Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Regina Freewheel

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-21, 01:38 PM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Regina Freewheel

Just removed this freewheel from a Motobecane on a rebuild for an older gentleman who wants to give the bike to his grandson (aka, free labor) After some discussion on C&V forum and receiving an education about this freewheel and the scarcity of the tool to remove it, I have convinced friend to use a different model. Would like to sell this to buy replacement period appropriate piece, probably a six speed Suntour.

It was reported to me that the FW was in use for about two years, as transportation about town, but then was stored in garage for next 40 years, with occasional riding in the few years afterwards. I am happy to give a decent price to BF members. I do NOT want to sell it on Ebay

The prongs are in good shape, there is NO wear on the teeth and the freewheel spins freely and cleanly. Threads for mounting are perfect. I have lightly cleaned off some superficial rust, and have not oiled the mechanism, expecting that a buyer would prefer to use their own method of lubrication. It does roll smooth however, there is a distinct chatter. I have been told that this is common with this FW.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Regina Extra removed from 1974 Motobecane with Phil Wood hubs

Prongs have tiny bit of damage

Could not see any wear on the teeth,

Old 04-03-21, 04:31 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
IIRC several have sold on here for about $20-25 including shipping. Also think last ones on here were 6 speeds.
Perhaps you'd do as well using Craigslist and saving shipping?
Likes For WGB:
Old 04-03-21, 04:57 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3803 Post(s)
Liked 3,324 Times in 2,170 Posts
-----

first thing shoppers will wish to know is threading

Phil hub would have been BSC but gear block could be Italian thread

a metric threaded block would not mount to a BSC hub so we know it is not that...

it appears to be unmarked as to threading

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 04-03-21, 05:12 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26390 Post(s)
Liked 10,366 Times in 7,197 Posts
...the Suntour 6 "Ultra" freewheel that is spaced narrow enough to fit in the same spot as a 5 cog (thus 120mm rear D/O spacing), is much harder to find used, and thus often ridiculously expensive. Given your stated goals for use of this bicycle, you would be doing everyone involved a favor by just staying with a 5 cog, in about the same range as the one you removed. The overall gearing range will be the same, and with the rear cogs spaced a little wider, it will be easier to shift.

If your dropouts are spaced at 126, forget I said anything.
Old 04-03-21, 05:27 PM
ManekiNico

Bikes: ’85 Pinarello Treviso

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 39 Posts
Sutherland’s Handbook (5th ed.) provides the following guide to Regina freewheel threading:
Old Marking
English – F.I. stamped in back
French – F.F. stamped in back
Italian – Nothing stamped in back
Current Marking
ISO – 3 grooves in back
English – 1 groove in back
French – 2 grooves in back
Italian – NO grooves in back

The guide doesn’t specify which freewheel bodies this applies to, but it’s probably accurate for Extra models. In your case “unmarked” would suggest Italian.
Old 04-03-21, 07:33 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
IIRC several have sold on here for about $20-25 including shipping. Also think last ones on here were 6 speeds.
Perhaps you'd do as well using Craigslist and saving shipping?
These sell for about $25 here and $40 or so on Ebay with PITA Shipping. and fees. the French actually charge a Import fee to re import a used French part to France.
Likes For zukahn1:
Old 04-06-21, 11:01 AM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Originally Posted by juvela
-----

first thing shoppers will wish to know is threading

Phil hub would have been BSC but gear block could be Italian thread

a metric threaded block would not mount to a BSC hub so we know it is not that...

it appears to be unmarked as to threading

-----
I did some research about Italian vs ISO thread on FW on this forum and found this.

"Regarding the Italian/English freewheels compatibility issue, our rule of thumb was that you could place an English threaded freewheel on an Italian theaded hub (or vica-versa), so long as you did not later revert to a freewheel with threading that matched the hub. "
from T-Mar on 1/18/06 in a thread titled "Itallian vs ISO freewheel thread"

That said, I do think this must be Italian threaded as discussed in several comments in this thread, as the FW is unmarked.

I am sorely tempted to replace this freewheel on the bicycle and advise the grandson (in writing) as to the issues with the freewheel.

Old 04-06-21, 11:06 AM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by ManekiNico
Sutherland’s Handbook (5th ed.) provides the following guide to Regina freewheel threading:
Old Marking
English – F.I. stamped in back
French – F.F. stamped in back
Italian – Nothing stamped in back
Current Marking
ISO – 3 grooves in back
English – 1 groove in back
French – 2 grooves in back
Italian – NO grooves in back

The guide doesn’t specify which freewheel bodies this applies to, but it’s probably accurate for Extra models. In your case “unmarked” would suggest Italian.
Hi Nico,
Many Thanks. That helps a lot. Also, with my dilemma about what to put on the PW hub now I found this on the BF

"Regarding the Italian/English freewheels compatibility issue, our rule of thumb was that you could place an English threaded freewheel on an Italian theaded hub (or vica-versa), so long as you did not later revert to a freewheel with threading that matched the hub". T-Mar 1/16/06 thread titled "Italian vs ISO freewheel threading"

I just may put the Regina back on the wheel and let the grandson know about this FW issue so that if he takes it to a bike shop, it doesn't get mangled.
Cheers!

Old 04-06-21, 11:19 AM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by 3alarmer
...the Suntour 6 "Ultra" freewheel that is spaced narrow enough to fit in the same spot as a 5 cog (thus 120mm rear D/O spacing), is much harder to find used, and thus often ridiculously expensive. Given your stated goals for use of this bicycle, you would be doing everyone involved a favor by just staying with a 5 cog, in about the same range as the one you removed. The overall gearing range will be the same, and with the rear cogs spaced a little wider, it will be easier to shift.

If your dropouts are spaced at 126, forget I said anything.
Hey 3alarm,
They are indeed spaced at 120. BUT other members have pointed out an issue...I probably have italian threads on the FW (see other replies). However, it is possible to go to ISO as long as I don't try to go BACK to the Italian thread.
I have a beauty of Suntour Procomp 5 speed 14-32. Would be helpful for the hills we have around here. I think the Suntour VG-t Lux cage is long enough to handle the 32 cog. Still, I am considering just replacing the original Regina, with a word to the grandson about the Freewheel, (in writing) in case he takes it to a shop. Will definitely advise him not to "upgrade" it with some LBS with no history mechanic wanting to throw a different FW on it.
TNX

Old 04-06-21, 08:17 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 789 Post(s)
Liked 1,739 Times in 630 Posts
Originally Posted by Nubra
Hey 3alarm,
They are indeed spaced at 120. BUT other members have pointed out an issue...I probably have italian threads on the FW (see other replies). However, it is possible to go to ISO as long as I don't try to go BACK to the Italian thread.
I have a beauty of Suntour Procomp 5 speed 14-32. Would be helpful for the hills we have around here. I think the Suntour VG-t Lux cage is long enough to handle the 32 cog. Still, I am considering just replacing the original Regina, with a word to the grandson about the Freewheel, (in writing) in case he takes it to a shop. Will definitely advise him not to "upgrade" it with some LBS with no history mechanic wanting to throw a different FW on it.
TNX
It can be done but with some one that has a old school set of threading tools to reset the thread. My advice is if you want the bike road just get a nice different get wheelset you can buy nice retro sets for complete with tires for a $100 or so.

it

i

it can