Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Can lighter and stiffer bike make climbing significantly faster

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Can lighter and stiffer bike make climbing significantly faster

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 11:15 PM
nathand

Bikes: 2018 Jamis Renegade Exploit, 1996 Trek 930, mid-90's Dean El Diente, 2010 Scott Addict SL, 1998 Trek 730, Xtracycle EdgeRunner 30D, Xtracycle Swoop, 1992 Trek 790

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Not quite answering what you asked, but if you're looking for a way to spend some money to get faster, have you done a professional bike fit? It's possible some simple tweaks to your position on the bike might get you more gains than a lighter bike. If you do decide to get a carbon bike later, you'll know what size and geometry you should look at, and you can match the fit on the new bike to the old one as a good starting point.
Old 04-01-21, 04:37 AM
downhillmaster

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
You said you are training. So do you want to train less with a lighter bike?
Do you also buy light weight dumbbells?
I heard they make CF dumbbells now....
This.
Finally some common sense in this ridiculous thread.
Old 04-01-21, 07:24 AM
asgelle

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 451 Times in 265 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
The weight difference would make a proportional change in the gravity term but not affect the other terms.
A change in weight has the same effect on rolling resistance as it does on the gravity term.
Likes For asgelle:
Old 04-01-21, 07:35 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
You said you are training. So do you want to train less with a lighter bike?
Do you also buy light weight dumbbells?
I heard they make CF dumbbells now....
Umm, what? Am I misunderstanding you?

You can train with a power meter, with a HR monitor, with RPE...And the bike's weight has no impact.

To be clear: a heavier bike is not a training advantage.
Old 04-01-21, 07:50 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Umm, what? Am I misunderstanding you?

You can train with a power meter, with a HR monitor, with RPE...And the bike's weight has no impact.

To be clear: a heavier bike is not a training advantage.
Going up a hill with a lighter bike should be the exact same effort as with a heavier bike. Only difference, the lighter bike will be a bit faster at given effort. Sot he training effect (growing muscles, lung training, heart etc.) should be the same. Power meter also should read the same.

My point: making a TRAINING bike lighter isn't helping with he training effort. it will make a difference for a race day bike, obviously, because there speed matters.
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 04-01-21, 08:13 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6963 Post(s)
Liked 10,961 Times in 4,687 Posts
Going up a hill with a lighter bike should be the exact same effort as with a heavier bike. Only difference, the lighter bike will be a bit faster at given effort. Sot he training effect (growing muscles, lung training, heart etc.) should be the same. Power meter also should read the same.

My point: making a TRAINING bike lighter isn't helping with he training effort. it will make a difference for a race day bike, obviously, because there speed matters.
Agreed, and thanks for the clarification. We are in agreement.

Coincidentally, I do much of my winter and spring training on a rather heavy bike, but that is because I choose the bike with a very comfy Brooks saddle, fenders, and sturdy steel frame and fork. But anyone who is worried about speed when training is not doing it correctly.
Old 04-01-21, 08:28 AM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Agreed, and thanks for the clarification. We are in agreement.

Coincidentally, I do much of my winter and spring training on a rather heavy bike, but that is because I choose the bike with a very comfy Brooks saddle, fenders, and sturdy steel frame and fork. But anyone who is worried about speed when training is not doing it correctly.
I ride my fatbike in deep snow. But this spring using my hybrid bike I could use the tallest gear a few times, which I never used last year. It was nice to ride on the path with all the people that apparently had their first ride of the year.

If it wasn't for the slightly different seating position, all racers should ride a fatbike for training. Use cheap tires and you even pedal when most people coast = added training!

if you want to train, use some strap and attach to a pulled brake lever :-)
Likes For HerrKaLeun:
Old 04-01-21, 09:16 AM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by asgelle
A change in weight has the same effect on rolling resistance as it does on the gravity term.
Ah yes, that’s true for the rolling resistance term. However, 3% of, say, 30W would only be 1W, so it is a smaller effect on your workload than 3% of the climbing term, which for me would often be around 7-8W. Good catch though. I was thinking more about the air drag term.

Otto
Old 04-01-21, 09:33 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
lighter stiffer you would help as well
Old 04-01-21, 09:57 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
I was never a real weight weenie, but many decades ago I tried to get my bike lighter and actually cut an inch off an aluminum seat post. I really have to look back and laugh at that one.

For me the rationale was not having the lightest bike that I could get, it was to make my bike as light as I could so when I was struggling up a hill I knew it was not the bike. It was just psychological.

Speed is relative, personal speed is one thing and if it important to you then go lighter and stiffer. Competitive speed is something else. Until you are smoking everyone else on a climb, it isn’t important.

John
Old 04-01-21, 10:26 AM
2old

Quoted: 882 Post(s)
Liked 821 Times in 620 Posts
I've never read anything definitive about this topic (and wish someone would tackle it), but intuitively think (from my experience) that weight off the bike is more important for climbing. In any event, Mother Nature doesn't acquiesce; less weight means better efficiency. Lose a couple of pounds off the bike and your power/weight ratio will increase and you'll ascend faster everything else being equal. I doubt the difference in stiffness will have influence unless one or the other isn't adequate.
Old 04-01-21, 11:08 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
A carbon bike isn't going to improve your fitness or make you a better rider....Continue training on your aluminum bike.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 04-01-21, 04:13 PM
utoner34

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Screw the bike, I will just run up the hill from now on.
Old 04-01-21, 04:51 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I have a hard time believing carbon would be "stiffer" then the aluminum frame. Are these paved or unpaved? I'd be playing with wheel/tire/pressure choices first.
Carbon fiber material can be manipulated in ways that metals cannot, including fine-tuning of how the structure reacts to pedaling forces. In my own experience, I've owned bikes built from steel, titanium, aluminum, and carbon fiber. Both of the CF frames I've owned have been stiffer than the three aluminum frames I've owned. My current CF frame is noticeably stiffer in the BB than my previous CF frame. I'm not saying that all CF frames are stiffer than all alum frames, but it would be inaccurate to say that all alum frames are stiffer than all CF frames.
Old 04-01-21, 05:03 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Quoted: 4944 Post(s)
Liked 8,084 Times in 3,825 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis

I have an older aluminum roadie that is stiffer than my CF roadie. But I also had an aluminum roadie that snapped under me like a twig. All just about the same price range.
I had an alum Colnago in the early 2000s that was quite soft compared with the CF frame I also had at the time. The alum Felt that followed the Colnago closed the gap, but the CF was still stiffer.
Old 04-02-21, 12:09 AM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by utoner34
You could explain why would you "rather climb with a 15lb aluminum bike than a 23lb carbon bike any day" ?

But isnt bike weight different that rider weight? For example, lighter wheels means you ride faster, dont they? Or you are saying if I ride 5kg bike and weight 70kg, I will ride as fast as if I ride 10kg bike and weight 65kg?
Back before carbon bikes, when I was doing club rides and some track riding, the ride leaders and coaches always stressed that the best way to lighten the bike was to push away from the dinner table. Their rationale was the discipline for that tactic would give more benefit that chasing bike weight loss grams.
Old 04-02-21, 12:19 AM
downhillmaster

Quoted: 980 Post(s)
Liked 776 Times in 402 Posts
Originally Posted by utoner34
Screw the bike, I will just run up the hill from now on.
Before doing that, you should post on the runner’s forums as to which sneakers are best for hills.
I hear that carbon fiber laces are now all the rage
Old 04-02-21, 06:40 AM
noimagination

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 248 Posts
Originally Posted by blacknbluebikes
You're the engine, so remember that as the "first factor" regardless of what's under you. Second, weight is a bigger factor than stiffness. I'd rather climb with a 15lb aluminum bike than a 23lb carbon bike any day. Third, it's easier for me to lose 3lbs than it is to make a 23lb bike become a 20lb bike (cheaper, too). Fourth, I only hear sprinters fussing about stiffness, rarely climbers.
True, but riding a lighter and stiffer bike can make a big difference in how fast it feels when climbing.

I test rode a Serotta Ottrot about 15 years ago, and I was riding (still ride) a 1995 Cannodale T700 (aluminum frame touring bike). The weight difference between the two bikes was probably in the neighborhood of 10 lb, my touring rig had 35mm tires while the Ottrot had 23 mm tires, the bars on the Ottrot were significantly wider, etc. Was I faster while climbing? Definitely. Was the difference "significant"? Well, I was no threat to the Tour de France riding either bike so, no, not really. However, the difference in feel was like night and day. I felt like I was flying up the climbs. One climb that I normally had to take out of the saddle on my Cannondale in a 32 x 25 gear I was spinning in the saddle on the Ottrot in a 39 x 25 gear.

I guess I'd answer the OP's question by saying that, objectively there may be a small but measurable increase in speed and that subjectively there could be a "significant" difference. The magnitude of the objective and subjective differences depend on many factors, including not only the differences in weight and "stiffness", but in tires/tire pressure, relative weight of the wheels, width of bars, etc. - even differences in stand-over height can have an effect on how fast a bike feels.
Likes For noimagination:
Old 04-02-21, 06:41 AM
utoner34

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Interesting, just watched this, He says "I was loosing 20 seconds per lap" when he had to change bikes after is tire blow

Likes For utoner34:
Old 04-05-21, 11:22 AM
itmw

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Put 3 lbs of ball bearings in your water bottle and time yourself a few times with and without, take an average and you'll know
Old 04-06-21, 06:01 AM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked 812 Times in 410 Posts
Yes. When racing in the Alps and Pyrenees back in the day, we had (some of us) special bikes. These bikes were lighter than the bikes we used on the flats. They had lighter frames, wheels, and tires, and were geared better. However, there was more risk of punctures (like the '98 Tour in which Jan Ulrich punctured, and Pantani went on to with the stage and the Tour).
Old 04-06-21, 10:55 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 379 Post(s)
Liked 394 Times in 233 Posts
Thoughtful answer: as stated here many times, weight is your enemy going uphill. A lighter bike will climb faster and save you precious seconds in your grand tour or local Wednesday Worlds.

Wiseguy answer: You can get the same savings by losing 5lbs, taking only one water bottle and removing unnecessary keys from your pocket. Cost: zero.

The real answer: Let's understand the real question: should you buy that new bike? Hell yes, buy the bike! Just having a new bike will make you not only faster, but the envy of your mates. You will love riding it, taking pictures of it, talking about it and just looking at it. In your mind, Phil Liggett will narrate all of your epic climbs as you "dance on your pedals" on the way to a mountaintop world championship.