Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Being harassed while riding the roads

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Being harassed while riding the roads

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-21, 07:02 PM
nel e nel

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Hardrock Disc; 199? Royce Union freestyle bike; 2021 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by m2244
I had a similar discussion with a lady recently. We all know quite well what the term has come to mean in our society over the past couple of decades, and it isn't coal miners nor farmers.
It’s always been a pejorative for uneducated rural folks. Union coal miners adopted it for a very short period of time because they wore red neckerchiefs. Uninformed conservatives like to try and use it as a gotcha against liberals to try and paint them as anti-union.
Old 03-30-21, 09:30 AM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Imagine that. The OP gives a trolling rant about harassment, lumps the perps into a group for easy targeting, and then spurs us to argue with one another about who the boogie man really is. How'd that work out?

Next time, don't take the bait. We've met the bad guy, and he is us.
Likes For Phil_gretz:
Old 03-30-21, 09:43 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2601 Post(s)
Liked 1,925 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
Imagine that. The OP gives a trolling rant about harassment, lumps the perps into a group for easy targeting, and then spurs us to argue with one another about who the boogie man really is. How'd that work out?

Knee jerk: No I'm not!

After a moment's thought: good summary.
Old 03-30-21, 01:52 PM
GBK233

Bikes: 2020 Giant Advanced 2, 2020 Giant Contend AR1

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 34 Posts

Trolling rant??? I posted because of a couple idiots being idiots while I was riding.

I have never ridden the roads on a bicycle, so was just curious to see if others have been bothered while riding....or I’ve just had a spate of bad luck.
Old 03-30-21, 02:41 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
I've always felt like it should be legal for Cyclists to travel against the flow of traffic on a highway as long as they are on the shoulder.
What happens when you encounter another cyclist riding in the opposite direction? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-30-21, 04:07 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,963 Times in 1,913 Posts

bout to mount me one of these bad mammajammas! Get ready world, I'm soon to be prepared for getting loud back!
Old 03-30-21, 06:37 PM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
yesterday a cyclist was coming my way in the bike lane near a tent city, i don't blame him for ignoring bike laws, least of his worries, so i checked the lane next to me to see if i could borrow it for a while as he passed. the lane was clear, i went out for a while, an SUV swerved from the lane next to me and came about a foot from me, obviously saying that he did not like cyclists hogging the road, even if he did have his own lane.

i caught him at the light and did nothing. he is spiritually sick, there is probably a reason for this, so i said a prayer for the poor sob and moved on. incident over, i have no resentment, i can enjoy my ride without guilt of hassling someone, without a physical confrontation, jail time, a law suit, bad karma, broken knuckles, a hospital bill,

don't let something freeze you in time .. my mind is occupied. no vacancy for outside BS.

got an unfair traffic ticket one time. made a court appointment. fought the case and won. but for 2 months, all that was on my mind was that stupid cop who tried to frame me. i could have been thinking about a million other nice things, but i choose to let myself be occupied with negative energy. i will never get those two months back, they are gone forever.

so our motto? cease fighting anyone or anything. that includes myself.

i remember once, after being tailgated real close, that i was gonna train every driver in the bay area with a brake check if they tailgate. let's see, how many drivers are there in the bay area, about 8 million? at 3 brake checks a day that will only take me 7,326 years. but i have to prove my point, what will my ego think of me?
Likes For cjenrick:
Old 03-30-21, 07:53 PM
Mark Dominck

Bikes: Gino Liotto,Kuoto Kharma, Vitus 979, lemond,specialized Tarmac, Austro Daimler Pacifica

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 24 Posts
I agree with rydabent find a more bike friendly place to ride. I have a nice place close to home but I drive my car 30 minutes with my bike in the back to a much more suitable place it's much more enjoyable for me and definitely safer. make it easier on yourself.
Likes For Mark Dominck:
Old 03-30-21, 09:25 PM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by tomato coupe
What happens when you encounter another cyclist riding in the opposite direction? Sounds like a recipe for disaster.
Same thing when super fast cyclists come up on really slow cyclists traveling in the same direction. One pulls over and lets the other pass. Except on a Highway you will see them coming from miles away so there will be no surprises.
Old 03-30-21, 10:11 PM
tomato coupe

Bikes: Colnago, Van Dessel, Factor, Cervelo, Ritchey

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 3947 Post(s)
Liked 7,291 Times in 2,945 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
Same thing when super fast cyclists come up on really slow cyclists traveling in the same direction. One pulls over and lets the other pass.
Who in the heck does that?
Likes For tomato coupe:
Old 03-30-21, 11:17 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
My wife and I debated what constitutes a close pass just this weekend. We both ride on roads regularly and exclusively.

The scenario was a straight, undulating, single lane road with no shoulder. Double yellow center stripe with a speed limit 45 mph and I'm driving. There are no other cars. As we approach a solo rider (who is keeping a nice smooth line just within the fog line), I coast to slow to 30 mph and give him about 3 feet and pass and then begin to accelerate again. Smooth.

My wife comments that I passed too closely, and that I should have moved into the oncoming lane (partially) to give him more room, as an unforeseen piece of debris or stone might've caused him to lurch sideways at the wrong moment. We continued to debate this for the next 5 minutes down the road, alternatively taking the viewpoint of both the rider and the driver. Neither of us yielded in the end.

I wonder what the solo rider thought about it. Likely nothing...

EDIT: To the OP, in 45+ years of riding, I've never been harassed as you just described. Maybe some changes for you are in order?
your wife was more right. Better to give a little extra room than too little. Besides the yellow line is not made of gold. Now tell her she has ally on the board.

Old 03-30-21, 11:25 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2577 Post(s)
Liked 5,625 Times in 2,914 Posts
Get a bike rack and drive your bike to a nice safe place to ride. A minor inconvenience for your sanity and possibly avoiding a prison sentence for assault.

Likes For rsbob:
Old 03-30-21, 11:32 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Well, when 80% (anecdotal statistic) of the discussions I've ever had regarding cyclists being put in danger/crowded/frightened have involved a person in a large truck and often with some sort of redneck pride declaration on their bumper, yeah, give me educated Lexus drivers every day of the week.
So cringeworthy
Old 03-30-21, 11:34 PM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by GBK233
Trolling rant??? I posted because of a couple idiots being idiots while I was riding.

I have never ridden the roads on a bicycle, so was just curious to see if others have been bothered while riding....or I’ve just had a spate of bad luck.
We get it OP.
You know nothing about riding on the road
Likes For downhillmaster:
Old 03-31-21, 08:49 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
I had a similar discussion with a lady recently. We all know quite well what the term has come to mean in our society over the past couple of decades, and it isn't coal miners nor farmers.
Still funny how some people have prostituted the word for their own use.
Old 04-05-21, 11:40 AM
Trek6500

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been slapped in the ass once, run off the road and hit once with a hospital stay. Since then, I hardly ride. But when I do, I am hugging the curb and always share the road. That said, where I live, I find that the Senior Citizen Tour de' Bergen County peloton riders to be the most hoggish, "I'm not sharing the road" riders I've ever seen. I've come across them entirely blocking 2 lanes on a 4 lane road. I think both cyclists and motor vehicles need to learn to share the road and be courteous towards one another.
Old 04-05-21, 11:53 AM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
My friend was killed by being struck by a truck mirror. Don’t mess around.
Old 04-05-21, 01:02 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
^ was this negligence, or vehicular assault? Were charges filed? This is the worst possible scenario...
Old 04-05-21, 01:03 PM
Ed333

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
You mentioned a bicycle painted on the roadway...is that a sharrow, meaning bikes may take the full lane? Do you have that in NY? Also , we have a state law in Maine, motor vehicles passing a cyclist or pedestrian must give them minimum 3' clearance, and it is ok to cross center line to do so. If unable to cross center line because of oncoming motor vehicles, the motorist is supposed to slow and wait until it is safe to do so. Do you have such a law? If so, the mirror incident should be reported to police. I never got a helmet camera, but I can see the utility in having one.
Old 04-05-21, 01:18 PM
mirfi

Bikes: Vilano Urbana, DownTube FS9, Montaque paratrooper, Nano mini-velo, Motobecane CX, Raleigh 20, MIFA folder, ROG Pony, Iverson Grand Touring folder, Exclusiv German folder

Quoted: 168 Post(s)
Liked 191 Times in 119 Posts
Life in Baltimore, Maryland

https://www.wbaltv.com/article/teen-...case/20088958#

Robert Ponsi was murdered, two teens were "sentenced" to a total of eight years. Currently all are back on the streets.

To hear that one of my cyclist friends has been beaten and robbed is getting almost commonplace.
Old 04-05-21, 01:28 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
^ was this negligence, or vehicular assault? Were charges filed? This is the worst possible scenario...
The driver, an ex cop driving a large truck, was charged with negligent homicide but acquitted by a jury. His attorney argued that my friend could have veered into him despite witnesses to the contrary. He was the safest cyclist I’ve known as well as an all-around decent human being.
Old 04-05-21, 02:59 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I ignore the mouth breathing four wheelers. Ne need to feed the road rage.
Old 04-05-21, 03:48 PM
drsmoooth

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 25 Posts
I was in a group ride and we were on the bike trail about 18ft from the road. A car drives by and throws a water bottle at us. There are some very unhappy people out there.
Old 04-05-21, 06:32 PM
RidesaCarlton

Bikes: 1962 Estermann, 1962 English something, 1971 Carlton, 1972 Colnago, 1972 Pogliaghi, 1979 Nishiki, and 1982 Cambio Rino

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts
The city I live in has some peculiar ideas about bike lanes. In the centre of downtown, there is a road, that has also been labled as a bus or bicycle only road. OK, I rode it a few times. There is only room of one bus, or one bike. They can't pass without going into the opposite direction lane. A bus decided to be ignorant. Two can do that, and I just moved into the centre of the lane, and continued at 8 MPH (Mountain bike). He followed me about 6 inches from my back tire for about 3 blocks. I decided I didn't care. Being ignorant is no fun, even when I'm in the right. I now avoid that road because regular traffic is safer.
Old 04-05-21, 07:02 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Quite frankly, we have it good today. When I started riding back in 1975, us riders frequently had bottles, cans and other trash thrown at us. Not out of malice but just thinking it's funny. We got pushed off the road and one time for me, I got run off a bridge and fell 10 feet down into a creek. I road home soaking wet when it was in the 40's. No cell phone to call home and no payphone to make a call in the countryside.

There were no bikes lanes, at least not in any place I lived in back then. There wasn't the proliferation of riders either. So a motorist seeing a cyclist out on a country road was a rarity, at least where I lived.

My opinion on the situation today centers around one main issue: We are our own problem.

There are a few riders that ride my same route who routinely run red lights, stop signs, fail to yield and take up an entire lane at rush hour. Who does this?

There are a lot of advocate riders out there that do amazing things to increase awareness of cyclists and roads. Those efforts are thwarted by riders that intentionally provoke motorists.

Many will disagree with me and some will attack what I am saying. That's your right. BUT, don't complain if a motorist acts like a jackass to you and you're one of the riders that run red lights, stop signs and take up an entire lane during rush hour. You're part of the problem, not part of the solution....if this applies to you.

To minimize bad encounters with motorists, I ride routes that have a bike lane, wide shoulder or a dedicate center lane for turning. I stop at stop lights. If there is no traffic at all, I'll cautiously proceed. If it's a stop sign, same deal. I don't cruise through one unless there is no traffic.

I commuted to work for about three years in Phoenix Arizona and never had a problem abiding by those few rules. If I got off work late and hit peak traffic, heck I'd ride a different route or ride the sidewalk. I only once had an encounter with a motorist but he truly didn't see me and apologized.

--

Last edited by drlogik; 04-05-21 at 07:22 PM.
Likes For drlogik:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.