Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Will my bike always be a "beginners bike"?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Will my bike always be a "beginners bike"?

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 02:12 PM
ClydeClydeson

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked 921 Times in 518 Posts
KingoftheNorth Please give some more details about your bike and the club and/or the type of rides they do. As others have said above, we are struggling to see the whole picture without more details. If you show up at a group road ride with a mountain bike, you will not be made to feel welcome until the other riders trust you. Road riders practice riding very close to one another and 'road' bikes are designed for the necessary smoothness and ease of speed control that makes this possible. It takes a very skilled rider to ride a mtb in a group of experienced road riders and not get in the way or cause problems.
NB. This does not mean that all bikes must be $5000+, but that you are expected to have a similar style of bike - a '10 speed' from the '70s that you bought for $50 at a garage sale can generally keep up and ride safely with a road group more easily than a $8000 mountain bike.

OTOH If you show up at the trailhead where other mountain bikers are gathering, there will always be 'crap talk' (learn to take it, be prepared to give it back), but when the rubber meets the dirt, everyone rides their own pace and ability. On my local trail system there is no 'club' to join - just regular ride nights where up to a few dozen people show up, and the group organically breaks into faster and slower sub-groups. Faster groups leave the parking lot first so if someone gets dropped off the back of the group, that person will be collected by the next group. If you bring a bike that is insufficient for the terrain, however, you will figure that out on the first ride when the bike breaks or stops working. If you ride the same trails as someone else and your bike remains intact, and someone comments that your bike is not good enough, laugh in their face and ride away. It's helpful to have a cigarette or J so you can blow smoke in their face, too.
Likes For ClydeClydeson:
Old 03-15-21, 02:18 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
Also, it's been my experience that even obviously affluent cyclists rarely discuss the cost of their bikes.
Old 03-15-21, 02:28 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
Don't understand what that has to do with anything. I have changed email addresses during my more than 10 year membership and have not had to create a new account in order to post.
I tried changing my handle here and couldn't so I tried deleting my account here so I could start over, and couldn't. Any suggestions?
Old 03-15-21, 02:31 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigbus
I tried changing my handle here and couldn't so I tried deleting my account here so I could start over, and couldn't. Any suggestions?
Just make a new account and never go back to the old one.

I am on a photography forum and there is one guy there with two accounts.... Well, four actually; he only uses accounts #3 and #4 when needed, to deny any accusations that #1 and #2 are the same person. "Oh, I've met both of them and they are two different people!"
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 03-15-21, 02:49 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4943 Post(s)
Liked 8,082 Times in 3,823 Posts
Contact one of the Mods. Changing your user name should be pretty easy to them.
Old 03-15-21, 03:05 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Yeah. Read the rules. It’s covered there. Or at least used to be.
Old 03-15-21, 03:11 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
Contact one of the Mods. Changing your user name should be pretty easy to them.
Thanks.
Old 03-15-21, 04:03 PM
guachi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Also, it's been my experience that even obviously affluent cyclists rarely discuss the cost of their bikes.
I'd think most semi-serious cyclists would be able to tell straightaway if your parts were expensive. I'm into gaming PCs and there would be no reason for someone to tell me the price of their Geforce 3090 or Radeon 6900XT. We all know it's top-of-the-line expensive.
Likes For guachi:
Old 03-15-21, 06:50 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3664 Post(s)
Liked 5,412 Times in 2,750 Posts
This thread has potential....
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-15-21, 08:13 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I have no idea if this happened or not, I tend to think not. Others have given you a lot of very good insights and suggestions on how club rides work.

But you said you paid for professional coaching. Did you call your coach and ask him about going on this ride? I mean, no one here has a clue how you ride, and while I’m trying to process exactly what “professional” entails, I would think that person can tell you if you had the ability to hang with this club or not.

And if you are able, there is not a chance in the world you would pass on the opportunity to shut them all up and all their $$$$$. It’s a real life Cutters moment.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-15-21, 08:19 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
When i hear "starter bike" this is what I got for my grand daughter.

I already have her N+1 waiting for when she turns pro.

Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-15-21, 08:26 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Today I went into a cycle club....
Wait, this club has an actual club to hang out in?

They were probably looking at your bike and assuming you could not afford the dues.
Old 03-15-21, 08:45 PM
spelger

Bikes: yes, i have one

Quoted: 1136 Post(s)
Liked 1,182 Times in 687 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

I already have her N+1 waiting for when she turns pro.

Hey, that second one is just like mine! Tassels and all.
Old 03-15-21, 08:58 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by KingoftheNorth
Thank you for the affirmation.

Perhaps we need to ask why then the cyclists with $$$$ insist on telling people what they cost?

Frankly I really don't care what their bikes cost because Im quite happy with my own.
Pretty sure the bike will tell you what it cost based on the brand and components, people I know and ride with have never just advertised the cost of their bike unless asked. Have a friend that has a
Look 795 and I was interested in what he laid out for it, and he did not yell the price for all to hear.

Old 03-15-21, 09:06 PM
jaxgtr

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR 7 AXS, Trek CheckPoint SL7 AXS, Trek Emonda ALR AXS, Trek FX 5 Sport

Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 1,008 Posts
Originally Posted by GlennR

LOL...my boss has a 13 year old daughter and she was begging her for several months to let her have her hair colored for her 13th birthday. She finally gave in and said it could not be completely obnoxious. Her normal hair is almost white blonde, but these tassels look like her hair color.

Old 03-15-21, 11:56 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
The things that matter are the motor and, if you are riding faster than about 15 MPH, your aerodynamic position on the bike. All that other stuff matters a little bit, but not nearly as much as you are probably thinking.
Old 03-16-21, 04:56 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sug...e-changes.html
Likes For FBOATSB:
Old 03-16-21, 05:05 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 647 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta

They were probably looking at your bike and assuming you could not afford the dues.
My CX club was literally a club with a building, was sponsored by a couple shops and yes there were dues and such.
Old 03-16-21, 06:27 AM
mbpletcher

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
wow, you guys beat the poor guy into submission! he sounded kinda flaky but in a roundabout kind of way he had a valid question.

I rode a lot for several years by myself on a specialized hybrid bike. I always pushed myself hard when riding and enjoyed it a lot, but i knew very little of the cycling community. I went to a bike shop to look at road bikes because my bike was 20 years old and saw they sponsored a group ride and thought it would be fun to ride with others. I showed up on my hybrid and they only had two groups, the roadies and another group that looked like they wanted to talk more than ride. The roadies tried to dissuade me from joining, saying that my bike would not be able to keep up with them, and yes, they looked down their noses at me and my bike. i persisted and they begrudgingly let me join them and by halfway through the 30 mile ride some welcomed me warmly and some were pissed that they couldn't keep up with me. I love the fellowship of the group ride and usually join them once a week, but I also love the almost spiritual experience of the solo ride.

I have since purchased some bikes and have built some more and still ride a lot, even sometimes on my old hybrid.
Likes For mbpletcher:
Old 03-16-21, 06:43 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Originally Posted by jaxgtr
LOL...my boss has a 13 year old daughter and she was begging her for several months to let her have her hair colored for her 13th birthday. She finally gave in and said it could not be completely obnoxious. Her normal hair is almost white blonde, but these tassels look like her hair color.
13 year olds should be allowed to express themselves, as long as it's nothing permanent.
Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-16-21, 06:47 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
https://www.rapha.cc/us/en_US/clubhouses
Old 03-16-21, 06:57 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I did not realize until now what dirtbags all my cycling clubs have been.

Closest things we have ever had was someone’s dining room for board meetings and a brewery for club get togethers.

OP: they would probably not let me in, either.
Old 03-16-21, 06:59 AM
GlennR
On Your Left

Likes For GlennR:
Old 03-16-21, 07:55 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
I have ridden with numerous clubs over almost 50 years. Never has bike cost been a topic of conversation, let alone qualification for membership.

But if someone asks me, my answer would be, "new kitchen countertops."
Likes For bblair:
Old 03-16-21, 11:39 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Reasons why I ride solo. I don't wear Rapha. I will probably never spend thousands on a bike. Would I like something nicer? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I ride as far and fast (or slow) as I feel that day. Some days I push it and ride far and fast. Other days I ride short and fast, or long and slow. Ever since I got comfortable with that mindset I enjoy it a lot more. I have tried out some nicer bikes. They are nice, but not really faster than what I have. Ride what you like and have fun. And next time you see them on the road, perhaps it will be a fast day and you can wave as you pass the group.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.