish their thing before starting into the intersection because you never know and then it may be too late. it did not take too long for her to get what i meant.

bike *and* drive safe.
Old 03-14-21, 06:32 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by LisaG71

I am not quite sure what "above the law" means. If I get a ticket on my bike, I'll laugh and frame it. EVERYONE I know breaks the law irrespective of the mode of conveyance. EVERYONE. Every motorist I know will slow roll a stop, fail to signal, go a few mph over the limit on occasion. When people think they can break the law without endangering others and/or getting caught, they do. Beyond that, often when I break the law on my bike, I do so to enhance my safety. Yes, breaking the law can sometimes enhance rider safety. Thinking otherwise is naive.

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the lecture. Both of them.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-14-21, 10:58 AM
rgppgr

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
except that you sent your granddaughters into essentially on coming traffic. what if he did not stop? or were unable to do so in time? my 16 year old daughter is currently getting driving experience before her test. when she is first in line at a red light i always tell her to wait for the red light runners to finish their thing before starting into the intersection because you never know and then it may be too late. it did not take too long for her to get what i meant.

bike *and* drive safe.
Thank you for the heart warming story about your 16 yr old. And thanks for the essentials. You paint a very good fictional story of what you perceive. And thanks for the lesson on what to teach. After 6 grand daughters from 5 to 18 and not one accident I'll retrain them. Was it you trying to blow through that stop sign when there was traffic? You're funny. Lofty but funny.
Old 03-14-21, 12:09 PM
whipnet

Bikes: Fat

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 20 Posts
Just make sure all riders observe the law of physics first. Right-of-way or right or wrong, a car vs bike always turns out sour for the bike.

Old 03-14-21, 01:12 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,179 Times in 686 Posts
My 4 grand daughters and I were riding to a play date when we came to a three way all stop intersection. We were stopped and I saw another solo rider approaching. Older gentleman in full dress coming fast. He gave me one look and never slowed down. I told the girls to go ahead and they took off. This guy grabbed both brakes and ground to a stop as the girls went in front of him. I looked at him again, He looked put out that he had to yield. Like from a fellow cyclist I was supposed to follow the law and let him slide. I loved it. And it was a good lesson for the girls. Keep your eyes on the surroundings. You never know when someone is going to cause a problem. Keep your head up.
Thank you for the heart warming story about your 16 yr old. And thanks for the essentials. You paint a very good fictional story of what you perceive. And thanks for the lesson on what to teach. After 6 grand daughters from 5 to 18 and not one accident I'll retrain them. Was it you trying to blow through that stop sign when there was traffic? You're funny. Lofty but funny.
except that it was your description of what happened that made me respond. is what you wrote highlighted above fictional? perhaps you should clarify.
Old 03-14-21, 01:32 PM
rgppgr

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by spelger
except that it was your description of what happened that made me respond. is what you wrote highlighted above fictional? perhaps you should clarify.
I can't help what you perceive and it's clear to me. Again lofty and funny. Don't be a jerk on a bike. Can you say the older gentlemen was a jerk? Or are you still going into left field. That must have been you.