Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Carlton Capella Lugs but what Frame??

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-21, 03:38 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts

This bike has come up for sale and I’m trying to get more of an idea on the frame ID. I’ve identified the Carlton Capella lugs but with only these photos from the seller I’m at a loss for the frame.

Old 03-19-21, 04:03 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Serial number under bottom bracket?
My guess is that's a replacement fork.
Old 03-19-21, 04:11 PM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Originally Posted by gugie
Serial number under bottom bracket?
My guess is that's a replacement fork.
Haven’t been able to view the bike yet and the owner hasn’t replied to my request.
Old 03-19-21, 04:11 PM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 6,699 Times in 2,611 Posts
That rear dropout rules out Raleigh, which used Capella lugs on several models in ‘73. I’d guess a late 60s Carlton of some sort, but I don’t know much about their various models.
Likes For nlerner:
Old 03-19-21, 04:16 PM
daka

Bikes: Raleigh Super Course, Raleigh International, Raleigh Gran Sport

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 251 Post(s)
Liked 317 Times in 198 Posts
Concur on the replacement fork. Lack of chrome on the rear triangle and the lack of a brazed-on rear cable stop kinda rules out it being a Raleigh Super Course. Does anyone recognize those rear dropouts?
Likes For daka:
Old 03-19-21, 04:16 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

unlikely frame would have been fabricated with this stamped sheet welded crown

when replacement fork present one always should closely scrutinize down & top tubes for deformation sign

seat stay bridge appears it may have been collapsed by brake mount bolt

frame at this level may have been constructed with Tru-Wel tubing

headset Brampton with floating U-races, takes 1/8" ball

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-19-21, 04:23 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by daka
Concur on the replacement fork. Lack of chrome on the rear triangle and the lack of a brazed-on rear cable stop kinda rules out it being a Raleigh Super Course. Does anyone recognize those rear dropouts?
Those rear dropouts I recall seeing similar before, but not on a Carlton or Raleigh. the chainstay cable stop is not working with it either.
no headbadge mount holes it appears... or even filled holes.
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-19-21, 04:27 PM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by repechage
Those rear dropouts I recall seeing similar before, but not on a Carlton or Raleigh. the chainstay cable stop is not working with it either.
no headbadge mount holes it appears... or even filled holes.
Yep, thought it strange that there was no rivet holes from the head badge. This frame is waaaaay older than anything I own so feeling out of my depth. Thanks for all your comments.
Old 03-19-21, 06:05 PM
uncleivan 

Bikes: '92 MX Leader, 84 Colnago Mexico, 85 Recherche, 86 Panasonic ATB Pro, 88 Roberts, 80 moser... ect

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 67 Posts
The 1977 Soma competition had a fork like that.
Likes For uncleivan:
Old 03-19-21, 07:06 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,800 Times in 2,284 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
That rear dropout rules out Raleigh, which used Capella lugs on several models in ‘73. I’d guess a late 60s Carlton of some sort, but I don’t know much about their various models.
Dunno, lotta Super Courses have Capella lugs, and who knows what dropouts Nigel had laying around that day? But Carlton would be my guess as well.
Old 03-19-21, 07:07 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26419 Post(s)
Liked 10,380 Times in 7,208 Posts
...the Capella lug design came out in about '59 or '60, and showed up on a lot of Carlton frames up through about '65 ('66 ?)
Most of the higher end Carlton's that used a rear derailleur I've seen had hangers integral to the dropout.

But there were some of them from that time period ('59-'65). like the Catalina and the Corinthian, that did not.
So I'm guessing either a Catalina (which came with a derailleur setup), or maybe some IGH three speed that's been modified over the years.

Both off those had relatively long chainstays, like your frame. Here's a '65 Catalina for comparison.

So by then, not real similar. Chainstay attachment is wrapped, not that concave cap like yours. Different dropouts.
Almost every Carlton bike I've ever seen had chrome fork ends, so I'm at a loss to identify yours. Carlton Catalogs online seem rare.
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 03-19-21, 09:42 PM
Pcampeau

Bikes: 1968 Raleigh Super Course, 1972 Raleigh Professional, 1975 Raleigh International, 1978 Raleigh Professional, 1985 Raleigh Prestige, 1972 Schwinn Paramount, 1980 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, 1960 Carlton Franco Suisse Peugeot PX10, 1972 Motobecane Le Champ

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 323 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 351 Posts
The bike looks really tall for a late 50s or 60s Carlton Capella or Catalina. Didn’t they top out around 23 1/2” back then? This looks look like a 24 1/2” frame. What did they make in this size with Capella lugs? I could be mistaken but I thought that’s what the Longfellow model was for. I don’t think the Carlton Longfellow ever came with those lugs. The only thing I can think of are 73 Raleighs. I’ll say this, those stay caps look decisively Raleigh. I’ve never seen a Carlton that wasn’t a Raleigh with stay caps like that. Perhaps the bike is just a hacked up 73 Super Course? It’s missing the brake bridge, those dropouts are weird, and the headbadge Impression isn’t right for Carlton or Raleigh, but the area does look to me to be filed a bit. I certainly could be wrong.....maybe it’s something I’ve never even heard of before.

Last edited by Pcampeau; 03-19-21 at 10:09 PM.
Likes For Pcampeau:
Old 03-20-21, 05:10 AM
Prowler 

Bikes: 2 Trek Mtn, Cannondale R600 road, 6 vintage road bikes

Mentioned: 83 Post(s)
Quoted: 472 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 404 Posts
Originally Posted by juvela
-----

seat stay bridge appears it may have been collapsed by brake mount bolt ---
Is the brake bridge crushed or are we just seeing little of it because they used the curved "moon washers" on both sides? Looks like the later to me.
Old 03-20-21, 07:13 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1857 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
Dunno, lotta Super Courses have Capella lugs, and who knows what dropouts Nigel had laying around that day? But Carlton would be my guess as well.
Didn't the early Super Courses come from Carlton? I think I saw the S-C in Chicago shops probably around 1969.

Last edited by Road Fan; 03-20-21 at 07:17 AM.
Old 03-20-21, 08:02 AM
repechage

Those dropouts had me thinking... I have seen them lots of times before while working at a shop in the 1970’s

first guess... Bingo
my guess the bike has been repaired.
the Dropouts are from a Nishiki Olympic
or at least same supplier.

notice too that the seat stays are terminated at the dropout very differently than the chainstays.
usually they are handled in a similar manner.
a chance that instead of sloppy brazing, the seat stays at the seat lug have been reworked.
quite a bit of work for a unknown level of bike.
my father had a Carlton Catalina way back, this is not, only the primary lugs match.
they did reappear on Super Courses, competitions and a few internationals later
don’t Win at the match game either

Last edited by repechage; 03-20-21 at 08:10 AM.
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-20-21, 03:10 PM
MarkinOz

Those dropouts had me thinking... I have seen them lots of times before while working at a shop in the 1970’s

first guess... Bingo
my guess the bike has been repaired.
the Dropouts are from a Nishiki Olympic
or at least same supplier.

notice too that the seat stays are terminated at the dropout very differently than the chainstays.
usually they are handled in a similar manner.
a chance that instead of sloppy brazing, the seat stays at the seat lug have been reworked.
quite a bit of work for a unknown level of bike.
my father had a Carlton Catalina way back, this is not, only the primary lugs match.
they did reappear on Super Courses, competitions and a few internationals later
don’t Win at the match game either
​​​​

Wow. repechage you’ve out done yourself here! Great investigative work on these drop outs. It looks like the same brazing at the chainstay and then with the Seat lugs. Definitely different brazing on the seat stays.

I’ll still go and take a look regardless but thinking the possibility of finding a positive ID for the frame has diminished some what.
Old 03-20-21, 04:15 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1176 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,074 Posts
<snip> my guess the bike has been repaired.
the Dropouts are from a Nishiki Olympic or at least same supplier.
When I first saw the OP's pics, I immediately thought the dropouts looked Japanese, but I didn't say anything because that seemed so unlikely. Of course name-brand forged dropouts from Japan, like Shimano and Suntour, have been used on all nationalities of frames. But a cheap stamped Japanese dropout like this, on an English-made frame? That would be a new one on me.

I'm not sure I like the "repair" theory though, unlikely that someone going to the trouble and expense of a frame repair would use these cheap dropouts.

My money is on some UK frame shop (probably Carlton) ordered in some Japanese dropouts for this lower-to-mid-level frame. Maybe due to a temporary shortage of domestic stamped dropouts during the Bike Boom?

I have some raw Capella lugs, and if I could get them, then of course other people could too, so the builder doesn't need to be Carlton.

Mark B
Likes For bulgie:
Old 03-20-21, 04:24 PM
MarkinOz

Originally Posted by bulgie
When I first saw the OP's pics, I immediately thought the dropouts looked Japanese, but I didn't say anything because that seemed so unlikely. Of course name-brand forged dropouts from Japan, like Shimano and Suntour, have been used on all nationalities of frames. But a cheap stamped Japanese dropout like this, on an English-made frame? That would be a new one on me.

I'm not sure I like the "repair" theory though, unlikely that someone going to the trouble and expense of a frame repair would use these cheap dropouts.

My money is on some UK frame shop (probably Carlton) ordered in some Japanese dropouts for this lower-to-mid-level frame. Maybe due to a temporary shortage of domestic stamped dropouts during the Bike Boom?

I have some raw Capella lugs, and if I could get them, then of course other people could too, so the builder doesn't need to be Carlton.

Mark B
Thanks bulgie, I like your theory. I’ll take some more pictures and see how we go from there.
Old 03-20-21, 05:35 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by bulgie

Mark B
As you, trying to figure out a scenario to fit the metalwork. Yes, the Capella lugs were on "the market" a number of years ago, I should have bought a set, Brian Baylis did and turned them into amazing pieces that became part of a frame.
Back to the frame as shown- if a Carlton, very odd no witness of a headbadge. The seat stay tops are curious. No centerpull brake bridge. The chainstay stop is not what I associate with Carlton or Raleigh for that matter. Japanese parts on a British frame... Possible, of course, maybe even samples. (This is the first frame with Capella lugs that I have seen so built, not stating that they are not original, just they look really unique)
The LH side seat stay top brazing is a mess. Maybe a closeup of that may encourage or dispel a frame repair.
then there is the obverse, send the lugs to japan for a concept sample. (low probability, but Raleigh did later source bikes built in Japan, initially as Rampar, and those did not have a headbadge. The chainstay cable stop also looks like it is flooded with brass, maybe the dropout to chainstay joint too?

Last edited by repechage; 03-20-21 at 05:39 PM.
Likes For repechage:
Old 03-20-21, 10:04 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Um...not to throw too much cold water, but I'm not 100% sure those DOs are SunTour (Maeda), the "Carlton" look very close but the edges appear to be sharper than the radiused edges (and thicker-appearing material) of the SunTour/Nishiki, which may have been "stamped" but show signs of extra manufacturing steps. The "Carlton" DOs look plain stamped from flat stock...but we SURE could use some sharper close-ups
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 03-21-21, 01:21 AM
repechage

Correct- here is an image from a Nishiki Rally, the bottom of the line about 1975-76

Likes For repechage:
Old 03-21-21, 06:39 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,325 Times in 837 Posts
For what it's worth for comparison, here are pix of my 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse. Mine has vertically oriented rivet holes for a head badge, which is missing, but I did obtain a couple of head badge decals that have about the same shape as the paint spot on the OP's head tube.

Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Likes For John E:
Old 03-21-21, 11:38 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,062 Times in 787 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
For what it's worth for comparison, here are pix of my 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse. Mine has vertically oriented rivet holes for a head badge, which is missing, but I did obtain a couple of head badge decals that have about the same shape as the paint spot on the OP's head tube.

Those DOs are "CYCLO", branded underneath the serial numbers but still visible.
Old 03-21-21, 01:48 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 3,338 Times in 2,178 Posts
-----

MarkinOz -

in case you make a visit to see the bicycle one simple check you could make which might be confirmatory of a Carlton origin would be to measure the bottom bracket shell width

if ~66.5mm rather than the 68mm one might expect that would be suggestive of a Carlton product

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 03-21-21, 05:47 PM
MarkinOz

Able to take a couple of photos but this was confirmed as a backyard build by a relative of the seller. No visible serial numbers on BB or lugs, mixture of Suntour VX, Shimano Arabesque and Sugino Crankset.

Likes For MarkinOz:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.