Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Fixie Legends

Old 04-04-21, 11:01 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2693 Post(s)
Liked 485 Times in 350 Posts
Fixie Legends

Check out these lunatics flowing through traffic at high speeds on fixies.
Just found this channel last week and its been my guilty pleasure since, I feel like riding a fixie makes you more in tune with your bike and a better cyclist in general. This is something ive heard people say but I didn't really understand until I watched videos like this of messengers in NYC killing it on their fixies. I used to be a messenger and thought fixies were dumb and their riders insane, but now im thinking of going out and learning how to ride fixed gear. Did anyone go from years of riding normal bikes to riding fixies or is it really something you want to learn as a child? Did you learn any valuable skills when learning to ride fixie? I tried riding one once and bailed after like 5 minutes lol
Old 04-04-21, 11:03 AM
LarrySellerz

Like watch how he gets off his bike at 7:33 what a G. Also everything near the end is a deathwish like jesus these guys can control their bikes well

Last edited by LarrySellerz; 04-04-21 at 11:27 AM.
Likes For LarrySellerz:
Old 04-04-21, 09:33 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Huh.

A lot of the park stuff is the type of riding my friends and I did when we were teenagers on BMX bikes.

I NEVER knew some people rode road frames like that. Bunny hopping over curbs and riding down stairs and what not.

Its a big part of the reason I’ve dismissed road bikes.

Other than these guys... Does anyone else ride the **** out of a road frame?
Maybe part of the problem might be if you come up short and don’t quite clear something a road frame won’t take it like a BMX or MTB frame?
Old 04-04-21, 09:39 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

Bikes: Giant Quasar & Fuji Roubaix

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 343 Times in 244 Posts
Originally Posted by SkinGriz
Huh.

A lot of the park stuff is the type of riding my friends and I did when we were teenagers on BMX bikes.

I NEVER knew some people rode road frames like that. Bunny hopping over curbs and riding down stairs and what not.

Its a big part of the reason I’ve dismissed road bikes.

Other than these guys... Does anyone else ride the **** out of a road frame?
Maybe part of the problem might be if you come up short and don’t quite clear something a road frame won’t take it like a BMX or MTB frame?
I was into MTBing for years, the skills become second nature and YES, bunny hopping, endos, no hands. I have a hard time with manuals and wheelies because the seat gets in the way, but still doable. I did taco a rear wheel when I first switched to road bikes about 3 years ago practicing the endo turns.
Old 04-04-21, 09:54 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Bigbus
I was into MTBing for years, the skills become second nature and YES, bunny hopping, endos, no hands. I have a hard time with manuals and wheelies because the seat gets in the way, but still doable. I did taco a rear wheel when I first switched to road bikes about 3 years ago practicing the endo turns.
Thank you so much!!

In real life I only see the road bike stereotype, older management types, rules of the road, funny clothing, sharing grey poupon on breaks in group rides.

Thank you to the OP.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-04-21, 09:57 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
Check out these lunatics flowing through traffic at high speeds on fixies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVQFUTywIQ Just found this channel last week and its been my guilty pleasure since, I feel like riding a fixie makes you more in tune with your bike and a better cyclist in general. This is something ive heard people say but I didn't really understand until I watched videos like this of messengers in NYC killing it on their fixies. I used to be a messenger and thought fixies were dumb and their riders insane, but now im thinking of going out and learning how to ride fixed gear. Did anyone go from years of riding normal bikes to riding fixies or is it really something you want to learn as a child? Did you learn any valuable skills when learning to ride fixie? I tried riding one once and bailed after like 5 minutes lol
I wonder if you just get better at planning ahead and reading the traffic.
Old 04-04-21, 11:24 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Huh.I NEVER knew some people rode road frames like that. Bunny hopping over curbs and riding down stairs and what not.
Hang on to your chamois:

Likes For Rolla:
Old 04-05-21, 09:25 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montańa pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 720 Times in 395 Posts
Originally Posted by Rolla
You might google Vittorio Brumotti too.
Old 04-05-21, 09:36 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Def some good handling skills, but I have absolutely zero desire to ever ride a fixie. I feel perfectly "connected" with my bike and all of it's gears. I do enjoy riding the gravel bike on the road for that reason tho, I can jump anything I want and not have to worry about beating on it, nice to have options.
Old 04-05-21, 02:04 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

I'm not into fixed gears either, but watching that video you can see where the rider coasts a few times and he isn't pedaling. Is that possible on a fixie? Do I have the wrong impression of what a 'fixie' is? Seriously looking for an explanation if I'm wrong. Thanks
Just to be clear, I'm talking about the first video.
Old 04-05-21, 04:25 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I'm not into fixed gears either, but watching that video you can see where the rider coasts a few times and he isn't pedaling. Is that possible on a fixie? Do I have the wrong impression of what a 'fixie' is? Seriously looking for an explanation if I'm wrong. Thanks
Just to be clear, I'm talking about the first video.
If you look closer you can see his legs get tucked in somehow and the cranks/pedals are just going nuts.
I’m not a fixie guy either, but definitely skillful. I wonder if there is a special technique for timing your feet back into the pedals.
Old 04-05-21, 06:55 PM
LarrySellerz

The rider is only coasting when he is takes his feet off the pedals completely and gets in an aerotuck, you can see the pedals still moving. ******g insane to do that without a handbreak, he must have been going 40+ mph. Plus it was raining
Old 04-05-21, 07:11 PM
Bigbus
Very Senior Member

The rider is only coasting when he is takes his feet off the pedals completely and gets in an aerotuck, you can see the pedals still moving. ******g insane to do that without a handbreak, he must have been going 40+ mph. Plus it was raining
Okay, I went back and looked at it again. I wasn't referring to where he went into the aero position, but right before he exits the graveyard it looked like he coasted, but he was actually skidding the rear tire along the dirt. My bad.
Old 04-05-21, 10:43 PM
Rolla

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1346 Post(s)
Liked 3,270 Times in 1,439 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I have absolutely zero desire to ever ride a fixie.
I'm not into fixed gears either
I’m not a fixie guy either
I think you should ride every kind of bike you can: fixed, BMX, road, mountain, gravel, singlespeed, whatever. There's a lot to be said for breaking out of your comfort zone, and you can apply the new skills you learn to everything else that you ride.
Old 04-05-21, 10:46 PM
Lakerat

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
Nopety, nope, nope, covered in nope sauce.
Old 04-05-21, 11:03 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

I think you should ride every kind of bike you can: fixed, BMX, road, mountain, gravel, singlespeed, whatever. There's a lot to be said for breaking out of your comfort zone, and you can apply the new skills you learn to everything else that you ride.
Put more accurately... I’ve never ridden a fixie bike. Because I’ve never ridden one, I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy one.

If I had a friend who had a fixie, would I try it? Yes. Probably find a giant empty parking lot on a weekend.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 04-06-21, 12:21 AM
LarrySellerz

Put more accurately... I’ve never ridden a fixie bike. Because I’ve never ridden one, I wouldn’t go out of my way to buy one.

If I had a friend who had a fixie, would I try it? Yes. Probably find a giant empty parking lot on a weekend.
As a former bike messenger, those guys are the dudes who ride like you did when you were a teen. I tried my coworkers fixie and it was a totally different experience in terms of breaking. I only did messaging for a year or two but there are tons of guys who ride fixies and do bunny hops etc.
Old 04-06-21, 08:59 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Agreed, it's good to mix it up, gravel riding has def improved my road handling skills, getting comfortable with the bike getting loose will make you a more confident/skilled rider in all conditions.

But having watched fixie/singlespeed, and even 1x guys, struggle at various events/rides, there is no appeal to me for the riding I like to do (fast/long distance). I lived on my BMX bike as a kid, but it always looks odd when I see an adult on a BMX. lol
Likes For Rides4Beer:
Old 04-06-21, 09:40 AM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

As a former bike messenger, those guys are the dudes who ride like you did when you were a teen. I tried my coworkers fixie and it was a totally different experience in terms of breaking. I only did messaging for a year or two but there are tons of guys who ride fixies and do bunny hops etc.
I watched the video with my wife. We laughed at the occupational danger to wages paid and the thought of disability coverage. “But maybe it would be possible to insure because the payout would be so low.”

Definitely probably a blast for young guys.
Old 04-06-21, 10:49 AM
thehammerdog

Bikes: Road bike is a Carbon Bianchi C2C & Grandis (1980's), Gary Fisher Mt Bike, Trek Tandem & Mongoose SS MTB circa 1992.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 722 Post(s)
Liked 353 Times in 226 Posts
Check out these lunatics flowing through traffic at high speeds on fixies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxVQFUTywIQ Just found this channel last week and its been my guilty pleasure since, I feel like riding a fixie makes you more in tune with your bike and a better cyclist in general. This is something ive heard people say but I didn't really understand until I watched videos like this of messengers in NYC killing it on their fixies. I used to be a messenger and thought fixies were dumb and their riders insane, but now im thinking of going out and learning how to ride fixed gear. Did anyone go from years of riding normal bikes to riding fixies or is it really something you want to learn as a child? Did you learn any valuable skills when learning to ride fixie? I tried riding one once and bailed after like 5 minutes lol
1st off wow impressive
2nd tis why guys inguars hate us.
​​the opening scene was crazy unsafe riding.
i ride in nyc i see these guys its crazy.
Old 04-07-21, 05:44 PM
Dylansbob 
2k miles from the midwest

Bikes: ~'75 Colin Laing, '80s Schwinn SuperSport 650b, ex-Backroads ti project...

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 931 Times in 446 Posts
I wonder if you just get better at planning ahead and reading the traffic.

Yes.

As someone who has a few fixed 2000m/years this decade. To ride safely-ish on a fixed gear in traffic, you have to be hyper-alert for everything. You also learn how to bunnyhop from any pedal position.
Old 04-07-21, 06:26 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Originally Posted by Dylansbob
Yes.

As someone who has a few fixed 2000m/years this decade. To ride safely-ish on a fixed gear in traffic, you have to be hyper-alert for everything. You also learn how to bunnyhop from any pedal position.
Bunny hop from any pedal position. Never thought about that. Your post made me realize how I always “set up” before going up a curb or whatever.
Old 04-07-21, 06:31 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Some of us started as roadies before mountain bikes or bmx.
Many of us still riding implemented 'rubber side down' techniques (at all times) when riding.
Maybe that's why some of us are still actively cycling.
Old 04-07-21, 06:37 PM
jack pot 
Fxxxxr

Bikes: wabi classic (stolen & recovered)

Quoted: 2670 Post(s)
Liked 1,149 Times in 871 Posts
I ride fixed and I broke my shoulder on 12/28 and I will say that i will never take chances again.i will never take chances again. i will never take chances again.iwill never take chances again. I will never take chances again.I will never take chances again.i will never take chances again. i will never take chances again.iwillnever take chances again.i will never take chances again. i will never take chances again. iwill never take chances again. will never take chances again. i will never take chances again.iwill never take chance again.iwill never take chances again. I will never take chances again. I will never take chances again
Old 04-08-21, 02:17 PM
Sonofamechanic 
Go Ride!

Bikes: Klein Quantum Pro, Klein Attitude, Azuki SS, Merckx AXM, Klein Quantum Race, Klein Quantum

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 87 Posts
To answer the original question, I commuted by fixie for 3 years after 5 years of traditional “10 speed” set ups. Enjoyed the fixie commutes far more. Memorable rides...etched into the soul type of rides. I did add a front brake but rarely used it—there is a connectedness with the bike you mentally and physically have on a fixie that you don’t get on a freewheel....but its not for everyone and it sure isn't as adaptable.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.