Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Would you enjoy racing less...

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 03-18-21, 03:27 PM
Phatman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 50 Posts

If all of the gear was essentially the same? A lot of the people I ride with LOVE the techy aspect of cycling. Carbon this, aero that. It drives me nuts though. I won't go off on too much of a retrogrouch rant, but basically it seems to me like a silly zero sum game when fancier bike racing kit is introduced. "X" technology is introduced, everyone has to drop another grand or four on the tech, and now everyone has it, except for the poors, but who really cares about poor people so **** em.

Anyways, if there was a rule change to make everyone be basically on the same bike, and you really just had to focus on training and tactics, would it make cycling less fun for you? Lets for a minute forget about nuances related to fit and relative stiffness/weight for different riders. Lets say some genius level organization thought of everything perfectly, and all you had to do was buy your bike when you started racing and maintain it with standard parts. Would you still be racing?
Old 03-18-21, 03:40 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2502 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,567 Posts
first question no, second question yes
Old 03-18-21, 03:47 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
what's the question?
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-18-21, 03:54 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
OP, look up Japanese Keirin racing.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 03-18-21, 04:29 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Wouldn't interest me much. I don't have the latest and greatest, guess I'm one of those poor, but I have what I like and buy what I enjoy. In some ways the parts can be faster and in other ways slower but I still want to ride my bike. Could see at the pro level it mattering but even at the semi-pro it probably wouldn't be a big deal.
Old 03-18-21, 05:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

For Mass Start racing it doesn't make a big difference anyways. Fast tires/tubes and a good position on the bike are worth a lot more than the other expensive stuff. Oh, tactics and legs help too.

TT would be an obvious exception but for mass start it's like w/e
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-18-21, 05:20 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Originally Posted by topflightpro
OP, look up Japanese Keirin racing.
This also came to mind when I red the OP
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-18-21, 05:46 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Also Merckx category for TT's.
Old 03-18-21, 06:08 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
rant/ In NJ they do a non aero category. bring what you got. No disks, no aero bars.

I was going to do the eddy at the NYS champiosnhips a couple years back, and I'd have to have bought wheels for it. The idea it to limit impediments, not create more. /end rant
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 03-18-21, 07:21 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,839 Times in 4,390 Posts
They had a run whatever you want race at the velodrome here a few years back, I think like a 4K. A friend got second in the fiercely competitive 65-69 age group on his recumbent. His was the only 'bent at the event. He raced track for years when he was younger.
Old 03-19-21, 06:58 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
Also Merckx category for TT's.
I bet there are still folks doing that with fancy aero wheels, aero road bikes, the newest Spec Evade helmet, and a super nice San Remo suit. In Charlotte though, a guy did the Merckx class on a downtube shifter bike from easily the 1970's or so in classic looking kit. Uhm, dude did it at like 27mph!!!

As for "open" TT with TT bikes.......I'd move to duathlon instead if they got rid of TT bikes in road bike racing. The engineering, tech, problem solving is most of the fun for me with it. Take that away, it's just bashing on some pedals.

Keirin is the best current comparison. The reason for their equity is the sports gambling that it revolves around. You have that kind of money changing hands with betting, folks are going to be demanding some kind of standards to bet on.
Old 03-19-21, 09:01 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
I would still race if there was some definition of a standard bike that I needed to buy, but I wouldn't ever be in favor of it. It would be way more trouble than it is worth. Everyone would need their bike examined every race to be sure it abides by the rules (go ahead Doge - chime in about the immense hardship that is junior gearing). I can imagine driving to a race and being DQ'd for any number of reasons - your rims are too tall, aero bars, is that electronic shifting!, are you trying to race with a seatpost that isn't round! cheater! latex tubes! those save watts and not everyone can afford them!

To gsteinb's point - trying to standardize on a 'merckx bike' that anyone would have meant he would have had to go out and buy wheels with box section rims or something, making it more trouble than it was worth.

Also, don't think that this is some new phenomenon and all bikes were equal at some other time in the bike racing. There have always been the innovations of the day that made some bikes faster than others although we didn't have power meters and wind tunnels to measure the savings.
Likes For cmh:
Old 03-19-21, 09:35 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
I would imagine the earliest changes in bikes and tires made the MOST difference. Whereas today, we're on marginal gains.

GCN more than once has done a "budget superbike" for both road and TT to pretty fair success.

Even in Nascar with a pile of rules about making different cars "standardized" people over the years have gamed the rule book with ingenuity and cash. I remember stories of super long coiled up fuel lines to hold more fuel and their safety cage filled with BB's that were then released on the back of the track during a caution lap to free up weight.
Old 03-19-21, 10:28 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I think I know what you're trying to ask. My take - as someone in the industry who has more work to do when people buy new things -

I have mixed and contrary feelings.

I don't think gear/advancements makes a lick of difference to 99% of riders. I think almost all "gains" are wishful thinking mostly but can be compiled and stacked together for marginal gains.

I think tech makes rides way more "enjoyable". That's the true value in most situations IMHO.

I have watched fit racers riding 40 year old tech win way too many times for me to ever believe that tech makes the difference (i'll give you elite TT's or top level crits where we are talking about the racers on the pointy end of the results).

Keirins - best night at the track. I think the basic system of the Japanese Keirin schools and racing could be brought to the US and deployed strategically. It would need to incorporate betting and could be the only way we ever get velodromes or tracks out in decent numbers.

When you posted it I thought of Little 500. I never raced it but looked into the tech/rules manual back in the early 90's as I went to Purdue but grew up in Bloomington and my childhood friends were locals who were attending IU. They were allowed one non-student on their crew. I was going to be it but they bailed. I then raced the Purdue equivalent of Grand Prix (50 mile go-kart race) that followed the same idea of roughly spec gear. I then got into kart racing. Ended up with a driver who had a ton of success making it on to ESPN when they covered Kart racing out at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. He excelled at the Briggs class that was fairly heavily spec'd. Yes as a pure love of the sport those classes can make for some really good racing where skill and talent shine through....but I also find them boring.

The idea of me personally lining up in a category where the gear is spec and all of a sudden it has really become a stripped down fitness test is something that doesn't appeal to me at all. I was always a better mechanic than a racer. If that was my only option of racing I would leave it and that bothers me.

So I think tech doesn't make a difference but if it wasn't there and there was simply a stronger focus on physical talent I would leave racing. Weird. "The older I get the fewer are the answers that I know and the more OK I am with that fact"

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 03-19-21, 11:21 AM
Phatman

Originally Posted by cmh
I would still race if there was some definition of a standard bike that I needed to buy, but I wouldn't ever be in favor of it. It would be way more trouble than it is worth. Everyone would need their bike examined every race to be sure it abides by the rules (go ahead Doge - chime in about the immense hardship that is junior gearing). I can imagine driving to a race and being DQ'd for any number of reasons - your rims are too tall, aero bars, is that electronic shifting!, are you trying to race with a seatpost that isn't round! cheater! latex tubes! those save watts and not everyone can afford them!

To gsteinb's point - trying to standardize on a 'merckx bike' that anyone would have meant he would have had to go out and buy wheels with box section rims or something, making it more trouble than it was worth.

Also, don't think that this is some new phenomenon and all bikes were equal at some other time in the bike racing. There have always been the innovations of the day that made some bikes faster than others although we didn't have power meters and wind tunnels to measure the savings.
The practical aspect is definitely a massive impediment to implementation, I'm sure that's why it hasn't been done yet. As far as that particular Merckx TT is concerned though, if that was the standard, there just wouldn't be anything else sold so it wouldn't be an issue. He would've already had the gear.

And while I don't think bike advantages are a new thing, I do think that there has been more advancement in speed from equipment in the last decade or two than previously, and I think a lot of that has to do with ballooning bike prices taking them from being "crafted" products to actual engineered products with wind tunnel testing and FEA analysis where intelligent people can actually quantify what matters.

Originally Posted by TMonk
For Mass Start racing it doesn't make a big difference anyways. Fast tires/tubes and a good position on the bike are worth a lot more than the other expensive stuff. Oh, tactics and legs help too.

TT would be an obvious exception but for mass start it's like w/e
I think that it makes LESS of a difference with mass start racing, but a breakaway is basically a time trial, so aero matters. I haven't been in a crit in a few years, but when you see that guy with the skinsuit, shoe covers and the 80/90mm Enve's, that miiiighhhtt be a guy to watch if he attacks.

Originally Posted by Russ Roth
Wouldn't interest me much. I don't have the latest and greatest, guess I'm one of those poor, but I have what I like and buy what I enjoy. In some ways the parts can be faster and in other ways slower but I still want to ride my bike. Could see at the pro level it mattering but even at the semi-pro it probably wouldn't be a big deal.
I think things are currently more equal at the pro level, mostly because cost isn't really a factor. I'd be surprised if every bike in the grand tour peloton weren't all sub 7kg. With that said, since things are most equal at the pro level, maybe that's the place to start. I doubt the pros would care if you added 5 pounds of bike weight and put a max depth/material spec on their rims because they know that everyone would have the same gear just like before.
Likes For Phatman:
Old 03-19-21, 01:32 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

True, but even still those gains start to drop significantly as the number of riders in said break increases. I prefer all aspects of the breakaway life in my racing and generally play those roles in the SCNCA elite races. Starting, bridging, helping to pull back, and of course helping to drive it if I'm in it. Depending on the caliber of the field in the P/1/2 there might not be a whole lot of that from my behalf, but there is sometimes in less "big ticket" races.

It def. all adds up. I race on a venge with 50 mm carbon clinchers, fast tires w latex, aero bars, evade and speedsuit. Training is a TCR, box rimes, lightweight vented helmet.

At the speeds in a P/1/2 my solo moves aren't going to last long so I need to make it count. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't disagree with you , but the number of riders in a break does play a big part in the consequence of aero gains.
Old 03-19-21, 02:45 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by TMonk
True, but even still those gains start to drop significantly as the number of riders in said break increases. I prefer all aspects of the breakaway life in my racing and generally play those roles in the SCNCA elite races. Starting, bridging, helping to pull back, and of course helping to drive it if I'm in it. Depending on the caliber of the field in the P/1/2 there might not be a whole lot of that from my behalf, but there is sometimes in less "big ticket" races.

It def. all adds up. I race on a venge with 50 mm carbon clinchers, fast tires w latex, aero bars, evade and speedsuit. Training is a TCR, box rimes, lightweight vented helmet.

At the speeds in a P/1/2 my solo moves aren't going to last long so I need to make it count. I guess what I'm saying is that I don't disagree with you , but the number of riders in a break does play a big part in the consequence of aero gains.
I tend to agree with the breakaway being THE exciting part of bike racing, both on a personal level (cat 3 scrub 5 years removed, so more like cat 8ish) and in pro races. So do you think that if you didn't a badass aero bike you'd be less likely to attack? That would be a strange unintended consequence of making people ride un-aero bikes.
Old 03-19-21, 06:02 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
No and no. I'd like to think the guy that works the hardest wins, but as we know that's not always the case. Most of those guys buying 15 lb bikes refuse to actually train to the point they have single digit bodyfat percentages. They help some, but the results aren't going to drastically change either.

For reference, a few seasons ago I did the math and with a 300 meter run it to the finish an aero setup give you about a half a wheel advantage vs a non aero setup.
Old 03-20-21, 12:56 PM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret

For reference, a few seasons ago I did the math and with a 300 meter run it to the finish an aero setup give you about a half a wheel advantage vs a non aero setup.
If your math is correct, than this means aero has quite a significant advantage. I'm a middling sprinter (ok when I was cat 3, not at the front of real cat 1/2 sprints). Giving it a bit of thought and rough calculation, I'd say 25% of my wins in my cycling life were by less than 1/2 a wheel. I've also missed winning and missed podiums by less than 1/2 wheel margin on several occasions. I'm on an aero frame bike, with 50mm deep clinchers (50mm deep tubies for some of my career), so kind of aero, but not killer aero.
Likes For cmh:
Old 03-20-21, 01:15 PM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I'd still race, but I'd be relatively slower.

I find it interesting when people are as strong or stronger than I am yet run garbage tires or gear. Rolling up to a start line and seeing Gatorskins on some guys bike just makes me smile (though this has become rarer and rarer the last 2-3 years).
Old 03-20-21, 01:19 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Phatman
I "X" technology is introduced, everyone has to drop another grand or four on the tech, and now everyone has it, except for the poors, but who really cares about poor people so **** em.
It's not a poverty thing.
Old 03-20-21, 01:25 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by Phatman
I think things are currently more equal at the pro level, mostly because cost isn't really a factor. I'd be surprised if every bike in the grand tour peloton weren't all sub 7kg. With that said, since things are most equal at the pro level, maybe that's the place to start. I doubt the pros would care if you added 5 pounds of bike weight and put a max depth/material spec on their rims because they know that everyone would have the same gear just like before.
Nope. Some bikes are well north of 7 kg. To the point that teams spend their own money to ride non-sponsored wheels (Ineos)...

Absolutely the pros would care if you add 5 lbs to their bike. There's some extreme fanaticism in pro cycling (as to be expected). Equipment and clothing.

Quite a few documented cases in the last couple of years of guys riding non-team stuff. Some even quit their teams/don't resign over inferior equipment issues (Rohan Dennis the latest that comes to mind).
Old 03-20-21, 01:30 PM
rubiksoval

Originally Posted by cmh
If your math is correct, than this means aero has quite a significant advantage. I'm a middling sprinter (ok when I was cat 3, not at the front of real cat 1/2 sprints). Giving it a bit of thought and rough calculation, I'd say 25% of my wins in my cycling life were by less than 1/2 a wheel. I've also missed winning and missed podiums by less than 1/2 wheel margin on several occasions. I'm on an aero frame bike, with 50mm deep clinchers (50mm deep tubies for some of my career), so kind of aero, but not killer aero.
To toss in my anecdote:

Deep 58mm carbon wheels were the last of my aero upgrades. And I specifically got them because I had a season in which I had 7-8 different races that I missed out on either a podium or a win by half a wheel or less. I started totaling up prize money lost and realized it was significant enough to try and rectify. Plus I had an aero bike and aero handlebars and latex tubes and everything else on shallow aluminum wheels. Looked ugly and not fast (more important?).

Next season I only lost one sprint, and funnily enough, it was also by half a wheel. But on that day I had to have a front wheel change mid race so was on my aluminum wheel with a butyl tube... Makes me wonder...

Tires and tubes are still most significant for speed, but once you have that, all the aero bits start factoring in as well.
Likes For rubiksoval:
Old 03-22-21, 06:36 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I think Rubik hits on something we haven't yet discussed - the psychological effect of equipment. I know early in my career, I definitely let it get to me that some guys had better equipment and assumed that it gave them an advantage. And there was a comment from someone in track sprinting years ago that found that Zipp wheels tested faster than Mavic 5-spokes, but everyone wanted the 5-spokes because they felt stiffer and gave riders more confidence. And there was another comment in the story about if a rider loses to a guy on the same wheels, at least they know it wasn't the equipment that caused the loss.

Last edited by topflightpro; 03-22-21 at 06:39 AM.
Old 03-22-21, 12:25 PM
Phatman

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I'd still race, but I'd be relatively slower.
Relatively slower, like in comparison to the rest of the pack, because you would have the same gear as everyone else?

Originally Posted by rubiksoval
I find it interesting when people are as strong or stronger than I am yet run garbage tires or gear. Rolling up to a start line and seeing Gatorskins on some guys bike just makes me smile (though this has become rarer and rarer the last 2-3 years).
I've definitely flatted out of a break before, it was not a good feeling, after that I only used "normal" racing tires, not the superlight/fast rolling ones. Never run Gatorskins in a race, but I have used a Michelin Carbon on a back wheel. Then again, Michelin Carbons were unusually nice
handling training tars.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.